Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 210 total)
  • Any Downhillers in here?
  • nukeproofriding
    Free Member

If so, where/what do you ride? This forum seems to be mostly xc/am guys but I’m interested to see if there are some DH peeps too.

I ride a 2012 Nukeproof Scalp, usually ride low key places but some trail centres too like UKBP, Aston, Rogate, FOD, Gawton etc.etc.

Rosss
    Free Member

This is definately a XC orientated forum but there isn’t a busy forum like STW for dh. Ride IO is dead in comparison! I do a little DH when I can. Usually ride Stile cop but have done Cwmcarn, Gawton, Tavi and a fortnight in france. Had a 2006 Norco team DH but i’m just finishing a 2010 Giant Glory 00. I’ll post some pictures up when im done!

Jamie
    Free Member

I thought this was a roadie forum?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    empireofthefun
    Free Member

Another Dh rider here keeping a low profile. Ride FOD as its only 3 miles away and cwmcarn with the odd trip Scotland or abroad thrown in..
    Empire AP1 for me plus just built a 2012 Nukeproof Mega (first outing tomorrow)

igrf
    Free Member

Transition Covert, only ride up to come down…

Get to the Alps whenever I can, did FOD earlier this year with flyup downhill on the Transition day.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Nice to know there are a few of us on here. Yeah I used to be on ride.io (when it was SDH) alot.. but like you say it’s a shame because it has gone a bit quiet. I don’t know whether its because of the name change but either way Rob and the guys who run it really deserve a busy forum. I try to use it as much as poss but just haven’t been using forums until recently.

If anyone hasn’t ridden Gawton i’d definitely recommend it as somewhere you can really push yourself in the UK.

Me and some mates are planning a little road trip to wales in early december so if any of you fancy riding some of the tracks in the south of wales for a long weekend in december let me know! We’re staying at a mates house and maybe camping one night so if you’re all man enough 😉 We’ve got a landy with a winch just in case Wales is like it always is in december haha.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

but i’m just finishing a 2010 Giant Glory 00. I’ll post some pictures up when im done!

Yeah post some pics man! Maybe we can carve a little niche for DH here on STW.

Transition Covert, only ride up to come down…

Get to the Alps whenever I can, did FOD earlier this year with flyup downhill on the Transition day. Ahhh… riding up. Something I rarely do hahaha.

Empire AP1 for me plus just built a 2012 Nukeproof Mega (first outing tomorrow)

I really liked the Ap1’s when they came out! I really like the lateral thinking they applied to their frames. How does it ride though?

I thought this was a roadie forum?

I thought it was a general mtb forum hence the name single track? Could be wrong though…

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

Rosss – This is definitely a dis-orientated forum

FTFY. The thing I dislike about Ride IO is the 42 sub forums. Just because the system allows it doesn’t mean you have to use it! Keep it simple.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Ride Dh Stu?

yodagoat
    Free Member

The only DH idiot I knew on here got banned.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Is that meant to be an insult or…? Are we not wanted? :p I don’t understand lol

b45her
    Free Member

you’ll soon find out that this forum is mostly a bunch of Audi boys talking about Ipads and whatever the latest stupid gimmick bike is so they can drive to the country club with one on the A6’s roof.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

hahahaha.

walleater

I don’t know what I am these days, but riding uphill blows goats, I’m not into hitting big dorps any more so freeride is out, so I guess I’m a downhiller! I drive a battered old Toyota pick up and ride an equally battered Giant Glory, and live in Vancouver these days so I guess I’m not typical STW demographic.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

That view is epic man… I am so envious of anybody who lives in vancouver!

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I guess you could call me a DHer but I’m mainly an enduro racer. For about as long as I was properly into MTB I’ve been riding XC and then a day of DH too. I don’t have a DH bike but I’m of the opinion that unless you’re riding really rough tracks like Fort Bill and Glencoe, you don’t need one at all. So I’ve got a 160mm travel enduro bike which does everything.

I’ve nearly finished making a new DH/freeride video. It should be done and uploaded sometime next week so I’ll stick up a link on the forum for ya.

kimbers

i ride dh
    done a few enduros this year too
    but im slow!
    and based in london
    the very recent arrival of a 2nd kimbers junior means i dont get much riding in lately

julianwilson
    Free Member

I do, but it is the least ridden of my bikes: much easier to pop out for a couple of hours at night or get some badass hills in on way to work than all the faff of getting a 38lb bike/kit to the trails for a decent length of time: a day off spent downhilling is a day without spending much time with the kids. Gawton/Tavi Woodlands, mostly.

A few other local dh-ers lurk or infrequently post on here too.

carlphillips
    Free Member

yup me too, ride with monsieur Wilson above^^^
    mainly gawton… a few other places locally and a bit of cwmcarn occasionally.(and again in the next few weeks hopefully)

just got a NP scalp also, I’m loving it, its really plush on the rear compared to my 224.

mmm south wales trip….keep me posted, mail in profile…

grum
    Free Member

Not sure if I qualify but I like to do the odd uplift day on my Pitch, which now has 36 Vans and a DHX5, so is pretty much a freeride/mini DH bike. Been to Alpe D’Huez and Andorra Bike Parks as well. FoD DH is fun too.

leeph
    Free Member

Another DH, but getting a bit old for it……takes too long to mend myself.

Rides Orange 224 World Cup – mostly ride fort bill and France, but have been to Canada before family pressure took over!

mikey74
    Free Member

Another DHer here: I don’t really do much xc these days as I tend to do my cardio during the week on the road bike, and like to save the weekend for fun.

I mainly ride Rogate, on my Spesh SX Trail, but with annual trips to Whistler, Wales etc.

samcamsdad

I own a dh bike, orange 224, but i@d not call myself a downhiller. only gets used 3 or 4 times a year.
    Used it a lot more before kids. Regular at hamsterly, setmurthy, and local bridleways in the lakes. love riding at inners, but don’t get up there enough now.

jam-bo

mainly gawton

i live five minutes from gawton and havent actually ridden there this year.

sold my DH bike for now but will get another when funds allow.

_tom_
    Free Member

I only really ride DH and jumps on my mtb now, can’t be arsed with doing lots of miles on a mtb, would rather ride my road bike if that’s the aim. Mostly just ride at Woburn at the minute with the odd trip down to the FOD or up to stile cop. Spent last summer in Whistler which was amazing, still not really got over the post holiday blues as we don’t have anything comparable over here!

Used to ride a Santa Cruz Bullit but I get by on my Blender now, it’s way more fun. Here’s a vid of the kind of stuff I ride that I made at the start of the year – http://www.pinkbike.com/video/259602/

legend
    Free Member

Still got the Commencal Supreme DH here, so I suppose I’m still a DHer. Although done 1 race this yearly and barely used it other a couple of weeks in France. New mid-travel bikes are just too much fun (all the time) in comparison!

Here’s proof that I do occasionally ride in though 🙄

Innerleithen SDA 2011 by mark_p2511, on Flickr

xiphon
    Free Member

I probably ride more DH than I do anything else (commuting by road bike excluded)

‘No Fuss Events’ Fort William DH Endurance Race 2012

Northwind

I do a bit… Wouldn’t call myself a “downhiller”, it’s just mountain biking…

Got me a 2011 Last Herb DH, and mostly ride it at innerleithen, though been up to glencoe and the fort for races in the last wee bit. I hate pushing up with a passion so I tend to stick to uplifts.

goodgrief
    Free Member

another supreme here, did my first season this year racing in the SDA series.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Keep the pics coming guys, ill do my best to get some up of my new steed for the next season in a day or two.

And yeah i’m with you _tom_ I’m the same. I can see the attraction to xc, but it just doesn’t float my boat. I use my road bike a lot so theres just no point me owning an xc bike because it bores me stiff.

Do you all ride year round or are there summer only riders (cough cowards cough) here? :p I’m ill right now and i’m absolutely craving a ride. Torture.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Not sure if I qualify but I like to do the odd uplift day on my Pitch

If you like going downhill and it’s not a flat fire road then of course you do :p

i ride dh
    done a few enduros this year too
    but im slow!
    and based in london

Yeah I live in London too, but not all year round, so I get the chance to ride more regularly than I would if I lived in central London 365 a year. PORC is doable by train or car from, but it’s miles to anywhere else.

Having said that, I used to see the occasional wbanker (or atleast I assume something like that) riding their carbon v10’s and other top dollar bikes on hampstead heath with neckbraces, full faces, goggles, body armour and clips LOL

bren2709

I’m another DH’er.

Don’t you just love the narrow minded ones!

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Don’t you just love the narrow minded ones!

Go easy, his lycra shorts are 3 sizes too small and they’re digging into his scrotum.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Another downhiller here. Almost exclusively DH in fact, though I do have a trusty Spesh Camber for occasional trail bashing.

Also riding a Scalp at the minute, which is by far the best DH bike I’ve ever owned. Aston is my local spot and will be entering all the British champs rounds next year so will no doubt see you around at some point nukeproofriding.

empireofthefun
    Free Member

The Empire rides fantastic especially with the ccdb on..
    The only thing holding it back is the lack of skill and fitness from its owner.
    Tracks the ground superbly, I would put pics up if only I knew how to

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Another Downhiller and Nuke Proof Scalp owner here.

Used to do some of the Midland Series DH but now do uplift days at Pearce cycle venues, Llangollen etc.

Now do most of my DH over at Antur Stiniog.

Also do lots of XC,AM and a few Gravity enduros etc.

do most of my DH riding at Antur Stiniog now. also do a few local tracks and been over to

Have also done a few Gravity Enduros etc.

ThePinkster

I used to be a downhiller but haven’t done it since about 1997.

gazc
    Free Member

among other things i ride DH. not built my new scalp up yet, but professional exams are in the way at the moment so all is on hold till they’re sorted. itching to get out again and can’t wait to get the scalp up and running and finally have a DH bike that actually fits me!

zangolin
    Free Member

DH, XC, Road and BMX/4x.
    DH mostly at FoD a little at Hopton, Bringewood.
    DH/XC mostly on NP framed bikes.

yodagoat
    Free Member

No offence ment by my comment!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 210 total)

The topic ‘Any Downhillers in here?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts