Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • honourablegeorge

Chainline – Member
    I use XX1 cassette but Shimano gears/shifiting. All fully compatible in 11spd.

+1, use same on both bikes, shifts brilliantly.

What are the differnces with Mojo and Nicolai? I see their G16 ships with the 170 36 instead of 180 – what else?

christofferbraathen
    Free Member

I’m not sure, but the 170 to 180mm is something you can order from Nicolai as well, as this is done as a fork service at Mojo.

To update a bit on the hubs/cassette/rim front:
    The ONYX rear would be 140 grams heavier than I9 in comparable spec. The rear would be 400g compared to 265 for I9 – both CL and XD. King only noticeably lighter at 367 XD and actually lighter with HG at 341 – negating some of the loss for native XTR cassette if running King.

Front would be the same, as I9 doesn’t offer 20mm without 6-bolt, which adds 50g to the rotors and your up 33g – not enough to care, unless it’s to match the rear. Both would still be a 170g solid total.

Going to the 60Forty rim would drop another 70g from the rear, and we’re down to 70g difference, which I think is acceptable.

I know – I’m tricking myself here, but I just really really want to try a silent drivetrain!!! Nobody else have that feeling?

C

After reading XX1 cassette with XTR RD, I’ll switch to that, and the SRAM chain. No KMC after reading the threads on that type of setup.

christofferbraathen
    Free Member

@Chainline – anything specific on those changes? As I have a down payment for a “custom”, I might be able to ask them to implement whatever you deem valuable.

I would of course have bought it from you as a Geometron had I not discovered this thread too late.

C

Chainline
    Free Member

Christoffer

Mojo changes to 2017 model. Specifically the large

83mm BB (may upset your crank choices!) and wider bearing spacing of the G19 BB. Crank std not boost to give good chainline with boost rear but also more heel clearance.

62.5 HA referenced to 559mm a2c or 170mm fork. Giving inherent 62HA with 180mm fork and eff. 77deg SA.

Size specific CS length; 449mm for Large size.

I’ll grab the other sizes/geo but basically the S and M have 445mm CS with 420mm and 440mm ST, the L and XL have 449mm with 460mm and 480mm ST and the XXL with the ETT beginning with a 7 has a 455mm CS and 500mm ST.

All versions can use either 222 or 216 shock for 155mm or 170mm rear travel, as can the Nicolai. Both travel lengths can be set up to pedal/feel the same when pedaling.

Wookster

Chainline, is there a even longest er in the pipe line or did I imagine that? Saying that a 520 reach is long!

Chainline
    Free Member

Wookster, Nicolai joked about the Longesterer haha. That is the XL

Terminology;
    small=Long 485mm reach
    Medium= Longer 502mm reach
    Large = Longest 520mm reach
    XL = Longesterer 535mm reach
    XXL = Longestwrwr+ 555mm reach

*I made the last name up but the numbers are right…

noncycler
    Free Member

Wow!
    Exactly what sort of RAD lines do you guys ride to need a reach 4″ longer than the bike that just won Rampage under it’s 6ft1″ pilot?

Can you post pics, vids, Strava etc for us to see?

100% serious question BTW.

duir
    Free Member

Have we all stopped riding our X2 equipped Geometrons on the advice of Fox? Mine has been hammered for the 9 months I have had it here in the Lakes and up in Scotland but is showing no signs whatsoever of exploding!

Pretty strange to suddenly realise they can explode and fairly sickening that Fox have issued this statement but failed to supply a solution. Seems like Mojo found out the same way we did, which is pretty poor. It’s a very expensive item for Fox not to be offering an immediate fix or replacement. Hopefully a quick fix will mean we can use them with confidence again.

Wookster

noncycler – Member
    Wow!
    Exactly what sort of RAD lines do you guys ride to need a reach 4″ longer than the bike that just won Rampage under it’s 6ft1″ pilot?

Can you post pics, vids, Strava etc for us to see?

100% serious question BTW.

POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

I rode this today mate…..on a 29er, really made the trails feel alive, but with I was on a boost equipped 27.5+ mainly for vertical compliance…..

Wookster

Chainline cheers fella!

chiefgrooveguru

Thanks for the Rampage spoiler in a totally unrelated thread – I’m only halfway through watching it FFS.

Chainline
    Free Member

Duir, I don’t the no so.if I wasn’t somewhat banged up from a bit of an off in the Pyrenees last week riding with Mr Porter I would certainly be riding my X2 equipped Geometron.
    Totally agree the announcement and method was a bit poor. Mojo found out the same way we did social media and pink bike.
    I’ve never seen a 250 psi max sticker on any of the X2 shocks i’ve seen since they came out !

RickDraper
    Free Member

Float X2 on a new Slash:

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/14042479

duir
    Free Member

Mine says max 300psi so apparently could blow up. Can’t see it happening though, I run 4 spacers and 210psi. It seems to me to be a really reliable, low maintenance shock that just works and is perfect for the Geometron.

Bet this is a bloody nightmare for Mojo with 100 calls a day and no idea what to tell people!

Chainline
    Free Member

noncycler, its not about needing to be more rad as such. It works differently. its about making the bike work as a whole and it being fast, flexible and forgiving. I guess there could be aspects of rampage that it may not suit, although getting down that stuff in control it could help! The G19 has a little less reach than the G16 due to it’s purpose and anticipated steepness of tracks.

thepodge
    Free Member

I know its custom geo but looks like the Robot bike people are pushing in a similar direction to the Geometron http://www.pinkbike.com/news/robot-bike-co-r160-custom-review-2016.html

chiefgrooveguru

That is so awesome.

kimbers

That robot bike is the beanz !

honourablegeorge

Well – that’s Paul Aston, who reviewed the Geometron for PinkBike, and he’s had that Robot frame built to more or less the same geometry.

It’s incredibly expensive though, and even with carbon 24 spoke wheels (no thanks) and a Pike, it’s still 30 lbs – I’m not sure there’s much of weight benefit to the deign, whatever you save in weight with the carbon you lose with the titanium.

thepodge
    Free Member

Yeah, I posted before reading the whole article and he does mention that he’s based it on the Geometron but also says the bike will have to go back so hopefully others will review the bike and comment on its geometry.

Low weight is over rated and having experience of printed Titanium I can believe a healthy chunk of that cost is on the brand not the materials.

Chainline
    Free Member

Paul is tall and wanted the 29er GeoMetron so I am surprised he has built such a small bike (smaller than mine anyway) , although there wasn’t the XL and XXL when he commissioned it and so he wouldn’t know if even bigger was better.

Also surprised he’s gone that steep on the 27.5, it feels much better below 63deg, between 61 and 62deg is the sweet spot for the trail bike with tuning for personal preference using offset I think. The 2016 GeoMetron is only 63.5 with the reference 170mm fork a2c.

If there is one thing I’ve learned over the last 18months its that it is not just the geo that makes the difference, you just cant take out the suspension and how it’s balanced/tuned in my experience over the last year and whilst anti squat plays a part I mean more how the setup works dynamically together.

I had a torrid time in the Pyrenees the other week for the first day and a half while I got my bike set up for the terrain as it was so different to that I ride in the UK, but once it was, it was an astonishing difference to ride. Of course it helps that I was riding with CP but much to do with what I have learned over the last 18months about setup.

thepodge
    Free Member

I love that in this thread 63.5 is considered steep for a head angle. I really need to get the offset bushings in my bike which should bring it down to about 65 / 65.5 on a 29er and see how that rides.

Also got a Sussmybike on order so hopefully will be able to get some better suspension setup, albeit a long way from a custom job from Mojo but I’m not in the league or really needing that.

Euro
    Free Member

I had a torrid time in the Pyrenees the other week for the first day and a half while I got my bike set up for the terrain as it was so different to that I ride in the UK, but once it was, it was an astonishing difference to ride. Of course it helps that I was riding with CP but much to do with what I have learned over the last 18months about setup.

So you had Mr Porter with you and have been ‘into’ suspension setup for the past 18 months and it still took you 1.5 days to get the bike to set up properly? Doesn’t sound ideal. There’s a lot to be said for K.I.S.S 😆

Rubber_Buccaneer

thepodge – Member
    Also got a Sussmybike on order

Please share your thoughts on this once you have got your hands on it.

Northwind

thepodge – Member

Low weight is over rated and having experience of printed Titanium I can believe a healthy chunk of that cost is on the brand not the materials.

TBH it’s not so much materials as opportunity cost- unless Renishaws think it’s worthwhile for PR like they did with Charge and Empire, they’ll be expecting the same rates as they get for making bits of planes and spaceships.

thepodge
    Free Member

Partly perhaps but a friend of mine had some titanium lugs made and I was positively surprised at the cost

Chainline
    Free Member

Euro,

It was a lot to do with circumstances and a painful experience with CB Mallet (wrong terrain and time to try them out coming from Shimano!) There was no time to make the changes during the day so had to do it post days riding and then tweaks on day 2. Chris and I also disagreed slightly on the issue 😉

CP was mainly focussed on smashing the trails and the terrain, he was loving the 27.5/29er setup it it’s fair to say….

G13 29ers due in soon…Tim at Mojo is putting the miles in on the first bike and getting the DPS tuned in.

singlespeedstu

Chainline.
    Just emailed you.

Chainline
    Free Member

Got it Stu, on it.

singlespeedstu

I must say I’m really looking forwards to trying one of these out.
    I’ve even sold some niche singlespeed tat to make room in the garage in case I like it enough to buy one.

Gotama
    Free Member

Thread resurrection….

X-Longest Nicolai G13 with 36s up front rather than 34s and the piggyback shock. Thoughts from the demo are carried through into this bike which is a bit of a relief given the changes between the mojo test bike and this production variant. It climbs incredibly well, the steep seat tube and long stays make controlling the slack front end a non-event. Downhill it’s brilliant. At a smidge over 6ft 3 it’s the first full sus bike that truly feels like it fits. There’s a much bigger sweet spot where I can move my weight around without feeling like I’m hanging way over the back or about to be pitched over the front. I also feel a lot happier when the back is sliding around on corners, it’s actually fun to drift rather than being panic stations. That all said where it really surprised me is how composed it was when it gets rough. I’m not sure if that’s the suspension, the geometry or a combination of both; although I suspect it is mainly the geometry given I set the suspension up very quickly as I didn’t have time to meet up with the man from mojo before riding. Particularly noticeable going into one section which is quite narrow, steep ish and littered with deep braking ruts. It was easily the fastest I’d ever ridden through the section and the bike felt completely composed compared to a mate on his 160mm Commencal who commented that he felt as if he was on the limit. Anyhoo, I’m happy as I suppose anybody would be having just shelled a load of money on a bike and ridden it for the first time! Always wanted a Nicolai. Gratuitous pics below, excuse the front brake hose and state of the grass, I was desperate to get out for a ride.

stompweaver

That looks amazing Gotama, no wonder you are pleased! 8)

Could I ask which size it is as doesn’t actually look that big! Is it an XL or a XXL?

Also what are the changes between the mojo test bike and the production one? Sorry if it’s been mentioned in the thread before, I’ve been following it from the start but some of it has faded from my aging memory now. 😳

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

That is fantastic and Imlove the wheels too. Mega jealous

Chainline
    Free Member

Sooo happy you’re happy Gotama. It does indeed just look right. I need to pick mine up and put it together. First job will be an angleset 😉

Are you running 150mm up front Gotama?

I think Stu swung a leg over mine last week at Mojo too.

Gotama
    Free Member

Stompweaver – It’s the XL or X-Longest in mojo terminology. It definitely looks in proportion with the 29er wheels. The Mojo test 29er was a 150mm bike and the sizing differed in that it was a Longest with the reach around 520 (I think) and a slightly slacker head angle which put the wheelbase roughly the same as this one. My X-Longest has a reach of 530mm and a 64 degree head angle. So whilst a size smaller in labelling the test bike was only marginally smaller in numbers (I think!). It was the travel difference and BB height which were the biggest changes. If that doesn’t make sense say and i’ll try again!

Chainline – No, after a chat with Toby I stuck with the 140mm setting but with a 10mm bigger negative air spring. I’m due to catch up with him soon to get the final settings for the shock and fork as he’s promised to work some of his magic. Thanks again for your help with this; much appreicated.

thepodge
    Free Member

Very nice, you say the Mojo test bike was 150mm but not how much travel this is, I assume you are referring to the rear?

Chainline
    Free Member

Should be 133mm rear thepodge.

stompweaver

Thanks for the reply Gotama, it makes perfect sense. I have been thinking about a Geometron/Nicolai for a while. I’ve had an Enduro 29er for the last couple of years and a Stumpjumper 29er before that and I can’t see me ever going back to smaller wheels. I love the Enduro but it’s always felt on the small side (465mm reach) as I am 6′ 2″ and have short legs and long torso for my height. I’ve got the 650b shock yoke on it which slackens it off and drops the BB a bit but it could do with being slacker still. Compared to my DH bike it feels very nervous and skittish.

I think I’d go for the Geometron over the Nicolai for the extra travel at the back. You can never have too much skill compensation… 😉 Is there a particular reason that you chose the G13 over the Geometron?

Interesting stuff, enjoy your new bike 😀

stompweaver

Chainline I thought the Geometron 29er was 150mm rear travel?

thepodge
    Free Member

Ignore me.

Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.