Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • Gotama
    Free Member

I had a test ride on the Longest 29er today. To avoid the waffle below I think it’s brilliant and I’m pretty certain I’ll be putting an order in for a G13.

So after a previous hiccup I met up with one of the guys from mojo who happens to be a Surrey hills local. After 45 minutes chatting and setting the bike up, including a slightly embarrassing car park test, we set off. I’m just over 6ft 3 and 100kg for reference. Boring but very relevant bit first….on the first uphill there was an odd feeling whilst riding along, odd but good. It didn’t feel like you were fighting against the hill, but more that my weight was perfectly placed for going uphill. No less effort was required but it just felt like a more natural/comfortable place to be on the bike rather than feeling like I’m falling off the back as is usually the case. On steep, more technical climbs the front remained incredibly composed and I was able to stay seated in areas where on my current bike (XL banshee prime) I’d have to be putting a lot more effort into keeping the front in check. It really is an excellent climber.

On the downhill the bike really is superb. Worries about length are completely unfounded and I’m fairly certain I’ll be heading towards the XL size. I’m used to a 490mm reach hardtail so that perhaps helped me adjust but it felt natural from the get go and certain tighter corners, bizarrely, actually felt easier. Corners in general felt really composed and in a straight line over rougher ground it was amazing. I can’t really comment on jumping as its not my strength but aside from a timing adjustment I feel the stability of the bike in general plus a similar stable feeling from what little air I got will help progress my jumping.

For me the bike helped make up for my inadequacies. It gave me a much bigger sweet spot where I felt comfortable on the bike and as such I felt more relaxed more of the time. I don’t think I’ve ever felt as confident on a bike where I’m riding at my limit and that, in turn, meant I enjoyed riding more.

When I first saw the geometry I looked at it as a bike that would be amazing for top level riders (that pic of Paul Aston on pinkbike flying miles in the air at cwmcarn comes to mind) who could get the most out of it but the reality is different, it works really really well for your more average joe rider like myself.

Thanks to Chainline for putting the initial test ride plans in place and Toby from Mojo who spent the time setting up the bike, answering daft questions and following me round.

honourablegeorge

Nice one… that really mirrors my experience on the 27.5 bike, esp the bits about climbing/lack of front wheel lift, and the length just not being an issue coming downhill.

Chainline
    Free Member

Well Gotama, I’m chuffed you enjoyed it. Toby thought you were pretty damn handy on a bike too 😉

I also think the bike does benefit those of lesser ability like myself.

Honourablegeorge, I didn’t say I didn’t want it, just don’t need it. I releasing one of my other rather less suspended bikes to someone who will use it more than I and it deserves that so I will redirect the funds in the name of further testing, have one or two idea’s for twaeks to the G13 from past and present experience..

Managed to get a nice pair of DH hoops for the GeoMetron 27.5 that come in at the 1600g mark along with a new chainguide at 44g and hopefully a bar to drag the weight down to a hair over 31.5lbs whichI think is about the limit to maintain the robustness and none too shabby for a really large alloy 180mm/200mm bike capable of DH use. There’s a bit in the crank too but Ilke the Hope, it’s bombproof.

I’ll be looking to go fairly light on the G13 but realistically that’s 29-30lbs even being careful depending on using a 34 or 36 if I still use an X2. We shall see in mid October…

honourablegeorge

🙂

Nice job on the wheels, what are they?

You might be right on the bombproof cranks…. mine didn’t really work out

Chainline
    Free Member

Honourable george, your crank? Mine are the Hopes and they have been faultless. A faff to fit the first time, but once on, seem to just do the job and can take some rock abuse.

Wheels are a blend of Hope hubs, Sapim CX rays and 32h carbon rims.

christofferbraathen
    Free Member

@Chainline – thank you so much for helping everyone with questions and demos, truly a great representative and the thread has been extremely useful. I still have some questions though:

1. Have you ever been experimenting with 27.5+ tires – and/or mixing with a 29 up front? I know Seb Stott at Bikeradar have been thinking about it on his POLE EVOLINK.

2. Do you have any experience comparing it to the POLEs?

3. Since the shocks are coming from MOJO, is it possible to have it tuned the way you did yours – 170mm rear, but riding like a 155 until it really ramp up?

Many thanks in advance,
    Christoffer Braathen
    Oslo, Norway

boltonjon

Been lusting after one of these since seeing one and riding it a little at the Ard Rock

Awesome machine but house buying means i can’t have one till the house is bought 🙁

Chainline
    Free Member

@christofferbraathen I haven’t been experimenting with 27.5+ tyres on the Nicolai. I have tried all sorts of tyres on my other bike(s) including 27.5+, 29+, Fat etc. I am not a fan of 27.5+ so far, I much prefer a big volume std tyre up to say 2.5 and with a narrower tyre on the rear, having experimented also with a lot of rim widths I presonally prefer something under 30mm internal now.

I’ve been trying lots of tyres and wheels on this bike too.

I haven’t compared it to a Pole which without a good platform or tuned shock will not pedal anything like the Geometron if you look at the linkage profiles, it does suffer less kickback but I can’t say this is large on the GeoMetron and I feel a good balance, partly due to the need to use less rear brake as a result of the geometry. The Pole looks more like it should feel more like a Helius/ 4 bar to me in terms of curves.

Chris is testing a 29er front at the moment and likes it a lot with a narrow wheel and tyre for speed and roll over. I will try it but I’m very happy with the 27.5 front right now. He is trying it in the EWS at Valberg and am sure we will discuss performance afterwards..

If you were to get a 2017 version with so you can use the trail key to choose shock size and specify the 200 x 70 shock, absolutely Mojo can set the shock up to feel like the 155mm in terms of progressiveness, you just need to let whoever you are ordering it from know that or call Mojo direct. It doesnt need any fundamental changes to internals, just spacers and damping set to suit your weight and pedalling style.

jmatlock
    Free Member

Chainline, I have never doubted Chris once in his theories, or yours. I have enjoyed discussing at length the bike with you. A few times in the past I have read others doubting Chris’ ability as a racer. I have never seen any footage of him riding a bike, so I have no idea. Is he handy? Good rider/racer? Any edits of him out there? I would love to see him ride the bike he had so much input in, assuming he can get it close to its limits.

thepodge
    Free Member

I don’t think you need to be fast on a bike to know how to make others fast.

jmatlock
    Free Member

I agree. But he does race, and ride hard by all accounts. Would love to see him out his own Geometron through its paces.

honourablegeorge

Bet he’s quietly smiling to himself having seen three forward geo bikes on the WC DH posium

jmatlock
    Free Member

It made me smile. To me the Mondraker 10mm stem was the genesis of all this. I have read every word CP and Chainline have written about these bikes. It’s fascinating.

I would love to see what Danny / Laurie could do with the Geometron DH bike underneath them.

Chainline
    Free Member

I too would like to see what they would do with similar geometry. The Summum isn’t far away to be fair, mainly reach differences, HA and CS length are very close, and Chris and Cesar Rojo are buddies.

I think Monsieur Payet could do with an XL…

Chris is handy, certainly faster than me, but as podge said, you don’t need to be fast to know how to make a bike work well (does help a bit though I think) I guess we will see some results in his category from this weekends EWS in Valberg where he’s racing with Tim.

We are off to ride the Pyrenees in Oct with Doug at Basque MTB with a ‘barge’ of GeoMetrons, hopefully we can put to bed the question of getting round hairpins… (I went last year so I know but you know…)

jmatlock
    Free Member

Fitting them on the Uplift truck must be the biggest struggle!

christofferbraathen
    Free Member

@Chainline

Thanks for an informative answer – I have had a similar feeling, that 2.5 – 2.6 might actually be the sweet spot, and maybe like you said, somewhat narrower in the back. I only have my Pivot Mach 6 with ELEVEN6 and 2.35 right now, so no experience on wider yet.

Simon at Nicolai is probably gonna answer my email soon, the order is already placed, and I’ll let him know about the tuning of the 220 stroke X2.

The Pole has decent looks, no idea about the effectiveness of EVOLINK. Not so convinced about the execution and quality of manufacturing compared – the more I look at the ION G16 the more I tingle after start building something metal again.

Had originally thought about buying either the Switchblade to go more trail, or the Firebird to go more sled. That’s when I saw the ION and started reading. Your input is absolutely crucial in this phase of the marketing/sales launch due to all the sceptics – and no one can blame them. Keep it up, and I think this will really get some traction – if it proves to deliver on all the praisals from the few who has experienced it.

THANKS!!!
    Christoffer, Oslo – Out:-)

christofferbraathen
    Free Member

Short off-topic to anyone wondering about FOX, RS Pike, BOS Deville or Ohlins RXF – I now ride a RS Pike with Avalanche open bath internals, and it is absolutely STUNNING!!! Bottomless, linear butter is the description that comes to mind, and my BOS is now sitting still in the garage, it’s that good. But have been wanting to try the new Ohlins RXF 36 on the ION-G16. Hopefully I’ll get it ready before the snow comes. Peace.

Chainline
    Free Member

Christofferbraathen, pay careful attention to setting up the front and rear for balance, it’s important they sit similarly and react similarly for balance.

christofferbraathen
    Free Member

Thinking about the 29/27.5+ Ohlins RXF 36 as an alternative to the MOJO tuned FOX that Nicolai recommends?

Agree, and I have asked in my emails to Simon, but still no answer. Not gonna go down that route unless it’s something you/MOJO/Nicolai can stand buy – I have sent him the numbers. The Technical drawing attached below. 51mm offset and probably around 7mm added axle-to-crown height. Thoughts?

Ohlins RXF 36 29&27.5 160mm Fork – Dimensional Drawing

Chainline
    Free Member

The frame will be fine and you will be able to set up the ride as the bike is very flexible in that regard. I’m using 40’s after all and have used them at 200mm. Chris is experimenting with the 29 front wheel at the moment with the Fox e-bike specific 36 which is stiffer.

So in terms of the Fork being ok, yes. Check the BB height is where you want it. Perhaps get some offset bushes included from Mojo to fine tune with the trail key. I’d be looking at a 338-345mm BB depending on what you like/use it for/crank lengths etc.

My main point was if you do fit that fork try and make sure that the fork is set up similarly to the shock at least in terms of the support at the sag point.

christofferbraathen
    Free Member

@Chainline

I completely understand -they need to have the same sag/ride height and blast through threshold. Comprende! The BB height will be checked, and as per usual, I might end up with both the MOJO FOX and the Ohlins RXF – we’ll see.

Quick question – I love my PIKE Avalanche Racing Open Bath to death – even better than the BOS Deville if you ask me. How does the MOJO FOX tuned forks compare technically – I know you dont rebuild to open bath.

Thanks a million for all the help – can’t wait to get the frame.
    Christoffer

Chainline
    Free Member

I have tried an Avalanche with Pike, It was very similar to my BOS Devile, subtle differences. I prefer my Mojo’d 36 to the Deville, mainly in that the support under braking is even better, the small bump compliance is better with the big negative spring and the friction very low running more oil in both legs. The Deville as still a great fork.
    But more than anything the fact the Mojo’d 180 36 matches the x2 in the Geometron in terms of support and response so the whole bike is very balanced.

I dd not get to back to back both the Avalanche and Fox though so can’t comment between the two.

christofferbraathen
    Free Member

@Chainline

Super interesting observation, as that is the only negative I have on the PIKE/AVA combination. And on my Pivot Mach 6, it results in unwanted brake dive and “over the bar” feeling, if the speed is not high enough. My order is now changed at NICOLAI, and as you see below, I added the FOX and have specified, according to you suggestion:

Fox Racing Shox 36 Float 27,5″ 180 HSC/LSC FIT Factory Federgabel
    Note to Mojo: CHRISTOFFER BRAATHEN – Setup for 75 KG and to ride like 170/155mm version.

Fox Racing Shox Dämpfer Float X2 Comp-Lever, F-S,222x70mm
    Note to Mojo: CHRISTOFFER BRAATHEN – Setup for 75 KG and to ride like 170/155mm version.

Chainline
    Free Member

Can’t wait to hear how you get on Chrisofferbraathen! I’m certain you won’t be dissapointed. 😀

honourablegeorge
    Chainline
    Free Member

Tweaked now with new wheels, bars, chain guide, rear tyre and tweaked BB height and suspension settings, parts mainly to get the weight down to 31.5lbs, though not the tyre which is just to try out the Aggressor on the rear.

Running 15% sag front 20% rear, -2 angleset on the front with the 40 to give the same trail as a std 27.5 36 and -1 headset if a little more flop factor so slightly quicker steering initiation.

Top of Spooky Woods at Glentress

[/url]IMG_0390 by Phil, on Flickr[/img]

Northwind

Were you trying to sneak into secrets and lies? All the trees fell down 🙁

Wookster

Chain line how are you finding the tripe crowns? Are they still alright on a pootle say a red at a trail centre or are we taking DH runs only??

My goodness I love the look of that!

Chainline
    Free Member

All good Wookster. Lovely in every way apart from a bit heavier. I am running them at 180 as Chris provided a pressure ratio/token guide to allow it to be tuned for both weight and curve so they feel a lot like the modified 180 36 in many ways only even more, the damping quality is unlike anything I have experienced before. Stiffness is noticeable but I think not necessary for me (I’m just not good enough or fast enough but I can tell the difference)

So as a direct answer the whole bike is as ‘trailable’ and as much fun on everything as the std shorter travel rear / 36 forked bike. Obviously it becomes more expensive with the 40 and you have to chuck more money at it to get to the same weight/durability position. So it’s an indulgence, but it feels pretty special.

I have just had to fold it in half to fit it in my EVOC bag mind and its not even the XL!

Gotama
    Free Member

EVOC bag mind and its not even the XL

This is a slight concern with my incoming XL 29er….

How is the clearance on the front mudguard with big tyres? By big I mean 2.5 minion or 2.35 magic mary big.

aldo56
    Free Member

Great looking bike Chainline but I think I’d feel a bit tad overbiked taking that round the red at GT!

Shandy
    Free Member

This is a slight concern with my incoming XL 29er….

How is the clearance on the front mudguard with big tyres? By big I mean 2.5 minion or 2.35 magic mary big.

It’ll fit the EVOC, you’ll just need to unbolt one end of the shock to fold it in.

There is plenty of clearance on the mudguards for a 2.5 Minion.

Gotama
    Free Member

It’ll fit the EVOC, you’ll just need to unbolt one end of the shock to fold it in.

As it happens post typing my post and looking at Chainline’s bike I realised that would be an option. Good to know though.

There is plenty of clearance on the mudguards for a 2.5 Minion.

Great, will add one to the ever expanding bill!

honourablegeorge

Shandy – Member

Is that with fork on or off?

(Longest 27.5 here)

chakaping
    Free Member

Great looking bike Chainline but I think I’d feel a bit tad overbiked taking that round the red at GT!

Nah, it’s fine if you wear these…

Shandy
    Free Member

Is that with fork on or off?

Fork on, its not even a tight fit on the Longest once you unbolt the shock.

honourablegeorge

Cool, thanks.

Chainline
    Free Member

Gotama, It is in my EVOC, but I had to remove the shock not just un-bolt it. Remember I have -2 headset too which adds the thick end of 30mm wheelbase. Not an issue with doing that though, it’s a 2 minute job.

The 29er XL is no longer Gotama, in fact its shorter overall than this one as I also have longer chainstays, so assuming a std head angle you should be 15mm or so shorter than this one…

Chainline
    Free Member

Gotama, It is in my EVOC, but I had to remove the shock not just un-bolt it. Remember I have -2 headset too which adds the thick end of 30mm wheelbase. Not an issue with doing that though, it’s a 2 minute job.

The 29er XL is no longe than mine Gotama, in fact I’d say its shorter overall as I also have longer chain stays, so assuming a std head angle you should be 15mm, maybe more shorter than this one, wheels off of course.
    In terms of the tyre, I agree with Shandy, I run a MM 2.35 in there and the mudguard is fine on either 36 or 40, can’t speak for the 29 just yet…a couple of weeks…

In terms of over biked, nah, what does it even mean really…I used a tad over half the travel on GT red but if you have the ability to go faster you hit stuff harder, but mostly suspension is about traction and cornering grip as much as shock absorption remember. If its set up right I can’t see why you’d want less if you deliver the package in the same or a similar weight (IF the weight is an issue) as long as it pedals right.

I ended up giving two short impromptu demo rides over the course of the day. One because a guy said why have you brought a DH bike, must be a brick…so I let him ride it, it was a shock to find it pedalled better than his 5 and was lighter..

The second to a Bronson C XL rider, who’s first comment was that he’d need a bigger frame, which made me laugh as I felt his bike was small dynamically (similar overall length cockpit with what felt like a huge stem) which it was physically in comparison once out of the saddle. I think it was the impression as the Bronson felt so tall and short to me. He then got back on his own bike and said it felt really weird, not the first time I’ve heard that.

thepodge
    Free Member

In terms of over biked, nah, what does it even mean really…I used a tad over half the travel on GT red but if you have the ability to go faster you hit stuff harder, but mostly suspension is about traction and cornering grip as much as shock absorption remember. If its set up right I can’t see why you’d want less if you deliver the package in the same or a similar weight (IF the weight is an issue) as long as it pedals right.

Been thinking about this and would not a shorter travel bike give you a bigger bb drop and hence all the benefits that come with it?

Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.