Home Forums Chat Forum 502 UPDATE: Monday 8th July

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 502 UPDATE: Monday 8th July
    Mark

Morning!

We have a lot to do. The indexing over the weekend went well. before installing that we are going to work on fixing some of the obvious bugs. Starting with memberships – Some of you are experiencing glitches in your account status dropping from full member to free member. You are our priority first thing today.

Thanks for the reports on the STW issues thread.

Here’s how we are dealing with those.

They all get copied into a document of reported bugs. From there I personally copy them to another document and put them in what I consider to be priority order. It’s this list that Andy and Anthony are working from. My criteria for priority is not simple. It depends on the issue and how it affects our operation. Financial considerations come into it but UX and especially UX for our full members is my general priority.

As ever, I’ll keep you updated.

Cheers
    Mark

goldfish24

Mark, on his doorstep this morning

This will take a while.

But have no doubt that the work of change begins – immediately.

Have no doubt – that we will rebuild singletrackworld

scotroutes

Are we giving him 5 more years?

ossify

What! You mean the emojis are not top priority?!

;)

Good luck and glad it’s gone well so far :)

lorax

Thanks Mark, good luck with all this.

Cougar

What they said.  Good luck.

Mark

We think we have sorted everyone’s membership levels now. Seemed to result from a failed import of user roles from the old server.

:yahoo:    <- Oh and then there’s that

tjagain

I have emojis!!!!!!!!!!!  ~Wooohooo.  I am gonna go be like a hyperactive kiddy in a sweet shop.

B-) :-) :unsure: ;-) :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

tthew

Can you make those emoji’s not so synchronised please. It’d be nice if TJ’s ones did a Mexican wave. Thanks. #priorities.

ThePinkster

I love the new emoji options on desktop (not checked my phone yet as I’m at work  :whistle: ) you guys are doing excellent work and it all seems to be coming together great.

ThePinkster

Ooh, I like how it puts the page number in the tab on desktop now (in Edge, at least). Very useful in the UK Election thread as I keep losing my place.

desperatebicycle

We think we have sorted everyone’s membership levels now.

Mine still shows as free member. Which ain’t right and caused some absolute hilarity from Cougar when I posted on the “issues” thread.

ossify

What! You mean the emojis are not top priority?!

Oh and then there’s that

:good: :heart:

Drac

:good:

Old skool forum.

maccruiskeen

Old skool forum.

I’d genuinely rather have adverts. Emojis in posts is fine – have them dancing around a the bottom of the text box as you type is just grim

Ambrose

I too hate the animated emojis. I’m not a 13 year old. They are too distracting. It’s like a budget version of Ling’s cars.

https://www.lingscars.com/

Mark

Anthony is off today on childcare duties. Both Anthony and Andy are back tomorrow. I’m here today but my tech level is a lot lower than theirs :-). I can help with account issues, login stuff, so if that’s a problem for you then contact me direct on mark@singletrackworld.com and I’ll do my best.

The Smilies are the default setting for a new plugin. We can swap them out for nicer images (that don’t jiggle). That will take a bit of creativity on our part but we will change them for a smaller selection of subtle smilies soon :-)

On a technical note and for those web tech experts out there who are interested in this stuff, the site is currently running with no page caching. That’s not intentional, it’s just the stage we are at. Once page caching is running page refreshes and moving from page to page will become very smooth. At the moment it’s a bit jiggly (technical term) when pages load because all the assets are being dragged directly out of the database rather than cache. But still, on the old server if we’d turned off page caching the entire site would quickly grind to a halt. Just thought I’d mention that as it demonstrates the power of the engine we now have under us :-)

nixie

When you do get to updating the emoji icons the current ones look crap in dark mode as they do not have proper transparency.

Mark

Gotcha

blokeuptheroad

The Smilies are the default setting for a new plugin. We can swap them out for nicer images (that don’t jiggle). That will take a bit of creativity on our part but we will change them for a smaller selection of subtle smilies soon

Creating bespoke images sounds like extra work you could do without? Couldn’t we just be given back the ability to use the standard emojis everyone has access to on phones etc. which we had before the upgrade?

nixie

?

Tom-B
    Free Member

Am I missing something….why do we have random emojis akin to the internet 2 decades ago, and not just the ability to use a standard smiley from a phone keyboard as per everywhere else on the internet for at least the last 10 years?

desperatebicycle

Am I missing something

Yep, a thread about it and a bunch of other posts

Mark

The emojis you see are a stand in as we have discovered that standard emojis are not active on wordpress VIP by default. I’m sure that can be sorted but it’s not at the top of the list right now – ergo these odd 90’s throwbacks that we quickly installed as a stopgap. If we can get the standard issue ones back we will but if not we’ll make these ones better.

Cougar

Weirdly, it seems to convert old-school smilies into emoji. :-)

[EDIT: I thought it did, it now converts to the animated ones.]

martinhutch

We think we have sorted everyone’s membership levels now.

Not quite, I fear. I did email you as requested over the weekend.

martinhutch

I’m now down as a full member on my profile, but a free member on the forums. And getting loads of lovely ads, obviously. Do you need me to email you again?

timbur
    Free Member

Will I be allowed to post in the classifieds soon?  Still saying I’m not logged in when I am.  Facebook market place isn’t an entertaining place to go shopping for spares!

Thanks

Tim

filks

Hi

My access to members only stuff is also not working although I think you did temporarily fix it after I emailed you directly as requested. Do I need to directly email again?

Thanks

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.