Viewing 24 posts - 161 through 184 (of 184 total)
  • 4 x 4 f*+ckwits
  • hora
    Free Member

Ps. I think we are talking about 'different' 4×4's

I'm all for four wheel drive over 2wd. I am suspect of cars like Tourags etc as they become a 'statement' rather than substance.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What is the 'statement' in driving a Toureg over a Corsa or an Aston or a Healy? This thread has descended into idiocy.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

What worries me is some people watch footage of offroaders in 4×4's then think that their roadgoing 4×4 with low profile virtually treadless tyres is going to be as capable – talking about a couple of people I know and I'm sure there's more out there.

'I'll be ok going to XXXXXX cos I've got 4wd' comment made me chuckle this week when she couldn't get up the road outside our office when the Mondeo in front did.

Edit – And I like 4×4's.

DA_DOOD–lulz
    Free Member

This thread has descended into idiocy.

In fairness, it didn't exactly start on the highest intellectual plane.

aracer
    Free Member

2wd cars are fine- the same car with 4wd would be even better.

Apart from being heavier, burning more fuel and not actually providing any discernable advantage.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Another way to help traction would be to pull away in 2nd gear rather than 1st.
    Also put a couple of bags of sand in the boot to give better traction on the rear wheels plus help the rear from sliding out.
    May also help if you turn off the traction mode in BMW cars as
    this seems to have the complete opposite effect.

I saw two children sitting on the bonnet of a van, bouncing up and down to get it up a hill the other day. They'd never had more fun by the look of it. Not convenient if part of the journey includes motorway I guess.

chalkstorm
    Free Member

Dickyboy – Member
    Spongebob – find a friendly lorry driver & spend a day in their cab to enlighten yourself as to other drivers inconsiderate habits

Agreed.
    Ex trucker here – now running a fleet of 60 odd. Some d1cks give the industry a bad name, but on the whole, considerate.

Lest
    Free Member

My favourite's are the X5's with 1 foot wide low profiles doing 80 in the fast lane that still has lying snow on it.

The trouble with the big "sport" 4×4's is they create a completely false comfort zone for the driver.

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

stumpyjon

There are actually some fairly sensible posts on here. Not all 4 x 4s are equal. I've got a Honda CR-V and am very aware of it's limitations. It even says in the handbook it's not designed for off-road driving. It is however great in the current conditions where 2wd drive cars with normal tyres are struggling. It's been getting up snowy and icey hills no problem. However I am very aware I still need to keep the speed right down on hard pack snow bcause it's still easy to spin and going down steep hills usually involves braking before reaching the top of the hill and then dropping the gears to let the engine control the descent.

As has been said before it's down to the driver.

The CR-V has been a very good second car to our other one (a Touran) which is very fuel efficient but rubbish in the snow.

hora
    Free Member

Ex trucker here – now running a fleet of 60 odd. Some d1cks give the industry a bad name, but on the whole, considerate.

Personal experience here but on a whole company livered-trucks tend to be more professional. Whereas I have seen some interesting 'bullying' or quick lane changes from company names I dont recognise (possibly one man bands/independent Hauliers?).

singletrackmind

Mate with a expedition equipped Landcruiser towed a 7.5 ton lorry up a small hill, overtaking a Knobber in a BMW X5. The said Knobber was scrabbling about sideways with virtually no forward progress , whilst Ian pulled the TNT lorry past.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

"2wd cars are fine- the same car with 4wd would be even better.

Apart from being heavier, burning more fuel and not actually providing any discernable advantage. "

Sorry but I disagree.
    I have an old quattro and it's far better. It handles better, drives better, gets the power down better and I use it for towing the mx bikes and a small trailer.
    It's been fantastic in this weather too. Although I only use it when I absolutely need too as my main concern is the mass of idiots who don't have a clue how to drive in this weather and carry on like it's a normal day. I don't want to get caught up in an incident so I'll get the bus or an alternative if possible…

JonBurns
    Free Member

…although the boot was big it didn't seem that wide and was pretty low so stooping to put bikes in and out I figured could give a few back problems.

If lifting a 15kg mountain bike in and out of the boot of a car is likely to give you back problems, are you sure mountain biking is the right sport for you ?

Nice one smart arse! it's not the weight going into the car that the problem it's the awkward stoop, twist and stretch that could cause a problem. I'm yet to replicate that on a mountain or road bike.

bassspine
    Free Member

JonBHurns: I'm with you on that, I was off work for a week when my back twanged, I was lifting a Roubaix into a customer's car. (That doesn't weigh much) It was entirely the awkward leaning and twisting in through the boot lid that did it.

naedeyw
    Free Member

I've read through this thread and there are some valid points made for & against 4wd + 2wd vehicles. There is a lot of trolling too. What amazes me though is that some people do get really wound up about what other people drive.

Now, I've been driving a lot of years and what someone else is driving hasn't really concerned me. I like the look of some vehicles, I'm impressed by the performance of some, I've lusted after some that have been beyond my means but I really cannot understand why some people are so vehemently and aggressively opposed to what others drive. Why? I thought I was moderately intelligent but where does this need to tell others what they should or shouldn't be driving come from? It's a metal box with a wheel at each corner and the civilised world appears to be totally dependant on it such that most families have more than one and that towns, shopping, industry, etc. are designed around its use and we can't seem to manage without them.

I can understand the argument that we shouldn't be so dependant on them and so on but why are we so concerned about what everyone else is driving and feel the need to refer to people as f*+ckwits because they choose something different and why do we feel the need to ask them to justify why they need something different to our own choice?

BobaFatt
    Free Member

can't believe this thread is still going, also can't believe people get so wound up over what people are driving

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is it because they DONT need it -it is a choice as other vehicles are available? The vehicle is less efficient on fuel,is useless in the snow , useless off road whilst making the driver feel safe enough to drive like a ****t as there 4 ton urban tank will crush you in a crash? 😆

hora
    Free Member

Over 10million new cars were sold in China in 2009. If anyone cares to bang on about mpg etc on any particular car your pissing in the wind.

We can be good as you want, grow our own fruit. Be (makes comma sign with fingers) 'Carbon neutral', ride public transport….

Doesnt mean **** all though in the grand scheme.

Aye- drive what you want. Lost count on how many times Ive seen a diesel estate or whatever with mountain bikes ontop racing towards Wales, Scotland or the Lakes. Never seen a X5 or Range Rover loaded with mountain bikes driven in the same way.

BTW- I wouldnt go near a X5 etc (just not my cup of tea and I cant afford one anyway!)

aracer
    Free Member

I saw two children sitting on the bonnet of a van, bouncing up and down to get it up a hill the other day. They'd never had more fun by the look of it.

That reminds me of travelling to school (strangely still open despite having a very large catchment area with most kids being bussed in) in what was presumably the last time we had weather a bit like this if that was 30 years ago. To get up one hill all of us went to the back of the bus and jumped up and down – it worked!

zaskar
    Free Member

Wish I had 4×4 but even so everyone was driving at 20mph anyway and on your bumper typiically.

I never used 1st gear today-pulled away in 2nd and watched people wheel spinning.

HansRey

as a country bumpkin, 4×4 are pretty essential. Further more, having a decent one with a decent engine such as the defender we have atm is worthwhile… why?

1) used as a supply vehicle for the regular moor fires
    2) used in a logging business
    3) just about the only type of vehicle capable of launching a boat at the local 'free' slipway
    4) diff lock and good driving skills get it out of snow, to drag/ winch you environmental wallies out of snow drifts, ditches, etc so that you can get to your internet-connecting device (presumably a blackberry)
    5) it's made of scaffolding and sheet steel. Very little hydroforming operations, or niche coatings, or exotic materials here! So, manufacture is not half as environmentally harmful as your modern estates, hatchbacks, etc. It may produce more CO2/NOX/SO2 from combustion BUT simple manufacture means that less cyanates, cyanides, bromides/ bromates, lead compounds, Al- compounds and many more are released.

How's that?

RustyNissanPrairie

as a country bumpkin, 4×4 are pretty essential. Further more, having a decent one with a decent engine such as the defender we have atm is worthwhile… why?

5) it's made of scaffolding and sheet steel. Very little hydroforming operations, or niche coatings, or exotic materials here! So, manufacture is not half as environmentally harmful as your modern estates, hatchbacks, etc. It may produce more CO2/NOX/SO2 from combustion BUT simple manufacture means that less cyanates, cyanides, bromides/ bromates, lead compounds, Al- compounds and many more are released.

…..and it'll still be around in 50 years time, whereas most ecomental 'disposable' cars need replacing every 7-9years.

HansRey

amen brother. The biggest change we can make is to shed our consumer society. Oh, and get some cheap, renewable energy sources to tempt china/india/africa/USA/brazil away from oil and coal. Nuclear fission?

Viewing 24 posts - 161 through 184 (of 184 total)

The topic ‘4 x 4 f*+ckwits’ is closed to new replies.