Home Forums Bike Forum Bidons that don’t leak – is there such a thing?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Bidons that don’t leak – is there such a thing?
  • reluctantlondoner

A seemingly simple ask, but I’m desperate for some recommendations for bidons that don’t leak, please.

I’ve used Specialized bottles in the past and they were great, if not very long lasting.

Tacx bottles are pure leaky garbage, and Elite bottles left me covered in Berocca the other morning in the office.

In true STW style, please recommend what you use.

dlabz

Camelbak Podium bottles have always worked for me. The nozzle can be “locked” which helps, but I leave them on the bike in the garage a lot of the time and, even if they’re upside down (bike hanging vertically on hook) they don’t appear to leak.

You can also just buy replacement lids if the valve, etc get a bit mucky but the bottle is still ok.

tommyhine

i’ve tried a lot and always come back to the camel back podium although the newer ones aren’t as good as the old rapha branded ones i had before.

mjsmke

Bidon probably does leak a bit. He’s quite old.

zilog6128

I only ever use Podiums. No complaints.

scotroutes

None of mine leak. I have Specialized, Cube, Tacx, Elite and some other non-branded stuff I’ve been given at events etc. Are you putting them in a dishwasher and the lids are being mis-shaped by the hot water?

mert
    Free Member

Podium here too, pretty much all i have. Got all the versions from when they first came out, still using some of the original ones too.
    No leaks to report.

ali69er
    Free Member

I’ve had good experience with the Elite Jet bottles having wrestled with this for years

matt_outandabout

My bottles are usually Camelback Podium but I also have a couple of Zefal elite bottles (no longer made) which work well and none leak.
    The only bottles I have had leak are really old or cheap as chips (even if branded up as ‘posh’…)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

High 5 water bottles have always worked fine for me. Never bought a water bottle mind you always get them ‘free’ in events.

Maybe your bottles are insulted because you speak to them in French ?

stanley

Yeah, Podiums or Fidlock. Pretty much the same lid really.

escrs
    Free Member

Never had a problem with Elite bottles and that’s all ive used for the last 10 or so years

I only have blackcurrant juice in them, ive not used any hydration type tablets/powders for 10+ years, not sure if that’s why ive had no issues

tthew

Is Berocca fizzy? I use hydration tablets and am careful to leave the nozzle open until they are fully dissolved. I’ve never had a problem using Elite bottles, some Lifeline ones or other, cheaper makes. AFAIK no Bidons are designed to be pressurised.

MoreCashThanDash

None of my bottles leak, but I triple check they are done up tight with the spout both open and closed, in a “maybe OCD” kind of way.

cookeaa

most bottles have been fine for me, only issue I’ve had recently was ‘Grip Grab’ who appear to be more of a branding exercise than anything else.

But I’ve currently got Elite, SKS, SIS, High5 and Acid (Felts inhouse parts/accessory brand IIRC)  and none of them seem to leak…

submarined
    Free Member

If you try looking for ‘water bottles’ you’ll find a greater selection of non pretentious bottles that don’t actually leak. Podiums have been great for me.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

When you look at the price of Bidons they are ~ £12

Cycling water bottles are ~ £4

I wonder what the difference can be ?

stumpy01

Most recently I bought some High5 ones that did leak from new. They were really hard plastic nozzles, so I guess didn’t seal well. Annoyingly, they were to replace some really old knackered High5 bottles that I’d never had a problem with & the looked the same.

I got some Elite ones that weirdly had the bottle cage dimple/recess in a different place to all my other bottles & funnily enough didn’t line up with the ‘keeper’ bit on any of my bottle cages, so they went back. Didn’t leak though.

Ended up with some Lifeline ones, which are fine. They weep a bit if you put an electrolyte tab in them & close them up immediately, but that’s par for the course I think. If you don’t do that, they are fine. Shame Wiggle/CRC went pop, as I guess they are no longer available.

Camelbak Podium seem good, but are pricey & I am never sure how well you can clean that twisty nozzle thing. Does it come apart?

ads678

I wonder what the difference can be ?

The extra £8 is the price for being a proper cyclist…

Speeder

WTF is a bidon?

belugabob
    Free Member

Just for the record, when your podium bottle cap gets mucky, it can be completely dismantled for thorough cleaning.

There’s a knack to getting it apart, the first time, but it’s easier, after that.

snotrag

I use the High 5 bottles (quite sturdy, big, see through) and I also like those fancy Elite Fly bottles for actual bike use/racing because of how squishy they are. None of them leak.

I suspect, as above, you hadn’t let your Berocca finish frothing off and thus made yourself a little bright orange hand grenade!

didnthurt

I think it’s your dishwasher is deforming your bottles or lids from the heat. I’ve had this, and you end up with water all down your front because the lid doesn’t quite fit as well as it once did. Even Podium ones have done this.

TheGingerOne

If the product going into them is a tablet or indeed fizzy itself, then you need to leave them open for a couple of minutes else there is pressure that will make it leak a bit.

If it’s just leaking because, then ignore the above!

Edit: too slow, as was said above

didnthurt

Halfords and Decathlon have quite good bottles these days, and I have one of each. Their valves aren’t quite as good as the CamelBak ones but then they’re a fair bit cheaper. The bottle plastic is very similar to CamelBak ones, quite soft.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/650-ml-m-cycling-water-bottle-fastflow/_/R-p-168920

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-accessories/bike-water-bottles/halfords-700ml-water-bottle-213995.html

ads678

WTF is a bidon?

A water bottle for old French people.

matt_outandabout

WTF is a bidon?

A water bottle for old French people.

Goes with those daft caps, team gear outfits and crappy ‘musette’ bags.

smiffy

WTF is a bidon?
    A water bottle for old French people

I believed this to be the case until I tried to buy one in France. Only when I pointed at the space in the bottle cage on a bike in the shop did the proprietor say “Ah! Gourd!”

I’ve only heard the term used by Brits.

onewheelgood

I’ve only ever had bottles that were freebies at events, apart from buying our club ones, and they’ve never leaked until old and split.

alpin
    Free Member

Decathlon bidons work fine assuming you close the lid properly.

bikerevivesheffield

Love how the op starts off with “bison” then had a “pretentious check – moi” and reverts to “bottle” mid post ????

cp

Elite jet bottles are the only ones which haven’t leaked for me and have a great flow when open.

richardkennerley

Planet X have got loads to choose from, 600ml for £1, bigger ones for <3 quid. I’ve had a few and they don’t leak and you can fit the dirt cap from a camelbak bottle on them. Oh and they’re on 3 for 2 as well.

https://planetx.co.uk/search?keyword=Bottle&resourceType=collection

Fat-boy-fat

Daft cap … nearly p15hed mesel.

davros

Zefal 800ml with mud cap from Merlin

Haze

I get sticky bottles a lot with Elite, sometimes it’s a real wrestle to get them out the cages!

MSP

Sticky bottles are for the pros, FFS the man in the support car struggles to release them from his hands when handing them over to the rider.

tall_martin

Camelbak Podium have worked well for me for the last 3 years. Before that the high 5 bottles were great. I had some zefal bottles with extra styling- they leaked.

zomg

Podiums have a nasty tendency to work their way loose of bottle cages for me. I’ve gone back to my old leaky bottles on my road bike; I’ll try something else next.

prettygreenparrot

Another vote for the Camelbak Podium ones.

I’ve a big insulated one and a regular, er, regular one. Lids fasten well and the lock prevents dripping. Though I have forgotten to undo the lock when starting a ride and been disappointed and surprised for a moment when trying to take a drink before realising.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.