Home Forums Bike Forum Bird Aeris AM

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 139 total)
  • Bird Aeris AM
  • benpinnick

It’s the same as the AM9 which it replaces. While longer is getting more popular/trendy, we really liked the AM9s feel in regards to the CS length so we kept it. People wanting longer may likely looks towards the Aeris 9 for other reasons, which also has that option for longer stays.

rootes1

M & ML geo is now on:

https://www.bike-stats.de/en/geometrie_vergleich?Bike1=Bird_Aeris%20AM_2023_ML

good site as allows you at add in bars and stem etc for a quick visual.

rootes1

graph

Cheers @bikesandboots.

If moving from my Aether9a, then Aeris 9 would be better than the AerisAM as going up with bars (depending on bar shape – but using spank and they do come back a bit) and spacers, the extra reach of the Aeris9 would allow a bit of reach loss for mods.

chakaping

It’s the same as the AM9 which it replaces. While longer is getting more popular/trendy, we really liked the AM9s feel in regards to the CS length so we kept it. People wanting longer may likely looks towards the Aeris 9

Ah right, for some reason I thought the AM9 was 445mm CS as well.

Yes, I’ve already got an Aeris 9 thanks :D

There’s not a way of running that as a mullet with the 445mm rear, is there?

datsunman

@benpinnick any option of frame only at some point (as in, no shock at all)? Have an AM9 that needs an upgrade soon.

mashr

datsunman

@benpinnick
    any option of frame only at some point? Have an AM9 that will need replacing soon.

It’s frame only right now

Ignore, didn’t realise you meant no shock

eatmorepizza
    Free Member

@benpinnick what frame colour options will be available or is that still hush?

benpinnick

Curious why you’ve gone a bit shorter on the rear for this model?

Its 440 which is same as AM9 (and Aeris 9 in short/steep setting). What we haven’t done is offer a longer/slacker setting, but instead you have an MX which is shorter, but the tyre clearances don’t really make that a viable short/steep 29 option. So on the AM with full 29″ its 440mm just like the AM9.

The Aeris AM is the replacement for the AM9 not the Aeris 9’s carbon brother, hence the differences. Of course for the MX crowd it is shorter, but we expect MX to be really popular on the R1 and R2 sizes to ward off brown stripes, and on those sizes TBH the AM9 was kind of long for the ride we want – punchy and fun all-rounder rather than super planted.

benpinnick

@benpinnick what frame colour options will be available or is that still hush?

We have something like 6 new colour options coming in the next couple of weeks, which we need to whittle down to three including the black. Watch this space!

@datusunman – No problems – pre-order the frame and I will remove the shock, but be aware you’re only saving £95. Better off getting that new shock! Its cheaper than a service and honestly the performance is worth it.

mashr

Bit of a general geometry question I suppose – why do you want shorter chainstays when running a smaller back wheel?

benpinnick

Bit of a general geometry question I suppose – why do you want shorter chainstays when running a smaller back wheel?

You dont necessarily, but in the same way that taller people sometimes want longer stays, shorter people will equally want shorter stays (than a given arbitrary mid point).

One of the ways to do MX wheels also creates different chainstay lengths. This has the side effect of making the RC shorter for those MX versions. Since we expect MX to be more popular with shorter people as it helps with backside clearance etc. it’s logical that the MX bikes should (on average) be shorter in the chainstay than the full 29 version as they’ll also have shorter front ends on average.

balfa
    Free Member

Its seems a bit dated logic that tall people wont want to ride mullets or that there is no benefit. I rode a mullet setup on 455 stays for a while and can see the benefit. Currently riding a AM9v3 as a 29er and would love to try a mullet on this but not at 430mm on an XL. That would be likely be a bit of a handful at times. A 160mm bike with long reach is a big bike and mullets just make them a bit more fun regardless of you height! I guess in perfect world a 430,440,450 adjustment would be nice! I guess you sell a lot more smaller frames than XLs so I can understand your logic. Would love to see 440-450 adjustment on the L/XLs in future instead.

dc1988

I’m not sure the logic is that tall people won’t want to ride mullets, it’s rather that the mullet was created because shorter people couldn’t ride a full 29″ setup.

sharkattack

Mullets were invented on the race track because some of the world’s fastest DH riders are about 5’8″.

I was late to 29er’s (because early ones were crap) but now I’ve got fun, agile bikes with sorted geometry, big wheels and I’m tall enough to ride them without being bumped on the arse by a tyre. Mullets are no use to me.

ryanmart96
    Free Member

I have pre-ordered a size medium, I am a little concerned as my Aether 9A has a reach of 462mm but the new AM has a reach of 450mm. I would have expected a closer number but then again the Aeris 9 has a shorter reach too at 457mm.

I trust the guys at bird and it’s probably the right bike out of the line up compared to the Aeris 9 (Will keep the aether possibly, see how it compares!)

ryanmart96
    Free Member

Just to add I’m 5’7” and will be looking to run it full 29er – even though I’m a short arse!

bikesandboots

Hey Ryan, I remember we got our 9As around the same time. I’m 5ft8 and had similar thoughts although I have no intention of getting a new bike anytime soon.

The stack is 8mm lower, so if you add 10mm of spacers under the stem to make that up, with the 64deg head angle, it reduces the reach by 4mm. So the reach comparison after normalising for stack becomes 446 vs. 462 so 16mm shorter. But also remember the head angle is a degree slacker on the AM so the different in front centre is 783 vs. 778 so 5mm longer.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

My original Bird was a medium 445 reach at 5’10.

My V2 ML AM9 was 475 reach and great.

It never felt overly small but I also enjoy my new 486 reach Bird.

At 5’7 I reckon the medium AM9C will be grand.

rootes1
    ryanmart96
    Free Member

Not seen much more about the Aeris AM – wonder where they’re up to with colour selection and official release?

hardtailonly

Any update from @benpinnick (or anyone else ‘in the know’) as to when we’ll get some reviews? And dates for demos, full builds and colour options coming on stream?

ryanmart96
    Free Member

hardtailonly

Had a test ride of the new Aeris AM at Hamsterley yesterday … here are my thoughts:

So … it was great. Felt reasonably light. High-ish end build but not ridiculous. Lyric, XT drivetrain, Formula Cura brakes, Hope Pro 5s & carbon rims, Schwalbe Tacky Chan 2.4 Supersoft/Soft rubber.

Pedaled really well up hill, both just spinning steadily, or if you wanted to put in an effort, it was pretty responsive.

Great just pedalling along on boring fire roads.

Felt really capable down hill (Obviously I’m the limiting factor! 😆). Jumped nicely, dealt with chunder well. Did a couple of off piste runs, but they were ridiculously muddy/slippy roots which I just didn’t feel confident on (not the bike’s fault).

Felt really nailed on swooping berm type trails, really taut platform.

It certainly communicates the trail a little more than I’m used to, I quite liked the feedback, but did end up feeling like I’d had quite a workout … so, either my steel Contour frame does just ‘damp’ the trail a little in the way carbon perhaps doesn’t as well? Or, might just be a combination of slightly less tyre volume (I run 2.5 Maxxis), tyre pressure perhaps being a little higher than I sometimes run, fork/shock set up/carbon bars and a not very comfy saddle … 🤷🏻‍♂️ (Also, I subsequently read some reviews of the Tacky Chan tyres that were fitted, which describe a fast-rolling, but also quite ‘sporty’ (rather than cushioned) ride feel.)

From speaking to Ben, sounds like the frames/full builds are not very far away now!

sharkattack

Did the test ride cost you anything? I wouldn’t mind taking one out on familiar trails and seeing how it goes up and along compared to my bike. I’m not really bike-fit at the minute and I’m really suffering on the climbs but also my bike is a porky beast so I was wondering how much difference it would make.

hardtailonly

Did the test ride cost you anything?

£20! But is knocked off the price of the bike if you buy one.

sharkattack

I’d pay £20 just to satisfy my curiosity to be honest. I’ve never had an actual lightweight bike before and nothing made from plastic.

rootes1

lightweight bike

based on the frame specs rom Bird site

the ML AM frame is 2600g vs 3180g of the discontiued  AM9v3 (150mm travel) and 3600g for the Aeris 9 (160/180mm travel).

so saving of 500-1000grams – so 1/2 to a bag of sugar.

they posted this up of one of the colour options – never sure about flipflop paint (TVR yes, Nissan Primera/Micra no..) but in the pics this looks good.

BirdAM

chakaping

I quite liked those Primeras and I’d buy one of these if it fitted my needs.

Prefer the geometry on my Aeris 9 though, even if it’s a bit more of a lump for most riding.

rootes1

I quite liked those Primeras

now that is quite a statement! :-)

sharkattack

Would anyone buy a Primera in this colour just because of how cool it would look with one of these Bird’s on the rack?

mashr

sharkattack
    Would anyone buy a Primera in this colour just because of how cool it would look with one of these Bird’s on the rack?

Hell yeah. Little bit of a deeper air dam at the front, wing on the back – full super tourer look with matching bike!

ryanmart96
    Free Member

I was a little unsure on how the Grurple colour would look as a full build but the picture posted to Facebook yesterday was really really nice!

hardtailonly

I was a little unsure on how the Grurple colour would look as a full build but the picture posted to Facebook yesterday was really really nice!

I saw one in the factory yesterday. Looked good (probably would have looked ace outside), but if I’m going ahead, I think I’d go with the matt black, nice & stealthy, and then add a splash of colour with component choices.

benpinnick

There’s a mint one (not that colour) on ebay. Im so tempted to get it resprayed…

momo

Surely as a british bike brand, you need to hunt down one of the MGs instead of a Nissan…

hardtailonly
    sharkattack

Sounds alright but I’m more interested in long term reviews from paying customers. All these bloggers and YouTubers are just buzzing on free bikes and never criticise anything. They also don’t ride them long enough to uncover the real PITA issues that people have to deal with

None of this is aimed at Loam Wolf or Bird in particular. I’m interested in the bike which is why I’m still here. I always overbike myself and I’ve never had a light and nimble trail machine. This looks like a top candidate.

benos

I know what you know mean, sharkattack, but I also rather like Robert’s low-key reviews. The video shows what a nice looking bike it is too.

mashr

Off the back of that not video I think I now need* a 9 and an AM – not ideal

*want

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 139 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.