Home Forums Bike Forum Adding a drive belt to Tacx rollers – any extra resistance?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Adding a drive belt to Tacx rollers – any extra resistance?
  • 13thfloormonk

I’m quite enjoying my roller workouts at the moment, in my highest gear and spinning 95-100rpm I can get a useful sweetspot workout (well, give or take, given that I’m just guessing where my sweetspot is based on HR…).

Just wondered if there is any useful extra resistance to be achieved by sticking an extra drive belt on the other end of the rollers too?

I’ve still to fit a proper trainer tyre, would this add some resistance by dint of not ‘warming up’ as much as a normal tyre?

I’m going to experiment with dropping tyre pressure a bit too, I run 80psi outdoors but 100psi on rollers to prevent bucking bronco, if lowering pressure means I have to get smoother then so be it!

And yes, I know, the correct answer is to use the turbo, I’ll eventually move on to that once I’ve maxed out the rollers…

Ta

yetidave
    Free Member

with some rollers you can get resistance drums, which have magnets in. I have a set of planet x resist rollers with one. Bl00dy hard work, not just spinning.

BenjiM
    13thfloormonk

Thanks gents, both good suggestions, I should have caveated my post by saying I didn’t want to spend much money though.

I finally dredged up a post on the Trainerroad forum from someone saying that a second belt made no difference, so will bin that idea.

Lots of posts about using a cheap heavy tyre to increase resistance, I’m limited by frame clearance, wondering if there’s any ‘benefit’ to fitting a 25mm Schwalbe Marathon on the front 😀

BenjiM

Other than being a bit noiser no. I’ve heard that some folk have wrapped towels around the rollers, how effective that is I don’t know. Lower pressures and maybe use the cross bike with 40mm tyres if you have the clearance. Also take a mtn bike tube, cut off the stem and add it to the rollers. Or add 2, one on each side for even more resistance.. The tube is also a quick and easy replacement for a broken roller belt. (copied from another forum).

The same forum also suggests turning them upside down and riding them round the house!

imnotverygood

Stick a bigger fan out front. Keeps you cooler & adds more wind resistance. Win-win 😃

sbtouring
    Free Member

Instead of messing with the rollers, could you possibly increase your gear size? Bigger chainring, or smaller cassette? That’s what I did. Bought a cheap TA 56 tooth chainring.

Know you said you didn’t want to spend much money. But it may be better off than trying to mess around with modifying rollers, which could put more strain on them and risk breaking them.

sl2000

Nothing to add on the resistance, but…

I’ve still to fit a proper trainer tyre

…this isn’t necessary on rollers.

Trimix
    Free Member

Lift the front up a bit so its like riding uphill 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Adding a drive belt to Tacx rollers – any extra resistance?’ is closed to new replies.