Viewing 18 posts - 321 through 338 (of 338 total)
  • 27.5+ 2.8 tyres – anything with a sidewall not made of cheese?
  • BadlyWiredDog

First ride on the 2.8 Minion DHF / Rekon+ 2.8 combination yesterday and very impressed. I ran them at 15psi front, 17psi rear measured with an aged Topeak digital gauge. For the Peak in autumn I’d say they’re just about perfect. The DHF just gets on with things, plenty of grip on both rock and softer surfaces and the Rekon’s decently grippy and reasonably fast rolling with it.

At those pressures there was enough cushion and traction to clean the climb up the Rushup Edge trough despite DCC’s best efforts and they were reassuring across the muddy, ribboned bridleway along the top. Al good until the rocky downhill on the Hayfield side of Jacob’s when everything went into full-on jackhammer mode. Bear in mind this is on a hardtail with a 120mm fork.

Let some air out either end and got much more float without flatting, but also reached the delightful point of squidgy, waffly, wallowy roll out back. I suspect I’d have pinch flatted the rear eventually too. I’m going to stick Pro Core in the rear and see if that shifts the delicate balance of support, traction and vulnerability inot a better place.

But the DHF was brilliant.

Dual or triple compound?

And why (basically)?

No idea 🙂

Alex

My rear Recon is pretty much shot, so after reading the last few posts swapping the good recon off the front onto the back and buying a 2.8 DHF sounds the way to go.

It’s been dry here the last couple of weeks. Having not ridden a chubby bike for a couple of months, took me a while to get back used to that feeling of the squidgy tyre feeling BWD is taking about ^^^. I do like it, but I think Cush-Core could be a good solution.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Don’t know if I’m the only one to mention this ..as I’ve only just tapped into this thread ..
    A lot of posters have mentioned the pressures they are running with their tubeless set up ..but as yet no one has brought their own weight into the equation ..which surely is relevant to how much psi you have in each tyre .
    So why bother quoting ..?
    Are you all the same weight?

frogstomp

How do they size up (rim size?)? I see they don’t do a 3.0 version…

gwurk
    Free Member

There’s far more to tyre pressures than simply quoting rider weight against tyre pressure/Volume.
    These riders who go around quoting low pressures like it’s something to brag about?. Now let’s be honest here. Do these riders ever even hit corners fast? No. Of course not. No one who’s happy using plus tyres ever does. All that grip plus tyre fans rave about is actually pointless as their big oversized super grippy low pressure tyres lack support in corners.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

i reckon you’re probably right gwurk. i don’t go fast enough to know : )
    i did follow a really great rider once in the alps and was astounded by what asked of his tyres. he wasn’t into the idea of big squishy tyres and i could see why!

it’s also the type of surface to a degree as well tho i reckon. on the dry rooty stoney trails round me i can’t think of many corners where a good rider could dig hard into it as it’s either too rough, or too covered in pine needles.
    2.6/2.8@ tyre really help me on this stuff. sometimes i even feel like i’m going fast. i’m not tho

BadlyWiredDog

These riders who go around quoting low pressures like it’s something to brag about?. Now let’s be honest here. Do these riders ever even hit corners fast? No. Of course not. No one who’s happy using plus tyres ever does. All that grip plus tyre fans rave about is actually pointless as their big oversized super grippy low pressure tyres lack support in corners.

They work well on a lot of Peak trails where there aren’t any real corners, but there’s a load of rocky stuff. I’m not sure anyone’s ‘bragging’ about pressures, btw more that folk are trying to find a spot where there’s enough support to corner hard-ish / not wallow and enough cush to make it worth the extra weight and volume worthwhile.

I’m increasingly thinking it doesn’t exist – run enough pressure to keep the tyre stable and you might as well have normal tyres – but it’s interesting finding out. I have a couple of non-plus mountain bikes also.

A lot of posters have mentioned the pressures they are running with their tubeless set up ..but as yet no one has brought their own weight into the equation ..which surely is relevant to how much psi you have in each tyre .

I’m about 12-stone, I guess – I don’t weigh myself – plus riding pack. I probably should have mentioned that. Also pump gauges vary a lot in accuracy. My track pump reads higher than it ought to, for example.

Just got a Magic Mary 2.8 for the front to keep me vertical in winter. Sidewall is typical Schwalbe thickness so we’ll see what fails first.
    Slam 69 have them BTW.

metalheart
    Free Member

no idea 😀

Well, that makes two of us.

I think I’ll just get the cheaper ones then… :mrgreen:

tdog
    Free Member

Everyone seems to be raving on about these Maxxis HR2s or DHRs and the like, is it that they’re tread pattern causes more drag but good bite to grip in winter slop?

This kinda gets me wondering how heavy they are also and I’m counting on the sidewalls on them to be tougher than Schwalbe NNs.
    If so what’s the weight on the Maxxis equivalent 2.8”?

BadlyWiredDog

Someone asked earlier about the size of the 2.8 Maxxis tyres. The Rekon measures exactly 70mm across its widest point, The Minion DHF is 68mm, but only been on for a couple of days so may yet grow slightly. Both on Scraper 45mm rims.

In comparative terms, the Rekon seems to be bigger all round than an equivalent WTB Trailblazer or Ranger and a little smaller than the equivalent 2.8 Schwalbe. The Minion sits happily in a standard 650B X Fusion Sweep.

They seemed to cope okay with current Peak mud btw, but I also have a 2.5 WT DHF sat in the cellar along with a 2.4 Ardent that I can stick on if the float issue returns.

I didn’t weigh them before fitting – sorry – but claimed weight on the 2.8 DHF is around 1000g and on the Rekon+ around 800g. I think they’re slightly tougher than the Snakeskin Schwalbes, but not like a WTB Tough or a Double Down or similar.

Everyone seems to be raving on about these Maxxis HR2s or DHRs and the like, is it that they’re tread pattern causes more drag but good bite to grip in winter slop?

Very grippy in medium stuff judging from my experience at the weekend, though I wouldn’t want to use them in full-on, Chiltern-style, gloopy clag, More drag yes, but if you stick the grippy tyre up front and run something faster rolling like the Rekon out back, they’re fine. No different from conventional tyre sizes ime in that you get more rolling resistance from the rear tyre, always. But the bigger contact patch seems to equate to more grip even with a less aggressive tread pattern.

tdog
    Free Member

Thanks for the info, I would also be possibly looking into WTBs offerings in future but will check out weights on those before committing as going from 800 gram odd NNs will be non sensical but makes sense if I find NNs to slide out unpredictably as written all over online.

Gotta say it’s early days for me on the 2.8” NNs and well they seem alright apart from thin sidewall feel so extra psi was added.

frogstomp

Anyone seen the plus-sized Specialized tyres for sale anywhere?

henk
    Free Member

Frogstomp, I got my second Purgatory Grid from Edinburgh Bike Coop recently. Great tyre and tread has barely worn, but bead pinches has been the demise of the current one, after a lot of abuse

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I swapped back to my Minion DHF/DHR2 combo last weekend but after almost comical levels of zero grip at the QECP Day night Enduro (which was the muddiest I have ever ridden in to be fair) I’m wondering if a Magic Mary up front might be a better overall option? How are people finding these after a few months of use and abuse? Holding up OK?

The Minions are incredible in the dry and have taken plenty of abuse (lots of visible sidewall scratches and scrapes but no pinch flats or punctures despite a very hard and rocky week in the alps and several days in Scotland and at BPW), but they are looking pretty worn now (out back especially) and don’t really dig in when it’s gloopy.

Gotama
    Free Member

Isn’t the issue the width of the tyre rather than the tread? I recall a review saying the plus mary was vague in the slop. I’ve taken to sticking a 29er wheel in the front with a 2.5 Shorty on it for gloopier trails after finding the Minion 2.8 really vague and a bit slippy slidey on the front. It’s created a bit of a predicament as I like the feel of the 29er wheel in the front with the plus at the rear but the bike looks a little daft 🙂

muggomagic

Pretty sure no tyre would’ve found grip at the Day Night enduro. It was tough going

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I’m blaming the tyres rather than admitting it was my lack of skill! Compared with last year my times were shocking yet the fast guys were still fast somehow regardless of the gloop!

Viewing 18 posts - 321 through 338 (of 338 total)

The topic ‘27.5+ 2.8 tyres – anything with a sidewall not made of cheese?’ is closed to new replies.