Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 210 total)
  • Any Downhillers in here?
  • Bagstard
    Free Member

Antur Ffestiniog is great fun, I will have to get myself back there soon!

ianv
    Free Member

I would probably class myself as a downhiller now. I hardly ride XC any more, miles are done on the road any other riding is on the big bike or at the BMX track. Spend 5 weeks every summer in the mountains and last year I was in France for the whole of the summer season.

Got my son started early as well 😀

Felix in Andorra by ianvincent, on Flickr

flange
    Free Member

Took this to Aston Hill yesterday. Its old, massively heavy and has a steep head angle but I love it. Had the best days riding yesterday that I’ve had in ages and now planning the next one

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

I do like a bit of Aston Hill. Tend to go there when I visit my mates down Oxford way. What’s the new track like?? Looks smooth, but fun.

Anyone else in north Herefordshire? My usual DH riding is Bringewood, Hopton or Bucknell. Though not the last few weeks as I’ve broken me collar bone.

deanfbm
    Free Member

I don’t know if i fall under the DH label. I dont have a DH bike, do enter local DH races.

If im out with a xc crew, im the DHer of the group, if im DHing with DHers, im a freerider. My friend summed it up best though, BMXers getting loose on mountain bikes.

This basically means my riding does involve riding a lot of DH tracks, but not from a DHers perspective, that is getting down as efficiently as possible. I try to get down in as pleasant feeling and looking manner as possible, so minimal contact with the ground whilst always being a little bit sideways, chilled and fluid. Freeriding?

Riding DH tracks is fun.

therag
    Free Member

I’m many miles away from being called a dh’er, but much prefer coming down rather than getting up. (As long as there’s a pussy line next to the big stuff) 🙂 I havnt done any uplift days here yet, but had a few days in morzine & les gets on the ski lifts in the summer and now booked in for a day at antur stiniog.

andyrm
    Free Member

Will be doing my first proper DH races this winter after completing my first full Enduro season and finding myself getting progressively faster.

Really looking forward to it as well.

Great thread

🙂

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

I definitely won’t mention how my neck brace definitely saved me from a bad case of whiplash, or worse, yesterday then….

I wear one too… sue me :p

It’s interesting to see so many people who like riding dh trails, really cool. As far as i’m concerned, and from my personal experience DH’ers as a group are really open, theres never a feeling of we are proper dh’ers and you aren’t because you ride x y or z. If you like riding downhill trails and hitting roots, jumps, berms and drops and it gives you an adrenaline rush that drags you back to the top to do it over and over then you are a downhiller. Doesn’t matter what bike you ride, and that’s always been the view at all the DH races/trail centers i’ve ever been to. Of course there will always be the occasional nob wobbler but I have to say they’re probably the nicest bunch in cycling 🙂

Got my son started early as well

Wish I had started early! If he keeps at it, he will be rapid one day!

I think I want a DH bike again. I’m glad i’ve been racing on the little bike, and i’m interested to see if it will make me quicker on a bigger bike now.

This was one of the biggest talking points in my circle of riding mates for a good year or so. I think it does work for some. I started on a hardtail but moved to a cheap fully really quickly. A year ago I decided I had plateaued and needed change to improve again, so I ditched my then fully and bought a hardtail. It just didn’t work for me because the feeling of discomfort and the lack of confidence outweighed the gains I made in my technical ability. So I think it’s a fine line and a very personal thing. I’m better than I was then but I definitely had to find some of the confidence I lost in that period again. It works a treat for some people though and I’d suggest trying it to anyone, if just for a change.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Took this to Aston Hill yesterday

Beast! I love the idea of a gearbox bike. Never taken the plunge though (yet.) :p

I’m assuming full-face / goggles are absolutely essential here?

If you’re doing black run then yes, definitely. Having said that even if you aren’t doing black run I’d take goggles or some sort of eye protection just because of the time of year. If you’re going to bomb all the runs as fast as you can then take full face and goggles regardless of what you’re riding I reckon.

This might go without saying but the other thing you need are dual ply tyres. If you run them normally then your sorted, but if not you atleast need a dual ply on the rear. Pinch puncture territory and lots of slate.

As far as I’m aware you need pyjamas to qualify, I’m not that comitted.

You don’t need anything to qualify lol Although underwear is usually a good thing.

Euro
    Free Member

I also don’t have a proper DH bike so use this instead.

It hasn’t seen much use this year due to injury, which is why it’s so clean 🙂

I ride mostly homebrew DH trails in Ireland (but have rode Inners a few times).

For you scalp owners, the first ‘DH’ trials I rode were in Moneyscalp – where your bike takes it’s name from. Nice bikes, crap trails.

I’ve no action pics but here’s a little vid of Cavehill near Belfast.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gKzG3k3scs&feature=share&list=UL5gKzG3k3scs[/video]

Brycey
    Free Member

.. I have to say they’re probably the nicest bunch in cycling

I’ve found the “nicest people in cycling” are generally the ones that just ride bikes about the place, regardless of their head angle, length of travel or whether their car was made in Germany or not.

Coincidentally these folk are usually the fastest as well.

Edit: Can’t help feeling this thread (and in fact nukeproofriding) is a wind up.

eightyeight
    Free Member

I hope it’s not a wind up! Everyone seems jolly nice 😀

Full face is on order…

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Why would it be a wind up? Brycey… if you’ve got nothing nice/interesting to say, can you just leave the thread?

Brycey
    Free Member

Aw don’t be like that! I’ve even got a DH bike, can I please stay? Please!

scottfitz
    Free Member

nukeproofriding have you been to stoughton DH its not that far from rogate, can do both on a day trip, rogate in morning and stoughton in afternoon. Vid of stoughton here: http://www.pinkbike.com/video/275955/

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Stoughton was the first place I ever rode and was my local for years 🙂 We helped out with building some of the trails there too. Is that spud in the white t-shirt in that video? Haven’t ridden there in ages, but will go back soon to see whats cracking!

gonzy
    Free Member

i’m more of a freerider than a downhiller but i have a down hill bike which i’ve set up as a freeride machine. i love the way it rides and normally take it wherever i can for a blast…Lee Quarry or Llandegla B-Line are good places to unleash it…

scottfitz
    Free Member

Stoughton was the first place I ever rode and was my local for years We helped out with building some of the trails there too. Is that spud in the white t-shirt in that video? Haven’t ridden there in ages, but will go back soon to see whats cracking!

No spud snaped his mech be for that was filmed, it’s Joe in the white. how long ago did you help out there? As you can tell from the vid its much bigger now!

xiphon
    Free Member

i’m more of a freerider than a downhiller but i have a down hill bike which i’ve set up as a freeride machine.

Oh dear….

I generally fit into the ‘ride a bit of everything’ category. Race BMX, commute on a roadie, all-day Lakes epics on the little bike, race DH on the big bike…

Which means I also don’t fit into any category 🙂

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

No spud snaped his mech be for that was filmed, it’s Joe in the white. how long ago did you help out there? As you can tell from the vid its much bigger now!

Probably about a year ago or something? Maybe a little more actually. How much of it has actually changed?

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

It’s interesting to see so many people who like riding dh trails, really cool. As far as i’m concerned, and from my personal experience DH’ers as a group are really open, theres never a feeling of we are proper dh’ers and you aren’t because you ride x y or z. If you like riding downhill trails and hitting roots, jumps, berms and drops and it gives you an adrenaline rush that drags you back to the top to do it over and over then you are a downhiller. Doesn’t matter what bike you ride, and that’s always been the view at all the DH races/trail centers i’ve ever been to. Of course there will always be the occasional nob wobbler but I have to say they’re probably the nicest bunch in cycling

Isn’t that the truth! Was talking to someone about this the other day and I think it’s partly because uplifts/pushing are great levellers in the sense that some people get down the hill twice as fast, and with style…but once those 3 mins are over, they’re gonna be pushing back up/riding up/in the bus with you chatting about what that last run was like. Or stood at the side of the trail encouraging you when you are trying to session a jump they have just made look easy. DH is actually good for a range of levels, whereas on an XC ride, a big difference in fitness/ability is harder to accommodate….and it’s difficult to talk to that ‘expert rider’ when you are gasping for breath just trying to keep up.

legend
    Free Member

gonzy – Member
    i’m more of a freerider than a downhiller but i have a down hill bike which i’ve set up as a freeride machine. i love the way it rides and normally take it wherever i can for a blast…Lee Quarry or Llandegla B-Line are good places to unleash it…

Holy BB height batman! 😯

You do know you can lower the BB on that frame?

flange
    Free Member

Booked Antur for the 30th – I’m a bit excited!

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Agree on the comments about downhillers being a friendly bunch. I find that they are the most layed back of all cyclists and generally can’t be happier than when you agree to follow or be followed by them Down a run.

Every race I’ve entered I’ve only ever got encouragement from fellow riders on my run. There is, I find, a mutual respect amongst downhillers on the basis that regardless of your ability, you are giving it a go and that in itself is enough.

If any of you go to Aston give me a shout, I’ll happily meet up with any of you and show you the fast line down the black run 😉

kudos100
    Free Member

I wouldn’t consider myself a downhiller, but I do ride a bit of DH. I’ve been slacking ever since I came back to the alps. 30 degrees every day and chairlifts will do that to you.

My ride is a giant reign x, with totems and offset shock bushings. She will be getting an angleset and some beefier brakes next year.

When I do get around to riding, it is Rogate, Kingley Vale and occasionally Cwmcarn or UK bikepark.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Probably about a year ago or something? Maybe a little more actually. How much of it has actually changed?

The big table is bigger and the rock garden is 3 times the size and lots of tweeking.

andyrm
    Free Member

Isn’t that the truth! Was talking to someone about this the other day and I think it’s partly because uplifts/pushing are great levellers in the sense that some people get down the hill twice as fast, and with style…but once those 3 mins are over, they’re gonna be pushing back up/riding up/in the bus with you chatting about what that last run was like. Or stood at the side of the trail encouraging you when you are trying to session a jump they have just made look easy. DH is actually good for a range of levels, whereas on an XC ride, a big difference in fitness/ability is harder to accommodate….and it’s difficult to talk to that ‘expert rider’ when you are gasping for breath just trying to keep up.

Totally agree – and have seen the same friendly and encouraging approach in Enduro, primarily for the same reason, no matter how fast you killed it on the last stage, you too are gonna be sweating riding that 30lb 6″ bike back up……

I love that friendliness and openness. But then I am knocking on a bit and remember the old friendly but mad vibe from legendary events like the Malvern Classic!

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

+1

The vibe at the few enduro race weekends i’ve been to this year has been amazing. The riding has been awesome too!

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

The big table is bigger and the rock garden is 3 times the size and lots of tweeking.

Ill head up there in the next few days for sure then! Is it all open at the moment? I see that you guys are going through the process of getting it forestry registered etc?

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Will be doing my first proper DH races this winter

What races you doing bud?

dans160
    Free Member

I think I have ridden XC about 5 times this year. Hence the bike is up for sale. I’ve just been riding DH. Fitness seems to be loads better and I’ve lost plenty of flab. Apart form the falling off bit I think I just prefer it.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Ill head up there in the next few days for sure then! Is it all open at the moment? I see that you guys are going through the process of getting it forestry registered etc?

Yes and Yes

Also anyone that want to race mini DH ib the south this year Gravity project are runnung a series again.
    There will be 4 venues and 5 rounds. 😀

March 2/3rd – Rogate
    April 6/7th – Gravity project Venue 1 or 2
    May 4/5th – Gravity project Venue 1 or 2
    June 1/2nd – Venue yet to be relesed (Near Petersfield) 😉
    July 6/7th – Gravity project Venue 1 or 2

andyrm
    Free Member

What races you doing bud?

Going to get in the 661 minis, whatever ones the DTV crew come up with and the rumoured winter races that Mr Bling is putting together at the moment – looking forward to it!

🙂

MadPierre

I’ve probably ridden my DH bike less this year than any other but not cuz I’ve gone off it – it’s just the way things have been.

In the past: Morzine area (loads of times), Whistler (3 times), Les Arcs, Alp D’Huez, Stile Cop, Hopton, Bringewood, Moelfre, Caersws, Cwmcarn, Ae etc etc etc

I’ve never raced though.

Recently went to Antur Stiniog for the first time and I want to go back soon! First time on the DH bike since March!

Sample Antur Stiog Video

Hopefully get to Whistler again next year?

scottfitz
    Free Member

Going to get in the 661 minis, whatever ones the DTV crew come up with and the rumoured winter races that Mr Bling is putting together at the moment – looking forward to it!

Or PORC race on the 25th Nov? I will be there, not raced at porc yet, looking forward to it!

gonzy
    Free Member

LEGEND – i know and i’ve tried all the different combinations to try and lower the BB height and thats as low as i can seem to get it even with running 24″ rims. having said that the BB height looks tall but once i get my lardy butt over the saddle it drops to the correct height and it rides brilliantly…or at least i think it does…

xiphon
    Free Member

@Gonzy

Looks like the i2i of your shock is too long?

greeble
    Free Member

@Gonzy

i-2-i is fine the shock should be mounted in the bottom hole of the black linkage plate. not the top as it is now. It looks like you need a step ladder to get on the thing.
    the bottom hole should slacken the head angle and lower the bb

ads678

As far as i’m concerned, and from my personal experience DH’ers as a group are really open, theres never a feeling of we are proper dh’ers and you aren’t because you ride x y or z.

I don’t want to ruin the DH lovin but isn’t this thread asking people to single themselves out rather than just be MTBer’s?

I do a bit of everything XC, AM, DH, natural, man made. I just like like being on bikes. I probably do more DH then XC nowadays but that’s cos it’s easier to thrash out a few runs at warncliffe/stainburn/silton type places than fit a long XC/AM ride in now i’ve got kids. I don’t own a DH bike, I just ride my old Five everywhere. I don;t think you really need a full on DH bike in this country unless you’re racing (i’ll get flamed now).

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Not long ’til the first round of the FoD winter series 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 210 total)

The topic ‘Any Downhillers in here?’ is closed to new replies.