Home Forums Bike Forum Bird Aeris AM

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 139 total)
  • Bird Aeris AM
  • ryanmart96
    Free Member

Off the back of that not video I think I now need* a 9 and an AM – not ideal

*want

Same here, for the majority of my riding the AM is well suited. I’d love to have an Aeris 9 built up for the roughest of uplift days though! I can keep dreaming…

bikesandboots

Full builds configurator is now live.

M6TTF
    Free Member

No further word on the pre order frames though…

hardtailonly

No further word on the pre order frames though…

Drop them an email … I did last Friday, and got a reply from Clark yesterday.

Basically, build your bike from scratch, put in the ‘notes’ that this is your full build, and ask them to apply the pre-order frame & shock discount to the full bike cost. Select the ‘pay by bank transfer’ (but don’t actually pay now), and once they contact you with the amended price, you can confirm the order and arrange payment.

So, last night, I had great fun building up and ordering my bike … just waiting for confirmation and hopefully a build date soon 

M6TTF
    Free Member

Anyone got one of the early release bikes ? Keen to hear how you’re getting on! 

hardtailonly

Picking mine up Friday I hope!

M6TTF
    Free Member

Pics or it never happened!

benpinnick

I could post a pic of @Hardtailonly’s bike but you know he probably should collect it first ;) See you Friday!

bearGrease

@Hardtailonly – name doesn’t check out.

hardtailonly

name doesn’t check out.

Hah! How naive I was when I joined STW, thinking all I’d ever ride/own was a HT!

benos

Lucky for me I didn’t sign up here as rigidretroperv :D

scylla3
    Free Member

Any news about the 3rd frame colour?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I was under the impression they have settled on just two colours but best check with them on that one

joebristol

When I rang up yesterday it seemed to just be the 2 frame colours. I’d probably buy one of these but medium frames likely not available until March sadly. ML probably January sometime but it’s just a bit too long for me.

benos

So, @hardtailonly. Is it Black or Grurple?

@benpinnick
    which colour is the fastest?

benpinnick

Black is the fastest, gruple is the pimpest. Its well known :)

That said @hardtailonly’s is neither, he has a limited edition (AKA Paint Sample) frame. Its very nice!

hardtailonly

NBD!

@benpinnick
    … its a bloody marvel!

20231208-115509

20231208-115535

20231208-122621

20231208-124128

20231208-132133

joebristol

Blingy! Is that spectraflare over a base of black or something?

When (if) we actually get some sun that’s going to be very sparkly 

hardtailonly

@joebristol … how tall are you? I’m a smidge over 5’8″, initially pre ordered the M, but after the test ride (on a ML) changed to ML. It fits me well.

hardtailonly

It only really pops like that in good light. Otherwise, it just looks a bit like a metallic grey. I think it’s a rainbow/holo flake over a matt grey, underneath a matt lacquer … but am sure @benpinnick can give more info.

Yak

Looks good! Subtle and blingy all at once!

@joebristol … how tall are you? I’m a smidge over 5’8″, initially pre ordered the M, but after the test ride (on a ML) changed to ML. It fits me well.

I am 5’8″ and also on a ML (mk2 AM9)in Bird sizes. I tried both and the ML felt best. Dan was there and agreed so I went ML. I am ape +2 , but I guess most blokes are ape + something too.

benos

@hardtailonly You spawny get! :D

joebristol

I had a ML Aeris 145lt with a 481mm reach (ml AM is 475mm) and it always felt a bit unmanageable at times. Mainly low speed drops and high speed / flat turns. Had a few big offs and damaged one of my knees. Even had coaching to improve my technique – but I have short arms / torso and longer legs for my height. Recently ish had a go on a Nukeproof Mega 297 with a 475mm reach and again it felt too long – coming out of a sharp bomb while (still onto a steepish descent) I could mint weight the front enough and locked the front wheel. I never do that on my 450nm reach sentinel. 

I think my max reach is probably 460 ish for bikes going forward. 

nixie

I’ve never wanted a carbon frame but I really want one of these! That limited colour is really nice.

scylla3
    Free Member

Aw what a pity that “limited” colour didn’t make it to production. Nice one!

You’re a lucky guy @hardtailsonly (and a good nickname btw, hardtails rock).

I have a R2 on preorder. I’m 5’7” with longish legs but short arms (ape index “penguin”).

steamtb

@hardtailonly that is stunning! 

hardtailonly

Aw what a pity that “limited” colour didn’t make it to production. Nice one!

Well, it’s worth lobbying @benpinnick about getting this onto future frames …. he was saying yesterday that initially, they were a bit ‘meh’ about it, but then put the ride-wrap on and it really came to life. He said they’d asked for a few more samples with a slightly less matt/more satin finish. So … who knows ….

ryanmart96
    Free Member

@benpinnick please make this one of the production colours! 

rumpeistilzchen
    Free Member

Hi @hardtailonly.  That’s really a nice colour.

Would be nice to hear about your first rinding impressions so far.  ;-)

I ordered a black onen in ML, and I am very excited for the first ride.

@benpinnick
    can you tell us when the first frames (ML black, originally planned for delivery oct.) will reach us here in Germany and Austria?

Cheers, R.

hardtailonly

There’s a few initial thoughts within my NBD thread here:

NBD … Aeris AM (and I’ll sort the drainage in the garden)

It’s a bloody brilliant bike. Since the Hamsterley shakedown, I’ve done a decent ride from the door locally on it, and also a night ride up at Stainburn (some greasy, rooty steep tech plus a chunky rocky trail centre loop.) It’s really good, pedals well, feels sprightly up hill. Best bike I’ve ever had for techy and steep climbs. Confident down hill. Wants to fly, so feels playful too … am loving it!

benpinnick

@rumpeistilzchen we’ll start shipping paid pre orders 2nd week of Jan.

benos

I’d better get a move on and decide between air or coil! I think it’s going to be coil tho…

rumpeistilzchen
    Free Member

…preferably both, of course.

I have a preference for coil and will most likely take over the EXT Storia from my previous bike.

I ordered the AM frame back in the summer and it comes with an SDUair at a very reasonable price. I have decided to stick with this choice.  So I have the option of setting up the bike with coil and “fat” tires more like an enduro bike, or with the lighter air shock and lighter carcasses more in the sporty, touring direction.

It’s always good to have something to experiment with.

Oh yes, Mullet vs. Full 29er must of course also be tested…

So Bird, please be sure to send me the frame on time, because there’s a lot to do! 🙏😉😎

M6TTF
    Free Member

Finally got frame this week. After a bit of faffing and a late night, i got it built up. Hopefully a shakedown ride tomorrow morning, as long as the rain isn’t biblical. Leant on my local mechanic to complete the build, due to lack of a few tools. Initial impressions. The paint is ahhhmazing. Flips between fade into the crowd, and look at me! Lighter than my previous carbon Tyee. No internal cable guides added a bit of extra faff which i could have done without. But the comparative cost savings make sense.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3dIKFBotZP/?igsh=MWlwaXdjOWIxZWNqdg==

Will report back post ride

hardtailonly

Just seen the IG pics … looks great! 👌

Is yours the Grurple? How’s it look in the daylight?

M6TTF
    Free Member

Yes, it’s grurple. Not had any decent daylight since it arrived! But it switches between a dark British racing green, to a look at me, I’m the artist formally known as prince, purple. Really great. Can’t wait to ride it

mashr

Looks good, still not sure if seen any photos of one in proper daylight yet! What’s with the “Fox Shox”?

M6TTF
    Free Member

Just a bit of fun. Paint was looking tired, but mechanically sound. So I decided to freshen them up. I love fox orange, so the fox shox were born!

benos

Fox Shox 🤣 I’d missed that. The colour was doing my head in as I was sure RS hadn’t ever done orange, but I hadn’t seen your decals.

I’m glad I chose grurple too. I love it. Is yours ML?

M6TTF
    Free Member

Yup Grurple. Yet to see it pop, as it’s as grey and wet as it gets at the moment

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 139 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.