Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 338 total)
  • 27.5+ 2.8 tyres – anything with a sidewall not made of cheese?
  • muggomagic

When I was last at BPW I was running the Rekons F&R. I started with 16f and 18r but it got soggy so I dropped some pressure out the front, no idea how much, and got a puncture soon after on the Bonneyville drop. Should’ve stuck with the pressure as it was.
    Next time I’m sticking with 16/18

Alex

I’ve converted the stache back to 29+ (due to yet another upcoming chubby project!). I remember liking the Chronicles. Not ridden it 29+ for a year so be interesting. Certainly feels very different just riding up and down the lane. Had to move the dropouts all the way back so it ain’t going to be so nimble.

It is quite monster truck feeling tho 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/V5F31a]Fat Stache[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VHYRXU]Fat Stache[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/V5F5ji]Fat Stache[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

muggomagic

Jenson USA have the Magic Mary 2.8 listed now. Can’t find them on the usual German sites or nextdaytyres yet (nextdaytyres have the 2.6 listed)
    Hopefully won’t be long until they appear in Europe.

Magic Mary plus

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Well I know that this is hardly scientific, but I took the chubby HIghTower out for an 18 mile Chiltern blast on Sunday and think it’s safe to say that for me at least, it’s faster than on the 29s…

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170703/8af4daa0a3630dd9c95a85ff5eae90a6.jpg[/IMG]

ir_bandito
    Free Member

27.5X2.8 Minions coping happily with Alpe d’huez so far this week

muggomagic

Great picture.

Alex

It is a great picture 🙂

Now I’ve just built up my solaris max with NN 2.8s on Ibis 41mm ext rims. What pressure are we running on HT? On the 29+ Stache I go with 13 and 11 on 3.0 tyres / 50mm rims. I run 16/16 on the FS on 42mm rims.

I’m thinking, bit more in back but don’t go silly, maybe 18/16? I’m 77kg kitted up and have yet to roll a tyre off a rim 😉

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I bought a digital gauge as I didn’t believe my track pump, but I’m 77kgs kitted up and am running 14/15 on my Enve M60Plus (4mm internal) rims with 2.8 Minions on my FS bike

Alex

Ta. I started with 17/16 and ended up at about 15/13. Bit skittish at the start, maybe a bit roll-y at the end. More experimentation needed. The bike tho is blooming lovely 🙂

hughjayteens
    Free Member

40mm internal that is!

Alex

Took the Solaris Max out again tonight. Felt very skittery over the roots and was locking up the back wheel so easily under braking. Dropped the pressures to 12/12 and that felt amazing. Really transformed the ride. Took a token out of the Yari as it was set up for 140mm. At 120mm it ramped up too quickly for me.

Not sure I’d run such low pressures where there are rocks, but in the Forest here it’s fab. So much grip. Might drop the pressures on the Mojo3 now!

Alex

So anyone going to try the new 2.8s from Spesh as per FGF http://singletrackworld.com/2017/07/fresh-goods-friday-355/ last week?

I prefer the Nobbly Nic 2.8 on the HT compared to the FS. Rode the FoD last week on the Rekon’s (on my flaremax) in grotty conditions. Surprisingly grippy. Until they weren’t and I hugged a tree/broke a brake lever. Not sure any tyre would have saved me tho!

muggomagic

Yep, definitely will give the butcher a go. Keep looking at the stock dates on hibike and it continually rolls on another few weeks. It was June/July back in April and now it’s beginning of October.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Anyone else think the side knobs look an awful long way down the side on those Spesh 2.8’s? May just be the angle of the photo, but looks like you’d need one hell of a lean angle to get those into play.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I bought a digital gauge as I didn’t believe my track pump, but I’m 77kgs kitted up and am running 14/15 on my Enve M60Plus (4mm internal) rims with 2.8 Minions on my FS bike

I did too. Pleasantly it agrees with my track pump.

Yep, definitely will give the butcher a go. Keep looking at the stock dates on hibike and it continually rolls on another few weeks. It was June/July back in April and now it’s beginning of October.

Same here, especially as the local shop is a Spesh dealer.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Anyone else think the side knobs look an awful long way down the side on those Spesh 2.8’s? May just be the angle of the photo, but looks like you’d need one hell of a lean angle to get those into play.

It’s worth bearing in mind how much the tyre will deform as you sit on the bike, and as you lean it over, and what shape that deformation will take. I suspect those side knobbles will ‘sink’ closer to the ground once a rider is on board.

Alex

but looks like you’d need one hell of a lean angle to get those into play.

Might be like the old Maxxis High Roller. Lean, slip, slip, slip, panic, grip.

I bought a topeak digital gauge ages ago. Track pump is close but with scale to 120PSI, hard to tell diff between say 15 and 12. Which in chubby terms is the difference between compliance/grip and bouncy terror. The gauge on my compressor is at best a guide to the fact that there is air in the tyre.

I’m tempted to drop the pressure on the front tyre on the Solaris a bit more. Just to see what happens. It can’t be any grippier, surely?

Alex

Oh and I REALLY want Schwalbe to make a magic mary in 2.8 for the sloppy season. Looks like we might have to be satisfied with a 2.6. One of those on the front and a hans damf on the back might be a good combo.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I bought a topeak digital gauge ages ago. Track pump is close but with scale to 120PSI, hard to tell diff between say 15 and 12. Which in chubby terms is the difference between compliance/grip and bouncy terror. The gauge on my compressor is at best a guide to the fact that there is air in the tyre.

Ah – yes. I’ve got the Topeak Mtn high volume / low pressure, which tops out at around 60psi. Makes the gauge that bit more accurate.

Oh and I REALLY want Schwalbe to make a magic mary in 2.8 for the sloppy season. Looks like we might have to be satisfied with a 2.6. One of those on the front and a hans damf on the back might be a good combo.

I suspect a little more clearance and a little less width won’t be a bad thing… 😉

Alex

yeah I was thinking that too 🙂 Be fine on my Solaris I reckon and the Mojo (not that I’m taking it out in winter, it invalidates the Californian warranty!) but it’d drop the flaremax too much Cy reckons. I have some cheap 29er wheels to solve that problem.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

It’s one of the reasons I made The Project compatible with both; the idea of a 29er wheel, mud tyres and LOADS of clearance pleases me.

Alex

Any pics of this ‘project’ Neil?

Clearance wasn’t the issue last night. Grip was. Rekon’s were fine on the (very wet, it never stopped chucking it down all day and all through the ride) roots and the thin mud, but hitting a patch of thicker mud, they just filled, aquaplaned and went sideways. Instantly 😉

Not ridden in conditions like that for a bit, but definitely wouldn’t want to be doing it often on that combo. Magic Mary and Hans Damf on the spare 29 wheels might be coming out a bit sooner than I expected.

Also have a DHF/DHRII WideTrail combo on another set of spare wheels as the Ibis won’t take 29. Doubt I’ll fit them tho as I can’t bear to take that bike out when it’s so horrible. Appears to have been designed so mud is directed into every bearing at maximum velocity!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

No recent shots – am picking up mk2 frame in a week. Looking forward to it – the mk1 has been up with the builder to be used as a yard stick, so not had any hardtail fun for a while.

There will be some stuff on the usual social channels soon 🙂

Earl
    Free Member

marked

Alex

How are everyone’s tyre holding up then?

Bridger/Trail Boss 3.0 27.5+ on the Stache look like new. Not been ridden that much but definitely a good set of decent 3 season tyres at reasonable prices. 13R/11F

Rekon/Rekon 2.8 27.5+ on Mojo3 and FlareMax. Definitely the best plus tyre I’ve ridden. Still rubbish in mud tho. Apparently the 2.6 is better. I’m not risking £80+ to find out! 16 PSI F&R

Nobby Nic 2.8 27.5+ on the Solaris Max. I’ve been grudgingly impressed with these tyres. Running them with increasingly low pressures and they have fantastic grip and are nicely damped for the hardtail. Have definitely hit the rims a few times but they’ve survived and without any of that traditional Schwalbe ‘knobs falling off the side. 12/12 and I wouldn’t want to go any lower. At 15 tho, properly bouncy and noticeably less grip.

How’s everyone else getting on?

chakaping
    Free Member

What are you using to check pressures Alex?

Alex

My Top-Peak digital gauge https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/pumps/351-smartgauge_d2

I probably should calibrate it with something else, but at least I know it’s a fixed reference point for all the bikes…

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks.

Another £20 to spend then, hooray!

Alex

Worth it tho. Bought it originally for my (ex) fat bike. But use it on all the bikes now. It has a nice feature so you can release air to a defined pressure. Which is great as my compressor gauge is clearly not connected to the air line based on it’s random positioning of the needle!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Ditto what Al says: really useful tool.

Running WTB Rangers (Tough rear, Light Grippy front) which I like in the dry, but am off to the Lakes shortly and want something with tougher sidewalls. Local shop has no idea when 2.8 Spesh tyres will be available as they’re not even on the UK dealer intranet.

What else should I be looking at?

Del

opportune thread. i’ve just last night aired up a set of rangers, same combo as above, on 45 scrapers, with wtb tape and joe’s valves. a lot of reviews said they were difficult to fit, so i entered in to it with a bit of trepidation, but didn’t find them too bad at all TBH. i was pretty slack about how i fitted the tape, so there wasn’t much of a well for them to drop in to, but they went on ok with a little persuasion from a pedros tyre lever. the more awkward of the two was the light one – it’s so flexible you try getting a bit more tough with one bit of it and the other bit just peels straight off. i found that if i held one side on, and just worked on the other side bit by bit with the lever, it was good.
    they aired up with a regular track pump easy, though both leaked at a particular spot on the rim – where the joint is perhaps. the sealant fixed both though, and they’re both holding air this morning.

pimp – what terrain/pressure are you riding?
    alex – what sort of terrain are you riding?

i don’t think i can go too low pressure with these, they’re going to roll if i do.

kcal

got the Topeak gauge a while back. Very good. Better feel to it thgan the SKS ? one I also tried..

Alex

@PMJ: what you need is a Rekon. Or possibly a DHF. But I’d go Rekon. And possibly a bank loan to buy it 😉

@Del – bet they are a nice wide profile on 45s! I’ve had no issues with WTB tyres on WTB rims. It appears moving away from either of these causes all the problems. I had more issue getting a 29 2.3 MM to bead last week. That £99 compressor is the best thing I’ve bought in ages.

I’ve added a bit of sealant every month. Does seem to leak/dry up more in the chubbies. They all hold air dry well tho.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

pimp – what terrain/pressure are you riding?

Southern singletrack. So lots of woodland trails and roots, not too many rocks. I’ve been steadily dropping pressures – was running 12F/14R the other day at Thetford forest, but was previously fairly set on 13F/15R at home on the lumpier Isle of Wight. WTB Scraper rims too, FTR.

what you need is a Rekon. Or possibly a DHF. But I’d go Rekon. And possibly a bank loan to buy it

Yay. 😐

Del

you’ll also need some kind of super google foo if you want a dhf 2.8 3c. i had one of those all picked out but don’t seem to be able to find them anywhere now. the 80 quid was also a bit off putting, seeing as i could get both front and rear wtbs for the same as one maxxis. 😐

Alex

80 quid was also a bit off putting, seeing as i could get both front and rear wtbs for the same as one maxxis

That was my line of thinking when looking for some 27.5+ tyres for the Stache. Owning 4 rekons already felt as if I’d made a major investment in Maxxis futures 😉

Gotama
    Free Member

Del – next day tyres have the minion DHF in 3C 2.8. It is ridiculously expensive though at £88. Reluctantly going to order one though as the rekon, although a great tyre, is rubbish when it gets muddy and I’m pretty sure if I leave it until the weather worsens they will be all sold out! Oh and dented the rear rim at 18psi rear, 40mm WTBs and I’m 100kg so going to have to up it a bit until the cushcore is released in plus this autumn.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Are you running Addix Nobby Nics Alex?

Alex

I live about 15 mins from Next Day Tyres. Always go in so I can have a mooch around the warehouse. It’s a tyre fanciers dream.

I’m not running the Addix. These are the ‘standard’ 2.8s that came on my Mojo. I had a look at the Addix compounds last time I was at next days tyres and reckon the 2.6 magic mary might be a decent winter front. Cheaper than a DHF but a) not by that much and b) lacking chubbiness.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 338 total)

The topic ‘27.5+ 2.8 tyres – anything with a sidewall not made of cheese?’ is closed to new replies.