Home Forums Bike Forum Bikeparts.co.uk the new Chiggle ?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bikeparts.co.uk the new Chiggle ?
    oldfart

Maybe fingers crossed ? Formerly the Wooly Hat Shop . Ordered a pair of Shimano Trail Pedals Thursday evening delivered dinnertime today , thumbs up. Proper boxed c/w cleats , best price I could find and rapid service . Free postage over £20 Shall definitely use again .

PJay
    Free Member

Merlin seem to be doing it for me at the moment.

I ordered some tyres yesterday, which were dispatched within an hour or so and turned up just after 12 today (on proper display cards too, so not OEM).

bikesandboots

Merlin are (still) good, but free postage threshold has gone up from £20 to £60 in what feels like one year.

To be fair, Royal Mail has some part to play in that. 48h service is £3.95, can’t be enough margin in £20 to make it free.

mboy
    Free Member

Bikeparts.co.uk as you say, is just woollyhatshop rebranded…

Which is fine… They do the same good job that woollyhatshop did back in the day.

But I very much doubt you’re going to find the same depth and breadth of stock beyond your typical consumable parts that WHS was always famous for (and still seems to be good for even now) that Wiggle/CRC had… Not only has that business model proven unsustainable, but I sincerely doubt that anybody is prepared to put the necessary $1/2Bn or so investment into Bikeparts.co.uk that would be required to turn it into such a behemoth capable of being floated on the stock exchange for $3Bn+ before it then lost more than 99% of its value in less than a month prior to Mike Ashley buying its carcass… If you see where I’m coming from…?

There’s reasonable margin in many of Bikeparts’s own brand products (brake pads, inner tubes etc.) and best of luck to them, long may that continue… Hopefully they aren’t tempted to sell too many more products with small margins at or below cost price, such as the pedals @oldfart has just bought!

Northwind

Ah I didn’t know they were woolyhat, I bought so much stuff for my first mtb and later my commuter off them

oldfart

I guess you’re right @mboy , my purchase was small fry I thought it was a good start. As mentioned Merlin came good recently when I needed a complete group set including brakes and forks for a new build . Nobody else was offering that not even close.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Maybe the void created by the loss of chiggle will allow others to expand. Best of luck to them

ampthill

They were quite slow on a big order in July. Communication was ok but it 3 or 4 days to get the order out. I’ve used them since save they were better.

I think they are looking to grow into the space left by wiggle . But i can’t really see them doing things like paying for deliveries for a year in one go

PJay
    Free Member

I’m not sure, but I think that Merlin might even be offloading some of Chiggle’s old stock. They certainly have some Easton EC70 & 3T bars at significant discounts, which Chiggle were shifting loads of during the fire sale.

big_scot_nanny

I do seem to be defaulting to Merlin and Bikeparts as well.

Merlin are crazy fast, good prices, and reasonable stock. Thumbs up. They have been doing good value 12spd XT chains recently (126 link), that arrive loose in a wee jiffy bag with quick links, so must be a dump of OEM stuff (maybe chiggle) they are selling off but all good.

SJS are always a long way from the cheapest, but by ‘eck they always have the bits and doohickeys that cannot be found anywhere else.

singlespeedstu

Been using them for a few years now.

Last order was very slow and I’m still waiting for part of it.

Overall pretty good and will continue to use them.

fossy

Good to know. Merlin, SJS and SPA my current suppliers. For urgent stuff, I have a Decathlon locally, but, their stock of parts seems much less that it used to be.

singlespeedstu

The extra bit I was waiting for has just been delivered so fair play to them.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.