Home Forums Bike Forum Asgard Police Approved.. Current reviews

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Asgard Police Approved.. Current reviews
    renton
    Free Member

Hi all,

Following on from my other thread about the garage getting broken into. One of the options we are considering (the other option being moving!) is a police approved asgard bike shed.

We would be placing against the back of our house underneath the kitchen window, on the patio.

I would look to put a ground anchor on the back wall of the asgard and drill it directly into the house wall.

After reading lots of reviews about the non police approved one being susceptible to break ins I was condsidering the police approved one.

Any thoughts from the STW hive mind?

Wally

Great company, get as big as possible, get them to fit it on a dug concrete reinforced base, into which you fix a ground anchor.

razorrazoo

I have the police approved version.  As a unit it is built completely from the inside, so there are no externally facing fixings bar the handle and keyhole for the lock, it would take a fair amount of noise to make any sort of damage to it.

The main negative I’d say is the size (depending on what you want from it in terms of storage), it’s a tight squeeze for 3 bikes if large mtbs.  In mine I keep a large FS 29er with both wheels off and bars turned so it is flat against the back (I put it in and out of the car this way so no big deal to do this) and 2 x road bikes.  I also have the shelf and hooks so do have 3x spare wheels and a load of helmets and shoes in there too.

I have mine sat on a base of plastic shed base grids filled with gravel which is on top of my paving, I haven’t anchored it.

devash
    Free Member

Won’t they just try and ramraid it or use a 4×4 with winch to yank the doors off it? Asguard inside a garage makes sense to me but doesn’t putting them outside scream “There are expensive bikes in here, come and have a go.”

renton
    Free Member

Understand what you are saying but our garage is enbloc at the bottom of our garden behind a garden fence. The were able to break into and cut though all of the locks and chains I had fitted without us hearing a sound.

This would be attached to the rear wall of our house underneath the kitchen window and we would also put up a security light.

charlie.farley

~~~~~
    Go as big as you can, wall anchor makes sense

Search online for discounts as I stumbled across some which saved a few hundred £££’s with minimal effort

Easy to construct by yourself, I used CT1 weather sealant instead of their cheaper sealants supplied

Anyone breaking in with tools or vehicle ram raid would make a hell of a racket, it’s like a giant biscuit tin so would reverberate around the neighbourhood 

I don’t think owning an Asgard increases perceived risk, perhaps owning a camper van with Thule bike racks permanently displayed on one’s driveway might 

~~~~~

fettlin

No such thing as a security light these days, convenience light at best (for you and the tea leaf!). I wouldn’t bother with a specific PIR light for this, it will just mean the scrotes don’t need to hold a torch to see what they are doing. Spend some money on a battery motion alarm for inside, if they do get in then it will go off.

As big as possible, my Rise doesn’t fit very easily in my 29er double door model. The change in Geo of modern bikes means the wheelbase are generally much longer than when the early ones were designed (i think the newer ones are bigger).

Wall mounting may not be possible for the anchor. Mine has the lid overhanging the sides/back, so needs clearance from the back wall to open. Ground anchor is best, pushed back so they cant get easy access with anything to bear down on.

Get some stickers saying ‘all items in this shed are data tagged/trackers fitted’ on the outside of the box.

Then get the bikes data tagged and tracked…

chakaping

Would it be cheaper to extend your house to create bike storage indoors, rather than moving?

Just a thought.

z1ppy

Just to answer that, he has no space to extend to the side, though I do think moving seems a little drastic, I’ve not experience the issues he has…

chambord

I used to have one of the 4x storage and got a bigger one recently (one of the x7 centurion) because the family is growing in to bigger bikes.

Can’t really comment on effectiveness because no one has tried to break in, but they do make a racket. I’ve put a double doofer at the back into the concrete base with a huge chain and it makes and almighty noise whenever I get the bikes out.

It is a really good shed, no condensation at all so far, has plenty of room for bikes and tools. I haven’t wired in power yet but there are fitting for sockets.

Also not mentioned is that they do hold their value very well second hand. I bought the x4 in 2016 for £475 and sold a few weeks ago for £360 even with some damage on the panels. Yes, inflation etc, they are now £675 new, but I was pleased with it.

I bought mine in a Black Friday sale, it was a fair chunk off so if you can wait then it’s worth doing so

dmorts

The 3x one is too small for 3 modern geometry MTBs. Two should fit ok I think, but others can confirm. The roof has a lip so you can’t bolt through the rear to a wall. You can go through the floor (will void the rust proof warranty, maybe only for that panel if Asgard are pragmatic about it). You’re best using a removable anchor like the Double Doofer (Unfortunately Pragmasis are closing down).
    It’s debatable that an anchor would be needed though. If they had the tools to get into the shed then chains aren’t going to offer that much more resistance.
    Adding an alarm to it (and linked to a house alarm). Might be a way to tamperproof it but false alarms are probably quite likely.

You could put the metal shed inside your garage… but there’s an argument that this could be less secure as the shed could be worked on out of sight.

dmorts

Pragmasis’s shed shackle can be used in metal sheds.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.