Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

So why are most DH bikes considerably shorter than your findings?

…for now.

jmatlock
    Free Member

For me the appeal of the Geometron is how involved Chris has been.

He may not be the best racer on the world, but no one can deny he knows his onions about setup.

Chainline
    Free Member

Back on Geometron…a lot of testing has gone into the belt off road. Icthink they are very confident in it.

Regarding a Demo day/weekend one way or another at Inners or Glentress. Chris is up for that. Maybe February and maybe combine it with a Fox do.

More info as plans form. Can anyone interested ping me a mail. FOD was off spec but it would be nice to know if there are definitely interested parties with such a big trip.

Chainline
    Free Member

And for the record, you don’t have to pay £200 to Mojo. And if you do take that option, it’s refundable against a frameset package or a bike.
    …next year there may well be a bike that long on the DH WC circuit …..

sharkattack

All DH bikes are too small in my opinion especially for some of the big blokes who have to ride them. The most popular bikes are made by the biggest manufacturers and as much as they want you to believe that they’re breaking the mould every year they’re really shit scared of alienating anyone. So they’ll continue to evolve a few mm at a time.

I love DH more than anything but the big companies have nothing that I want. I’m so bored of them. Not that they’ll notice or care.

thepodge
    Free Member

Have you seen the Pole bike on the front page?

Chainline
    Free Member

Pole guys emailed Chris earlier this year….the web site has changed since I first looked at it and they are fully bought in, I think thats good news..

Sharkattack…might be some surprising bikes in the DH WC next year..or maybe not so surprising depending on your point of view.

sharkattack

Sharkattack…might be some surprising bikes in the DH WC next year..or maybe not so surprising depending on your point of view.

Anything you can share? I do love WC DH more than anything

Chainline
    Free Member

Sharkattack, not at the moment. but I suspect early in the new year…

jmatlock
    Free Member

Ages ago, there was a Team Rumours post about Gwinn going to a German team. Everyone assumed YT.

I said the day I saw it, he is going to Nicolai!

Imagine if it happened!

Chainline
    Free Member

I don’t thinks that’s gonna happen James! Benoit Coulanges is riding an effi gear Nicolai.
    Maybe worth keeping one eye on what One Vision Global Racing get up to in 2016

sharkattack

Jack Reading and co. on raked out Ion 20’s and Geometron’s by any chance?

plecostomus
    Free Member

Good guess! Pretty close!

riklegge

Chainline- I picked my bike up from Mojo on Wednesday, then had an uplift day at BPW on Thursday; fantastic! Thanks again for your help and input.

Chainline
    Free Member

Riklegge awesome. Makes me very happy. I just love it when people find a bike that excites them and inspires them to ride and push themselves.

I’m looking forward to the next year, in fact I’m looking forward to just riding. Haven’t been this excited to just ride, not worried about upgrades or changes or tweaks, just ride in a long time!

neilforrow

Some interesting stuff from Chris here:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/porter-talks-geometron-29-prototype-2015.html

Still dosn’t like 29er’s!

chakaping
    Free Member

OK so I’m not a bike designer, but isn’t it a bit odd that they used the same geometry for the 29er when most manufacturers steepen the front up a bit to achieve a similar feel to smaller wheeled bikes?

I own and enjoy both wheel sizes so I don’t really have an axe to grind, but Chris Porter seems very good at justifying his prejudices with (possibly exaggerated) technical claims.

STATO
    Free Member

OK so I’m not a bike designer, but isn’t it a bit odd that they used the same geometry for the 29er when most manufacturers steepen the front up a bit to achieve a similar feel to smaller wheeled bikes?

Seems kind of pointless changing given most aggressive 2016 29ers are 4-5 degrees slacker than they were 2-3 years ago.

thepodge
    Free Member

My understanding, which could well be wrong, is in this case the same head angle but different fork offset results in the same trail. Trail is more important that HA as its a combination and is what give the bike its “feel”.

Basically everyone else has been over compensating and making 29ers worse than they should be.

Northwind

chakaping – Member

TBH 29ers have been saddled with “make it more like a 26er” and “make it short” for years, it’s only recently many manufacturers have dared to stop limiting themselves. IMO o’course.

I think it’s true that they tend to ride “slacker” because of the differences in stability, trail etc but the number of long travel, 68 degree bikes still available is plain silly. I measured mine at 65.5 which is a bit more like it but I’d go slacker. (it feels a lot like my old 64 degree 26er but there’s a lot more to it than head angles o’course) 29ers have been going slacker but so have little bikes so they’re not really catching up, but at least they’re getting over “make it small and steep”

chakaping
    Free Member

My understanding, which could well be wrong, is in this case the same head angle but different fork offset results in the same trail. Trail is more important that HA as its a combination and is what give the bike its “feel”.

This is interesting, I was under the impression from that BR feature that CP favoured a shorter offset for 29ers (contrary to accepted wisdom) – but combined with the longer frame obviously.

I’m on a genuinely long 29er with 68 degree HA and 46mm offset. Feels pretty damn good and not much like CP’s criticisms of his own 29er.

thepodge
    Free Member

chakaping – This is interesting, I was under the impression from that BR feature that CP favoured a shorter offset for 29ers (contrary to accepted wisdom) – but combined with the longer frame obviously.

I’m on a genuinely long 29er with 68 degree HA and 46mm offset. Feels pretty damn good and not much like CP’s criticisms of his own 29er.

Yeah this confused me for a while and I’m still not sure I’ve got my head round it fully but (again, if I’ve got this right) reducing the offset makes sense on an existing frame because it increases trail but if you’re starting from scratch, same HA (as 650) and bigger offset makes sense too.

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks Podge but I’m just more confused now.

I’m sure the Geometron is a bike you have to ride to “get”, but other bike companies make amazing modern 29ers with geometry different to 650b – so if CP thinks his is shit, could that be a clue?

29ers have been saddled with “make it more like a 26er”

Yes and no. I think people just want bikes to be fast and fun. It’s definitely achievable with 29in ‘cos mine feels like a cross between a Tie Fighter and a steamroller.

STATO
    Free Member

I’m sure the Geometron is a bike you have to ride to “get”, but other bike companies make amazing modern 29ers with geometry different to 650b – so if CP thinks his is shit, could that be a clue?

No. All the things he hates about 29ers apply to all 29ers. BB too low compared to axle, wheels have too much inertia (is that the right word?) to quickly flip from leaning one way to the other, i.e. left hand berm into right hand.

honourablegeorge

chakaping – Member
    Thanks Podge but I’m just more confused now.

CP does say he adapted the geometry for 29ers. To what extent I don’t know, but sounds like he did make some changes.

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

Now, if they (Nicolai) could make it in Pinion version, just to prove that the 27.5er is better 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

I think that’s the point though, they made 29ers steep to make them feel like smaller wheels then they also made larger offset forks to make them feel like smaller wheels. These two cancelled each other out to some extent which is sort of what the BR article is getting at in the first bit.

Reading what hasn’t been said in between what has been said in a few different reviews I think the only geo change between the two is a longer rear end to get a bigger wheel in and put your weight central but someone else will probably be able to confirm.

I look at these as devolved crossers where as the modern production bikes are evolved road bikes.

neilforrow
    Chainline
    Free Member

Ok two things.
    On the 29er. Trail is key. People asking all wanted the same super long/slack in 29er version. So that’s what Chris built but yes, with the same trail which is what dictates how the bike feels in steering terms, I.e stability at the bars. The wheels still make a huge difference when leaned over and changing direction. It’s physics. They are harder to change direction, period, even if they weighed the same the forces generated are greater.

So Chris made it to let those people try the same geo, no compromises. Chris uses a longer CS rear as per the 29er on his Geometron. one vision will too, With some longer options too, but it was only changed to allow the same travel on both bikes for a genuine comparison. the fork travel is also the same, but the 29 doesn’t have the 180 and neg. Spring mods to keep the front at a sensible height.

It rides, from what Chris tells me, as I expected given I had a 65deg, long travel (160mm) custom Ion15 2 years ago. It’s great in some places, less good in others (in comparison) rewards a strong aggressive rider, is harder to change direction on at speed and smashed through stuff rather than allowing a more dynamic riding style.

All of those attributes suit some riders, not others, hence why some have already bought it.

And yes, now it’s official, that is where the Geometron will turn up on track. Bigger forks obviously (same as Chris uses) longer travel rear ( but the same as can be specified by any customer).

Some of the race tweaks/feedback may well find their way to production bikes in the future and are likely to be retro-fit table in some cases I expect. That’s the case with current Nicolai’s e.g you can buy a new rear end to change travel/leverage ration’s/CS length etc as long as the front triangle can take it.

Exciting times. Nicolai has a history of supporting young developing riders too which is nice.

Chris/Mojo has Geometrons in stock again too.

Can’t remember if I said but the 29 is custom order only and in Longest or even longerer sizes so tweaks can be made, it will be slightly more expensive on that basis to allow for the custom welding jig and design. Call Mojo for details and any test on the 29. Testing is on the same basis as already listed and it will find it’s way to the demo days next year. Possibly starting in Scotland (tbc)

ninfan
    Free Member

Given the length of the stays reduces the classic long travel 29 design problem of seat tube interface, and thinking back to Nicolais history of tunable travel and settings. I wonder how achievable a variable geometry frame for 650/29 wheels might be? It might sit in completley different handling and stability carachteristics between the two wheel sizes

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

And yes, now it’s official, that is where the Geometron will turn up on track. Bigger forks obviously (same as Chris uses) longer travel rear ( but the same as can be specified by any customer).

Do tell please 🙂

Chainline
    Free Member

@tooFATtooRIDE if you want longer travel rear now you can request that from Chris, He will build a different length/stroke shock and to allow that, up to 175mm at the rear on the current bike.

The DH bike will be a little different I think in that the inherent travel will be longer as you’d expect.

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

Exciting times 🙂

sharkattack

I honestly can’t wait to see what the DH bike looks like after a year of real world testing and development. They’re not using the Effigear as I understand which is a shame as it’s much more interesting in my mind.

In the meantime I think a trail bike would be more useful for personal use. I have about 85 quid saved up to put towards a Geometron.

thepodge
    Free Member

My french is rubbish but I’m fairly sure effigear already run their own Nicolai bikes and dh race team.

Chainline
    Free Member

Benoit Coulanges runs and Effigear Ion 20.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

@HobNob, not sure I’d agree that 33lbs all up with pedals is a big fat tank. A guide friend of mine did an experiment the other year because various guests were all turning up with talk of their “28lb’ AM/Trail bikes as per manufacturers weights or just what they thought.

Maybe (well, I know I am) cynical of people’s claimed weights, but I can’t see how it’s going to be 33lbs build.

I see elsewhere the frame, drivetrain & shock is 8kg. Before I built my bike, I weighed the frame. With the power of Google I can total up the weight of an XX1 drivetrain, which together comes to 4.25kg, or an 8.25lbs difference.

The rest of my bike is built up pretty light, and comes in at ~28.5lbs, which is pretty realistic, given its spec. Somewhere ~4lbs is disappearing,

Either that, or I’m actually riding a carbon Reign. With carbon everywhere that weighs 24lbs, because my scales are wrong…

Chainline
    Free Member

@hobnob It will be 15.5 kg with the pedals I’m very confident of the scales, mostly because all the parts have been weighed on +\-1g calibrated scales as it was built and then the total bike on different scales to X-ref.

Not sure why 4lbs is disappearing? The whole drivetrain is around 1.2kg heavier than a comparable XX1 build, I think (hard to measure since I can’t validate the gearbox independently.

The frames are a touch heavier than standard due to length at 3.5kg for the M. Without shock.
    I’ll post up a spec when it’s done this week.

Chainline
    Free Member

Bike built.

Put together with 2.35 DD S/S T/L 2015 Nobby Nics to see how they work (735g each + 50g sealant in each tyre).
    Have a pair of Spesh Storms ready if it gets really sloppy. Backup is my default tyre choice of Minion DHR II rear/ Magic Mary trail star front.

I like the idea of a Minion SS rear with either a Minion or MM front.

May well swop out the Float X for my X2 for demo’s if requested. It does need some LSC (unlike my std bike) to make the pedalling feel as good as the std bike as there is less anti squat, also a touch more rebound as the rear wheel feels so light and the back super responsive.

Comes in at a hair under 15.4kg/33.8lb

[/url]Nicolai Ion GPI by Phil, on Flickr[/img]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CbPLTW]Nicolai Ion GPI[/url] by Phil, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CvE6ng]Nicolai Ion GPI[/url] by Phil, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CADrus]Nicolai Ion GPI[/url] by Phil, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CADqWd]Nicolai Ion GPI[/url] by Phil, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/C5rUoe]Nicolai Ion GPI[/url] by Phil, on Flickr

Wookster

😯

Oh wow!!!

😀

Sorry a technical appraisal there…. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.