Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 184 total)
  • 4 x 4 f*+ckwits
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You had a white one before?!!! Or was it you were contemplating a white un originally?

I considered the white and decided it looked like a tampon.

Does that mean it's faster?

Ohh yes. But not in this weather where it is useless +1 (not because it is red though, just because it is useless and even when I switch off the electronic stuff it tries to take over my life). Great for the rest of the year though :mrgreen:

hora
    Free Member

Spongebob – find a friendly lorry driver & spend a day in their cab to enlighten yourself as to other drivers inconsiderate habits

I tend to agree- we all see the odd 'TORA TORA TORA' driver coming down off the sliproad and slicing onto the carriageway past the trucks in the slow lane etc. The Truckdrivers however must experience this multiple times a day and have to watch their mirrors and cover their brakes just incase I bet.

coffeeking
    Free Member

however 70mph in a big truck in freezing temperatures on such a road is just riddiculous and illegal!

And completely impossible I'd have thought, aren't they meant to be limited to 60 physically?

jd-boy
    Free Member

Its -10c in Texas USA at the momment.

KT1973
    Free Member

llamafarmer – Member

KT1973 – Member

the extra security of having 2 ton of steel around you

Not so comforting for the mum on the school run in her Vauxhall Corsa though is it? It's like a pointless arms race – the only way you can be safe in a crash with a 4×4 is to have one yourself.

Posted 11 hours ago # Report-Post

That's true and I've considered this often but you have to look after your own first and I want to give them the best chance possible. Do you remember the story about that pissed up footballer who crashed his Range Rover into a family car and killed their 2 sons. Absolutely tragic and I don't think I could deal with that. There are some situations that will be completely outwith your control but you do what you can. I was never a fan of the things before and it took me a while to convince the mrs but she loves it now and it gives me some peace of mind, whether that added protection be perceived or real.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I've recruited another **** to the cause. He never saw the point of a 4×4. An hour cross country in mine today and he's buying one at the weekend. He couldn't believe what it was capable of.

kennyp
    Free Member

I used to feel the same about 4×4's until I had kids myself, so it's mainly for the wife to use

What happens though when your wife gets distracted by the kids and your huge 4×4 goes crashing through the back of some other smaller car killing or maiming their kids? Yes, yours are fine, but at the cost of ruining another family's lives.

5thElefant
    Free Member

What happens though when your wife gets distracted by the kids and your huge 4×4 goes crashing through the back of some other smaller car killing or maiming their kids? Yes, yours are fine, but at the cost of ruining another family's lives.

His kids will be fine. The people who don't care enough about their kids to use a 4×4 lose. Can't argue with that can you?

kennyp
    Free Member

The people who don't care enough about their kids to use a 4×4 lose.

Please, please tell me that was a joke.

kennyp
    Free Member

but you have to look after your own first

Presumably you also think we should stop sending money to Africa? Or you'd be happy for a school 100 miles away to close if it meant more money for the one your kids go to?

I feel very sorry for your kids if they are being brought up with such totally selfish attitudes being presented to them as normal.

kennyp
    Free Member

Very good question. I have alot of family (including my Mum who is getting older) in various parts of Huddersfield in the sticks. Over two winters its proved invaluable for getting around and to see various family.

I've never been to Huddersfield, so maybe you could enlighten me. Is it some tiny little hamlet cut-off from main roads? Does it suffer from endless weeks of snow and ice keeping folk trapped in their houses? Are the roads (sorry, tracks I presume) in such a poor state of repair that normal cars are unusable?

If a 4×4 is invaluable in Huddersfield, are there any 2wd Huddersfieldians on here who have had big problems getting around the last couple of years?

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Bloke in the Ranger Rover that ploughed in the back of the car killing 2 – was drunk, had taken drug, was on the phone and reputably committing a sexual act whilst driving at over 100mph – using that incident as an exemplar of how safe 4×4 are speaks volumes about the sort of people who drive such vehicles
    As I recall they tend to do very badly in the ENCAP rating for both passenger and pedestrian safety
    Farms & grouse moors are the best place for them

emac65
    Free Member

Far too many tree hugger types on this forum these days…..

Olly
    Free Member

KT1973 – Member

the extra security of having 2 ton of steel around you

Not so comforting for the mum on the school run in her Vauxhall Corsa though is it? It's like a pointless arms race – the only way you can be safe in a crash with a 4×4 is to have one yourself.

3L engine block at head height is nothing less than dangerously antisocial.

FWIW, if you are involved in a head on collision in a big 4×4, with a smaller car, the engine of the smaller car is quite commonly forced under the big cars engine, lifting it into the driver compartment, and forcing the clutch pedal into the drivers legs/crotch.

no mercy for the small car though, theyre still just as dead.

KT1973
    Free Member

What happens though when your wife gets distracted by the kids and your huge 4×4 goes crashing through the back of some other smaller car killing or maiming their kids? Yes, yours are fine, but at the cost of ruining another family's lives

That's extremely unlikely. They're strapped in and can't get out and if this happened in any other car the damage could be just as bad. Daft statement really.

but you have to look after your own first

Presumably you also think we should stop sending money to Africa? Or you'd be happy for a school 100 miles away to close if it meant more money for the one your kids go to?

Not the best analogy there either. If it was between giving food to my kids OR giving it to some africans I'd give it to mine. Africa needs stable uncorrupted government, education, better infrastructure and rubber jonnies but that is another can of worms altogether…..and there's no need to feel sorry for my kids. They are being brought up very well with good moral values thankyou very much.

KT1973
    Free Member

breakneckspeed – Member
    Bloke in the Ranger Rover that ploughed in the back of the car killing 2 – was drunk, had taken drug, was on the phone and reputably committing a sexual act whilst driving at over 100mph – using that incident as an exemplar of how safe 4×4 are speaks volumes about the sort of people who drive such vehicles
    As I recall they tend to do very badly in the ENCAP rating for both passenger and pedestrian safety
    Farms & grouse moors are the best place for them

You're taking what I said out of context here. I'm not using this as an advert for 4×4 safety. I was completely shocked when I heard this. That family have been devastated. It's one of the things that made me think "what if it happened to me?" so under the circumstances I decided it would be safer to have this type of car to protect my family. We don't drive around drunk in it with reckless abandon safe in the knowledge that it's indestructable and we could never be hurt. It's not a battering ram, it's just a car.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Exactly my point – it just a car – it is no safer then any other and in certain situations can be more dangerous to both the occupants and those outside of it.
    I have no axe to grind with people who genuinely and regularly use four wheel drive eg farmers

kennyp
    Free Member

That's extremely unlikely. They're strapped in and can't get out and if this happened in any other car the damage could be just as bad. Daft statement really.

Not that unlikely. I've seen umpteen examples of women on the school run turning round to shout at kids in the backseat (in all types of car to be fair). There's got to be a good chance that a small percentage of them will at some point run into the back of another car, and in that case the damage is far more likely to be greater in a 4×4 for the simple reason they are so much heavier. So not a daft statement at all I'd suggest. No-one is suggesting the safety of your family shouldn't be a priority, the problem is many 4×4 drivers are quite willing to risk other families being destroyed to protect their own.

kennyp
    Free Member

I've recruited another **** to the cause. He never saw the point of a 4×4. An hour cross country in mine today and he's buying one at the weekend. He couldn't believe what it was capable of.

So when do you actually need, and I do mean "need" to go off-road? As far as I understand all that hour you spent off-road will have achieved is to destroy some countryside. And yes, I do realise you can accuse mountain bikers, and indeed walkers, of doing the same, but not to anywhere even close to the same level.

JonBurns
    Free Member

To be fair I'm from near Huddersfield and have driven a 2WD car around that area during a snowy period a few years ago and yes it was complete arse so I can see why a person would go for a 4×4 over there (small roads and lumpy terrain). Sure a 2WD is ok but I can see a 4×4 being much easier.

I went out to buy a new shape Mondeo estate as my next car, it's huge on the outside but inside the front seats felt really cramped and although the boot was big it didn't seem that wide and was pretty low so stooping to put bikes in and out I figured could give a few back problems.

We then had a look at an X-trail and the space inside was amazing considering it's not that big'a car. Front was nice, spacious and really comfy.

I also go off road a fair bit (I live in the country). It's a great car (sorry).

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I think some of the posters have confirmed the OP's point

Gary_C

Imagine driving round in this 4×4…..

kennyp
    Free Member

My point about Huddersfield (and okay, I was being cheeky) was to do with the statement "Over two winters its proved invaluable for getting around and to see various family".

If we assume winter to be 3 months, let's say 90 days, that's 180 days in two years. On how many of those days has it been necessary for the average person in Huddersfield to have a 4×4 (the poster used the word "invaluable") to get about to visit family?

I've looked inside a few 4x4s and to be honest I don't see that they are really any more spacious than a decent sized family estate. And in a lot of them the luggage carrying capacity is pretty poor. I have a Mazda 6 saloon that can take two full sized mountain bikes inside with the wheels still on and also a load of kit bags.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Perhaps a balanced viewpoint from me (unusually?).

I had to have an Isuzu Trooper (commercial) with M+S tyres for my work in pretty nasty conditions. I did almost 100k in it and in retrospect had a love hate relationship with it.

The good (as others have mentioned) was that it's great to get going in poor conditions – except in reverse when some clever freehub thing disengaged the 4wd. And the higher viewpoint. And the loadspace. And towing trailers.

The bad is that it took longer to stop in all conditions (heavier, higher centre of gravity) than a normal car. The high c.o.g. also meant that it cornered worse than a normal car. And the insurance. And the fuel bill. And the depreciation. And the tyre wear. And servicing.

On balance I found that I felt it was more dangerous to occupants (me) than a car due to the increased risk of accident in 'normal' conditions. I think I drove accordingly. Some 4×4 drivers are undoubtably idiots. As are some 2wd drivers, but their cars arent so heavy / tall so other road users dont get so nervous.

Unless I need to do serious off roading again I'd not get another 4×4. M+S (or proper winter) tyres rock though.

hodge

That's why God invented tarmac so that 4×4's wouldn't be needed 99.9% of the time!

5thElefant
    Free Member

That's why God invented tarmac so that 4×4's wouldn't be needed 99.9% of the time!

You don't need a cock 99% of the time. You'd miss it though.

Olly
    Free Member

i need that!

Gary_C

i need that!

Looks better in
    ACTION

rs
    Free Member

You don't need a cock 99% of the time. You'd miss it though.

And its been argued that only cocks have 4×4's therefore if you have a cock you must need a 4×4 🙂 I have both 😀

kennyp
    Free Member

couldashouldawoulda…………probably the most balanced thing I've read on this whole thread so far.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

4x4s ace everyone should have one. 🙂
    Those who moan about them probabley shite drivers anyway, or were bullied at school by bigger kids and are still having flash backs. 😕
    Probably the same peeps that get in the way on single tracks at trail centres.

RustyNissanPrairie

I once ran over a little fluffy bunny in my Landrover, will I still goto heaven?

aracer
    Free Member

Can somebody just explain to me exactly why 4x4s are so invaluable for getting around in when conditions are like this? I've not got stuck in my 2WD, have got up and down steepish hills which other people seem to think are impassable, and have sat behind 4x4s going slower than I'd be happy with a couple of times. What's more I regularly park in fields and drive along forest roads to get to events (far more off-roading than the average 4×4), and the only time I've ever got stuck even the 4x4s needed a tractor to pull them out.

The thing is it's quite clear to me that at least round here you don't need a 4×4 even during extreme weather (yes we have had snow, and yes we have lots of untreated back lanes I'm using and plenty of hills), so when do you need one exactly?

RustyNissanPrairie

The thing is it's quite clear to me that at least round here you don't need a 4×4 even during extreme weather (yes we have had snow, and yes we have lots of untreated back lanes I'm using and plenty of hills), so when do you need one exactly?

…..for when you want to drive to Capetown. Try that in a 2wd. My bunny killer weighs in at just over 3.5ton in full expedition spec.

Euro
    Free Member

spanishbarry – Member

I love my 4×4

Yup, i love yours too.

martinxyz
    Free Member

"mrmichaelwright – Member
    i've had the opposite, driving over the snake pass before christmas i was constantly held up by timid drivers in 4x4s driving too slowly.

in a 2wd car they need to understand that momentum is my friend and when they stop on an uphill corner or mince downhill i'm going to get stuck or smash into the back of them"

So why not keep yer distance and learn to control a car downhill without even going near the brakes? you should be able to take a car down from 70mph-5mph or thereabouts without braking in the snow.

go out and have a play around with throttle blipping until you get it so smooth folk hardly know yer changing gear.

shorts_in_winter
    Free Member

I reckon my Lancruiser (Prado over here) is pretty essential. The bloody great bull bar on the front is pretty useful for deflecting the wildlife when i'm out bush for work, and by wildlife read Emu's, FO big Kangaroos and cattle… It's also useful to have a 2000km fuel tank when is 2 hours+ between towns and there is no guarantee that the servo will be open when you get there.

Also handy for trips onto the beach and general hooning around on dirt roads in the hills :)… not much snow here mind you!

The new beast!

flickr doesn`t want to play!

…although the boot was big it didn't seem that wide and was pretty low so stooping to put bikes in and out I figured could give a few back problems.

If lifting a 15kg mountain bike in and out of the boot of a car is likely to give you back problems, are you sure mountain biking is the right sport for you ?

hora
    Free Member

Huddersfield? There are a few 2nd gear climbs.. but Sod the snow etc- the car just feels 'better' with four wheels powered. If I couldnt have 4 wheel drive I'd have rear wheel drive if I had to chose.

In general I wish folk would get off your silly 'we hate 4x4s' agenda.

2wd cars are fine- the same car with 4wd would be even better.

grantway
    Free Member

Another way to help traction would be to pull away in 2nd gear rather than 1st.
    Also put a couple of bags of sand in the boot to give better traction on the rear wheels plus help the rear from sliding out.
    May also help if you turn off the traction mode in BMW cars as
    this seems to have the complete opposite effect.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 184 total)

The topic ‘4 x 4 f*+ckwits’ is closed to new replies.