Home Forums Chat Forum Anyone know what this ‘adhesive’ is?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone know what this ‘adhesive’ is?
  • nickjb
    Free Member

Managed to get a big cut in our self inflating mattress. Fixed it but used all the glue and patches in the kit that came with it. I’d like to get some more in case it happens again but can’t get any specs from the matress maker. This is the glue. Anyone know a suitable equivalent?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Something like this at a guess – used for welding sheet vinyl flooring.

wwaswas

Methyl Ethyl?

Legendary DJ and recreational drug supplier from the early 90’s warehouse scene?

I wondered what had happened to her!

hols2
    Free Member

stumpy01

Dunno, but MEK is not nice stuff!

brakes
    Free Member

some kind of plastic weld? solvent rather than glue.

drnosh
    Free Member

MEK……..urgh.

Melts anything that it comes into contact with, especially plastics.

Probably the best for mending vinyl inflatable beds though.

globalti
    Free Member

There are several solvents in the glue including MEK also known as butanone. Wikipedia says:

As a solvent
    Butanone is an effective and common solvent[7] and is used in processes involving gums, resins, cellulose acetate and nitrocellulose coatings and in vinyl films.[10] For this reason it finds use in the manufacture of plastics, textiles, in the production of paraffin wax, and in household products such as lacquer, varnishes, paint remover, a denaturing agent for denatured alcohol, glues, and as a cleaning agent. It has similar solvent properties to acetone but boils at a higher temperature and has a significantly slower evaporation rate.[11] Unlike acetone, it forms an azeotrope with water,[12][13] making it useful for azeotropic distillation of moisture in certain applications. Butanone is also used in dry erase markers as the solvent of the erasable dye.

As a plastic welding agent
    As butanone dissolves polystyrene and many other plastics, it is sold as “model cement” for use in connecting parts of scale model kits. Though often considered an adhesive, it is actually functioning as a welding agent in this context.

Cougar

… so it’s polystyrene cement, the sort of stuff you used to get with Airfix kits?

scud
    Free Member

I think you’d fine with this, i use a seam-sealant like this patch or add bits to packraft and it has to float on water with a big biffer in:

Seam Grip Seam Sealer

andyl
    Free Member

It is indeed just a plastic weld type adhesive. Everything in there is a solvent except the polyurethane.

I suspect the polyurethane is used as a part carrier for the solvents (so it’s like a gel rather than a runny liquid) and as a gap filler and toughener for joint. It will also be flexible so suitable for rubber.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Looks similar to Aquasure, which is stated to be Urethane (but the difference between urethane and polyurethane is probably lost in marketing speak). I haven’t see a content spec for Aquasure.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

It is a variant of a poly/urethane sealant. I have some meant for doors and windows which has a similar ingredient list although it doesnt set up hard enough to seal an air mattress.

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t bother, just get some of this:

https://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/mcnett-gear-aid-tenacious-tape-p107605&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAiA_P3jBRAqEiwAZyWWaOrWF19zPg2LVrjo9XuHmPj_jxDIg6jKHP6Zh331Y0fnUVRPnRpY-hoCjOIQAvD_BwE

It works a treat on self inflating mattresses and loads of other stuff besides. Dead useful.

freeagent
    Free Member

Dunno, but MEK is not nice stuff!

We used to use MEK when i worked in the Print – amazing stuff, cleaned anything off of anything!

Felt a bit weird on your hands though – kinda cold..

I bet it would do a great job on bike chains!

Northwind

I’d use shoo goo and possibly a bit of inner tube, personally.

It seems like a slightly weird glue to provide, tbh. If it was a material that was soluble with mek, then it’d probably melt the crap out of it. And if it’s not then why mek? Or is it the solvent for the patch rather than the bed?I’d have thought some sort of durable flexy sticky stuff (er, like shoegoo or e6000) would have been more suited.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know what this ‘adhesive’ is?’ is closed to new replies.