Home Forums News 9 Creature Comforts To Make Winter Riding Better

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 9 Creature Comforts To Make Winter Riding Better
  • amandawishart

I hate to be the one to say it, but winter is approaching. And in the time it took me to type that, it’s probably arrived. But let’s not see this as a …

By amandawishart

Get the full story here:

https://singletrackworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/9-creature-comforts-to-make-winter-riding-better/

Esme
    Free Member

Josie Dew (famous cycle explorer) once suggested that a bike poncho makes a great portaloo for women travellers. No doubt these changing robes could serve the same function . . .

robertajobb

I’ve had a Dryrobe (the waterproof one) for 3 or 4 years now. Great bit if kit. Dont leave home (when the weather is pants) without it.
    I use it a lot for before and after open water swimming too. I’m pretty tall and its still ok for getting changed in – the arm holes / sleeves are well sized to allow you to get arms inside / outside without problem and without dislocating a shoulder.

I’ve not tried it as a portaloo however.

scc999

Been meaning to get a changing robe for ages. Finally ordered one now as the last couple of rides ended with me being pretty wet so needing to get changed in a busy carpark!
    Another thing I’d add to the list is a piece of karrimat or similar to stand on whilst getting changed.
    An Ikea bag or supermarket bag for life is great for chucking wet kit in and costs not a lot.
    Jetboil and an aeorpress / supply of teabags / hot chocolate is worth packing if a cafe visit isn’t on the cards too.

Anyone else got any essentials not on the list?

Northwind

TBH I can’t see how you beat a totally standard doormat for standing on and changing.

Matt_SS_xc

Campervan for hot lunch
    Eberspacher heater in campervan for drying yourself and shoes

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

for me it has to be a 40Litre tub in winter, fits muddy cloths shoes, helmet and bag,,
    https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-trug-duck-egg-40l/p/0414871
    and a rubber matt

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Love my Booicore. Bought mine of that wonderful Ed Oxley chap in a car park many years ago. I received much ridicule from others including Mrs Wachowchow. None of which had found themselves B… naked in a car park before I guess. Anyway, many years on I still use it regularly, when I can wrestle it of Mrs W that is.

DezB
    Free Member

Oh my, how can I get hold of Dry Sure shoe dryers before I leave work??? NEED!

mick_r

Even cheaper there is a £16 towel poncho thing from Decathlon.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

is that shoe bag a joke.. £39,

and the shoe dryer, i’ve always used newspaper balls scrunched into the toe since my days in the gelpac snappies sunday junior football league with my footy boots, an overnight under the radiator, next day take out the wet paper, (reapply is neccesary) but usually leave them for another day and they are dry.

richmtb

I need one of those changing robes in my life. It got to be better than hiding behind the car door

joemmo
    Free Member

“Jetboil and an aeorpress / supply of teabags / hot chocolate is worth packing if a cafe visit isn’t on the cards too.”

Or a thermos.

zerofour
    Free Member

+1 for stuffing your shoes with newspaper.

augustuswindsock

20 quid for a polythene bag???
    Do people actually buy this kind of stuff, cos if they do I’m packing my job in and going into business!

EccentricEllis

@augustuswindsock – I think it’s actually Polyethylene. ;)

puddings
    Free Member

Although clothing and probably outside the spirit of this article, over knee sealskin socks were my big discovery last winter – having perviously tried the short version and not seen what the fuss was about, the knee length are in a whole different league – a pair of merino socks underneath for added warmth and no bother about whether your 5 10s have dried from the wet day before. Get back to the car, whip them off to reveal clean dry legs. Just remember to dry them inside out

rupertwolfman
    Free Member

It is interesting to read your blog post and I am going to share it with my friends.republic

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘9 Creature Comforts To Make Winter Riding Better’ is closed to new replies.