Viewing 40 posts - 2,001 through 2,040 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • honourablegeorge

aldo56

I’m looking at a g16 frame just now in size Medium/Longer – does that sound sensible at 180cm

My G16 was a longest, and I’m 185cm. I’d say you’re borderline in that you could ride the Large/Longest happily, but there’s always an element of personal preference. What do you ride currently?

aldo56
    Free Member

Cheers George, that’s sort of what I was thinking. I’m currently on a large, 2016 Helius Ac with a reach of 455mm…

I tend to ride some steep / techy / tree lined /twisty stuff so I don’t want too much of a boat.

honourablegeorge

Reach is obviously going to be longer, how does ETT match up to current bike? For all the talk about length, seated position with a short (35mm) stem is quite normal.

singlespeedstu

I’m looking at a g16 frame just now in size Medium/Longer – does that sound sensible at 180cm

I’m 6′ and have had a G13, G16 and G1 all in Large.
    Mrsstu also has a G16 in Medium which I could ride if I had to but prefer the Large.

Main riding is Tweed Valley so pretty steep and tight.

aldo56
    Free Member

George, These are the numbers on my current bike – size large:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vT5p1B2dbM-sPy-E2m4gfVdUOUyuDTQ9g6YZvgeEx3VBat5gkSDx1LAuVfcoS_5IF7EI7W0mBrjDSkm/pubhtml

Top tube wise, looks like 625mm on the Helius vs 641mm on the longer G16.

I’m running a 50mm stem on the Helius. I guess with a 35mm stem the g16 would feel fairly similar position wise when climbing.

aldo56
    Free Member

Stu – thanks for the feedback – sounds like at 5.11 I could go for either size then. That seems to be exactly what Nicolai suggest with their size guide on the tech sheet. Either top end of medium or bottom end of large.

What stem length / bar setup are you using on your large?

honourablegeorge

Yeah, that’s what I thought, will be a fairly normal seated position, and longer reach.
    Friend has a medium at you height. There’s an adjustment with riding style either way, I guess, but the smaller may feel more normal for you. 35 stem seems to be the normal.

singlespeedstu

35 mm stem and 30mm rise bar.

jimmy748

@aldo56 I am 177cm and ride a Medium/Longer G16. 35mm stem and 800mm bars. If your near Bournemouth/Poole your welcome to try it for size.

aldo56
    Free Member

Cheers Jimmy – I’m in Glasgow so maybe not ideal!

It’s sounding like the medium / longer likely do me fine – especially with a 50mm stem on there.

But I could likely also ride the large / longest no problem.

a11y

@aldo56, I reckon you’d be fine on a medium/long. I’m 187cm on a extra-longest G15, in Falkirk – I’d offer you to swing a leg over it but at 5’11 it might be a struggle! I’d probably manage with the next size down. Reminds me I really need to try a 35mm stem instead of the 50mm currently on it.

And if it’s the G16 in Aberdeen, probably worth getting BOTH shocks with it.

a11y

I would say Norco Optic if you can find one..

@spaniardclimber
    , that geometry looks good on paper – but as you say, finding one. The thought of Evans puts me right off too.

singlespeedstu

aldo.
    If you’re coming over to the valley give us a shout and you can have a sit on a medium G16 and a large G1.

aldo56
    Free Member

Thanks for the help guys – much appreciated!

Ally – That’s the one, why do you say that? (I was going to only go for the 155mm setup…)

a11y

Ally – That’s the one, why do you say that? (I was going to only go for the 155mm setup…)

Only reason being the seller asking what IMO is a small amount for the second shock. Even if you barely used it, it’d be a good spare to have.

Saying that, I’ve got ‘only’ 145mm on my G15 with a X2 shock and it feels bottomless so far, so not sure I’d benefit from more travel on mine.

aldo56
    Free Member

Getting ahead of myself and thinking of my build now…

What’s the verdict on fork travel on a G16? I’ve got a tuned up 160mm Yari/Lyric to hand but I see lots of people running 170mm forks with the 650b wheels. Can you get away with both or would I be better ordering the 170mm air shaft?

sharkattack

My 36’s are 180mm with 27.5 wheels. I’ve never tried anything shorter so I can’t comment on geometry changes. I did switch from a 15 to 40mm rise bar because the front end felt a little low.

honourablegeorge

180mm 27.5 or 160 29er is kind of the norm for the G16.

spanishfly
    Free Member

I have never put 180mm on mine (yes I am the seller in Aberdeenshire).
    I have used
    170mm on the 175mm 650b, 160mm on the 155 29er and 150mm on the 155 mullet (my favourite setting)

Each fork was a Lyrik, initially RCT2 650b then a ultimate 29er, then a ultimate 29er with a smashpot coil on the mullet.

Hope it helps

aldo56
    Free Member

Some man – cheers Fly.

tetrode
    Free Member

Bit of a thread resurrection just to say 7 months on and I’m still absolutely loving my G1. It’s so capable, so plush and compliant, incredible on steep tech and fun flow trails alike, and I’ve never had any problems doing tight switchbacky type stuff even running a full 29er setup. The fact that I’m in the FOD too close to Geometron HQ is great, I’ve called in a few times for some setup tips and spare parts and the service is second to none.

Until I get to the point where literally everyone I know has an ebike, this is the bike I’m keeping until then. I have zero need or desire for any other bike and it’s just the best! Bit of a gushy post but it’s all true. Hope all you other geometron owners are having a great time too.

G1 FOD

honourablegeorge

Two years into my G1, having had a G16 before it (and a G13 that I stiil ride too), loving it, jut a great bike

scruff
    Free Member

Have they figured out how to get a water bottle into the frame yet? Have they even tried?

a11y

Around 6 months with my G15 and happy. Saying that, haven’t ridden it for about 8 weeks after the arrival of a younger, more athletic sister: Nicolai Saturn 14. That’s better suited to my local trails, saving my G15 with its burlier build for days away at Golfie, uplift etc.

Took the opportunity to polish up my G15 frame, this time to a duller, brushed finish using a Scotchbrite red pad rather than shiny like I first did. Then acid etched it using phosphoric acid. THEN waxed it. Hopefully prevents the staining from sweat (ewwwww) I was causing.

speedstar

Yeah loving my G1! Hard to fault it apart from maybe the twistiest stuff. Everywhere else it just feels so composed. Definitely the bike I’ve been looking for, for some time.

steveh

No and doesn’t seem like it. It’s a total non issue to me though, I have a HT with a bottle mount but have never used it.

mboy
    Free Member

Would love to tell you I’m having a lovely time with my G15 still, but sadly knee problems have put paid to that. Long story short, I’ve not been able to ride an unassisted MTB for more than 4 months since doing some serious damage to my knee, and physio says it will be another 6-8 months (so a full year potentially) before I can ride an unassisted MTB again…

So sadly mine is for sale to go towards funding a new lightweight eMTB…

Latest Classified Ads

honourablegeorge

a11y

Around 6 months with my G15 and happy. Saying that, haven’t ridden it for about 8 weeks after the arrival of a younger, more athletic sister: Nicolai Saturn 14

Any pics of the Saturn, a1ly? Is it the ST or the regular?

I have a G13, but always tempted by shiny stuff

chakaping
    Free Member

Have they figured out how to get a water bottle into the frame yet? Have they even tried?

Surely they could just make the frame longer?

v7fmp

I see they only list the G1 on the website.

Is that the only model they do?

a11y

I see they only list the G1 on the website.

Yep. Nicolai do a wider range of similar frames though: https://en.nicolai-bicycles.com/full-suspension/

Surely they could just make the frame longer?

😀

a11y

Any pics of the Saturn, a1ly? Is it the ST or the regular?

@honourablegeorge
    , it was your suggestion that put the Saturn 14 on my radar, despite initially dismissing it as too close in purpose to my G15, so thanks! Mine’s a regular, bought “new” via classifieds from Paul Aston rather than factory order, so no choice in regular vs ST. XL frame, DPX2 shock, Pikes from PSA on here (now at 140) and leftovers from my Tallboy. Still tweaking suspension settings but already very happy with how it rides. A bit more travel than I intended; a Saturn 11 with 120f/105r would’ve been enough travel for me but the standard geometry didn’t appeal. Could’ve gone custom geo but quite a bit more £££ than I was prepared to spend.

Saturn 14

Saturn 14

Saturn 14

Saturn 14

honourablegeorge

Nice. That is not helping my shiny things problem one little bit.

mrmoofo

Question to all the GeometronHeads out there…
    There doesn’t seem to be a lot of love for the G15
    I am looking at a G15 as a potential “days out on big hills” bike. It has what I would look at now a trail bike geometry rather that the extreme HA of others in the Geometron stable.

My other bike is a FlareMax ( so 130/120)
    Would the G15 be too close to the FlareMax ?

ta11pau1

Time for this thread to have a bit of a bump, on my way back from north Wales today I stopped in at Geometron HQ and had a chat with one of the guys (and a quick ride/bounce in the car park) about the new S1 and G1…

I think I’ll be in the market for one of them this autumn, my current XXL Jeffsy 29 with a coil rear 150mm and mezzer pro front 160mm will be 3 years old and time for a change I think.

I’ll be getting a demo day booked in as there’s no way I could make my mind up between both without comparing back to back, on paper the S1 would be enough for the type of riding I do, but I also have a hardtail for mellow stuff/trail centres/when I want to abuse myself in the lakes/peaks/Scotland, so if a G1 pedals well enough to do consecutive big days in the mountains (150km and 4000+m climbing over 5 days is pretty regular) then why not go a bit slacker and have 160/170mm on my second bike? 🤨😁

a11y

My other bike is a FlareMax ( so 130/120)
    Would the G15 be too close to the FlareMax ?

@mrmoofo
    , 2 months later (missed this post initially) but if it still helps, I’d say a Flaremax + G15 would be a good 2-bike stable. The current Flaremax was top of my shortlist when I was adding a shorter-travel bike to my existing G15, before I bought the Saturn 14 pictured a few posts above. I’ve got 140f/130r on the Saturn 14 and 160f/145r on the G15 – they feel quite different bikes to ride: more satisfaction from precise line choice on the Saturn, whereas you can blitz stuff more easily on the G15.

@ta11pau1
    , S1 vs G1 is something I’ve yet to look at as I find even my G15 with 145 rear more than enough for what I ride – biggest stuff I do is the likes of Golfie, Dunkeld and occasional Alps trips. Love the idea of a G1 in future but was always concerned it’d be too much bike, so you might be right in thinking the S1 would be a good alternative. Definitely time for a demo day – for you, not me (another swap of bike is too soon for me!).

ta11pau1

S1 vs G1 is something I’ve yet to look at as I find even my G15 with 145 rear more than enough for what I ride – biggest stuff I do is the likes of Golfie, Dunkeld and occasional Alps trips. Love the idea of a G1 in future but was always concerned it’d be too much bike, so you might be right in thinking the S1 would be a good alternative. Definitely time for a demo day – for you, not me (another swap of bike is too soon for me!).

The guy (can’t remember his name, but damn they were helpful) explained it well, the S1 is perfect for someone with just the one bike, whereas the G1 is a great companion to a shorter travel bike/hardtail. The S1 was also explained as a trail bike scaled up, and the G1 as a downhill bike scaled down that can also pedal.

Obviously with both bikes there’s all the options of set up etc, they can get the G1 feeling poppy and fun, or plush and planted based on your preference, so yeah I 100% need a decent ride on both to decide.

The G1 I rode was an XL and despite the ETT being within 5mm of my bike it felt short when seated, I guess that’s thanks to the 79 degree SA, ETT still doesn’t tell you everything when I have a kinked seat tube on my jeffsy and the saddle goes further back despite the measurements on paper being the same…

tetrode
    Free Member

I’ll be getting a demo day booked in as there’s no way I could make my mind up between both without comparing back to back, on paper the S1 would be enough for the type of riding I do, but I also have a hardtail for mellow stuff/trail centres/when I want to abuse myself in the lakes/peaks/Scotland, so if a G1 pedals well enough to do consecutive big days in the mountains (150km and 4000+m climbing over 5 days is pretty regular) then why not go a bit slacker and have 160/170mm on my second bike?

I haven’t had an issue with my G1 on big consecutive days. Over the 4 day easter weekend I did 5 rides, 130km, 4205m elevation in total. I would say that if you already have a hardtail the G1 is the sensible choice but it would be best to demo both just to compare!

I still adore this bike a year after getting it. I’ve swapped out the Formula Selva Rs to C (air to coil) and they’re insanely good, paired with the Storia at the back and this bike is just ridiculously capable. Until I decide to take the plunge and get an ebike (still a few years out I reckon) I am completely happy with this bike.

tall_martin

@ta11pau1

Someone in this thread had a G1 with a different shock and adjustments to make it closer to the G13.

You could always get the G1 with bits for longer and shorter travel.

My G13 was fine for me at Whistler, including a couple of big days outside the bike park so I imagine the G1 would  been even better on the big stuff/ big days out.

singlespeedstu

I have both a G13 and a G1
    Have no problems doing back to back 1300 meters days on either of them.
    I’m just a little slower on the climbs on the G1. Not a massive difference mind.
    Would also love to try the S1 but I’m not even looking at it ATM to avoid temptation.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,001 through 2,040 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.