Home Forums Chat Forum Bathroom window help please

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Bathroom window help please
  • funkmasterp

Our bathroom window has stopped shutting properly. Had a quick Google and most answers seem to point to hinge failure or the plastic bits at the top of the hinges not sitting flush in the cups on the frame.

This doesn’t appear to be the case. It looks like the two metal hooks at the top are hitting their equivalents on the frame and the middle hook is catching on the plastic seat on the frame. It will more or less shut at the bottom but there is a substantial gap at the top. Any ideas or advice greatly appreciated. I don’t have any money to get someone in to fix it unfortunately and it is creating quite the draft throughout the house.

IMG_20241019_134308848

IMG_20241019_134302734

bens
    Free Member

Far from an expert…

It’s got to be something to do with the hinge. The mechanism should allow the top of the opening it to tuck into the top part of the frame. Something isn’t pivoting correctly which means the top of the opening bit isn’t sitting where it should.

20241019-143526

Guessing you’ve got a hinge like this?

There’s either play in one of the pivots (2,3,4,5,6) or something has seized. I’m guessing if you’ve forced it shut, you might also have something bent.

Try opening the window all the way and pulling the top part down towards you as you close the window (mind your fingers!). If something has seized, this might at least loosen it up or realign any play in the hinge.

My old house had a couple of widows that wouldn’t close properly at the hinge side. I used to have to grab the opening part of the window and yank it pretty had to get the thing to close evenly. Pulling the hinge side into the frame as I closed it.

funkmasterp

Thanks! I’ll give this a go when I’m back home

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.