Home Forums Bike Forum Anyone know this track? – Ysbyty Ifan to Llyn Celynn

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone know this track? – Ysbyty Ifan to Llyn Celynn
  • gazzab1955

Anyone out there who knows this track from Ysbyty Ifan down to Llyn Celyn?

We are doing the Traws Eryri route next week and want to use this track on a different return route. Looking at Goggle maps the first part as far as Cefngwyn look ok, but after that the track isn’t really that clear on the aerial view and it crosses a river or two via fords. Any info gratefully received.

Ysbyty Ifan to Llyn Celyn

nealc
    Free Member

I’m sure someone will know. But geograph is great , if a little clunky, for these kind of things.

dreednya

I think I’ve been out on that track to the old farmhouse in a landrover for work monitoring the condition of the blanket bogs, but don’t know what it is like further on. Farmhouse is supposed top be one of the most remote in Wales and haunted.  Scenery is great if you like blanket bog, though both Arenig fach and Arenig Fawr are visual highlights.  It will rain however

mattsccm
    Free Member

If it is the one I am thinking of it is a Landy track with big puddles until it climbs then it’s open hill side with a discernible line. Could be ok in the dry but the climb was bloody hard work on a motorbike. It  used to be a right of way in decades past.

Ambrose

Looking at the 1:25000 map as well as the satellite view on Google maps it seems like there’s definitely a track of sorts at each end. What’s in the middle is anyone’s guess. Have you asked on the FB Traws Eryri page? They can be very helpful.

jameso

Doesn’t look promising tbh. I know the area, I tried to cross from one road to another a bit further to the south west along one of those paths that doesn’t exist apart from on the map, it wasn’t good. You’ll be walking the 3km middle section I expect. My general rule with Welsh ROWs is if you can’t see it on google satellite view and it goes across open tussock/bog area it’s slow hike-a-bike at best. If it goes through a forestry plantation area forget it.

jameso

You’ll prob be on MTBs but it’s worth adding that the B4407 there from Ysbyty Ifan going S onto the B4391 to Llyn Celynn are 2 lovely roads. I’ve used them a few times on tours in that area.

Another option is the track heading SE up from Ysbyty Ifan to Bwlch Blaen-y-Cwm + Ty-Mawr, then curving round S on the road maybe taking the path past the small lake (Llyn Hesgyn). I’ve ridden the start track and the road and you can see the next track past the lake in satellite view.

tractionman

Yep I use Geograph a lot for scouting routes, is this it:

https://www.geograph.org.uk/mapper/combined.php#15/52.9883/-3.7266

montgomery
    Free Member

Did it once, N-S. Never been back…. initially ok but then crossed my personal hike-a-bike threshold.

montgomery
    Free Member

The track from the reservoir up Carnedd y Filiast, the summit to the east, goes well, though.

molgrips
    Free Member

On the Strava heat map, for ‘foot’ sports there is a relatively strong signal that goes up the first part of the bridleway from the reservoir to the South up to the boundary on the map but then it stops, and some of it turns right along the boundary line. It’s possible that people have wanted to get down from there so badly that they have mistaken the boundary for a decent path :)

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Afraid not. Rode the bridleway and byway from Ynys Wen east around Foel Frech and to Blaen y cwm then south through Cadair Benllyn down to Frongoch. Was pretty good underwheel. Rocky but not baby heads.

jameso

Rode the bridleway and byway from Ynys Wen east around Foel Frech and to Blaen y cwm then south through Cadair Benllyn down to Frongoch. Was pretty good underwheel. Rocky but not baby heads.

That’s the one I was describing to go past the small lake. Good to know the latter part is ok, thanks.

gowerboy

I walked across it from Filiast to Arenig Fach ten days ago.  From memory there wasn’t a very good track along the route of that bridleway.

gazzab1955

Thanks all for the advice and info.

We are going north to south and although the initial track looks ok (!) from the aerial view the concern was having to hike-a-bike thru bogs for the last 3-4km with fully loaded bikes (camping gear etc ….). I think we will take the route suggestion from @Jameso and go south east around Foel Frech to  Bwlch Blaen-y-Cwm and then head south to Bala on what looks like very minor back roads until we hit the B4501.

Thanks again

BigJohn

Anyone know this track? – Ysbyty Ifan to Llyn Celynn

You hum it I’ll play it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.