Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 337 total)
  • Bearing, bearings, bearings, Who thinks they know the score?
  • jasonm945
    Free Member

Kaesae I'm just interested to know if you're findings are anecdotal or if you have hard proof backed up by facts on the properties and uses of different types of bearing? Also was you're research done independently or did you just use the internet and riders as a frame of reference?
    It's a serious question and I'm not trolling, but most bearing manufacturers recommend you do not take the seals off in case you damage them, and they are not strictly removable items.

Have you're bearings been lab tested against those that aren't as good e.g. the max complement enduro bearings etc?

I look forward to your reply!

Jay

mr_mills
    Free Member

YES!!

C0ckhead has named me in a tag! Get in!!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Jay – already asked that question…..internet research(oxymoron no?) and peoples opinion …..completely non research

Curly68
    Free Member

Biscuit Powered – Member
    kaesae
    Tell me! what would happen to a modern combustion engine if it was say under water and do they make underwater combustion engines? GENIUS!!!
    What's that go to do with anything? Where on a combustion engine are ball bearings used?

I hope he was referring to main bearings at each end of the crank, then you have bearings supporting clutch shaft, output shaft, in fact there are quite a few! And I have worked on engines that have been flooded Kaesae.

bassspine
    Free Member

this thread is like picking at a scab. It has a horrible fascination.

trail_rat
    Free Member

How old are you ? What qualifications do you have to tell us about bearings ?

crazy-legs

What qualifications do you have to tell us about bearings ?

Come on Terry, pay attention. That pile of bearings on the floor in the pics way back ^^
    He's felt them all therefore he's an Expert and we must bow to his knowledge and wisdom.

Or we could just laugh at him for not having much of a life. You choose. 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

wow after all this im glad my bike has zerk fittings 😉

mr_mills
    Free Member

firestarter – Member

wow after all this im glad my bike has zerk fittings

Yes but are you using the right sort of grease?

Only one genius on here can answer that….

singlespeedstu

Don't upset him too much.

Just a gentle turning of the key every now and again should be enough to get some more of the rambling madmans thoughts. 😀

firestarter
    Free Member

😆

Soup
    Free Member

I'd love to follow this thread some more but I have to go and push a rusty old frayed gear cable through my scrotum.

iain1775
    Free Member

the original 'cheap' bearings in my commencal have finally after 2.5 years given up the ghost and i need new

any chance of a freebie?

kaesae
    Free Member

jasonm945

there is only one test, how long they last.

kaesae
    Free Member

Curly68

I was expecting you geniuses to realize that working on motor bikes and working on mountain bikes is two different things. Saying bearing ware on motor bikes and mountain bikes is the same thing is just not true.

kaesae
    Free Member

iain1775

email me well discuss it.

Pierre

Holy cow, this thing is still going… well done bassspine, that xkcd frame came to mind when I wrote my long ranty answer.

Now, I'm a scientist first; I think if something is trustworthy then it is objectively verifiable and repeatable. This is why I completely distrust anecdotal evidence, especially from people trying to sell something. Ben Goldacre's excellent book "Bad Science" gives a great account of this that's accessible to anyone even with no knowledge of scientific principles.

I don't claim to be an expert. I'm pretty good at what I do, admittedly only by the testimonies of my customers, but if I'm wrong about something then I'd rather use it as a learning experience than dig in and personally attack my critics. But I would say I've got a modicum of common sense and am able to apply what learning and experience I have in a practical way to new problems.

…which is why I, and curly68 who clearly knows a lot about motocross bikes (whose technology has a heavy cross-over with mountain bikes), and cynic-al, and probably many others, are still waiting for something concrete, methodically explained, or even just vaguely intelligible, by way of an explanation why kaesae think he "knows the score" about bearings.

: P

kaesae
    Free Member

Let me state my outrageous claims again. Full caged performance bearings with the original grease and the seals removed without damaging them, obviously munqechick. Then expensive water proof grease fitted then the seals refitted will outlast generic bearings or the standard industry bearings. They will also in my opinion outlast Enduro and Enduro max bearings as well as out perform them.

My evidence and the reason for making these idiotic claims. Simple INA and SKF and all other performance bearings are of superior quality to generic bearings. There performance and durability are second to none. To have these bearings altered to be specific to being used outdoors and in MTB applications is a good thing. I am arguing that they are the best bearings to be used in your bikes.

Those of you that listen will save money and time, you will also have a slight performance increase on your back ends action. Just like all the race teams that run them enjoy. Intense, Specialized, Giant to name but a few.

Those of you that simply cannot hear what I'm saying, the thought of you replacing your bearings all the time and running generic bearings in your bikes?

Keep up the good work, I do enjoy a laugh and there's nothing like self righteous stupidity to cheer me right up!

Evidence? the longest lasting best performing bearings in the world but they aren't any good for MTB pivot points?

As I have said and will no doubt say again.

GENIUS!!!

@

@

@

funkynick

Hold on… just checking something here, so you supply bearings to those race teams you mention?

snaps
    Free Member

I'm really surprised that people aren't buying your bearings & throwing them in the bin just to leave you negative feedback.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

^ I laughed

trail_rat
    Free Member

New levels of silly…….you make superstar look like customer service kings …….

You still have not provided us with 1 single hard tried and tested fact – that is fact as – not your opinion/guess/assumption……

Kevevs
    Free Member

"you will also have a slight performance increase "

Wa **** Hooo.

Jamie
    Free Member

I just love the fact the mods, while knowing this is a commerce thread, are leaving it for the pure comedy value.

yunki
    Free Member

Does Kaesae only post at weekends?

I'm guessing he's 13 years old..
    OR
    an unhinged STW regular using a different name to conduct binge drinking induced psychotic episodes of a weekend..

kaesae
    Free Member

Of course I only post at the weekends I'm a busy guy. I do however like a good laugh and poking you monkey all be it with a digital stick is very funny.

The weekends for me are for sillyness, as for super star the guys accomplished more in a few years that you lot will in your entire lives. Me I judge people on what they can do not if a bunch of returds that's retards and turds think of them.

The questions about me not actually answering the questions you put forward has been raised.

So here is your answers, How long is this thread and how funny is it?

Even if I did answer and provide evidence you would simply go off and find other evidence that contradicts it, I would add more and the cycle would continue.

If on the other hand you lot found evidence that supports what I'm saying you would simply ignore it, why? because for you this isn't about proving a point it's about being right, insecurity is like that.

Seen it all too many times on here and in modern life in general, nothing gets done and that's not the way I do things.

You have asked question and I have answered with questions of my own, why? Simple really, you can go and research and verify it for yourselves. Rather than argue you can simply get what you need and understand the situation.

1) The bearings I'm suggesting people use are the best quality in the world, they are the best performing and longest lasting aka durable, SKF and INA. You ask me to prove the fact? should I also prove that water is wet and that a wheel is round?

2) SKF or INA which I consider to be performance bearings, that are caged are better that full compliment bearings by Enduro max or any lesser brand. Giant, Specialized and Stendec who maintain Intense’s race team all run them. Why not contact them and ask them if this is the case. Verify the facts for yourselves and if you have any other questions ask them those as well.

3) Lastly you are quite right they have let this thread run, because it doesn't break any rules and is top class entertainment. Bottom line after 2 years of looking into what's happening I have the best bearing kits in the industry, pound for pound for the money.

What have you got?

Phatman
    Free Member

Hi Kael, can I just clarify with you what the difference between the "original grease" in sealed bearings and the "expensive water proof grease" is. I assume there is some variation in polymer structure or something, is this your own recipe or is it an off the shelf grease. I'm also a bit confused, isn't all grease water proof?

kaesae
    Free Member

kaesae
    Free Member

No original grease for most bearing is specific to them rotating, SLR or something similar not all that water proof at all and they only put 25% to 35% grease in there so a lot of space for water and dirt.

Better not leave any room for interpretation of that or we will simply get the interpretation of fools. By rotational grease I mean the greases primary characteristic. All grease buy it's mature is water proof however not all grease is highly water proof or will be thin enough to allow the bearings to rotate as freely as possible.

Phatman
    Free Member

ah ok, so the original grease itself IS waterproof but the bearing unit is not completely filled allowing dirt to ingress. I understood that, so why not fill the unit completely with original grease. What is the difference between "original grease" and expensive grease"?

atlaz
    Free Member

It costs more? In my experience, making sure the bearings are correctly packed is worth more than any exotic grease. I'd rather use cheap grease and do the job right than do a half-arsed job with something expensive. Course, I guess you could do both.

kaesae
    Free Member

Not quite some of the grease would wash out quite quickly and all manufacturers and distributors run the greases they want, so using an expensive grease that has good resistance to water and dirt but also allows the bearings to rotate as freely as possible is vital. Also greases have different durations on their longevity. To get all the characteristics needed for the grease to be specific or more suited to the MTB applications you really have to pay for expensive grease.

Saying that the grease I run is £80 for 4kg at trade and does 1000’s of bearings so the cost isn’t all that much more considering the gains.

kaesae
    Free Member

I looked at loads of greases and their viscosity and characteristics. To get a grease that last years and is water or dirt resistant but also has good rotational properties to compensate for the 100% pregreasing was very tricky.

As for removing the seals and the old grease or reconditioning the bearing for MTB use. You can only do it on certain bearing brands, so yes you need to do the job right which is why I disagree that simply removing the seals and stuffing them with grease is the best option.

Bottom line is if I can do what I've done with almost no money why can the manufacturers and distributers not?

kaesae
    Free Member

Sorry I have to go and get to work a lot of people rely on what I do to get out biking.

Maybe we could chat via email. Feel free to give me a shout.

jasonm945
    Free Member

Kaesae You should go on Dragons Den, you're bound to win the judges over!!!

My stuff is best cos I say it is!

I'm in.

Jay

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Even if I did answer and provide evidence you would simply go off and find other evidence that contradicts it

Classic! So you don't want to provide any evidence because you know we will disprove it? You should be a scientist!

tree-magnet
    Free Member

That's awesome. I can't wait till I buy something from my LBS and he says the same thing…

LBS: "Buy my stuff."

Me: "Why, is it good?"

LBS: "Yeah, it's better than the standard stuff."

Me: "How's that then?"

LBS: "You'll have to go and find out for yourself."

Has anyone told shimano/giant/specialized et al about this marketing strategy?

mr_mills
    Free Member

LBS: "Yeah, it's better than the standard stuff."

Me: "How's that then?"

LBS: "You'll have to go and find out for yourself."

…and don't bother coming back with evidence that proves me wrong because I'll argue with you FOR EVER!!

julianwilson
    Free Member

Jamie – Member

I just love the fact the mods, while knowing this is a commerce thread, are leaving it for the pure comedy value.

Not entirely commercial, my loooooovely helpful and very very local bearing supplier has made lots of money out of me…. thanks to the wizzdom of this thread I can now sleep better knowing the eye-watering money i spent on 8 INA bearings and rock'n'roll grease was all worth it. What I am taking away from this thread is:

-don't buy them one ebay cos they might be 'falsies'.
    -so do buy the best you can afford from somewhere trustworthy.
    -fill them with expensive grease.

Not particularly bothered about buying from k-tec as I can get a ruler out, measure what i want, pick up the phone or go for a walk there, have a conversation someone about bearings and pick them up the next afternoon. Yay!

kaesae
    Free Member

You want proof I state again. The length of time that they last!

If performance bearings last longer and feel better as in the bike performs better that is all the proof I need.

You're also missing the most important point, I don't care about money. When I say I hope every single idiot in the world doesn't buy my bearings. I really do mean it.

Next time you change your bearings remember these words.

Fuzzy Wuzzy is a woman.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 337 total)

The topic ‘Bearing, bearings, bearings, Who thinks they know the score?’ is closed to new replies.