Home Forums Bike Forum Age old Question: SRAM or Shimano?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Age old Question: SRAM or Shimano?
  • LeeW

I know it’s a question that’s been asked multiple times, but I’ve been out of the game for a few years.

I have the option of a couple of bikes, one has 2023 XT and one has 2023 SRAM X01 ASX Eagle. if they were both mechanical, I’d have no qualms going for Shimano as that’s what i’m used to, etc. etc.. But, the lure of electronic shifting is getting to me. I have 8 year old DA Di2 on the road bike which has always been faultless. Can anyone give me any real world feedback on the wireless SRAM X01 ASX please?

Tracey

We are running AXS on four bikes. XX1, X01 and GX.

It’s been faultless. Wouldn’t go back.

Haze

I’ve had rear derailleur issues with both eTap and Di2

Last Sram replacement was the A2 version based on the 12s build, only gets out in the winter and no issues with it.

ajantom

I know my mate had an AXS (X01 I think) rear mech replaced under warranty – not sure what the problem was though (he then killed the new one on a rock. Doh!)

It made me laugh that my whole Microshift groupset cost only slightly more than his chain!

tomhoward

Had XX1 AXS x2 for 5 years now, both faultless. Same with 2x GX AXS I’ve had for 1 and 2 years.

Not going back to cables.

crossed

SRAM AXS every single time.

Mine’s been utterly faultless since I first started running it in early 2019. Two bikes are now running the new T-Type stuff and it’s even better again.

mjsmke

SRAM AXS is brilliant. Easy to set up and easy to adjust. Battery last ages too. Replacement/spare batteries are not expensive.

Shimano is also great but no wireless option. If I had Shimano I’d go for mechanical over Di2 just to avoid all the silly tin wires and annoying battery.

chestrockwell

I’m a huge Shimano fan, have it on all my bikes and if the SRAM was mechanical I’d say Shimano no worries. Be tempted by the ASX though, especially if the rest of the kit is similar between the bikes.

martinhutch

I do like Shimano shifters and dislike the Dub standard, but if someone is offering 2023 X01 AXS and 2023 XT at the same price, there’s only one answer unless the rest of the XT bike was massively better.

footflaps

Have converted all our bikes over to SRAM AXS now…..

DickBarton

Axs for me, absolutely fantastic system. The xt stuff I’ve experienced has a cheese like rear mech cage – can be straightened by hand without much effort.

jimdubleyou

I’m not a fan of SRAM mechanical – it’s probably bias from being on shimano so long.

I have GX AXS on my MTB, and 105 Di2 on my road bike. Both work pretty flawlessly. You have to plug the wireless Di2 brifters in to update the firmware which is a bit of a ball ache, otherwise it’s all done on the app.

My next gravel bike will have a GX AXS rear – having a dinner plate low gear on a loaded bike will be the mutts…

iainc

I have AXS on both my gravel bikes, and on my eMTB, and di2 on both my road bikes (one regular one eroad) . I prefer the SRAM kit.

north of the border

Low end: go Shimano. High end: SRAM. I’ve an XX1 mechanical groupset from 2018 and it’s been faultless. Now on AXS and despite some early reservations, it’s superb.

The biggest surprise for me has been the lifespan of the chain and cassettes which is / was so much better than Shimano. Expensive when you do eventually have to replace but I can live with that. AXS fitted in February and 2k miles later, no noticeable wear on the chain.

oceanskipper

Done 9K KM on a GX AXS mech and it’s superb. Zero issues.

LeeW

Thanks for the feedback all, it sounds pretty unanimous!

I’ve not tried AXS due to the amount of mechs I smash into oblivion

Purely mechanical, I’m Shimano on all my bikes – if just for the shifters. I have had plenty of SRAM mechanical for comparison – and the mechs sometimes shatter when brushing a blade of grass

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Simple decision…. Do you want electrical shit on your bike ?

(during daytime)

didnthurt

Mechanical I prefer Shimano for dropbar bikes and SRAM for mountain bikes. I don’t like double tap but do like the positive shifting of SRAM on the mountain bike.

Electronic I’d go SRAM on both. Less hastle to swap batteries and is 100% wireless.

dyna-ti

Mechanic I’ve used both shimano and sram across 30 odd bikes crossing 3+ decades and tbh I’ve not really felt they’re that much different. Though should say this is on the higher end groupsets – XT/XTR GX/XO the lower stuff on both companies is quite poor really.

I’d love AXS but its just way too overpriced currently.

reeksy

What type of bike?

I’d have no qualms going electric if it was on a gravel/light duties bike but given my history I’m not sure I would do that for anything that would see rougher tracks.

devash
    Free Member

Having ran GX / X01 mechanical for the past couple of years, I think I would find it hard to move back to Shimano now.

Still not ready to make the leap to electric though, despite all the positive noise.

If I was building a budget ride, Deore would be my go to though.

muggomagic

Only mark against SRAM for me is cost of replacements. GX cassette is around £150 whereas SLX is around £65 even XT can be had for £95

corroded
    Free Member

I’ll only have Shimano on all my bikes (road, gravel, MTB), mainly because I much prefer the brakes. Cost of replacement parts also a factor. But I’ll concede that AXS works well and the shifting is just as good as Shimano.

LeeW

reeksy

What type of bike?

It’s a full suspension MTB.

thegeneralist

Simple decision…. Do you want electrical shit on your bike ?

Good point, put I have Di2 on the road bike which is lectric, not issues (it is a few years old now and tech has come a long way)

tomhoward

Only mark against SRAM for me is cost of replacements

Cassettes last aaaages though, so in the long run, there’s not much in it.

muggomagic

TBF I’ve had Shimano SLX microspline cassettes last just as long as my last GX.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.