Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 210 total)
  • Any Downhillers in here?
  • transporter13
    Free Member

Another downhill only rider here.

Only ever ridden at
    Woburn
    Chicksands( I know. Not really dh but still)
    Stile cop
    Wharncliffe

Currently planning to try out some uplifts a bit further afield with some mates

chvck
    Free Member

I ride some DH (no proper races though) among other things. I ride it on my BFe, went out to the Alps this summer on it with guys all on big bouncers… has made me want a bigger bike somewhat!

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Also riding a Scalp at the minute, which is by far the best DH bike I’ve ever owned. Aston is my local spot and will be entering all the British champs rounds next year so will no doubt see you around at some point nukeproofriding.

I’m itching to try mine. I took a bit of a hiatus when they were just coming out and now they’re mega popular. Yeah will see you at southern champs at aston next year and probably the british champ rounds too!

Give us a shout if you’re up for this wales trip in early december too. Anyones welcome to come join if they feel man enough to lock horns with deepest darkest wales in december. 🙂

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

I’m primarily a DH’ller. Although I probably shouldn’t be with the amount of time I end up on the floor lately 🙄

Ride XC too, to get to see the country and keep CV fit.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

has made me want a bigger bike somewhat!

2nd hand fully all the way! I buy mine off pinkbike. There are some absolute bargains that pop up there with people who either dont seem to care or dont know what their bike is worth 2nd hand.

Currently planning to try out some uplifts a bit further afield with some mates

Gawton, UKBP and FOD are well worth a day on the uplift! If you want a real challenge Gawton will do it. Go on a busy day and try and keep up with the locals and you improve loads – they’re bloody rapid nutters, so so fast. I couldn’t keep up with them but I improved loads. I think they built a new uplift route since I went last as well – it was nuts before.

I used to be a downhiller but haven’t done it since about 1997.

Next weekend is a fine weekend to start again. We expect to see pictures of your new bike by wednesday and pictures of you riding by sunday. :p

ahsf
    Free Member

i ride all mountain but race DH so mountain biker is what i am, carbon v10 to race with and a alpine 160 for the rest.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Another Downhiller and Nuke Proof Scalp owner here.

Pro or comp? :p I got a comp but It’s got some none stock parts. Elixir 3’s (which I haven’t tried yet, little bit dubious about the power they offer because i’ve also been a hope guy but we shall see..) Sdg saddle, sram x9 and xo drivetrain and cassette (xo guide) new tacky minions, sdg fly saddle, rest is stock. Comp frame as well – might have to take a few of the stickers off – they’re well designed I think but just way too many of them. I might get it powdered matte black at some point because I saw a matte black scalp on PB and it looked nuts..

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

I’ve nearly finished making a new DH/freeride video. It should be done and uploaded sometime next week so I’ll stick up a link on the forum for ya.

Do it! Sounds awesome.

I’m primarily a DH’ller. Although I probably shouldn’t be with the amount of time I end up on the floor lately

I end up on the floor after xc rides more than dh luckily haha. I just like sprinting more I guess :p The weather isn’t exactly in your favour currently though is it? lol

_tom_
    Free Member

has made me want a bigger bike somewhat!

I have an old Santa Cruz Bullit frame for sale (maybe some 55s to go with it as well) if you’re after something cheap and reliable 🙂 Not really slack/low like modern frames but it’s a really fun bike to ride, just too much for me. Better for jumps and that I reckon as it actually requires rider input rather than just soaking it all up!

And yeah i’m with you _tom_ I’m the same. I can see the attraction to xc, but it just doesn’t float my boat. I use my road bike a lot so theres just no point me owning an xc bike because it bores me stiff.

Do you all ride year round or are there summer only riders (cough cowards cough) here? :p I’m ill right now and i’m absolutely craving a ride. Torture.

I do enjoy a good XC ride every so often (love the long mynd) but since getting a road bike I just hate putting in miles on a mtb as it’s so slow and inefficient haha. And I ride all year round, I actually prefer woburn in the wet as it’s less beach-like and it’s normally nice and tacky when its had some rain on it. Love working 5 minutes away, so convenient to go for a ride after an early shift at work!

Might as well add in my cheesy posed photo from last summer in Whistler 🙂

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

I ride anything and everything really. My BFe hardtail gets the most use, but I’m all about the downhills and try and get out on my DH bike whenever I can. Here it is after a wet as hell day in Les Gets this summer:

She’s actually for sale though, as I want an enduro bike, and I don’t actually race DH so it’s a little unnecessary (but sooo much fun).

Rosss
    Free Member

PocketShepherd – Lush bike, How do you rate the wheels?

carlosg
    Free Member

I’ve ridden more DH than XC in the last year , my poor old P7 has hardly seen the light of day. Do most of my riding at Wharncliffe/Grenoside but we have a lads long weekend up at Fort Bill every year. Until recently I was using an ’06 SX trail with triples but I upgraded my frame to this–> (steel content)

I’m loving it ,the 3lb extra weight over the SX is worth it IMO.

stumpyjumper
    Free Member

Been riding dh ever since shift, super 8 and kranked were the newest riding vids. Iv always had a big bike in my fleet and although I only ride It a few times a year it makes my normal riding much quicker. Rarely get to play anywhere other than warners and occasionally Scotland. Should really sell it but somehow can do it.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Love working 5 minutes away

Lucky git :p Whistler looks stunning as usual… have to go there within a year or two.

Another nice commie! Love that atherton blue.

I’m loving it ,the 3lb extra weight over the SX is worth it IMO.

I bet that thing munches rocks man! 3lb’s is definitely worth it. Do you even notice the difference in weight?

carlosg
    Free Member

Do you even notice the difference in weight?

Only when I’m loading it into the back of the car to come home. The big problem is a proper DH bike is making me brave ,I’ve started launching drops that I used to roll and I’m even getting air of jumps. At 42 I just don’t bounce well anymore.

chiefP
    Free Member

I dabble in a bit of DH, not done much this year due to injury but also enjoy XC and Gravity enduro’s so here is my pic

Bike 2012 Specialized Demo 8 II

Northwind

Pic of mine:

IMG_0778 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

The white doesn’t photograph well normally, too shiny. Easy fix for that :mrgreen: Just replaced the forks with 2010 Teams purely because I’m a tart.

legend
    Free Member

chiefP – Member
    I dabble in a bit of DH, not done much this year due to injury but also enjoy XC and Gravity enduro’s so here is my pic

Nice positioning of the right foot 😉

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

Rosss – Wheels are good. Not quite as bombproof as mavics as i’ve had a couple of dings in them, but they stand up to being bent back into shape/repaired pretty well.

nukeproofriding – cheers, it is a lovely colour. even moreso when clean!

Northwind – Last herb DH, yes? I am a fan. Something a bit different! So close to ordering a Herb 160 as my enduro bike.

chiefP
    Free Member

chiefP – Member
    legend – Member
    Nice positioning of the right foot

Haha yeah i did notice later, safe to say nothing went wrong 😉

Northwind

That’s it, aye… it’s good, not the best pedaller and it doesn’t pop off things as much as some, but the amount of traction is ridiculous. Better than I am, anyway.

Sizing’s weird though- mine is a medium but it’s titchy, the medium falls much closer to the small than to the large. TBH it’s a little short for me but it does the job. So, I’d watch for that if you’re looking at other Lasts.

zangolin
    Free Member

Some more Scalp riding – FoD last Jan.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Gold black and white! Looks beast. I’ve only been on this forum a few days… there are a lot of fools. None of them are DH riders. Strange that. lol

I’m currently deliberating on whether to buy a Bell Sanction, a Bell drop or another THE. Because my current THE is pretty badly beat up. But I loved that helmet. Anyone tried the Bell sanction/drop?

DH bike is making me brave

embrace it while it lasts because bravery ebbs and flows and it’s better to have it than not in DH. I wouldn’t mind wagering more people are hurt by their fear than bravery. Atleast that’s what I’ve found once or twice when i’ve failed to commit to a gap drop or whatever. :0

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

Remember the Troops Urban X 2012.
    today at warncliffe cracking Mini DH( not the car )lol

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

jim79
    Free Member

Good thread this, the nobbers seem to be keeping away – horrified no doubt!
    Another Scalp rider, ride Gawton, Woodlands and Cwmcarn when I can, and went to Morzine for fist time this year – outstanding. Don’t think I’l be able to swing a repeat trip next year though due to impending wedding.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m liking the idea of this “post downhilling stuff thread”, much nicer than reading about people pootling around between various pubs to drink warm brown beer and eat obscure cheeses 🙂 Haven’t got many action shots of myself but I was pleased with this one from a-line, apart from my bow leggedness and lack of any real style. Have since worked on getting my left knee tucked in and looking approximately 90% radder

oh and all of the helmet cam stuff I’ve bothered to do so far – http://www.youtube.com/user/todgemistro?feature=guide

robowns
    Free Member

I like your hardtail vid Tom, good riding

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Is this thread still committed to actual mountain bike discussion? I’m almost gobsmacked. No pedantry, no snide remarks, no vitriol, just like minded folk talking about mountain biking for 2 whole pages.

A first surely?

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Downhill riders I salute you. Some nice footage there tom. Whistler looks maad.

Another Scalp rider

They’re taking over the world! Thats like what.. 7 in this 2 page thread or something? 5 at least? Mad.

eightyeight
    Free Member

I wouldn’t call myself a DH rider, but only ride up to get down and have ridden done a few gravity enduros. I went to Grizedale this weekend, and chose to loop the black rather than do the the Northface trail! So not got quite sure what that makes me – DHcurious?

Problem being, have an AM bike and can’t justify buying another bike yet 🙁

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

fervouredimage – Member

Is this thread still committed to actual mountain bike discussion? I’m almost gobsmacked. No pedantry, no snide remarks, no vitriol, just like minded folk talking about mountain biking for 2 whole pages.

A first surely?

I definitely won’t mention how my neck brace definitely saved me from a bad case of whiplash, or worse, yesterday then…. 😉

xiphon
    Free Member

This my old-school gravity bitch….

Frame is 10 years old, forks 8 years, and rims 10 years (D521 36H!).

170mm each end.

Brakes are from 2003 era (still work fantastic).

Survived the Fort Bill DH Endurance (previous pic) intact – 6hrs back-to-back down the Fort…

salome33
    Free Member

nukeproofriding, great shout on this feed. Last few months I started using this alot more to build my bike and realised that the real downhillers / guys that push back up (like me) and few and far between!

So this wales road trip your guys hitting the downhill parks or doing enduro stuff? my bikes a converted hardtail jump bike with 8 gears so its pretty naff at long distance but great on built trails!

woodsa
    Free Member

Another Dh’er here! A few trips over to Les Gets for the passporte du soleil gradually pulled me back into the need for DH speed.
    I’m sure the XC crowd, given a day on an uplift would be buzzing enough to to hooked. After all, one of the most fun aspects of XC riding is tackling the flowy, twisty, techy sections of a ride. It certainly is for me.
    So it’s another Norco team for me. With riding places such as
    FoD
    CwmCarn
    Hopton
    and then more local places like Aston

What ever bike your on, can’t be wrong!

eightyeight
    Free Member

Following the clip on another thread, I’m thinking of heading to Antur Stiniog before xmas (maybe coupled with a day in Betws). I’m assuming full-face / goggles are absolutely essential here?

Anyone else based in Manc on this thread?

woodsa
    Free Member

Bagstard
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure loads on here ride DH or ride DH tracks, but don’t really class themselves as DHers, myself included. As far as I’m aware you need pyjamas to qualify, I’m not that comitted. 😉

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ve been racing DH on my little bike, after selling my DH bike earlier this year due to a lack of use.

Find I can ‘almost’ be as fast on some tracks, but on the rougher, bigger, steeper stuff with big jumps I do tend to throttle back a bit, and question what i’m doing.

The losses in pedalling ability of a DH bike is made up on what I can get away with riding it. Some races on my AM bike have felt like a 3 minute accident all the way down, yet somehow i’ve held onto it, yet it’s not much slower (seconds, rather than 10’s of seconds).

I think I want a DH bike again. I’m glad i’ve been racing on the little bike, and i’m interested to see if it will make me quicker on a bigger bike now.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 210 total)

The topic ‘Any Downhillers in here?’ is closed to new replies.