Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 337 total)
  • Bearing, bearings, bearings, Who thinks they know the score?
  • kaesae
    Free Member

Jamie

You like my tag collection, bringing the funk and colour back to STW.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

show us where the ride spots are you go to, on the map and tell us what they're like?

oh, you mean like this ??

move the mouse over the map and all the routes enclosing that point are highlighted in turn. The box on the left shows the aerial photo with the routes marked too. You can zoom in and out, or type the name of a place bottom left to find routes nearby. Hold down the CTRL key to freeze the lists of routes and then click on one to be taken to a detailed 25k:1 map.

As for what they're like, that's harder. If the route is shown at all it's worth doing. Opinions vary so widely it's hard to say anything very useful. Ride it and see what you think 🙂

Pierre

I find bearings, especially pivot bearings, are a bit like cables – sad people spend far too much time obsessing over them when they should be riding their bikes. The rest of us lube stuff, fit it properly and replace it when it's worn out.

I'm certainly not going to try and correct a troll who doesn't even have a consistent argument and is just trying to use a forum about mountain biking as free publicity.

: P

kaesae
    Free Member

Pierre

Spend some time finding and fitting the right bearings and you fit less bearings, they also run for longer. How long does it take to strip a bike remove the old bearings, fit the new ones and then build the bike back up and if your doing that say once a year and I'm doing it say once every three.

Which one of us is smarter? Ever heard the saying a stitch in time saves 9, I find people who criticise and judge other harshly to be nothing but complete and utter bankers. If you don't want to join the thread or contribute to the discussion why post? as for being a troll and trying for free publicity.

If I was trying to sell bearings and nothing else would I be wlling to have a go at every gutter snipe, @ss wipe, wonna be expert that cmes along.

Not surprising you won't answer the question considering you can't, probably better if you just throw up a smoke screen and avoid answering it.

My argument has been consistent from the start the only variation on it is in your mind and the minds of fools.

crazy-legs

My argument has been consistent[b]ly annoying [/b]from the start the only variation on it is in your mind and the minds of fools.

Fixed that for you Kaesae…
    😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

actully kael I think people are trying to provoke you into your former obscenity as it was much funnier than talking about bearings 🙂

Curly68
    Free Member

kaesae – Member
    Curly68 – Member
    You madam are a troll!!!

Why am I a troll? I didn't start a thread extolling virtues of certain types of bearings that I happen to sell.
    I asked genuine questions that I would like to know an answer to and I get that response!
    Just answer me this then.
    If it is dirt and water ingress that causes bearings to fail, then surely it is the sealing in the bearing that must be the cause of the ingress and by removing the seal are you causing more dirt and water to get into the bearing? The seals are pressed into a lip. How do you remove the seals without damaging them?
    All I want is an honest answer without any cocky replies please.

Pierre

So, while we're at it, you've told us you sell cheap caged bearings which you take apart and re-grease with your own magic formula. These bearings are primarily pivot bearings, although you don't ride them yourself.

Given that pivot bearings are mainly load-bearing rather than rotational, the tolerances of the bearings themselves is not an issue – tight tolerances, ceramic bearings etc. are for high speed efficiency – so using bearings with relatively low tolerances is not a huge problem, especially as the bearings don't even make a full rotation, probably not even half.

What puzzles me is why you are trying to convince us that using caged bearings for pivots is a good idea, when caged bearings have fewer balls so the loads are effectively higher on each individual ball. A full complement bearing would share the load over more balls. This would mean that, disregarding all other factors, caged bearings would not be as long-lived as full complement bearings when used for pivots.

Also, others have suggested that the only reason caged bearings are more resilient to dirt and grit is because there is more space between the balls; the grease becomes contaminated with dirt and grit as usual but because there is a higher concentration of grease to balls, the grease effectively harbours the dirt so less comes into contact with the balls. The cages themselves do not prevent dirt coming into contact with the balls, in fact they present more of a consistent surface to the ball which could become contaminated with dirt (compared to an adjacent ball in a full complement bearing). The seals may prevent ingress of dirt and / or water, but you've told us that you replace the original seals, which at best maintains only their original integrity but also carries a risk of damaging the seals (albeit only slightly) when removing and replacing them.

So in simple terms, that's why I don't think you've presented a particularly compelling argument. And also I think I've given a better account of myself than trying to quote anecdotal evidence or data I've gathered myself. And I'm not even a qualified engineer, just an experienced professional bike mechanic with a science degree. I'm sure an actual bearings engineer will be able to provide better scrutiny, and preferably one who's not trying to sell us something.

And "farts with his face?"… please.

: P

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Sheldon Brown said full compliment bearings should never go anywhere near a bike…

crazy-legs

Sheldon Brown said full compliment bearings should never go anywhere near a bike…

How about full complement bearings? Or were you just being really nice to your bearings and complimenting them in the hope that they'd last a bit longer… 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

You still havnt answered my question …..your research is done where ? You remind me of an mp….only answering the question you can give a smarmy answer to

kaesae
    Free Member

Pierre

You're making your argument up based on facts I never said, like everyone else on here. Your idea of proving your point is to simply make up what ever you feel like and ignore the facts. Replacing seals? Cages seal bearings from water? the list of nonsense you lot have used to justify your arguments is outrageous. Come up with a proper argument that doesn't involve making stuff up like some 5 year olds.

You asked where I have done my research online, Spoken to countless people for hours on the phone including my suppliers but more importantly for me analyzed every single bearing I've ever removed from a frame and asked the riders as much about their riding and how they service / wash their bikes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ok so annecdotal research rather than hard facts ….ill take mr shigleys word on bearing use over yours any day of the week

fivespot
    Free Member

Kaesae.. going back to your pic of a caged bearing ( a bit late, but I have been working long hours last few days, and missed all this fun ) You could'nt have picked a worse bearing! The ingress of water past the main seal (most common cause of mtb bearing failure I have seen) will have a field day rusting not only the balls and race, but also that steel cage. When that bugger rusts-up, its for good. You could have at least chosen a brass or plastic caged bearing.

As for the cage giiving protection ! if water can get past a tiny gap in a seal, it will have no problem with the larger gaps around the cage.

I think we all agree that removing bearing seals and adding or more grease or reagreasing improves the life of most bearings. But it is not rocket science.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Still waiting kaesae

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

kaesae, assuming pierre is talking nonsense about you replacing seals, that means then that after having prized the seal off the bearing (thus damaging it as it comes past the lip) to install your magic grease, that you in fact dont replace it, you leave the bearings open without a seal? Or do you replace the seal into the bearing (having compromised its effectiveness)?

Please tell me how you have "analysed" every single bearing you have removed? As a former professional materials scientist I'm curious to hear what techniques you deployed.

Perhaps youd have been better off hawking your bearing kit as a freebie to try and generate publicity as you seem to have attended the Superstar Components Customer Service Seminar.

oh right, youve already tried that too

http://www.descent-world.co.uk/2010/03/10/katec-bikes-custom-bearing-kits/

Has that Kona full sus you blagged on here, taking advantage of community spirited goodwill, appeared on ebay yet?

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/free-kona-stinky-deelux-frame-19-redblack

cynic-al
    Free Member

Can't you read mc? He can tell a bearing's quality by feel!

Talkemada
    Free Member

It's 4-0 to Liverpool at Burnley. Burnley are relegated to the Championship. Elsewhere, Chelsea are 3-0 up against Stoke.

wonnyj
    Free Member

venemous bloodsucking parasites. ..?

I just can't do him justice.

Northwind

Kaesae wrote,
    "You're making your argument up based on facts I never said, like everyone else on here. Your idea of proving your point is to simply make up what ever you feel like and ignore the facts. Replacing seals? Cages seal bearings from water? the list of nonsense you lot have used to justify your arguments is outrageous."

Epic fail boyo, epic fail.

Kaesae, "The cage surrounds the bearing hence the term cage. dirt and water will therefore find it harder to get at the bearings."

Seems like not even you believe your own bullshit, 3 pages on and you've forgotten you ever said it.

bassspine
    Free Member

gotta say that is an impressive pile of bearings

mr_mills
    Free Member

Best get them off yer mum's kitchen floor before they get hoovered up though.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Chelsea 7-0 Stoke.

Chelsea put seven goals past Stoke, with no reply, in an emphatic win which will surely send out an ominous message to their title rivals Manchester United.

kaesae
    Free Member

5spot yet again I am forced to ask when I said the cage will give protection from water or dirt. What I in fact said was that water or dirt would first have to get past the cage and that dirt would find it harder to sit up against the actual ball bearings as a result of this.

Rust will damage the bearings we all agree and when it does the bearings will at first have play and then collapse yes? The closer tolerances of the performance bearings mean that this play will be less in proportion to the budget bearings with the same amount of ware and the looser tolerance of budget bearings will cause them to fail much sooner.

As soon as play occurs and because of the rust the actual bearings and races will be damaged. Is all chromium steel the same quality material 5 spot?

As for you minqe chick, the whole point of rubber seals is to be able to remove them. You do not have to damage the seals to remove them unless you have hands like shovels and all the skill and dexterity of an elephant.

The reason people are better buying bearing from someone who knows what they are doing is to avoid the seals being damaged and getting the old grease removed and the right grease for the right application installed.

As for blagged a Kona full sus it has not yet arrived and I paid for it anyway. I will be using the Kona full sus to do a demonstration DVD to show people how to service their Kona's. Further more! Madam what is better that the frame goes to waste or that an actual rider gets use of it?

Lastly northfullofwind. Don't get it what on earht are you trying to say

TV
    Why do you think they call them Idiot Boxes?

markd
    Free Member

5spot yet again I am forced to ask when I said the cage will give protection from water or dirt. What I in fact said was that water or dirt would first have to get past the cage and that dirt would find it harder to sit up against the actual ball bearings as a result of this.

AAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

TV
    Why do you think they call them Idiot Boxes?

What the hell are you on about now? Jeezus – you are actually mental.

kaesae
    Free Member

markd

bearings sparky I would think the title of the thread would have given you a hint

mr_mills
    Free Member

I will be using the Kona full sus to do a demonstration DVD to show people how to service their Kona's.

You've already got a dodgy Kona frame for doing vids with though, remember??!

(No apostrophe in Konas)

Underhill
    Free Member

Kaesae wrote

I find people who criticise and judge other harshly to be nothing but complete and utter bankers…

… every gutter snipe, @ss wipe, wonna be expert that cmes along.

When you getting your bonus?

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

5spot yet again I am forced to ask when I said the cage will give protection from water or dirt.

Photo of a caged bearing, the surface of the actual balls is covered to a large extent by the cage and of course the races. For water or dirt to get at the balls it has to get past or through the cage.

There. I even put it in bold for you.

On another note, I still don't know if kaesae is a genius, committing what can only be described as the most elaborate troll of all time, or if he is actually certifiably insane.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Well, in another thread, I remember Kesae saying that he'd had some quite debilitating health problems, and that his mental condition had been affected. Maybe people should consider this, and not be quite so mocking. I don't think he's a person who means others malice, and seems to want to be part of the STW community. Why not be a little less antagonistic towards him?

Give the guy a break. There's been quite a bit of nastiness towards him. I think it's out of order.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I know several people who have had mental problems, it didn't mean they suddenly got a license to be a massive douche.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

kaesae, any reason why all your responses have to include personal abuse? I can and do remove and reuse bearing seals on old, worn and contaminated where I am just trying to eke a little etra life out of it. I wouldnt do it to a new bearing.

From
    http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.aspx?p=help#five

Q: Should I remove the shields or seals from my bearings?

A: If your Front bearing has two rubber seals you should not remove them

Q: How do I remove my shields or seals?

A: …In most cases the rubber cannot be re-used.

So as that lunatic Pierre and I asked, are you replacing your bearing seals?

And yes you did pay for the frame, offering a paltry 25 quid if I recall correctly to ensure you gazumped any of the other forum members who asked for it. Given you've only ever posted on STW to defend the provenance of the frames you sell on ebay, to plug your bearing business and to troll I didnt think you getting that frame followed any karma or natural justice.

Curly68
    Free Member

Five pages! Still hasn't answered any of my questions yet either. I was all for giving him the benefit of doubt and had a giggle at some of his replies but my word, this guy is a jerk of tremendous proportions.
    Not a very good advert for Katec at all. Thought he could learn something from some of these replies but no, he knows it all already!
    I used to be a MX race technician for Kawasaki and Suzuki here and abroad and if there are any places that bearings get a harder work out, then I have yet to find it. They go through such loads from every angle, sand, mud, jet wash etc.
    A bike was stripped down after every meeting and inspected and parts replaced when needed or not. I have seen a few bearings broken etc so know a little about what I talk about but apparently after 20 years of doing it, I know nothing according to this idiot!

kaesae
    Free Member

1. Curly68
    Ever seen a MX bike rider with water up to their ears? I once watched my mate pedal out into the ocean until the water was up to his chin. Laughed so hard I had stains on my pants, until I got home that is. Tell me! what would happen to a modern combustion engine if it was say under water and do they make underwater combustion engines? GENIUS!!!

Bottom of page 4 this thread exhibit A
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bearing-bearings-bearings-who-thinks-they-know-the-score/page/4

yet again MR barns I thank you for the photos.

You know your sh1t curly68 I rest my case!

mr_mills
    Free Member

kaesae – Member

…my mate

Don't believe you.

kaesae
    Free Member

mr_mills

Not only am I colourful a superb bike mechanic and an expert at getting the job done. I also have loads of stuff to give away, like the bolts and chain device and gear cable I forked out earlier, as well as three hours of free work.

snaps
    Free Member

kaesae – I used to suspect that you were an idiot, thank you for confirming my suspicion.

mr_mills
    Free Member

kaesae – Member

mr_mills

Not only am I colourful a superb bike mechanic and an expert at getting the job done. I also have loads of stuff to give away, like the bolts and chain device and gear cable I forked out earlier, as well as three hours of free work.

What the smeg has that got to do with ANYTHING?!

You're weird.

Curly68
    Free Member

So you still can't answer my questions?
    How do you remove the seals without damaging them? Do you fit new seals once you have filled with your grease?
    Just want ANSWERS not some numpty condecending response.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

kaesae

Tell me! what would happen to a modern combustion engine if it was say under water and do they make underwater combustion engines? GENIUS!!!

What's that go to do with anything? Where on a combustion engine are ball bearings used?

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 337 total)

The topic ‘Bearing, bearings, bearings, Who thinks they know the score?’ is closed to new replies.