Home Forums Bike Forum Bird Aeris AM

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 139 total)
  • Bird Aeris AM
    bikesandboots

We have a few Bird fans here don’t we…

Full carbon
    160mm
    29 or Mixed wheel
    “Wingspan” reach based geometry, yet to be explained.
    13.5kg as pictured below

Some geo numbers: https://www.instagram.com/p/CvKGozwsSgu/

Similar name to the AM9 (on which there was/is a frame sale), same travel as the Aeris 9’s default.

Aeris AM

marksnook
    Free Member

Saw this at the weekend. Looks really nice in the flesh. Im

not in the market but if I was it would be in with a shout!

benos

I don’t really need more travel, but I do kind of want more travel. I’m very tempted indeed to transfer everything but the shock over from my Aether 9C and take a spacer out of the fork…

garlando

<p style=”text-align: center;”>Saw this at Ard rock too.  It looks lovely in the flesh.  Would def be on my shortlist.</p>

chakaping

Looks like a great option. Geometry seems comparable to a Mega or Slash.

I reckon the “wingspan” geometry just means they’ll be dropping S, M, L etc sizes in favour of a numbered system like Spesh etc.

The chainstays are a touch short for my taste, would have preferred the 445/440mm as on my Aeris 9 – and even on that I’d like to try the mullet with 445mm if I could.

convert

Most bike manufacturers have a bit of a family look to their range of frames, especially the ones made of the same materials – that looks nothing like the Aether 9c. The 9c has looks only a mother could love (as an owner I can say that!) – this is in theory a burlier bike with longer travel but it looks a lot more slender and svelte. The 9c’s slabby flat sided tubes has the looks my students (I teach a lot of CAD) with more ‘rustic’ modelling skills would come up with. I guess they’ve (Dan) learnt a lot between models, or gone to a different manufacturer with different machining capabilities for the moulds.

eatmorepizza
    Free Member

Oooo I like the look of that, Bird have a demo center at Hamsterley forest which is about an hour away from me and have been tempted to book to hire one to test out when I’m in the new bike market in a year or so (got a goal to lose another 3 stone first), the fact it has an airshock interests me too for things like lockout and correct psi, being 6ft 3 with a higher than average bone mass and muscle density even when I’m looking skinny I’m still 16st with an “obese” BMI so have never got on with coil shocks.

My current bike is heavy and a pig to ride up hill, most of my riding is a mix between rough off piste steep with drops and little jumps or a day in the saddle getting the miles and elevation in, so carbon is a want for my next frame and I didn’t see any carbon offerings with Bird up until now

joebristol

At the moment on the detail provided it looks decent. Think it’ll be a very decent price for a carbon frame, with the sort of travel / geometry for riding steep tech as well  as uplift days and some flow stuff. Plus good backup.

I’ve read mixed things about the reliability of the hardware / cable routing on the Aether 9c (where all their alloy bikes have had very little bad feedback) – but this looks a much more polished frame in terms of looks and detail.

I absolutely don’t need a new frame but this might do everything my Transition Sentinel alloy does, but with less weight….

benpinnick

Because of delays the official press launch won’t be for a couple more weeks, so ard rock was really just a preview :) Be sure to watch out for the press launch, there’s a ton of new and cool things we’re rolling out with this frame that I think you’ll like.

benos

@convert I’m one of those weirdos who rather likes the look of my 9C, but I have a medium which best suits the design. The top tube being mostly straight, with kink up where it meets the headtube, makes the front triangle look more balanced. But there’s no denying the bike looks a bit like it was made from girders rather than carbon fibre.

This bike is a completely different beast. The slender, ovalised, straight top tube is really nice. The downtube is also less chunky, and moving the kink lower to near the BB makes for a proper front triangle (even if ground clearance isn’t quite as good as the 9C ‘s mid-tube kink).

The other details look great too: the stays are slimmer and better defined, the seat tube brace too, and the headtube area is nicely sculpted.

All in all, it’s a very good looking bike which also manages to have lots of space in the frame and a low, straight seat tube. If it rides like much my 9C but with more travel and a slightly longer rear, I’ll be made up. Hats off to Dan, Ben and the Bird team!

ogden
    Free Member

Like the look of this but really it gets me more excited for what a V2 9c could look like when they update that.

asbrooks

It looks so nice..

I have to ask myself do I need that much travel, having ridden in Morzine just recently with a shorter travel bike the answer would be a yes. However, going to Morzine is a one off life event (according to my wife).

The trip has made me think about upgrading my bike as not only was the travel not enough, it’s also a bit short making it unstable on flat out fireroad descents, scaring me in the process.

@benpinnick
    will there will be an alloy version? I do crash a lot and worry that I might damage a sidewall or something on a carbon frame.

benpinnick

@benpinnick will there will be an alloy version? I do crash a lot and worry that I might damage a sidewall or something on a carbon frame.

No there wont be an alu version, this one exists to fill the gap for lightweight long travel trail/enduro that the AM9 left. We have the Aeris 9 which has broadly similar geo and other than the changing of how sizes are distributed with the new geo, the Aeris 9 is the alu version of the Aeris AM.

We shaved 1kg off the Aeris 9 > Aeris AM, we couldn’t get close to that and still maintain the fork warranty etc. on alu, so we’re not going to try.

Shackleton
    Free Member

@asbrooks just get the Aeris 9 if carbon worries you! I built one up recently with Formula coil and 170mm Lyriks and it is great. Very easy to pedal around despite the travel and on paper weight, on the trails it really isn’t apparent and just trucks up stuff much more efficiently than my (slightly) older, lighter, shorter travel bike (I did a full parts transplant so only the frame differs in the comparison). And it is so much faster on the downs, virtually every descent has been a PB regardless of trail cconditions. Very impressed all round. I even towed my 6yo daughter around GT blue climbs and it was easier than using my old bike or my hardtail.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I have a 5 year old AM9 that I will probably replace next year. Was thinking about getting an A-9, but the AM is a nice looking lighter alternative to consider so I guess I just need to decide if I want to up my budget or not.

hardtailonly

@benpinnick … what’s the ball-park cost (and weight) of, say, an XT-level / DTSwiss XM481 / Lyric etc, with trail/light enduro tyres?

And am I right in thinking full builds will not be until the New Year?

benpinnick

That spec was my test bike for the last year or so. It was just a sneak under 31lb with a super deluxe shock and schwalbe trail spec tyres (so not the lightest decent option you can get).

Price? Less than 4k. Hard to say exact price as there’s too many variables.

Were launching frame only just to make it easy as we think this will be a very popular bike. As soon as the starting bump is done we’ll move onto full builds. Jan latest.

bikesandboots

No there wont be an alu version, this one exists to fill the gap for lightweight long travel trail/enduro that the AM9 left. We have the Aeris 9 which has broadly similar geo and other than the changing of how sizes are distributed with the new geo, the Aeris 9 is the alu version of the Aeris AM.

Thanks for clarifying. As I alluded to in the OP, I wasn’t sure whether this was an AM9 replacement or a carbon version of the Aeris 9 – sounds like it’s both.

I wonder where this leaves the rider who wants a trail bike that is neither short nor long travel. Wants more than 130mm but considers 160/160 and a 64deg head angle a bit much. Travel doesn’t weigh anything and this is light and presumably pedals well, so may well be a fine replacement for a 150/150 AM9.

sharkattack

I really like that. I wanted to like the 9c but it wasn’t quite there and then I saw all the pics on here of exploding hardware. For my current bike I went metal again.

I’ll have a close look at one if they show up in the Hamsterley container.

hardtailonly

Colours? What colours will there be? 😁

superstu
    Free Member

That’s one nice looking bike. Had an mk1.5 Aeris which was fun, as trite as it is I haven’t liked the looks of recent FS but this would be tempting. Amazing weight considering intended use

breadcrumb

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Luckily I still really like my AM9 otherwise my bank account works be under threat..</p>

bikesandboots

It’s here https://www.bird.bike/aeris-am/

Announced on Instagram this morning, still not showing up on the home page unless you add something random after the address e.g. https://www.bird.bike/?123

benpinnick

‘Twas cached. Cleared up now :)

Framesets only to start, as the lead time is still a little variable and frames can be dispatched quickly if they’re a bit late. Full bikes will go on sale soon enough once we have a queue for the frame only options built up.

rootes1

Looks fab for the wider majority more option to size up ot down. Free bearings for like inc Bb and headset!

but as  a taller rider had hoped the XL was being getting taller etc compared to previous Birds including my current Birds. But not to be.

Problems of being an outlier…

suspect it will fly off the shelves though!

rootes1

^ in fact one of my riding buddies has just pre-ordered one!

hooli

If I am reading the geo chart correctly, similar reach but shorter ETT due to seat tube angle increasing? Other numbers look pretty similar to the AM9 I think?

benpinnick

Stack is up 40mm over the orginal Aeris AM160, and 12mm over an AM9, and of course thats with 160 forks. Many folks will run 170s Im sure.

benpinnick

If I am reading the geo chart correctly, similar reach but shorter ETT due to seat tube angle increasing? Other numbers look pretty similar to the AM9 I think?

Slightly taller stack, slightly shorter ETT, so roughly the same fit for most people but probably a little more comfy.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I ran my V1 and V2 AM with 150 forks and the seatube angle was the one thing I wished was different. This looks good geometry wise and would certainly be interesting to test against my Aeries 9.

Awaiting the additional colour choices…

rootes1

on the r3 yep stack etc looks spot on.

But in XL/R5 leas than my A9a which replaced my am9 to get some more stack and running 50mm rise bars and 20mm spacers on the 9a.

think the 5 sizes will suit a wider majority better though.

Sharp looking bike and lots better visually than the 9c.

it will do very well.

dc1988

I like the look of the XL with increased stack. I think Bird have offered long enough reach for years already (528mm on my old AM145) but increased stack is often overlooked. I will be very tempted once XL is available.

hardtailonly

@benpinnick

Can’t quite work out what the website means when talking about complete bikes? Seems to suggest you can (need?) to order a frameset now, and can then amend the order when full build kits become available? Or, can we just wait until the full bikes go up on the website?

Any demo’s being planned?

Sizing suggestions for someone just over 5’8″? Think I’d be looking at a ML (R3)?

And future colours?

rootes1

On the XL/R5. Less stack on the new AM than their Aether9a. Def an improvement on the older AM9 though (I had a v1). Lots less stack though than say equiv size (XXL) Santa Cruz Megatower which is 670mm.

shows the price difference mind. £2k vs £3.3k!

bikesandboots

Need to get it on geometrygeeks.bike to ease the above comparisons.

“Free” Super Deluxe the only option, I see.

benos

It’s a good price with that shock. I’m feeling a bit coil curious tbh, but that’s the air shock I’d want. I have one pre-ordered :)

rootes1

@bikesandboots,

hopefully on here as well: good site as let’s you add bars, stem etc. most bikes on there inc Birds

https://www.bike-stats.de/en/geometrie_vergleich

bikesandboots

In case it helps anyone else comparing reach (X) and stack (Y) with the other models and sizes (circles R2/M, R3/ML, R4/L) whose fit they’re familiar with:

benpinnick

When I get a chance I will add it to a few sites for the geo.

Thanks everyone thats pre-ordered – great response so far BTW ;) We’ll leave it up on that special for another 10d or so until the photos are in for the ‘official’ launch.

Can’t quite work out what the website means when talking about complete bikes? Seems to suggest you can (need?) to order a frameset now, and can then amend the order when full build kits become available? Or, can we just wait until the full bikes go up on the website?

You can wait, but the stock for drop one is limited, so if you don’t reserve a frame you may miss out.

Any demo’s being planned?

Demo bikes will roll out in a few weeks time after the ‘official launch’ is done and we get journo bikes back in.

Sizing suggestions for someone just over 5’8″? Think I’d be looking at a ML (R3)?

R2 or 3, I would say its probably a 50/50 split at your height.

And future colours?

Yep, will be announced soon. If you change your mind on the colour thats cool, we’ll be making sure that everyone gets what they want. production frames will be painted in quantities to satisfy the need, so when you order a ‘Stealth black’ today, you’re really ordering a blank frame ready for paint.

chakaping

Curious why you’ve gone a bit shorter on the rear for this model?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 139 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.