Home Forums Bike Forum Best liner shorts for long rides

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Best liner shorts for long rides
  • mattupnorth
    Free Member

Recommendations wanted for quality liner shorts for comfort and protection on longer XC/trail rides e.g. 30-40 miles.

Always used the endura liners that came with my numerous Humvee shorts but they’re all looking a little tired now and not proving comfortable on longer rides anymore….poor ballbag!

Recommendations and links wanted please

Couldn’t find many specific reviews online.

hollyboni
    Free Member

If the Enduras worked for you I would stick with them, you can buy them separately. I use them too, and despite how basic and thin they are I can ride in them for 3.5-4 hours without any discomfort. I also like that they’re much less annyoing when walking compared to liners with thick pads.

They have a more expensive one too:

https://www.endurasport.com/product/singletrack-liner-short/

BadlyWiredDog

There was a recent thread about liners recently that might be useful. Erm…

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/recommended-liner-undershorts-please/

Personally I’d just get some decent lycra shorts and use them as a liner – I like the DHB Aeron ones. The Morvelo ones are kind of okay, but the trade-off with liner shorts in general seems to be that the pad simply isn’t as comfortable as those in proper shorts. The DHB Aeron pad is really comfortable ime and far better for longer rides than any liners I’ve used, though more expensive. More durable too, thicker fabric gives better support and wear resistance.

A lot of people will say ‘bib-shorts’, but for mountain biking I’ve found waist shorts just as good, plus more breathable for the torso in hot conditions and more convenient for calls of nature.

tdog
    Free Member

If I were the OP, I’d just buy a set of Troy Lee Designs shorts and have done with all the searching reading reviews etc.

comfiest and most supportive of liners ever for me at least.

I just can’t believe I hadn’t worn liners prior these for many years.

well an old manky slimly padded Fox one as with Fox products especially these days, you don’t seem to get much for your money plus their sizing mess ups are a great put off!

mattupnorth
    Free Member

Thanks all I’ll check out those recommended and the previous thread

OrangeLad
    Free Member

Skins are my go to choice. Not cheap by any stretch but after three days straight in the saddle I felt no discomfort whatsoever.

lawman91

If you want the best, go 7Mesh MK2 bibs. Genuinely faultless. Endura FS260-SL’s a close second. Regular FS260’s if the price of the other two scares you.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Gore liners are great, found them far comfier than the endura ones on longer rides, that said apart from the recent weather bibs have worked far better for me 3 seasons a year

shifter
    Free Member

The liner that came with my Troy Lee shorts are too “low rise” for me to wear. Horrible things ime.

tomhoward

My tld bib liners are ace, worth buying an undesirably coloured pair of shorts in the sale, just for the liners

chevychase

I can stand liner shorts.  Make my balls so sweaty it’s unbelievable.

Then again, underwear is a no-no for me… :)

boxxer7
    Free Member

I bought a pair of 2018 Troy Lee shorts that came with a liner and they’re brilliant the pad is really comfortable, normally use bibs but I tend to use the Troylees instead now as I find them a little cooler

vincienup
    Free Member

Onone’s bibs with baggies work for me. I don’t generally suffer back pain but it wasn’t until I randomly tried bibs one day of long riding holiday when I’d run out of liner shorts due to sweat and lack of washing that I realised how much pressure the waistband can put on your lumbar when climbing hard and that bind don’t do this so are far more comfortable.

The onone bibs are usually about £15 a go and while the pad looks odd it does work. Based on my use there should be years of use in them and a washing accident such as glove Velcro attachment to a shoulder strap leading to deseaming is the most likely early death of them.

Remember, liner and bib pads are there to soak up sweat and prevent chafing not to cushion yr arse! 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Best liner shorts for long rides’ is closed to new replies.