Home Forums Bike Forum Any reason not to buy a Garmin Edge Explore 2 / OS Maps?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Any reason not to buy a Garmin Edge Explore 2 / OS Maps?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Hopefully my new Orbea Rise should turn up at some point in the next 3 weeks. Many of the new Garmin range are compatible with Shimano motors ie giving range info, gear selected etc information. So no point buying a shimano display, when you can get a Garmin that gives more info and navigation.

I started by looking at the Edge 540/840, but then gulped at the price. The Explore 2 looks more the price I want to pay, but I cant really see what the difference is between the 2, in many ways the cheaper Explore 2 looks the better solution.

Secondly is the mapping that comes on Garmin devices sufficient for riding in the UK? I assume it is not OS maps, I have read something about using Talkytoaster?

Thanks in advance

Kramer
    Free Member

is the mapping that comes on Garmin devices sufficient for riding in the UK?

Yes and no I’d say.

I use a combination of Garmin Connect, Open Cycle Map and my lifetime access to OS maps on Outdoor Active to navigate and it’s OK.

However if I didn’t have the back up of the OS maps it would be a PITA, and even so the way I use it is not particularly user-friendly.

You can buy an OS maps download but it’s about ~£350 for a single licence for one device I think, so expensive.

Having said that, having a Garmin for navigation has transformed my riding and I really like it.

PJay
    Free Member

in many ways the cheaper Explore 2 looks the better solution.

It’s a great unit, but Garmin have had too remove certain functionality in order for it not to out class more premium products.

Mainly they’ve stripped away the training functions (although, oddly, it still pairs with power meters & does V02). However, one change that it a real pain is that they’ve limited the number of user profiles to just 3 – On Road, Off Road & Indoor and you can’t add any more. This may or may not be a problem.

Kramer
    Free Member

However, one change that it a real pain is that they’ve limited the number of user profiles to just 3 – On Road, Off Road & Indoor and you can’t add any more. This may or may not be a problem.

Hmmm, that would be a problem, however if I’d never had the functionality I’m not sure I’d miss it if you know what I mean?

vmgscot

Unsure if still the same but you used an Orbea supplied app on your Garmin rather than the standard “Shimano” integration to access data from your Orbea-tuned motor (I have older 520+ linked to my Rise H15). Maybe worth checking any new Garmin is on the support list by Orbea if this is still the case.

dave_h

In my experience, Garmin maps are okay but not great.  Will help keep you going generally in the right direction but won’t stop you heading down the wrong track at times.  Maybe that’s just me though!

The Expore 2 unit is pretty good although big compared to the 5/8 series without offering signficant benefit of a bigger screen.

Touch screen is nice over buttons in most areas of use.

It has too much functionality which can be frustrating to navigate on a ride.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses so far.

I do have OS Maps on my phone, and was wondering if the maps were good enough to stop me constantly getting the phone out, which tends to happen after you have gone the wrong way!

I am not too bothered about training functions, just want to enjoy riding my bike these days !

Would be good if anyone has any views on Talkytoaster ?

Thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.