Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 184 total)
  • 4 x 4 f*+ckwits
  • dickydutch

Haha. I love the negativity directed at 4×4 drivers. I drive a defender. And dont give a toss what other people have to say about it. I certainly don't drive round for 51 weeks of the year in a state of enhanced self consciousness!
    People think they're unnecessary – which may be the case. But, half the bikes on here I'd wager are unnecessary. You can do 99% of riding in this country on a rigid mountain bike?! Who cares what you ride/drive?!

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

A 4×4 with a owners 4×4 mentality tends to have winter tyres in winter.

The problem being in my experience, those with said mentality among 4×4 owners are as rare as rocking horse sh*t, certainly in rural areas. A significant amount of them have probably posted here already.

In rural areas like mid Wales the opposite is true though. I've only found one "typical" 4×4 driver (a school run mum who nearly ran me over on a roundabout despite me having priority.

Another issue is that several 4x4s (I'm thinking more the Chelsea tractor rather than Land rovers and Defenders) can't fit non-road tyres because the wheel arches are too small, but if you go for a smaller wheel the brake caliper gets in the way. Top Gear had a porsche thingy on a year or two ago with this problem.

Someone also mentioned snow chains like the Austrians have. Whilst I think this would be great there are two problems with this:
    1. They cost an arm and a leg; problems like now happen once in a blue moon
    2. If you aren't on the snow, they eat your tyres (you might as well set fire to £400, probably be less hassle)

Note: I don't hate 4x4s, I secretly want a defender. It's the idiot behind the wheel I always have a problem with, regardless of what they drive. It just seems to me that some of the worst offenders drive Chelsea tractors or land rovers in an urban area, with the only dirt they ever see being road dust.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Hora – check this vid out

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hora
    Free Member

That Porsche thing was born wrong. Answers on a postcard what the designers wanted/were thinking.

Ranger Rovers- yes. Theres STILL one sat on Deansgate in central Manchester. Im guessing the owner is slumped in the car surrounded by a sea of cocaine.

stumpy01

hora – yeah, not always driving on fresh snow, but when I had to I don't recall there ever being any drama.

We used to go to night school once a week in the largest nearby town about a 25min drive away. Several times it would be snowing heavily and by the time we came to drive back there were at least a couple of inches of snow on the roads. We never had any issue getting back, even though the road had quite a few significant hills on it.

The best pub in the town was also up a fairly long hill. This was generally clear lower down near the residential end of the street, but towards the pub was often snowy. On several occasions we'd drive the car up there and leave it until the morning (and stagger home) with no bother.

If it was snow covered everywhere, then snow chains/spiked tyres would probably have been more effective, but generally the main roads stayed clear. It was usually in the evenings before the snow plough went through that the main road would be covered in snow.

tron
    Free Member

My girlfriend drives an old Golf, on half worn ordinary tyres, but they are all at least fairly new, so they're still pliable, and have normal tread patterns. Only thing you cannot do is a hill start on an icey slope. So you avoid doing it.

The most off roading I've ever done was in a 406 HDI, round fields and farm roads. Big wide low profile Goodyear F1s, worst possible tyre for off road. Never got stuck or bottomed it out because I looked where I was going and was careful not to stop where it would be difficult to set off again.

Last vehicle I got stuck was a John Deere 2130 when I was 12 or so.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I just don't see what all the fuss is about myself. I've driven all sorts of cars, from jacked up 4x4s with full lockers to little FWD hatches. All have their niche areas that they work best, decent 4x4s with the "proper" kit work brilliantly in the snow and ice, but I've yet to find anything I couldn't cope with perfectly well in my 306 estate so far this year, I really don't know what everyone is blathering on about as if the world is coming to an icy end. I've been up tiny hilly backroads in Luss with an indicated -15 on the dash and compacted snow/ice on the roads, I've beeen driving to work daily, I've driven through snow and ice in all kinds of cars and the only ones I ever even had the slightest "problem" dealing with in snow and ice was an automatic 3.5 litre RWD BMW, and even then it was only because I was a little over-enthusiastic. Drive to suit the conditions and you'll be fine. Sure, up the hilly backroads in stupidly low temps it wuold have been nice to have the extra traction of a 4×4 with M&S tyres, but ultimately it wasn't exactly impossible to drive. I do genuinely worry about the country when so many people can't cope with a little bad weather.

5thElefant
    Free Member

the only ones I ever even had the slightest "problem" dealing with in snow and ice was an automatic 3.5 litre RWD BMW

Had a manual one of those. It was a challenge in the snow.

I've got what folk like Hora would deem a "poser's" 4×4 (Audi Allroad) yet it's gotten me everywhere I've needed to go this week.

2WD owners driving too cautiously (i.e. on cleared roads as though there is still snow/ice on them) is just as frustrating and common place as 4WD owners driving like loons.

llamafarmer
    Free Member

2WD owners driving too cautiously (i.e. on cleared roads as though there is still snow/ice on them) is just as frustrating and common place as 4WD owners driving like loons.

And you know for sure there's no black ice around the corner on those recently cleared roads? Or a patch in a shady spot under a tree? It's still pretty chilly out there!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Can we get away from the 2wd/4wd arguments, it makes no sense, it's just people who have no ability to judge their cars ability or the road surface.

hora
    Free Member

Hmmm, I have been caught somewhat. I concede.

A couple of years ago I drove to Germany for NY's at friends. It was snowy/sub-zero but my Aygo coped. I put that down to me being sensible/cautious and relaxed though rather than 2wd/car being just as capable. 🙄

dialledmike- surely you dont have to drive all the way into central London for your supplies?:

http://www.sunglasshut.co.uk/StoreLocator/StoreLocator.aspx?CountryID=1&RegionID=21

antigee

llamafarmer saved me writing an answer

And you know for sure there's no black ice around the corner on those recently cleared roads? Or a patch in a shady spot under a tree? It's still pretty chilly out there!

cautious but not middle of road 4wd here – oh how i have laughed in past when let some fwit past that has been tailgating to see them spin off or hit a car at next junction

spanishbarry
    Free Member

I love my 4×4

cookeaa

I've left my Car Buried since Wednesday; Made it into work today totally fine using bike/train option, Why bother driving when 50% of those on the road are acting like Dicks?

Walked to the supermarket yesterday and had to help shift a goon in a Mondeo Who had managed to get cross rutted on a largely clear road, none of his passengers got out to help, and he needed telling 5 times to use 2nd and low Revs, and he'll be one of 1000's that go out with out a clue or a shovel…

Last Feb we had half as much snow and it took me 2.5Hrs to get 20 Miles to work by car, same frustraitions as everyone else has listed, just thought it's not worth it this time, I know I can drive in the snow I also know a fair few Can't but do still try.
    I'd rather have a working car once it's all thawed out, than half of it stuck to the bumper of someone's Focus and an Insurance claim to make…

jd-boy
    Free Member

I lived In Minnesota for a year as a student working in agriculture, we lived in -30 for several months, had to clear 3 foot of snow daily just so we could get the pigs out in the lots fed, had to put additive in petrol so it did not freeze, tractors had to be pluged in at night to sump heaters, run nipco heaters blowing on them to keep the oil warm, then let the tractors warm up for an hour before the oil was warm enough to use them, used snowmobile for work feeding the pigs, dressed in 2 sets of insulated overalls to stay warm, you had 20 mins to move the stem cleaner from one building to another or it would freeze, 20 mins to fill the slurry tanker get it to the field and empty it, or it was a 9 ton ice cube for god knows how long, young pigs (5 weeks) if the heaters went out you had an hour tops to get them going or they would Die
    So we are concerned about the little amount of snow we have got, Christ sake Just take it slow, dress up for the waether and get on with it. and all this 4×4 crap, we had 2 4×4 pickups but we rather us the Honda Estate car in the snow and ice as it was far more predictable as to what it would do, Plus the last thing you needed was to be stuck in a drift with snow rammed between the engine and fan and the not be able to run,with the Honda you were not tempted to run the drifts, and perish in the cold, one couple got stuck out in a whiteout one night, they ran the truck till it ran out of fuel, then started burning parts of the car to get some heat, they were found the next morning perished, they were 100 yrds from the local radio station, but the whiteout was so bad they or the people at the radio station could not see/here them.
    So come on, lets just deal with the weather,

mark_b
    Free Member

I love the 4×4 haters, here are a few good reasons why i drive a navara

1. i can go biking get the bike dirty as **** and chuck it straight in the back without worrying about getting car dirty

2. in the summer i go camping alot and get to leave most of gear in car all summer to just get in and go, not constantly packing and unpacking.

3. when the weather is shite like now I get to take the back lanes home and leave the main routes clear for all the 2wheel drivers(and still beat them there)

4 If your really knew what you were talking about you would realise my diesel navara is far more fuel efficient than most 2ltr rep mobiles so it actually does some good too

All i'm hearing from the 4×4 drivers is how they've justified them to themselves. I'm still waiting for someone to explain why they need them….

dickydutch

Why do you "need" suspension on your bike mark_b or "need" a mobile phone? We want a 4×4 because we like them. We've got a mobile phone because theyre handy. Suspension on the bike makes it a comfier ride. We dont have to "need" them?!

hels
    Free Member

To add my theory – some people (sorry but usually women) buy big 4x4s because they are terrible drivers and it helps to pad this out a bit. Put them in conditions where being able to drive is helpful and… the rubbish driving becomes much more obvious thus giving all owners of said vehicles a bad reputation.

zokes
    Free Member

wunundred 😀

5thElefant
    Free Member

Nothing like a bit of good old fashioned sexism. The above sounds like bollocks to me, but there is some psychology at play I'm sure. The high seating position and several tonnes of armour do give the ladies a feeling of security. And ladies do like that.*

*My knowledge of women is almost entirely based on R4 Woman's hour.

Fop
    Free Member

A friend owns an ancient Fiat Panda 4×4 worth all of about £2.50. Any reason why she would fall into the category of f*+ckwit or might that force you to re-evaluate your sweeping generalisation and realise that actually your problem is with bad drivers who have bigger cars or more money than you?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Some c0ckend coming towards me this morning in his Discovery (I drive a low sporty car) – snow on both sides of the road so effectively a single carriageway. I *assumed* that as he was driving a vehicle vastly superior in these conditions, that he would drive onto the snow so I could get by. But no – he just came at me so I though ufck it and sat there and waited for him to creep by in the tiny gap that was left.

No idea why it was a problem to him – I know I would have risked grounding and getting my car stuck and if he had an ounce of common sense he would have thought about that too.

Llamafarmer, if you'd driven the road I was referring to (A24 Dorking to Horsham), you would know what I mean and how clear it is. But thanks for the hypothetical/generic reply.

Fop
    Free Member

mark_b……would you care to enlighten us as to your make/model of motor car (if indeed you do own one)? We can then debate if you "need" it or could make do with something else.

hora
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion, you drive a white posh hairdresser car (joke). He probably couldnt see you as you were 'camouflaged'. 😆

Talking of sunglasses. Night before last in Huddersfield at twilight (5.00ish) I saw an Asian driver wearing black retro Rayban-SUNGLASSES. 😯

5thElefant
    Free Member

I'm still waiting for someone to explain why they need them….

Nobody needs one. You could get a run-around for short trips, an estate for picking stuff up, a trailer for taking stuff to the tip, a tractor for towing stuff off-road, a quad for shortcuts using byways (you'd need to tow it on a trailer I guess). Not sure what you'd use to go shooting. You can't really turn up on your tractor and the estate would get stuck. You coudl keep winter tyres and swap them over when you need them too.

Or you could just get one car that does all of the above. They annoy vegetarians too. Which is a bonus.

coffeeking
    Free Member

jd-boy – agreed.

A mate of mine was just saying that in his time in canada they only really started moaning when the snow reached half the height of the house.

Or you could just get one car that does all of the above. They annoy vegetarians too. Which is a bonus.

Or do what some of us do, get a normal car for general duties and a 4×4 for towing/offroading/snow etc, but not everyone has the luxury of space and the extra ~£400 a year in tax/insurance/MOT.

hora
    Free Member

I'm still waiting for someone to explain why they need them….

Very good question. I have alot of family (including my Mum who is getting older) in various parts of Huddersfield in the sticks. Over two winters its proved invaluable for getting around and to see various family. In total thats only circa 6 weeks however my car has also proved itself to be surefooted with alot of feedback in all situations. I see it as a variation on the mk2.5 MX5 interms of how it communicates and how it lets you know on grip and when it does let go its never a drama. In the dry going into a roundabout it pulls/sticks like glue and if you dont hook your arm under the armrest you can end up on the passenger seat 🙂

I've no idea what other 4×4's are like- I've only had this one and mine isnt a true offroader due to clearance but it does have a two-ratio box.

You could argue that we dont need powerful fast cars or high BHP/torque diesels either to a degree. Mines proved itself to be utterly ace and a Tonka toy 😀 I've been thinking what I want next and I still can't decide (and this is coming from the serial car owner)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

you drive a white posh hairdresser car

It's red actually (although mainly white this morning as it was the first time I have driven it since the snow hit Harrogate). 🙂

hora
    Free Member

You had a white one before?!!! Or was it you were contemplating a white un originally?

mark_b
    Free Member

Why do you "need" suspension on your bike mark_b or "need" a mobile phone? We want a 4×4 because we like them. We've got a mobile phone because theyre handy. Suspension on the bike makes it a comfier ride

True, but i don't feel the compulsion to try and justify having a suspended bike in the same way 4×4 drivers keep trotting out their excuses for having one.

Plus maybe my suspended bike actually gets ridden off road a lot more than their 4×4 gets to see dirt.

Apart from when i'm riding my rigid singlespeed of course 😀

Spongebob
    Free Member

Some will know how much I despise athe incompetent large percentage of 4×4 drivers, but there's one other category that makes them seem like good drivers. I am talking about a significant percentage of truck drivers. They have a misplaced belief that they have more of a right to be on our roads that anyone else and often bully and intimidate other road users. My experience is that they cause the majority of motorway accidents with their erratic and careless overtaking etc. Good truckers must be so frustrated at the idiots letting the side down. I by no means denigrate all truck drivers as some are highly professional. We need some sort of visible badging system for these guys to encourage the rest to aspire to their standards.

Yesterday, on a 110 mile stint, i was stuck behind one of these vehicles on a winding A road. It was 0c, but the salting on the road meant that the truck was throwing up lots of mucky spray imparing my visibility, meaning i had to constantly clear my windscreen. I could have hung back (which I often do when a vehicle is making reasonable and consistent progress), but the truck kept significantly altering it's speed for no apparent reason. None of this was particularly out of the ordinary, but what riled me was that he sped up considerably on all the sections where i had a chance of overtaking. Well I hear you say this is what any driver would do given that it is safe to increase your speed on a staight section, however 70mph in a big truck in freezing temperatures on such a road is just riddiculous and illegal! This was only when there weren't oncoming vehicles too.

Eventually i got past him and then on came his high beam because i had briefly sounded my horn as I'd passed him (in case he hadn't seen me). He then slowed back down on the straight section proving that he had been playing games with me and had put my safety at risk. Then, as a passing car approached he dipped his headlamps, but as it passed he put them back on! Utter idiot!

When we stopped at a set of lights in the next town, he pulled up sharp on my bumper. As we moved off, tailgated me.

ERRATIC STUPID FECKERS WITH SHORT FUSES SHOULD NOT BE PUT IN CONTROL OF SUCH LARGE HEAVY VEHICLES – PERIOD!

waynekerr
    Free Member

It's red actually

Does that mean it's faster? 😆

mark_b
    Free Member

Fop – Premier Member

mark_b……would you care to enlighten us as to your make/model of motor car (if indeed you do own one)? We can then debate if you "need" it or could make do with something else

Getting defensive – i like it. I drive an old estate. Do i need it – no. Do i appreciate the quality of life it gives me – yes. Does it give me an overwhelming sense of superiority – i don't need a car to do that for me 🙂

Fop
    Free Member

What exactly am I getting defensive about…my rear wheel drive 4-door, 5 year old saloon??? Don't think so.

I think you've just argued against yourself there mark_b…as you yourself say, most cars are not "needed", they just give people a "quality of life" which THEY appreciate. They don't need you to vindicate it. A brisk brush with your hand should remove that chip on your shoulder. I don't feel inferior to others just because they're sat a few feet higher than me when driving on the roads but hey, each to their own.

dickydutch

Fop – Agreed.
    But I also like my 4×4 as it seems to boil peoples p*iss like nothing else!
    I also have a 'normal' car – and I love that too.
    mark_b – My 4×4 gets used off road as well!

antigee

When we stopped at a set of lights in the next town, he pulled up sharp on my bumper

presumably the truck was still just behind because it was being driven so fast and erratically no one else managed to overtake it – proof indeed about how poor his driving was

hora
    Free Member

Anyone see the press ad for the BMW X5 yesterday? (it was in the times) and showed a X5 driving through snow (motion of speed) and the strap line that it had alot of electronic gizmos that would keep you going no matter what.

Dickyboy

Spongebob – find a friendly lorry driver & spend a day in their cab to enlighten yourself as to other drivers inconsiderate habits

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 184 total)

The topic ‘4 x 4 f*+ckwits’ is closed to new replies.