Home Forums Bike Forum Bidons that don’t leak – is there such a thing?

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Bidons that don’t leak – is there such a thing?
  • tjagain

All mine are cheapo no name bottles ( not bidons FFS) and none of them leak.

fatface1
    Free Member

Decathlon’s basic range. I really like the 950ml ones.

Speeder

Glad it’s not just me that finds the use of the word (even if it’s appropriate – in France) thoroughly pretentious.

geomickb

Can we just call them water bottles?

matt_outandabout

Can we just call them water bottles?

I think everyone but the original poster has confirmed they are bottles, and using bidon instead will lead to a slap….

zomg

Bottle (from bouteille) is also one of those pretentious French words. Flask is perhaps the most current genuinely English words.

smiffy

I refer to my anecdote above. Not even the French say That Word.

(sample size: 1 in 67,970,000). Therefore fact good enough for the internet.

mogrim

I’ve only heard the term used by Brits.

The Spanish call them bidón/bidones, too. Quite a handy word, really, as “water bottle” could be any type of bottle for carrying water, while a bidon is just for cycling.

milan b.

tacx shanti have a twist to lock top so they will not leak. They can be found cheap unbranded, or expensive from boutique brands

nedrapier

The trouble with the French is that they have no word for bidon.

TiRed

SIS 0.75 and 1 L bottles have been great. But my Rapha Camelbak Podium is still going fine even after the new branded Rapha bidons have been rounded on as basically rubbish! I like the SIS more because they require less squeeze then the Podium.

tjagain

Bottle (from bouteille) is also one of those pretentious French words. Flask is perhaps the most current genuinely English words.

Brilliant response :-)

tjagain

Quite a handy word, really, as “water bottle” could be any type of bottle for carrying water, while a bidon is just for cycling.

Eh?  I use the same bottles when cycling and walking and camping.  Do these bottles become bidons when on the bike and then just bottles in the pockets of my rucksack?

stevious

Mega lols at the grumpy middle aged men getting angry at someone using a different word for something.

matt_outandabout

Mega lols at the grumpy middle aged men getting angry at someone using a pretentious word for something.

FTFY

scotroutes

Some bottles won’t happily sit in a bottle cage because they don’t have the indent required. Using the word bidon is more succinct than water bottle that has the indents that match bicycle bottle cages.

Here are the  top 10 images from Amazon when I search for “water bottle”

Screenshot 2024-09-06 202431

In fact, that SIS bottle is the only one in the first 50 results that is designed for a bicycle bottle cage,

tjagain

I put bottles without indents in bottle cages all the time.  they stay in there no problem

clearly I am doing it all wrong by not having a range of specific bottles for specific pastimes

stevious

Again, even more lols at the idea that using the word bidon is pretentious.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I assume the OP has been added to the list!

I’ve got various Camelback Podium bottles that were purchased in sales. Although decent there is no way I would pay the RidiculousRetailPrice for them.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.