Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 338 total)
  • 27.5+ 2.8 tyres – anything with a sidewall not made of cheese?
  • sillyoldman

I’ve found the Trail Boss pretty disappointing – promising weight (heavy) but that’s due to lots of tread rubber rather than burlier sidewalls. Also a shame that the compound is like that of a cheap OEM tyre.

pipiom
    Free Member

Has’nt anyone got any more opinions on the WTB Bridger? It looks ideal and at a decent price.

BadlyWiredDog

It’s got the same sidewall construction as the Trailblazer no? In which case I’d give it a miss if you ride anywhere remotely rocky.

The first comment on the WTB page for the tyre backs that up:
    http://www.wtb.com/products/bridger

I said it earlier on the thread, but although I’m not a Schwalbe fan – except when it comes to Ice Spiker Pro – the Snakeskin casing on the 2.8 NN and RR seems okay so far and the prices aren’t as mind-blowingly excessive as for the Maxxis tyres.

Stoner
    Free Member

Al – can one just rock up at nextdaytyres for a sniff/fondle or is it just a shed with guard dogs and sniper towers?

muggomagic

The Bridger has been good for the last month or so on the front of my SJ 6fattie. I mainly ride in the woods, but it’s coped well with SDW flint. Been good on the few rides that it’s encountered wet roots and chalk. It rolls really well for a 1200g tyre too.

benpinnick

3.0 NNs are the same weight as 2.8s and are accordingly thinner

They’re actually lighter. Yes. Mental I know.

I possibly do have some hr/minion samples in but ivenot yet sifted through the piles of tyres to see what’s there.

muggomagic

Time to drop everything and start searching Ben 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Al – can one just rock up at nextdaytyres for a sniff/fondle or is it just a shed with guard dogs and sniper towers?

+1

honourablegeorge

benpinnick – Member

I possibly do have some hr/minion samples in but ivenot yet sifted through the piles of tyres to see what’s there.

I’ve said it before, ben, but let me say it again, you’re a top man. Really. Can’t stress that enough

*casually mentions full postal address*

🙂

ssmith1979
    Free Member

Specialized have just told my LBS that they have no plans to bring in either Slaughter or Butcher in 650B+ sizes this year. Possibly next but nothing firm.

Anyone heard any different? Or any sources from Europe/US?

muggomagic

I got this reply from Specialized UK

Butcher GRID: ONLY 650b x 2.6 – No due date as yet expect early next year.

Slaughter GRID 650b x 2.8 – Will not be available this coming year. (only available in 2.3)

Ground control GRID 650b x 3.0 – Will not be available this coming year (only available in 2.3)

Purgatory GRID 650b x 3.0 & 2.6 – No due date as yet expect early next year.

ssmith1979
    Free Member

Looks like cheese side walls or small mortgage tyres only then?!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I got this reply from Specialized UK

Bottoms.

Looks like I’m buying Schwalbes then.

Alex

Yep. Opening hours on their website. Steve is the man behind the counter.

I cannot understand why Spesh don’t bring the tyres in. It’s not like it’s shipping 10,000 bikes or anything. Surely can’t be too costly to get them in the disty/LBS supply chain. Obviously a market they could clean up at half the price of the legalised robbery currently at play in MAXXIS commercial department.

BadlyWiredDog

I cannot understand why Spesh don’t bring the tyres in. It’s not like it’s shipping 10,000 bikes or anything. Surely can’t be too costly to get them in the disty/LBS supply chain. Obviously a market they could clean up at half the price of the legalised robbery currently at play in MAXXIS commercial department.

Yes, they could clean-up, there must be at least 20 people riding 650b+ these days… You have to think the market simply isn’t big enough to make it worth their while. And ironically, it’s probably because it’s not like shippig 10,000 bikes. If it were, they’d probably do it.

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers Al.

My i35 rims arrived today, just waiting on some hubs, then I will drop in and have a play with that chronicle of yours if it’s still available. And then maybe wander down the road to NDT to see what might work on the rear wheel with an 35mm internal rim…

Alex

Stoner – sure. Let me know when tho as out this week mostly/hols next.

BWD – lots* of plus bikes in the 2017 ranges. Dunno maybe we’ll all be back riding 26+ next year so no point in fanning this particular niche…

* although probably not as a % of total MTBs

gauss1777
    Free Member

Apologies if this seems like a hijack. I went out on my new Longitude (late 2016 model) at the weekend and I was loving it. It feels heavy to lift, but rides sweetly.
    However, I got a puncture from a thorn. On fixing it was clear there is little if any puncture protection with the WTB trailblazers. So I was thinking of trying tubeless, which I’ve not done before. This thread has me worried though that that might not be enough. So, some basic questions:
    1. Will tubeless help?
    2. How can I determine what other tyres will fit, without physically trying?
    3. Any general tips/thoughts?- I was planning on using the bike for general riding (nothing too gnar) and some off road touring; so a tyre that rolls well and could cope with quite a few miles.

Thanks.

BadlyWiredDog

BWD – lots* of plus bikes in the 2017 ranges. Dunno maybe we’ll all be back riding 26+ next year so no point in fanning this particular niche…

* although probably not as a % of total MTBs

I dunno, my local bike shop has had a 650b+ Orbea in the window for six months now, they haven’t sold one of the things. Don’t get me wrong, I think they work really well, but right now I suspect it’s a pretty small market in the UK at least. I doubt Specialized do anything on a small scale, ironically it’s almost certainly easier from their point of view to ship vast quantities of product rather than small batches.

I can’t believe that larger tyres really cost that much more to produce anyway, I guess it’s a case of a mix of paying off initial tooling costs and market forces. Anyway, don’t buy WTB’s lightweight casings regardless is my take on it. Clearly their strategy is to charge less initially, but sell you two or three of the things every month to make up for it… 😉

BadlyWiredDog

However, I got a puncture from a thorn. On fixing it was clear there is little if any puncture protection with the WTB trailblazers. So I was thinking of trying tubeless, which I’ve not done before. This thread has me worried though that that might not be enough. So, some basic questions:
    1. Will tubeless help?

It’ll help with thorn flats, but it won’t stop the painfully thin WTB sidewalls from exploding if you wave a rock in their general direction.

2. How can I determine what other tyres will fit, without physically trying?

There are some threads on mtbr.com with comparative bead to bead measurements of + tyres as a starting point, but Trailblazers are quite narrow in the tread to suit 29er clearances. The carcasse of a 2.8 Schwalbe, for example, is comparable, but the fact they have side knobs may means it won’t fit if clearances are tight with a TB. I found a 2.8 Rocket Ron was slightly wider because of this, but just about fits.

3. Any general tips/thoughts?- I was planning on using the bike for general riding (nothing too gnar) and some off road touring; so a tyre that rolls well and could cope with quite a few miles.

Trailblazers are decent rear tyres if you;re not riding on rocky stuff and don’t mind occasional sideways moments, but awful up front. The 2.8 Nobby Nic / Rocket Ron combo is decently fast rolling but gives a fair bit more grip. Everything else seems to cost loads and/or be unavailable…

I ran a Nic on the front and a TB out back quite happily till I holed the sidewall again… I guess it depends on where you’re based and riding and whether you want your front tyre to grip at all.

Alex

@BWD – nothing to disagree with there. Maybe we’ve reached ‘changed fatigue’, I wasn’t in the market for a new bike really until I tried the chubby. I expect tho I don’t fit into any bike buying demographic other than ‘gullible idiot’ 😉

BadlyWiredDog

I anticipate a future of modular mix and match wheel size horror where mountain bikers desperately wrestle with the pros and cons of plus and minus size tyres in different diameters to suit specific trails and ‘need’ an arsenal of tyres costing upwards of £200 each. It’ll be great. For the tyre companies anyway…

I don’t think we’re any more gullible than any of other countless million victims of neoliberal consumerism though 🙂

gauss1777
    Free Member

Thanks BWD, food for thought. You put the Rocket Ron at the back? – what bike?

muggomagic

The Purgatory with the GRID casing is just starting to appear in the US now and looking at the plus forum on MTBR it seems they are like hens teeth in the states at the moment. I don’t think this is a case of Specialized not bothering with the UK due to potential sales, it might be down to how the ordering and delivery of component lines are done between US and Europe. I blame Brexit.

Anyway the Purg GRID gets the thumbs up from leelikesbikes

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I anticipate a future of modular mix and match wheel size horror where mountain bikers desperately wrestle with the pros and cons of plus and minus size tyres in different diameters to suit specific trails and ‘need’ an arsenal of tyres costing upwards of £200 each.

Yep, meanwhile the rest of us will just ride 🙂 the 2.5″ Minion and 2.4″Ardent Combo still has amazing levels of grip – people should really try them, they will be the next big thing 😉 Corner like it’s on rails, run and normal pressures not the puncture inducing 12psi that seems to not work for people. Sidewall protection and under 1Kg in weight whats not to like?? Give it a month and I’ll probably swap for the same.

BadlyWiredDog

Thanks BWD, food for thought. You put the Rocket Ron at the back? – what bike?

It’s a Sonder Transmitter, but a proto frame so may have less room at the rear than the production one, not sure. Brant would probably know.

The Ron seems like a pretty good alternative to the TB as a rear tyre, more rounded profile with edge knobs means it’s slightly wider, but the Snakeskin sidewalls seem tougher and it’s grippier all round, but pretty much as quick I think,

muggomagic

2.5 minions under 1kg?

For the record the 3 different plus size tyres I’ve used have all been fine and (I’m probably tempting fate here) no punctures

jam-bo

if you are going to play the luddite card then I’m guessing you are still rolling on 26″…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah freaky isn’t it. Not in the habit of niche chasing so the next bike will probably be 650 or 29.

singlespeedstu

Yep, meanwhile the rest of us will just ride the 2.5″ Minion and 2.4″Ardent Combo still has amazing levels of grip – people should really try them, they will be the next big thing

No where near the same level of grip when I run that combo in my High tower. Rekon+ back and front works so much better.
    May be try them back to back before giving your expert view. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

When somebody manages to overtake me on one I’ll give it a go…

singlespeedstu

A legend in your own lunchtime. 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well honestly when I feel like it’s the tyres that are letting me down I’ll let you know. At the moment it’s not and swapping them for heavier and weaker options makes no sense. Got to see first hand what the hightower is capable of in its 29r setup it was impressive. Not seen anyone bringing along plus to any serious enduro’s etc so what are the real benefits?

singlespeedstu

The main advantage for me is I’ve actually tried both and 9times out of 10 choose to use the bike with my + wheels in.
    I’m obviously not a pro doing serious enduro like you though..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m not but I look at my riding and what I’m lacking, grip ain’t normally one of those things, when it is it’s mostly down to poor technique. The main thing that is holding me back at the moment after fitness is a level of commitment which is a mental thing. I don’t have the cash to throw at new bikes at the moment but still not seen enough positives for the riding I like to even bother considering one.

muggomagic

Anyway sorry to take this thread back to tyres rather than how awesome you are Mike.

Just had a response from Schwalbe about the apex casing tyres. Looks like they will be arriving in the shops soon for 3.0 variants, and early 2017 for 2.8s

Thank you for the message and your interest in the new Schwalbe X-One tires. We currently expect them to be available as following:

27.5×2.8 Nobby Nic APX PSC: Early 2017
    27.5×2.8 Nobby Nic APX TSC: Early 2017
    27.5×3.0 Nobby Nic APX PSC: week 44 (Europe)
    27.5×3.0 Nobby Nic APX TSC: week 36 (Europe)

Please make sure you pre-order the tire at your local bikeshop in order to get it as soon as possible. For detailed information about availability please contact your local bike shop or Schwalbe distributor.

singlespeedstu

What’s the difference between tsc and psc?

muggomagic

trailstar compound is grippier, pacestar is less so. I generally run a trailstar front and pacestar rear

muggomagic

and an update from Maxxis

The Minion DHF is now available for dealers so it’s a case of calling round your local Maxxis stockists and reserving.

mccraque

Horrified to see that my WTB Trailblazer has developed a few threads on the side walls…I am guessing from where it is bashing the carcass against the chainstay on hard corners. It’s done 800 miles (and I haven’t noticed it once…but is def happening as the chainstay is missing some paint too)

I’ve never noticed this when riding. I don’t want to run it rock hard and lose the benefits of the traction.

Wheels are taught. Pretty sure it’s just tyre roll.

So…has anyone run anything non cheese like in the rear of a Cotic Solaris? Cotic say you can squeeze a 2.8 in, but the trailblazer isn’t the biggest and I am still having issues….

Help!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 338 total)

The topic ‘27.5+ 2.8 tyres – anything with a sidewall not made of cheese?’ is closed to new replies.