Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 338 total)
  • 27.5+ 2.8 tyres – anything with a sidewall not made of cheese?
  • rOcKeTdOg

Got a 2.8 rekon+ in my mk2 Solaris with adequate room

honourablegeorge

muggomagic – Member
    and an update from Maxxis

The Minion DHF is now available for dealers so it’s a case of calling round your local Maxxis stockists and reserving.

My daily search of online stores has come up blank again, nobody seems to be listing these yet.

muggomagic

I’ve asked my lbs to see if they can order them and find out pricing and delivery dates. Will post up when I hear back.

singlespeedstu

I’ve just had a reply from nextdaytyres about the DHF saying.

Not available yet and no eta from any UK distributor sorry

duff
    Free Member

So the concencus so far is Maxxis if you can afford it, otherwise wait for Specialized or more Maxxis? Seems a bit hit and miss with various other tyres?

I’ve just bought a plus bike with Rocket Rons and was going to swap them straight away as I’ve read reviews saying they puncture easily. I don’t really trust Snakeskin tyres after a 29er tyre punctured on its first ride on the SDW, although I’ve had the same experience with an Onza Canis and Purgatory Grid so maybe I’m just unlucky. Never punctured in the Surry Hills, just need something that’ll cope with Flint without falling apart.

muggomagic

Just heard back from my lbs and they say the same as nextdaytyres. I’ve messaged maxxis UK again and asked them what the score is, but I really don’t want to spend £230 on a pair of tyres so I’d rather wait and see what the prices are when they appear in the German stores. In the meantime I might go for the TCS tough WTB rangers or the schwalbe apex nobby nics.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

…just need something that’ll cope with Flint without falling apart.

Good luck with that! Like looking for butter that repels a hot knife. 😉

Been to LBS (Spesh dealer) – seems EO October is the due date for a lot of the plus-size Grid tyres.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Mike, the benefits of plus tires are that they give you the confidence to commit to your cornering and therefore able to work on technique with less fear of exploding in a cloud of dust.
    Plus tires are great for any rider looking to progress. Likely little /no benefit for riders with dialled technique and able to ride the raggedy edge of traction in a fully committed corner, but let’s be realistic, that’s probably 0.5% of the riders on the forum.

Tires wise. 2.8 NN front, no problems. 2.8 RR rear plenty of holes, pinch flats (tubeless so pinch tear at tire bead/sidewall). But repaired on trail with tire patches.
    I haven’t tried the NN out back but when the RR is holding air, it’s a great tire.

mccraque

rOcKeTdOg – Member

Got a 2.8 rekon+ in my mk2 Solaris with adequate room

and the sidewalls are relatively tough?

honourablegeorge

No good news from Maxxis

Many thanks for getting in touch with us through our website.

The Rekon+ and the Ikon+ are available to buy now. The High Roller II and Minion DHR II+ are due in around January. Prices for the 3C EXO/TR versions are expected to be around £60-£65.

Northwind

Yeah, lead times for Maxxis to the UK are slooow, I ordered my fatbike Minions from the states and even though they were delivered by rowing boat they still got here way before the UK stockists finally got theirs.

whitestone
    Free Member

A bit late to this thread but …

Also I’m not reading through the whole thread again so if something’s already been said, apologies.

The main problem with plus sized tyres is that in order to keep the weight down (low weight being one of the must haves that we’ve been told we need in bike tyres) then something’s got to give, the choice is between the sidewalls and the tread. As far as the manufacturer is concerned the sidewall is preferred as it enhances that soft plush feeling they can use to sell the tyres.

I’ve a set of 650b+ wheels running WTB Bridger on the front and WTB Trailblazer on the rear. (This is on a Solaris) I’ve seen comments on here and elsewhere and been told by riders that having the TB on the front wasn’t a good idea so I’m not sure why Cotic still run with it in their Plus package for the Solaris. Having done some measurements the sidewalls on the TB are wider than the tread! I’ve done around 800Km with the Plus tyres and still going fine.

I’ve just got back from Iceland and the tyres stood up fine even though there were some rocks I thought were a little on the razor side of sharp. A lot’s down to chance really which is the same as with any tyre.

honourablegeorge

Anyone know a US site sticking the Maxxis 2.8s? Have someone e coming back next week who’ll bring me over one

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

When somebody manages to overtake me on one I’ll give it a go

Roaster alert…..

honourablegeorge

HR2, DHF and DHR2 2.8s now listed in the Plus/Fat section of Maxxis.com and Maxxis.co.uk.

Stil not available to buy in the US through Maxxis.com though.

jam-bo

Forekaster 2.6 looks promising

http://m.pinkbike.com/photo/13968476/

fifeandy
    Free Member

There’s what appears to be a plus sized Magic Mary on one of the bikes in the Cylce Show news articles.

BadlyWiredDog

Killed the 2.8 Rocket Ron on rocks. Crap.

Northwind

honourablegeorge – Member

HR2, DHF and DHR2 2.8s now listed in the Plus/Fat section of Maxxis.com and Maxxis.co.uk.

Wonder how much they stretched their rubber ruler when they were measuring them… My 2.7 highroller measured exactly 2.5 😆

honourablegeorge

Was chatting to the nice folks at bike-components.de – they have the Minion Plus listed internally now, so should be on site next week some time.

Prices are 69,50€ for the Minion DHF+ Dual and the 3C version is 84,50€ (ouch)

muggomagic

Found the High Roller and minion 2.8 on a US website
    Link

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Someone posted on the Facebook group for “27.5+ and 29+” about the Duro Crux. I asked about sidewalls and got this

“They were on the thicker and heavier side for sure. I have been running the wtb 29×3 for a few months and these seemed to have a more substantial sidewall. I’m optimistic”

They’re cheap at Ridewill.it

The Duro Miner looks interesting too. Bit weird that the Crux looks like a rear tread pattern and is 3.25″ wide, and the Miner looks like a front and is 3.0″ wide.

BadlyWiredDog

I just fitted a Rekon+ 2.8 in the rear of my Transmitter. It’s pretty much the same size as a Trailblazer, slightly smaller than a 2.8 Rocket Ron and definitely not a genuine 2.8. It’s not heavily built, but the EXO casing feels a bit stiffer and subjectively tougher which is quite reassuring. I’ll let you know when it flats. 😉

It comes in a fancy semi-mesh bag, which seems like an utterly pointless affectation unless you’re desperate for a shopping bag which reveals your groceries to the world.

I’m told that the hot ticket for tyre destroyers may be the Tough version of the 2.8 WTB Ranger which is apparently, erm, very tough, but I don’t think they’re available yet…

jam-bo

put another hole in the side of my 2.8 NN last night. that’s 5 now…

what rims are those rekon’s on? how wide do they come up?

BadlyWiredDog

It’s on a Scraper. I’ve got a 2.8NN on the front. I don’t have any calipers, but using a tape measure, I’d say they’re roughly the same width overall, but the Rekon+ isn’t as round as the NN, if that makes sense, less sidewall sticking out beyond the tread. It’s definitely a smaller tyre than a 2.8 Rocket Ron, which in turn is bigger than a Nic of the same size I think.

If a 2.8N N fits, I think a Rekon 2.8 should go in fine. I don’t know if it’s definitely tougher than a Schwalbe, but I mostly run Maxxis elsewhere and I’ve usually found EXO casings pretty good except on the Beaver and Ikon which are built lighter.

jam-bo

2.8 NN’s are already bit tight in my fork/frame for winter slop

i think I’m going to go back to 29r for the winter and wait until next summer to see what the latest breed of 2.6 650+ tyres bring.

BadlyWiredDog

Just noticed that bike-components.de do actually have the WTB Ranger in the Tough version with alleged 2-7 day availability:

https://www.bike-components.de/en/WTB/Ranger-TCS-Tough-Fast-Rolling-27-5-Faltreifen-Modell-2017-p51267/

I guess it’s an option if the Rekon+ doesn’t play nicely with the Peak District and could be the definitive answer the thread title. Was riding with someone using one last week, it survived when two other tyres died from rock strikes 😐

muggomagic

Bit of a thread resurrection. Bike discount now have stock of the Nobby Nic with Apex casing for 46 euros.

They also have the 2.6″ versions in stock

Schwalbe new tyres

Alex

Cy has the tough wall Rangers as well in stock.. My Rekon’s have survived a Antur/Lakes trip.

muggomagic

I’m taking a pair of snakeskin NNs to Afan this weekend. Wish me luck.

jam-bo

Take a tubeless repair kit….

BadlyWiredDog

If anyone’s interested, CRC has the WTB Ranger 2.8 TCS Tough tyre in stock, though not the 3.0. Not insanely expensive for a B+ tyre either at £42.

muggomagic

jam bo – Member
    Take a tubeless repair kit.

I’ve got the anchovies packed in the SWAT box and will have a reel of gorilla tape and a couple of tubes packed too.

The 2.8 Ranger tough rear and a 3.0 apex NN front would be a great combo and all for around £80.

Alex

In slightly tangential news, I’m pretty sold on the Rekon’s at the moment but they are a ‘big’ 2.8 and the mud on last nights ride definitely generated that frame/tyre interface. NextDayTyres now have both a WideTrail Shorty and DHRII in. I think I’ll try DHR2 (which is a nominal 2.4) for winter. Might drop the BB a little but will give me a lot more clearance….

On the Stache, I’m leaving the bridger/ranger combo and we’ll see how we get on. And that’ll take the new 2.8 shorty/DHR that are coming at some point. Although if they are £90 each I’ll probably not bother.

benpinnick

WT Shorty. Basically the best tyre ever.

Northwind

@Ben, have you tried the 2.5 Der Baron Projekt? I fancy trying one of these 2 but I can’t decide which…

muggomagic

So 3 days riding in Wales and no issues at all with the 3.0 Nobby Nics. Which, bearing in mind I was so knackered on the Saturday late afternoon that I was slamming into everything on the Skyline descent, was quite a pleasant surprise.

singlespeedstu

The 2.8 Ranger is a little on the small side.

Maybe it’ll stretch out a bit with use.
    It’s also not as tall as it could be.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Nm7bKu]2.8 Ranger on Scraper.[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

muggomagic

I’ve been impressed with the NNs and I like that they seem a bit taller than the Specialized purgatory and GC that they replaced.

honourablegeorge

benpinnick – Member
    WT Shorty. Basically the best tyre ever.

Oh good…. my desk looks even more promising then

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 338 total)

The topic ‘27.5+ 2.8 tyres – anything with a sidewall not made of cheese?’ is closed to new replies.