Viewing 20 posts - 2,001 through 2,020 (of 2,020 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • Premier Icon honourablegeorge

aldo56

I’m looking at a g16 frame just now in size Medium/Longer – does that sound sensible at 180cm

My G16 was a longest, and I’m 185cm. I’d say you’re borderline in that you could ride the Large/Longest happily, but there’s always an element of personal preference. What do you ride currently?

Premier Icon aldo56
    Free Member

Cheers George, that’s sort of what I was thinking. I’m currently on a large, 2016 Helius Ac with a reach of 455mm…

I tend to ride some steep / techy / tree lined /twisty stuff so I don’t want too much of a boat.

Premier Icon honourablegeorge

Reach is obviously going to be longer, how does ETT match up to current bike? For all the talk about length, seated position with a short (35mm) stem is quite normal.

Premier Icon singlespeedstu

I’m looking at a g16 frame just now in size Medium/Longer – does that sound sensible at 180cm

I’m 6′ and have had a G13, G16 and G1 all in Large.
    Mrsstu also has a G16 in Medium which I could ride if I had to but prefer the Large.

Main riding is Tweed Valley so pretty steep and tight.

Premier Icon aldo56
    Free Member

George, These are the numbers on my current bike – size large:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vT5p1B2dbM-sPy-E2m4gfVdUOUyuDTQ9g6YZvgeEx3VBat5gkSDx1LAuVfcoS_5IF7EI7W0mBrjDSkm/pubhtml

Top tube wise, looks like 625mm on the Helius vs 641mm on the longer G16.

I’m running a 50mm stem on the Helius. I guess with a 35mm stem the g16 would feel fairly similar position wise when climbing.

Premier Icon aldo56
    Free Member

Stu – thanks for the feedback – sounds like at 5.11 I could go for either size then. That seems to be exactly what Nicolai suggest with their size guide on the tech sheet. Either top end of medium or bottom end of large.

What stem length / bar setup are you using on your large?

Yeah, that’s what I thought, will be a fairly normal seated position, and longer reach.
    Friend has a medium at you height. There’s an adjustment with riding style either way, I guess, but the smaller may feel more normal for you. 35 stem seems to be the normal.

35 mm stem and 30mm rise bar.

Premier Icon jimmy748

@aldo56 I am 177cm and ride a Medium/Longer G16. 35mm stem and 800mm bars. If your near Bournemouth/Poole your welcome to try it for size.

Premier Icon aldo56
    Free Member

Cheers Jimmy – I’m in Glasgow so maybe not ideal!

It’s sounding like the medium / longer likely do me fine – especially with a 50mm stem on there.

But I could likely also ride the large / longest no problem.

Premier Icon a11y

@aldo56, I reckon you’d be fine on a medium/long. I’m 187cm on a extra-longest G15, in Falkirk – I’d offer you to swing a leg over it but at 5’11 it might be a struggle! I’d probably manage with the next size down. Reminds me I really need to try a 35mm stem instead of the 50mm currently on it.

And if it’s the G16 in Aberdeen, probably worth getting BOTH shocks with it.

Premier Icon a11y

I would say Norco Optic if you can find one..

@spaniardclimber
    , that geometry looks good on paper – but as you say, finding one. The thought of Evans puts me right off too.

aldo.
    If you’re coming over to the valley give us a shout and you can have a sit on a medium G16 and a large G1.

Premier Icon aldo56
    Free Member

Thanks for the help guys – much appreciated!

Ally – That’s the one, why do you say that? (I was going to only go for the 155mm setup…)

Premier Icon a11y

Ally – That’s the one, why do you say that? (I was going to only go for the 155mm setup…)

Only reason being the seller asking what IMO is a small amount for the second shock. Even if you barely used it, it’d be a good spare to have.

Saying that, I’ve got ‘only’ 145mm on my G15 with a X2 shock and it feels bottomless so far, so not sure I’d benefit from more travel on mine.

Premier Icon aldo56
    Free Member

Getting ahead of myself and thinking of my build now…

What’s the verdict on fork travel on a G16? I’ve got a tuned up 160mm Yari/Lyric to hand but I see lots of people running 170mm forks with the 650b wheels. Can you get away with both or would I be better ordering the 170mm air shaft?

Premier Icon sharkattack
    Free Member

My 36’s are 180mm with 27.5 wheels. I’ve never tried anything shorter so I can’t comment on geometry changes. I did switch from a 15 to 40mm rise bar because the front end felt a little low.

180mm 27.5 or 160 29er is kind of the norm for the G16.

Premier Icon spanishfly

I have never put 180mm on mine (yes I am the seller in Aberdeenshire).
    I have used
    170mm on the 175mm 650b, 160mm on the 155 29er and 150mm on the 155 mullet (my favourite setting)

Each fork was a Lyrik, initially RCT2 650b then a ultimate 29er, then a ultimate 29er with a smashpot coil on the mullet.

Hope it helps

Premier Icon aldo56
    Free Member

Some man – cheers Fly.

Viewing 20 posts - 2,001 through 2,020 (of 2,020 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.