Home Forums Bike Forum Austria: which bike?

• This topic has 39 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Austria: which bike?
  • markgraylish
    Free Member

I’m contemplating a couple of weeks in Austria in July.

I have a choice of fast road bike, a 160mm travel LLS FS gnarpoon or a drop bar gravel bike. What should I take with me?

(Gravel bike is favorite at the moment)

I’ve not done any research at all yet so no idea which airport I’ll be flying into, or which towns/areas I’ll be visiting so it’s a blank canvas at the moment. I’m interested to learn about “must ride” areas or trails or roads

Only “must have” is some lift assisted alpine hiking for quality time with the missus.
    Inspire me!

(Edit to add: I’m expecting to be using a rental car but would consider trains if they are anywhere near as useful/efficient as the Swiss)

rockhopper70

We did soelden bike republic a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. Flew into Innsbruck, then around a 90 minute transfer. The trail bike was fine, no huge sends, just mile after mile of flowing downhill trails. I think they have done quite a bit more trail development since then and have a few more nadgery lines.

rickmeister

You do know that Austria has some of the most restricted European access for biking outside of bike parks?

I know others opinions differ but I go somewhere else.

markgraylish
    Free Member

You do know that Austria has some of the most restricted European access for biking outside of bike parks?

No I didn’t! But very useful to know – thanks.

A couple of years ago, I used to watch YouTube videos of some crazy alpine riding where the nose-wheel Endo turn was a required skill and I thought they were filmed in Austria…anyway, practically, I assume that means limited/no access to alpine singletrack. But what about gravel roads/double track, access to alpine huts etc?

I also assume there’s some pretty good road riding??

ElShalimo

Austria is gravel bike heaven especially Östtirol

markgraylish
    Free Member

Austria is gravel bike heaven especially Östtirol

Can you point me in the direction of any useful planning resources??

ElShalimo

Sorry, I’ve not got any links.

I’ve just been to Matrei and Lienz a few times and looked at the topographic maps, leaflets from tourist info and then made up some 50-70km routes. There’s loads of gravel roads and quiet lanes everywhere. Your lungs and your imagination are the only limit !!

vdubber67
    Free Member

Stayed in Alpbach, Tirol a couple of years back. There was no MTB infrastructure or trails etc. Road biking good, and opportunities for gravel too…

ElShalimo

Also, there are lots of gravel rides in the area around Zugspitze on DEU/AUT border.

Look at the “tour um Daniel” to start with

steve_b77
    Free Member

Just remember that as it rains and shows in Austria the tarmac is grippy most of the year, even after a storm. Unlike the Pyrenees, where due to the amount of dust and the infrequent, yet exceptionally heavy storms it can be very slippy. Niche reference there ;-)

colp

As Rickmeister said, Austria is really restrictive because of the 2m rule and the fact that you aren’t allowed to ride in the National forests.
    I’d say gravel biking is a complete no-no

If you are happy in bike parks then Leogang/Saalbach/Hinterglemm is a good call.
    Plenty of riding for at least a week and loads to do off the bike: hiking, lakes, lidos, gorge walks. Pick a hotel that does the Joker card and the lifts are free.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Just remember that as it rains and shows in Austria the tarmac is grippy most of the year, even after a storm. Unlike the Pyrenees, where due to the amount of dust and the infrequent, yet exceptionally heavy storms it can be very slippy. Niche reference there 😉

Do I need to ask you how you know Pyrenean tarmac is slippy? 😃

markgraylish
    Free Member

because of the 2m rule and the fact that you aren’t allowed to ride in the National forests.
    I’d say gravel biking is a complete no-no

Arse, I thought that 2m rule was just a German thing…how extensive are the “National Forests”? Meaning, is every area of public woodland considered “National Forest”? Or do the same rules apply anyway?

If you are happy in bike parks then Leogang/Saalbach/Hinterglemm is a good call.

Funnily enough, I’m not really a bike park person as I got bored very quickly on “flow” trails and the bike park videos I’ve seen suggest that’s what promoted (outside of the WC DH courses, of course!)

ElShalimo

@colp – what is the 2m rule?

colp

If a path is less than 2 metres wide, bikes are “verboten” unless it’s a designated bike track.

ElShalimo

Is that national or regional?

I’ve ride my bike in Tirol, Vorarlberg, Östtirol and Kärnten and never been told off. Mostly tracks and minor roads though.

colp

Funnily enough, I’m not really a bike park person as I got bored very quickly on “flow” trails and the bike park videos I’ve seen suggest that’s what promoted (outside of the WC DH courses, of course!)

There are a couple of flow trails but most are either fast jumpy lines (mainly tables) or rocky/rooty tech lines.

Regarding the forests etc, they’re either state or privately owned but either way, you can’t ride in them officially.
    Reasons vary from you’ll scare the animals or you’ll fall and sue the landowners.

https://www.facebook.com/YouLikeItBikeIt/

colp

Is that national or regional?

I’ve ride my bike in Tirol, Vorarlberg, Östtirol and Kärnten and never been told off. Mostly tracks and minor roads though.

It’s National but I know Tirol are pushing biking in the last few years so are more flexible.

I just ignore it anyway and give everyone a big smiley “Grias Di” and carry on.

ElShalimo

Thanks for the explanation

Clearly nobody told the gang of gnarly boys & girls slamming down from Reither Spitze for beers at the Nördlinger Hutte a few years ago. They nearly ran us over as we walked up the tricky, partially scrambly path. I was absolutely amazed they could ride down it. 😎

I’ve often seen people on MTBs on the tracks and paths when walking up to do klettersteig

mick_r

We’ve had mixed success in Austria – staying with the local mtb guide at Alpbach it still felt like we were being naughty children whenever he took us on singletrack.

Bregenzerwald was OK with a guide from the bike school in Au – lift and bus pass is free if you stay in the area, and with the guide you could use the top lift (only allowed to the first station if solo).

Similarly went out with the bike school guys at Kirchberg a few times and we did plenty of singletrack. Lift pass was ££ but there was marked / shared singletrack.

But yes Austrian tourist board mtb marketing is very different to reality.

markgraylish
    Free Member

@mick_r

You mentioned “bike school” twice there. Is that deliberate? It sorts implies to me that getting “lessons” gives you access to stuff you shouldn’t otherwise be riding. Correct?

But yes Austrian tourist board mtb marketing is very different to reality.

I’ll bear that in mind!

colp

It sorts implies to me that getting “lessons” gives you access to stuff you shouldn’t otherwise be riding. Correct?

Yep, I guess because of insurance.

I had a chat with a farmer a few weeks ago who stopped me as I went to use some singletrack. Said I could use it if I was with the local bike guide.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Timely…

Given that mountain biking sounds pretty much verbotten outside of bike parks in Austria, how representative is this of the bike parks?
    The first trail, Panorama, is about as far from my preferred style of riding as possible (flowy, tables, boring generic highway) whereas the second trail, Bergstadl, is more to my liking…

So if there are lots of that (2nd trail) type of riding then I’d be interested in a day or two of mountain biking (assuming I can hire a mountain bike for a 6’4″ tall beanpole) and I’d spend more time road riding…

leegee

@markgraylish I’m going to the world cup at Leogang next month, been researching for a while. Solden & Serfaus look much the same, mainly machine built flow trails, with a few technical natural trails.
    I’m gonna do a day at each and then decide if I want to stay a bit longer.

Nauders is the exception and the place I’m looking forward to most.

prontomonto

Not to completely hijack the thread, but is there any good resource to find out which European countries are more permissive for MTB? I never knew this stuff about Austria, is Switzerland different? And to what degree are the rules ignored or enforced? I’d heard Spain has a 2m rule also (maybe it’s regional) but the videos you see of amazing singletrack seem to contradict that. I suspect local MTBers would have a different interpretation as to what’s ok or not compared to official rules (certainly the case in Ireland).

mick_r

“Bike school” just seems to be what they call the local guiding and hire firms. Yes they do skills training, kids camps etc, but we’ve just used them to join guided group rides or the odd half day with a private guide e.g.

https://www.die-bike-schule.at/

Features

andykentos
    Free Member

Nauders is far better than Serfaus or Solden if you are looking for more natural trails. Blindsee trail in Lermoos is also worth a visit, the bike park there is very small and not worth more than a day but the Blindsee trail itself is definitely worth it.

colp

The first trail, Panorama, is about as far from my preferred style of riding as possible (flowy, tables, boring generic highway) whereas the second trail, Bergstadl, is more to my liking…

So if there are lots of that (2nd trail) type of riding then I’d be interested in a day or two of mountain biking (assuming I can hire a mountain bike for a 6’4″ tall beanpole) and I’d spend more time road riding…

I love Panorama, but I love jumping as well as tech.
    You from the top of the Schattberg Xpress out of Saalbach you have:

X-line: starts off fast, rocky, into a few jumps then very long rocky rough descent back to Saalbach with the big road gap at the bottom

Here’s me looking like I’m having a poo

From the same lift you access Hackelberg or Bergstadl which you’ll love (everyone does). Very long singletrack descents to Hinterglemm.

Other side of Saalbach you have Panorama trail and also the Worzel trail to Leogang (the most roots you’ll ever ride)

In Hinterglemm you have Pro & Blue line. Blue is a bit jumpy (tiny jumps), Pro is more technical with the Evil Eye north shore drops as an option.

Also in Hinterglemm is Z-line, rocky, fast, a couple of big timber wallrides.

In Leogang, as well as the WC track and the parallel free ride jump line, you have some good difficult singletrack descents and the massive jump line (Hotshots).

markgraylish
    Free Member

Thanks Col!

At this stage, I think my missus has blocked Austria as a holiday destination as, apparently, July is by far the wettest month…

As I live in Vancouver, I could do with a break from the rain as well…🙄

zezaskar
    Free Member

@prontomonto you’ll be fine in Switzerland, just make sure you are polite and respectful to the hikers

gemr
    Free Member

I moved to Salzburg two and a half years ago with a family and a few different bikes and I’m still unable to answer your question. As plenty of people on this thread have pointed out, it’s illegal to ride a bike on trails that aren’t specifically cleared for bikes. This is particularly galling as the natural trail network is incredible, once you’ve developed a bit of local knowledge. The trails have a ranking system that’s described in detail here: http://www.singletrail-skala.de/s3 The locals all tend to ride 130+/-mm trail bikes and many ignore the restrictions. Farmers can get angry if they catch you.

The road riding is extraordinary good. The tarmac is exceptional and the roads beautifully built. There is a massive network of gravel roads, the Forststraße, these are also off-limits to bikes in most cases but there is significant friction between the Austrian version of the Forestry Commission and the tourism industry who want to open up access. You can get a good idea of what the bike parks have to offer by looking at various websites, there are also a few long-distance routes that are well marked if a bit of an unengaging slog (I’m looking at you, Stoneman Taurista…)

I’d recommend either engaging a guide or spending a lot of time looking for routes before your trip, it’s taken me a long time to refine a variety of good routes. It isn’t Austria but I’d recommend Bozen as a base if you’re open to other recommendations, an amazing spot.

colp

@gemr

Are you in Salzburg itself?

We have a place 1hr south in Maria Alm

joshvegas
    Free Member

Surely you take the Rad-est one?

gemr
    Free Member

We are indeed, the southern side of the city.

ElShalimo

😆😆😆

ElShalimo

😆😆😆

alpin
    Free Member

Go across the border to South Tirol…

Austria is pretty regressive when it comes to two wheeled access. Even Bavaria looks good compared to its neighbours (I’m including Baden Württemberg with its crappy 2m rule).

There are a few well known spots in Austria that it’s tourism people push really well (Blindsee) that in reality aren’t worth the effort. Much more interesting riding usually just across the border in any direction.

I used to guide transalps from Bavaria to the Italian Lakes. It was telling that the days spent riding through Austria had next to zero trail sections.

South Tirol has better bike parks, cheaper tickets, better food, better coffee and more progressive access rules.

Look at Kronplatz, Paganella, Reschensee/Nauders, Vinschgau, Bozen, Canazei.

markgraylish
    Free Member

South Tirol has better bike parks, cheaper tickets, better food, better coffee and more progressive access rules.

Look at Kronplatz, Paganella, Reschensee/Nauders, Vinschgau, Bozen, Canazei.

Aye, went that area a few years ago but the missus has said no to going back… thanks for the info anyway

rickmeister

You could have a look here: http://www.epicrideinc.at
    Viki and Martin are based in Austria but do a lot and they have GPS shizzle on their website.

They also got fined for biking on 3000m peaks even though they didn’t meet a soul.

alpin
    Free Member

^^ Friends of friend…. Rode with them a few times over the years and have shown Martin a few trails around the border.
    Used to be a Freeride Inc Austria.

Their fine just goes to show how stupid Austrian rules are.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Austria: which bike?’ is closed to new replies.