Home Forums Bike Forum 3d printed bike things you’ve made…

• This topic has 31 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by DrP.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • 3d printed bike things you’ve made…
    DrP

I’ve had a printer for several months, and just getting into basic onshape CAD stuff.

They’re actually ruddy fun and useful.

So far I’ve made:

Clips for my stand dart tubeless thing..

PXL_20240807_153534449

A top cap dial for a mate’s fox fork (he lost it)

PXL_20240814_144537608

A thing to hold forks in a vice

PXL_20240806_210649189.PORTRAIT

And the most useful… Tonnes of hooks for helmets and such (I downloaded these files).

PXL_20240728_111735677

What else can/should I design and print!

What have you lot made!

DrP

ogden
    Free Member

No, but I keep thinking about getting one. Which printer do you have?

ajantom

A bike light mount, a GPS mount, a chain pip, bottle cage mounts for different cage placement.

Useful things (though I bought one for use at school initially, it now lives at home).

I bought a DaVinci Jr. as they’re pretty much plug and play. I’d faffed around previously with school owned ones that needed constant calibration.

I’ve had it for 9 years now and it’s still working, which for a piece of tech is pretty good imo.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Sure i can make a new top cap for you, but the price will be high…

Bregante

Screenshot_20240824-191228

I’ve no idea what small batch 3D printing costs are but if somebody could make these for me at less than £15 each I would buy a fair few.

(Currently getting through a couple a week)

GeForceJunky

These are great little tools for tight tyres/inserts:

https://www.printables.com/model/38269-bead-buddy-for-bicycle-tire-installation

Otherwise most stuff I’ve done is prototype stuff, although my Exposure Joystick mount is working a treat.

ajantom

@Bregante – what even is it?

Cost is pretty minimal – a simple object using 10-15m of PLA filament will cost about 60p to £1 in materials and about 30-50p of electricity.

Print time might be anywhere from 1-5 hours depending on print quality.

DrP

It’s clearly a toothbrush head on a butt plug.

I’m printing 6 as we speak…

DrP

Bregante

@Bregante
    – what even is it?

Cost is pretty minimal – a simple object using 10-15m of PLA filament will cost about 60p to £1 in materials and about 30-50p of electricity.

Print time might be anywhere from 1-5 hours depending on print quality.

Yeah sorry it’s not bike related!!

It’s a stiff brush mounted to a threaded bottle top. I use it for applying protective coatings in my business but as mentioned, they wear out pretty quickly. My only UK supplier is charging over £20 a unit plus postage and they look remarkably similar to something I used to be able to get from eBay for a few quid.

diggery
    Free Member

I’ve made loads of things from tools to functional parts.

Bearing press, suspension tools, light brackets, spacers, pump holders, cable clips, shaft clamps and more. I’ve also made loads of bits for the house and DIY and a few van things too.

I started on an Ender 3 which was great to learn on. I’ll be posting my heavily tweaked one on classifieds soon.

I got a Bambu to replace it. They are so much faster, as well as very easy to use. I am going to print materials that need an enclosure so went for the p1s. They are closed source which may put some people off but the trade off was worth it for me. Very impressed.

chambord

I keep meaning to get one of these printed:

https://www.printables.com/model/156666-mud-guard-fender-for-cane-creek-helm

Because cane creek have discontinued the actual fender for the helm fork. Can anyone recommend anywhere to order from?

qwerty
    Free Member

Awaits the Atherton’s contribution to the thread….

bikesandboots

No printer but I ordered this design printed https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cage-lock-for-shimano-diy-3d-print/

Also brake caliper measuring tool to fit on a digital caliper, an articulating syringe holder for brake bleeding, and a fork axle stand to keep the adjuster knobs off the floor when the wheel’s out.

niel11
    Free Member

@chambord I was in the same boat as you about 12 months ago and managed to find the last official Cane Creek one available in Canada, I must have spent over £50 for that bit of plastic and a couple of bolts and they then decided to start manufacturing them again about 3 weeks later!

Keep an eye on the Cane Creek website, they seem to keep stop/starting manufacturing of them for some reason.

andeh

I keep meaning to get one of these printed

FWIW, I attempted to print that and wasn’t happy with the results. It was on a cheapo filament machine though, SLS will likely produce much better results…or even just a finer quality printer.

I suspected printing a mount and attaching to/adapting an existing fender might be a better solution

Just this morning I was thinking about how useful my own printer would be to do a cylindrical light (Lezyne Macro Duo) to GoPro mount adapter.

chambord

Keep an eye on the Cane Creek website, they seem to keep stop/starting manufacturing of them for some reason.

I was in touch with extra UK for months trying to get hold of one – apparently they were on order, until February they said they weren’t getting any because cane creek had discontinued the line. I do keep checking but having no luck. 3d printing one is likely to be a bit more than £50 as well

FWIW, I attempted to print that and wasn’t happy with the results.

Yeah the main reason I haven’t yet is I don’t believe it’ll turn out very good and it’s a lot of money to waste

ogden
    Free Member

@DrP which printer dop you use?

DrP

Oh, sorry1
    I’ve a creality ender 3 v3 SE.. they can be had for about £142 nowadays, which is quite frankly, a bargain!

They’re really good fun, and a pretty basic but workable printer TBH

DrP

willard

Yup, have a v2 model and it is perfectly good for most prototyping. I think the last thing I made was a pair of brackets to allow me to hang up my old Kampus wakeskate on the wall in the lounge.

I need to do some more designing for another project soon and have just flashed my printer with the latest community firmware. Apparently it has more tuning functions so is betterer.

tthew

Also brake caliper measuring tool to fit on a digital caliper,

I’m struggling to see the point of this when you could just use the jaws directly on the disk? (it appears to be a disk measurer, not a caliper measurer).

pdw
    Free Member

The jaws would normally just hit the lip that forms on the outer edge of the brake disc. This tool allows the calipers to reach around that lip.

Speeder

For the Cane Creek fender – surely it’s just a matter of making an adapter for one of the other universal fit ones rather than print the whole thing.  I can’t imagine that PLA would be the right material to make one from. Especially 3D printed.

Speeder

I’ve made some spring adapters so I could fit a Cane Creek spring to ,my Ohlins shock and a chain guide spacer because I got fed up of it spinning on the bodged washer setup.

simon_g

I bought a Bambu Lab A1 mini (it’s still at the sale price of £169 which is a bargain), after watching mates struggle with Enders and the like over the years it’s a revelation.

Been printing a lot of gridfinity baseplates and bins to organise stuff, things like drill holders so they can sit ready underneath the shelves, and various silly things for the kids.

tthew

The jaws would normally just hit the lip that forms on the outer edge of the brake disc. This tool allows the calipers to reach around that lip.

All the verniers I’ve ever seen have a reasonable rebate at the scale end of the jaws to avoid it – if you have a lip larger than that, you’d not need to measure it!

Granted you may have to angle the tool to get on the swept surface. And it would be good for car disk brakes with a larger lip. I think I’m talking myself into getting one here. :-) Can acutally see a 3D printer in my future as I’ve recently upgraded my workshop space.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Chambord,

I’m in the same boat as you. Keep trying to find a helm fender but no joy. Even messaged people selling  whole bikes with a helm and said fender fitted to see if they would part with it but no joy. I’ve looked a few times at the printed one but it looks like it slides under the arch and since I run 2.6s, it’s super tight there already.

John

Daffy

Topology optimised 3D printed Ti64 topcap:

I’ve also done a topography optimised bell end…yes, you read that right.  Bell dome for a Spur Bell in Inconel 718

A topology optimised Ti64 stem – replaced it with carbon,

The Ti dropouts for this:

https://bikerumor.com/charge-bikes-3d-printed-titanium-bike-parts-production-begins/

And some ScAlMalloy hub adaptors for a White Industries 130mm disk hub to make it fit a 135mmm frame.  Knurled and everything.

And saddle rails for this:

https://bikerumor.com/fabric-weaves-a-line-of-revolutionary-new-saddles-more/

Daffy

Not sure if this will work, but possibly a video of the topcaps being made:

Daffy

Apparently not.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

You want a business idea?

Have a look at silly goat climbing brushes.  Dont copy his brush, just make a new one of similar size etc.  My tip would be to add personalisation as well.  Now instead of making it cost nearly as much as the mega expensive brushes to re-bristle the brush (Pay postage x 2 plus £18 for bristles) which kind of defeats the entire business model of sustainability and money saving, make it like cartridge brake pads where you slide the worn one out and slide the new one in.  Sell the bristle kits for a decent mark up but make it affordable to keep coming back for replacements.

A regular user of these brushes wears out a set of bristles on a pretty regular basis which when you have a mega expensive brush makes paying the same again to re-bristle it a painful process.

DrP

PXL_20240831_211754435PXL_20240831_211811079PXL_20240831_211738315

Having switched the Tripster to AXS, I’m left with a few large holes in the frame…

First time printing with TPU (A more rubbery filament)…

Perfect fit to bung up the holes… Look great too!

DrP

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.