Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 338 total)
  • 27.5+ 2.8 tyres – anything with a sidewall not made of cheese?
  • jam-bo

so here is a thing. first ride back on 29r wheels after a summer on 2.8NN’s.

the hand pump I’d been getting on long descents is gone. vanished. not a hint.

nothing but the wheels/tyres changed.

confused.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

The 2.8 Ranger is a little on the small side.

Maybe it’ll stretch out a bit with use.
    It’s also not as tall as it could be.

Looks like the side knobbles are in the right place though, which is one up in the Trailblazer. 😉

honourablegeorge

For anyone interested, Alltricks have the 2.8″ 27.5″ DHF, DHR2 and High Roller (all in Dual Compound) in stock now

http://www.alltricks.com/C-40535-tyres/N-11923-brand~maxxis/N-58733-width~2.80/I-Page1_20

PNOCT gets you 10% on the DHR2

jam-bo

even the discounted price on that rekon is insane…

BadlyWiredDog

First night ride on the WTB Ranger TCS Tough 2.8 out back last night. Slammed into several rockeries at reasonable speed without any hint of a pinch flat, which is a major advance on previous tyres, trust me…

It’s pretty fast rolling despite being very obviously a little heavy. Grip feels about right to me for a rear tyre and was happy on everything from rock and hardpack through to medium soft stuff. Not so good on deeper mud, but then nothing much in b+ is as far as I can see.

It works nicely teamed with a 2.8 NN up front though I might swap that for the Rekon+ I took off the back.

As above, it’s slightly small for the stated size, the 3.0 might be a better bet for float, and probably around the same dimensions as a Trailblazer, but actually has some edge knobs, which is nice.

At any rate, the sidewalls definitely aren’t made of cheese. It was something of a relief… 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Well a piece of flint has just killed my Light Grippy Ranger on the front. Saying that, I’m not sure a Tough version would have kept it out…

Anyway, it was a nice tyre for three rides. Time to work out what to pop on there next. Just glad I didn’t pay £80 for a Rekon.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/NTuCzE].@wildernesstrailbikes WTB Ranger: 0 – IoW flint: 1 Three rides old. The new blood on the squad couldn't take the pace! — #iowmtb #mtb #ukmtb #wintermtb #nofilter #nophotoshop[/url] by Neil Cain, on Flickr

honourablegeorge

Got a 2.8 DHF 3C Exo from Bike-Components today, EUR 79.95, not fitted it yet, but it’ll replace a Nobby Nic, with a Rekon out back.

No more tyre OCD. Aaaaah.

Don’t think the tyre is listed on the site yet, but they did a special order for me.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

No more tyre OCD. Aaaaah.

You know it makes sense. 😉

WTB above is repaired and holding air. Whether that remains the case after a ride is yet to be discovered.

Alex

I see the Minion plus tyres are due in at Next Day Tyres in a week or so. And I see Maxxis’s aspiration pricing / legalised robbery continues to generate a ‘How f*****ing much’ from any individual with even a soupçon of fiscal responsibility.

Anyway thats not why I resurrected this thread. Just a bit more info on my Rekon’s with around 750km on them. Survived Antur/Lakes/Afan/Cwncarn/Malverns/FoD/etc and – as of yesterday – BPW. Well mostly. For Antur I’d pumped then up to around 18PSI (from 16/14 I normally run) but didn’t bother for BPW.

Second run (one of the rocky-ish reds off the top), air was hissing out between the bead and the rim on the front. Thought I’d dinged the rim due to low pressures/being a klutz jumping over slabs.

It was absolutely sh****ing it down all day and my attempt to stick a tube in just got me a) wetter an b) no more inflated after nipping the tube. Workshop at BPW were great, wasn’t an issue with the tyre but the stans tape had degraded so it no longer covered all the spoke holes. Maybe the tyre hit it and moved it? Dunno.

Anyway a dry with the airline, new tape (Gorilla tape is what they use and it looks really good), some new sealant and we’re back in the game. Tested it on Hot-Stepper (twice), Rim Dinger etc and did all the decent sized drops / jumps on the reds and it was fine. At 20PSI.

That one will be going to Spain in April. Although in the spares bag as I’ll probably have coughed up for a ruinously expensive DHF for the front before then…

chakaping
    Free Member

So what’s the current recommended choice for people riding rocky trails who aren’t independently wealthy?

I was considering WTB Ranger tough on rear and NN trailstar apex on front?

Alex

I’m going with WTB ranger tough on the back and part used Rekon on the front. A DHF would probably be better but I’m not forking out for one at that price. The only NN I have experience of are the very fragile ones that came on the Mojo. They’d be awesome in the FoD if it is dusty, but not for rocky trails.

BadlyWiredDog

I was considering WTB Ranger tough on rear and NN trailstar apex on front?

That’s what I’m running on the Sonder. Seems to work, though I guess if you really slammed the front wheel hard into something square-edged, you could probably hurt it. I’m not normally a Nobby Nic fan, but it seems like a pretty good all-round front tyre in plus guise. I suspect a Rekon would be slightly tougher, but not as grippy on softer stuff.

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I’m glad you’ve done the beta testing already.

The 2.8in NN Snakeskin Apex Trailstar is quoted at 960g, which is 75g more than the 29er Magic Mary Snakeskin – and that has proved more than tough enough for my needs.

I prefer the look of the tread on the Rekon or Minion, but I refuse to pay that much for a bicycle tyre.

tymbian
    Free Member

Same dilema here. I test rode a Spesh turbo levo at the weekend and didn’t get on ( grip wise ) with the 3.0 Purg up front so was going to start getting some tyres sorted. Ive always run a 29″ MM on my Enduro which is a confidence inspiring point n shoot tyre and was hoping for the same for the yet to purchase Levo. Certainly looking for a tough tyre weight not really an issue as pedal-assist. Has anyone real-world experience with the DHF in + or HRII?

honourablegeorge

LOVE my 2.8 DHF 3c

firestarter
    Free Member

Anyone compared a trailblazer and a ranger 2.8 side by side

muggomagic

After waiting the best part of a year for them, I’ve decided against buying the minions. The price, Maxxis narrow sizing and shallow tread has put me off.
    I know that the view is that the tread doesn’t need to be so deep on plus tyres as there is a bigger contact patch, but that just says to me that they will need replacing sooner as there wasn’t much tread to start with and at £80 a piece I wouldn’t want to be replacing them that regularly.

The 2.8 butcher and slaughter GRIDs are now available in the states. If they aren’t going to be available in the UK anytime soon, I might see if I can find somewhere that’ll ship them over.

singlespeedstu

Anyone compared a trailblazer and a ranger 2.8 side by side

There you go Mick.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Nm7bKu]2.8 Ranger on Scraper.[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/wEaV9k]69mm.[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

pipiom
    Free Member

Not sure why so few people are posting re the WTB Bridger. Good few of us using them over here, and I’m not aware of anything but deep love for them.
    We’ve got a good range of terrain over here every time we ride (rocks, flint, roots and slop etc) and they just work.

firestarter
    Free Member

Cheers stu very similar looks like ranger has a smaller sidewall but bigger knobbles

singlespeedstu

The Ranger is a much better tyre.
    The knobs actually go all the way to the outside of the tyre.
    Think it’s grown a little now too. I’ll try and measure it later.

psycorp
    Free Member

I’ve posted about Bridgers before. I run them front and rear on my hardtail. They’re a fantastic Spring/Summer/Autumn tyre, not so great in slimy conditions IME.

They have stood up well to rocky peaks and Welsh rides, no punctures. Great all round tyre.

I’m now running 2.8 NN and WTB 2.5 Breakout on the bouncer too. The BO is a beast of a tyre, stoutly made and large for the quoted size. It’s supposedly based on the TB carcass, don’t know how true that is but it is big.

I’ve not put many miles into these tyres yet though but they fared better than I expected in the few sloppy rides I’ve got in so far.

firestarter
    Free Member

Thanks mate

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m now running 2.8 NN and WTB 2.5 Breakout on the bouncer too. The BO is a beast of a tyre, stoutly made and large for the quoted size. It’s supposedly based on the TB carcass, don’t know how true that is but it is big.

Aye, the breakout is a corking rear tyre, heavy – granted, but fast rolling, toughest tyre I’ve experienced and way grippier than it’s tread pattern would suggest.

nixie

Has anyone compared the 2.8 to 3.0 Ranger? Got a trailblazer at the moment but fancy more grip to match the bridger on the front.

muggomagic

Specialized UK have just told me that they aren’t “ranging” the 2.8 butcher and slaughter GRIDs. They’re only stocking the 2.6 versions. Very disappointing.

Alex

That’s a shame. I do wonder if 2.6 will become the new 2.8. Currently on WT 2.5s on one bike and they are great but they don’t feel like a chubby.

@nixie – I have the bridger on the rear of my Stache. Great three seasons tyre as pointed out above.

muggomagic

The BB is already quite low on the stumpjumper with 3.0 tyres. Should be ok with 2.8 but think a 2.6 is going to be too much of a drop. What’s the chances of Schwalbe getting the magic Mary out this year?

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Not sure why so few people are posting re the WTB Bridger. Good few of us using them over here, and I’m not aware of anything but deep love for them.
    We’ve got a good range of terrain over here every time we ride (rocks, flint, roots and slop etc) and they just work.

I’m running Bridger front and back with no issues really, still trying to dial in the pressures though….

nixie

I am tempted by the bridger on the rear as well but not 100% sure there is room (longitude 2016). Should measure it really given the front i have is in the same rim.

Alex, bridger not good in winter mud then on the back? Been using the trailblazer this winter and that has been slippy at times (think tractor pulling style wheel spins to go forwards).

muggomagic

Found the 2.8 butcher GRID in Arts Cyclery, but they are $60 each and they want another $60 to ship them via UPS. HiBike.de are going to have stock arrive end of May and they are much better priced at 50 euros each plus 9e for shipping. So I’ll be holding off on any tyre purchases until they arrive in Germany.

Alex

Right proper test coming up this weekend. Rekon Front, TCS Tough Ranger on the back

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SbMYv8]Mojo 3 goes chubby for our Snowden weekend[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

And this is why I removed them for the last few weeks

[url=https://flic.kr/p/S99nLW]Mojo 3 goes chubby for our Snowden weekend[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Not a lot of room in there for UK mud. It does keep the bike super short at the back tho.

If they survive the ranger path, they’re staying on for Ciclo Montana/Spain in three weeks. If not, it’s back to the WideTrails which I’ve really come to like. For info this pairing (even with the heavy Tough casing) are lighter than a WT DHR/DHF combo by about 200 gr if you care about such things.

Alex

Cost wise WTB cost me 32 quid after a discount code, rekon was £70 cash new. I’m not sure it’s twice as good 😉

muggomagic

WTB need to get make a plus version of the vigilante.

Alex are the tough versions noticeably stiffer than the lights?

Alex

I hope so. Definitely less floppy and the sidewall feels beefed up significantly. My old fast rolling one wouldn’t even support it’s own weight off the rim. This one is a lot stouter. It’s nearly a third as heavy coming in at just under 1000gr so as long as the heft has been put in the right places…

I did like the tyre tho on my FlareMax before I destroyed it. Fast rolling, surprisingly good on braking for such a shallow thread and loads of grip (until it’s really muddy). Hoping this combo is as good. Other tyre on the FlareMax was the Ranger which again I rate. It’s on my Stache now with a bridger on the back and I’m very happy with those.

But year 2.8 Vigilante would be ace. Especially at < £40.

muggomagic

That sounds like a good option then. I had a Bridger and while I quite liked the tyre I found I had to run it with more pressure than the other tyres as I’d used as the sidewalls were so thin. So far the stiffest sidewalls I’ve found have been the Specialized GRID tyres.

BearBack
    Free Member

I think I’d said before I really liked the 2.8 NN front, rocket ron rear I had on my last scale plus (once I found the pressure sweet spot) Plenty of repaired tears on the Ron with glue patches but it was still absolutely fine run tubeless. No issues with the NN but it was only ever up front so not really at risk.
    I’ve a 3.0 purgatory grid pair now and whilst it’s a much heavier tyre that I’ve no doubt it will not need anything like the sidewall repairs that the RR was subject to, however it is probably the least reliable tubeless install I’ve ever had. I can’t run it much below 20psi without it oozing sealant under JRA pedalling (in snow).
    Once the snow is completely gone, I’ll try and solve the tubeless problem or just retire them for now and looking forwards to trying the rekon 2.8 that came on the new bike.

Alex

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SdgKPA]North Wales MTB Weekend – Snowdon and CYB[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Test passed wth flying colours. Snowdon Ranger path and a lap of the beast. Included casing a bunch of water bars, smashing through some proper jagged rocks and generally abusing the tyres in as many ways as possible.

No issues whatsoever. Mate’s had quite a few punctures on ‘normal’ Maxxis 2.3 DHF/DHR but not so much as a burp from either end on the Mojo, And I preferred the bike with them on. Might have just been as it was a fab weekend but they’re staying on.

jimwah
    Free Member

That’s proper mtb’ing Alex ^^

In contrast I managed a few local miles pottering through the woods on my freshly cobbled-together 650b+ bike [a 29 Parkwood with Recons] and 2.8 WTB Ranger Comps – it’s so ‘springy’ and fun to ride, I guess it’s the combo of a coil fork and soft 2.8 but it just launches off small roots and lips 😀

The sidewalls on the cheap Comps might be a bit cheese-like, but having ridden them now, I’ll happily drop £50 on the Tough version if I do manage to rip a sidewall. They ride nice and the clearance is good (wouldn’t want to go any bigger in the RS Recon). I only run 27mm rims and they still come up about 2.6 on the carcass and 2.8 across the shoulder knobs.

Not sure if these pics will work ..

Alex

Looking appropriately chubby. I am starting to become a fan of WTB tyres. Seem to be tough (if you get the right casing), have a decent roll to grip ratio and cost about half a Maxxis! I think I paid less than £35 for mine by just doing a google search… not a shop I’d used before.

At 2.6 you’re in the vanguard of the latest niche without having to buy expensive tyres. Result 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 338 total)

The topic ‘27.5+ 2.8 tyres – anything with a sidewall not made of cheese?’ is closed to new replies.