• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • outofbreath
    Free Member

Nothing much to do with forthcoming GE which is likely to be a Brexit proxy.

100pc agree. Sorry for the de-railing. 🙁

cromolyolly
    Free Member

ve got a list of historic tax rates for cheese for this year [1] and I’ve got a list of cheese revenue numbers. How do I describe/present them in a way that suits you?

If I want to say “64pc cheese tax give us peak revenue on the laffer curve” what terminology *should* I be using and what chart should I use to show the data graphically.

You could use a demand curve, or simply graph tax percentage vs revenue. The correlation will be evident.

Just say a 64% cheese tax maximises revenue. Unless you are trying to get hired by a supply side economist. Then just say Laffer, and wink.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Ok, so what do I use if I shouldn’t be using a laffer curve.

I’ve got a list of historic tax rates for cheese for this year [1] and I’ve got a list of cheese revenue numbers. How do I describe/present them in a way that suits you?

If I want to say “64pc cheese tax give us peak revenue on the laffer curve” what terminology *should* I be using and what chart should I use to show the data graphically.

A graph can.

John 11:35.

So this whole argument has been that people don’t think a line on a chart of revenue against unit tax level should be called a Laffer Curve.

You have no problem with data based decision, or the line being drawn form the data or the concept of working out revenue, you just prefer it to be described as “a graph” rather than a Laffer Curve. …and that was worth an evening of our lives wasted squabbling.

I shall henceforth refer to the hypothetical Laffer Curve as Laffer Curve and specific instances of it as ‘A line on a graph’ and we’ll all be happy.

Just say a 64% cheese tax maximises revenue.

Trust me I will. After tonight I will never say “64pc is the sweet spot on on Laffer Curve”. It’s not worth a whole wasted Friday night.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Nothing much to do with forthcoming GE which is likely to be a Brexit proxy.

Dunno. The whole Brexit thing seems to based on a whole lot of hypothetical economic BS and voodoo. If voters had been a bit more open to actual economic facts and less inclined to believe ideological driven economic drivel, we might not even be having this election.
    If they genuinely fought this GE on the basis that it is a Brexit proxy and judged that on facts I doubt the polls would be predicting what they are.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

You have no problem with data based decision, or the line being drawn form the data or the concept of working out revenue, you just prefer it to be described as “a graph” r

No, I absolutely want this. More of it, whenever possible, data driven decision making. Yes. Please.

I don’t really care what you call the Laffer curve as long as it includes BS, bunk, junk science, discredited and wrong. Not a graph, a drawing with no artistic value. A veritable economic BoJo.

outofbreath
    Free Member

No, I absolutely want this. More of it, whenever possible, data driven decision making. Yes. Please.

Me too & we’re 100pc happy with me picking 64pc on my “cheese tax revenue graph” which I will not refer to as the sweet spot on the laffer curve. I could even pick 34pc or 84pc on the graph[1] for political reasons and take the revenue hit.

I’m cool with that. I really don’t care about terminology.

Life is sweet.

[1] Which is not a laffer curve. Absolutely not.

EDIT: Hilariously 12 hours ago I said this:

If working out the highest revenue base on the laffer curve is wrong, what mechanism *should* be used to calculate optimum tax take? I’m all ears because AFAICT anything you can suggest will just be the laffer curve with a different name!

..and 12 hours later it’s ended with us literally agreeing that we’re all ok with using the laffer curve, just with a different name. 😀

cromolyolly
    Free Member

graph[1]

[1] Which is not a laffer curve. Absolutely not.

..and 12 hours later it’s ended with us literally agreeing that we’re all ok with using the laffer curve, just with a different name

See now I thought you’d go it and then you put words in my mouth. A graph is a picture made by plotting data points. The shape can usually be described by a formula.

A laffer curve is a doodle on a napkin with no connection to data whatsoever.

Not a different name – an entirely different thing.

frankconway

YAWN.
    Have not heard any reference to Laffer from any of the many politicos who have been spraying their bullshit all over the media.
    You two – oob & chromy – are in your personal echo chamber.
    You’re welcome.

Northwind

outofbreath

So this whole argument has been that people don’t think a line on a chart of revenue against unit tax level should be called a Laffer Curve.

No. The argument has been that the Laffer Curve is not a chart of revenue against unit tax level.If you were to chart revenue against unit tax level, you wouldn’t get a Laffer Curve- you’d get a Nonlafferian Squiggle With Weird Bits.

Put it a different way- they didn’t take that revenue chart and attach the name “Laffer Curve” to it- they’re two distinct and different things.

You’re attached to your cheese tax but really, that’s the extent of oversimplification you have to go to before the Laffer Curve gets close to reality, and even then it fails- the real world numbers wouldn’t yield anything like his curve

But it was invented specifically in reaction to Gerald Ford’s proposed 5% increases on corporation tax, and income tax for individuals earning over $150000 per year (at the time, equivalent to 14 times the average household income- so equivalent to $8250000 today) How closely do you think economic behaviour in those 2 categories resembles your cheese tax?

(there’s a distinction here that I think you might not have appreciated; just as the Laffer Curve doesn’t map the actual relationship between taxation and revenue, the concept of that a tax raise will not always lead to a tax income increase is not the same as the Laffer Curve. The Laffer Curve is an attempt to take that concept and force it into a convenient shape, without regards to the actual numbers. Dismissing the Laffer Curve doesn’t mean throwing away the concept that was its springboard, it only means accepting that this specific rendition of that concept doesn’t work. You’ve conflated the two a fair bit in your posts.)

Where I started with this was pointing out that it’s always been a tool to promote tax cuts. The history proves that’s the case, but if you do still doubt it- can you find a single case where anyone in a position of power has invoked the Laffer Curve to argue for a tax hike? And can you find a single case where Laffer or his disciples looked at a tax rate and decided that actually, it was too low? For that matter, can you find any case where Laffer recommended a tax cut, it was applied, and revenues increased?

Reaganomics and the Kansas experiment are spectacular examples of the opposite, and Trump’s tax cuts are going to be the example people point at in 10 years if this thread’s still running, but where are Laffer’s victories?

(he probably considers the Kansas experiment a victory tbh; it didn’t work out according to his theory, and it did enormous harm to the economy and the people of Kansas… but it did result in a tax cut for rich people, which is exactly where he came in)

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Always thought it was called the Smiley Curve for EQing Hi-Fi audio so that it sounded nice.

Then there’s the bathtub for manufactured products reliability 🙂

outofbreath
    Free Member

The argument has been that the Laffer Curve is not a chart of revenue against unit tax level.

Yes it is. X axis is rate of a given tax. Y axis is revenue at that rate.

Anyway it doesn’t matter because we’re all happy now. You’re happy because I’m not calling a graph of rate against revenue a laffer curve and I’m happy because I have way of calculating/saying what I want to describe that meets with your approval which is *very* important to me.

Northwind

outofbreath

Yes it is. X axis is rate of a given tax. Y axis is revenue at that rate.

No, it isn’t. That’s the entire point. If you did plot those numbers, you don’t get the Laffer Curve- you get a chart of tax and revenue. They are not the same thing. It’s not about the name, it’s about what these two different things are

I think maybe this entire argument/conversation, is because of this misunderstanding? Laffer wasn’t modelling anything, he wasn’t charting anything. It’s not a name for a chart of tax and revenue, it’s a statement of what he thinks that chart looks like, without evidence.

So, I say the Laffer Curve was invented in 1974. As you say, the concept was much older, Laffer says the same. He didn’t invent the concept, he invented this particular interpretation to make an argument for tax cuts.

So, your cheese tax. Actual economics would be based on researching or modelling the figures and drawing that chart of cheese tax and cheese tax revenue. That’s fine, but it’s not a Laffer Curve. The Laffer Cheese Curve would be based on drawing a line on a napkin, to support your personal belief that the cheese tax is too high, and also you’re doing it for a cheese maker. If they’re the same, it’s by miraculous coincidence.

Your understanding of the concepts is absolutely spot on but your understanding of the Laffer Curve itself isn’t. And I think that’s because you’re a rational person, and you expect people to act based on numbers and evidence, and it just doesn’t really make any sense that presidents act on an economic theory that isn’t, and that has never delivered on its claims

It’s not about my approval- it really is just about the reality of it. The Laffer Curve isn’t what you think it is. It’s why trying to work out where the best crossover of tax and revenue is, based on facts, is a good idea- but letting Art Laffer do it for you is an awful idea.

kelvin

The Laffer Curve posits that revenue and tax rate are related in a particular way… to say the Laffer Curve was nonsense dreamt up to support a political objective isn’t to claim that revenue and tax rate are not related at all, or to claim raising tax rates can reduce the revenue generated. No one has ever plotted tax rate against revenue using real figures and produced a Laffer Curve… most attempts show jumps, thresholds and regions of little change… which is as you’d expect given the existence of competitors for investment and retail for whatever you choose to investigate, and that, you’re measuring the effect of two different things… the elasticity of both those buying or investing, and those producing or selling.

Northwind

See, that explains in one post what I’ve spent 2 pages failing to get across 🙂

kelvin

I tried very hard not to use the word elasticity to keep it as simple as possible. But failed. The important thing was that Laffer was suggesting a simple relationship that suited his ends, and that he just pulled of his arse. Of course tax revenue changes as the tax rate changes, and tax rate increases can map to revenue reduction, but they don’t do so in a way that forms a Laffer Curve.

kelvin

A quick addition; in the UK, timing matters. Revenue often increases between the announcement or suggestion of an increase on the way, and its introduction. It’s also why reductions aren’t normally signposted by the treasury, because if they are, they result in a decrease in revenue before they are introduced. But this can mess your lovely little simple graphs up, because the knowledge or expectation of a tax change can mean that the effect of that change on revenue can be more keenly felt before it happens. For example, if comparing revenue for a tax and the tax rate, both over the same time period, there can be a rise in tax revenue before a tax rise, and a fall after it… this can be interpreted by some to mean that the tax rise reduced revenue, where as what it has really done is bring some of the revenue in earlier.

grahamt1980

Shall we start another thread on the election and leave this one to the armchair economists?

kerley
    Free Member

This is the sort of detail all the voters will be looking at before deciding whose policies are best for the economy. You can be sure of that.

outofbreath
    Free Member

If you did plot those numbers, you don’t get the Laffer Curve- you get a chart of tax and revenue. They are not the same thing

Sound plausible, but on the other hand we don’t change the name of a supply/demand chart when we move from abstract to estimates so I’m sceptical and google hasn’t helped me so linky please.

Where I started with this was pointing out that it’s always been a tool to promote tax cuts.

Well duh! If you’re arguing for a tax raises you pretend tax revenue for that thing is 100pc in-elastic so you don’t mentioning the graph. If you’re arguing to cut a tax you pretend revenue is *really* elastic so you do mention the graph.

I got up before light and went out on my bike this morning, just got back. I nearly had a very serious off into some very unfriendly scenery because I was thinking about ****ing Laffer Curves when I should have been thinking about where I was putting my front wheel! I’m still shaking now. Time for a sweet tea and a sit down.

kimbers

Back OT

Even the daftest leavers won’t be voting for farage this time

(And I predict he won’t be running in all seats anyway)

jjprestidge
    Free Member

All this argument ignores the fact that economists have been universally useless at predicting anything. Remember economists in the 70s telling companies that they needed to be diversified conglomerates to survive? Or the disastrous reliance on supply side economics in the 80s? There are innumerable other examples.

JP

oldnpastit

My employer is based in California. I don’t think there would be any objection if I wanted to move nearer the head office (modulo getting a visa); I would win in some ways (amazing cycling, no more late night conference calls) and lose in others (terrifying health care if you lose your job) but there is surely a tax rate that could be set at which the choice would be clear.

I don’t imagine I’m unique in this respect.

tjagain

I think Farage is serious about standing in most constituencies and that will really damage the tories badly.

I am now thinking well over a hundred seats to the smaller parties and a hung parliament.

scotroutes

there is surely a tax rate that could be set at which the choice would be clear.

Is it really tax rate that matters most? I’d have thought it was more to do with standard of living and balance of income over expenditure.

oldnpastit

Is it really tax rate that matters most? I’d have thought it was more to do with standard of living and balance of income over expenditure.

*looks out of window at grey skies and drizzle*

If that were the case I’d have moved to California years ago!

BadlyWiredDog

I think Farage is serious about standing in most constituencies and that will really damage the tories badly.

I don’t think anything at the moment is that simple, even things that look vaguely plausible. In my constituency – High Peak – a grassroots, FB-based campaign in 2017 was partly responsible for kicking out the ghastly Tory MP and we now have an excellent, genuinely local constituency Labour MP. The Lib Dems got about 5% of the vote – the then candidate is now a Tory, go figure.

Fast forward to 2019 and there’s a new Lib Dem candidate parachuted in from Europe where he’s worked as a journalist and for large international companies. He seems to have no local links bar riding and walking local routes, he seems to think this is a genuine connection, I’d call it being a tourist but there you go.

What does it mean in a seat which swung 7% to Labour in 2017 with a majority of around 2,300? Well, maybe the Lib Dem candidate takes hardcore remain votes from Labour and lets the Tories in? Or maybe he attracts Tory remainer voters who would never vote Labour, but don’t want to support Boris. Or maybe he does a bit of both and that nullifies his impact.

On top of that, the Tory candidate – parachuted in from Manchester last year – seems genuinely unpleasant and already hell-bent on negative campaigning against the sitting MP rather than putting forward any sort of positive policy arguments.

What would a Brexit Party candidate do? Potentially I guess, take some votes from Tory leavers, but also maybe Labour leavers who won’t ever vote for a Boris Johnson Tory party?

And are people going to vote on the basis of their Brexit views? Or wider issues? Or local issues and personality?

The bottom line here is that FPP means that voting anything other than Labour simply means facilitating a Tory win. Hopefully people are bright enough to realise that – they were in 2017 – but equally leavers can presumably do the math and realise that voting for the Brexit Party undermines the Tory vote.

And that’s just one constituency. Sure, it would nice if there were a formalised remain agreement and the Lib Dems stood down, but equally people can make that decision for themselves. Overall though, it’s not a remotely straightforward situation and it’ll vary in different areas.

oldnpastit

It will be great news for the Tories if Farage manages to put forward some candidates, because Johnson can then claim that the Tory party is once again the party of the sensible, moderate, centre-right voter, compared to the loons from BXP Ltd.

outofbreath
    Free Member

(And I predict he won’t be running in all seats anyway)

I suspect you might be right.

If not, it’s hard to work out what they’re playing at. Would the BP would rather have remain than the current deal? Or does the Brexit Party think that their niche as a party and their EU jobs evaporate if Brexit happens and are actually secret remainers for that reason? Or has he set up so much party machinery that he feels he has to give all his potential MPs a run out?

Be very strange if the BP stop Brexit.

It just goes to show that in the modern world campaigning for the party you support isn’t always the best option. For instance with so few party members it’s often better to infiltrate a local party assn you want to scupper with a few mates and select a crap parliamentary candidate for them. Local party membership is so low entryism is really practical.

belfastflyer
    Free Member
    v8ninety

It will be great news for the Tories if Farage manages to put forward some candidates, because Johnson can then claim that the Tory party is once again the party of the sensible, moderate, centre-right voter

Problem is, the Tories rely on not just the ‘sensible, moderate, centre right, but also the ‘far right/xenophobic/easily lead by the meeja’ vote in combination to achieve a majority.

outofbreath
    Free Member

What does it mean in a seat which swung 7% to Labour in 2017 with a majority of around 2,300? Well, maybe the Lib Dem candidate takes hardcore remain votes from Labour and lets the Tories in? Or maybe he attracts Tory remainer voters who would never vote Labour, but don’t want to support Boris. Or maybe he does a bit of both and that nullifies his impact.

What would a Brexit Party candidate do? Potentially I guess, take some votes from Tory leavers, but also maybe Labour leavers who won’t ever vote for a Boris Johnson Tory party?

Both the main parties are going to haemorrhage voters to both the Libdems and BP in different and often unpredictable ratios.

And are people going to vote on the basis of their Brexit views? Or wider issues? Or local issues and personality?

Some local friends campaigned in the Local Elections over a highly significant local issue. On the door step literally all people wanted to talk about on the doorstep was Brexit. This is in *local* elections where a clear threat to to their day to day happiness looming and where the candidates have zero influence over Brexit.

So based on that I predict that Brexit will overwhelmingly dominate this election although the two main parties will try to avoid that. Which shows how polarised we’ve all become, before the Ref nobody really seemed to GAF about the EU.

v8ninety

Farage must be ready to follow through with his threat in order to have a bargaining position that will be taken seriously by the Tories. He’s got o go through the motions of splitting the brexit vote in order to persuade the Tories to talk to him. If Brexit happens without him being a key player in it, he’s finished. It’s in his personal interests to oppose ANY version of brexit that he has not been involved with, as continuing this farce is elongating his career and earnings.

kelvin

Look, neither Farage or Johnson give a shit about Brexit, it is a tool to achieve their own ends… they are looking after number one… and no, not all politicians are the same, these two are apex level self serving pricks, don’t fall into the trap of thinking either is pure to any cause broader than “me”.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Farage must be ready to follow through with his threat in order to have a bargaining position that will be taken seriously by the Tories. He’s got o go through the motions of splitting the brexit vote in order to persuade the Tories to talk to him. If Brexit happens without him being a key player in it, he’s finished.

I quite like that theory, maybe that’s it. I don’t think a National party could countenance failing to contend every mainland seat. Smaller parties can do that but it’s a bad look for a National Party so I guess no deal will be forthcoming.

If that’s the plan maybe Farage will back down at the last minute, the alternative is the BP becomes a defacto anti-Brexit party. Nice to see Farage in a tight spot after he’s put all the other parties in tight spots.

outofbreath
    Free Member

neither Farage or Johnson give a shit about Brexit

Boris yes, he’s an out and out remainer. I read a Bio of him years ago and even then when he’d built a journalistic career out of trashing the EU the evidence was ovewhelming that he had massive affection for the EU. His Dad was an MEP and worked for the European Commission. The EU is Boris’s hinterland.

Farage no. He is genuine, IMHO. (Which doesn’t mean he wouldn’t sacrifice something he really believed in for significant personal gain, how many of us wouldn’t?)

EDIT: I’m not sure hinterland means what I think it does. I can’t be arsed to think of a better word. Hopefully the context makes it clear. 😀

binners

Got to agree with Kelvin. This is being fuelled by the man-frogs gargantuan ego. He just can’t stand not being the centre of attention.

It’s obvious he’s seeing himself as some kind of kingmaker in a hung parliament With him front and centre, grinning away on every news broadcast

I don’t care what his motivation is, I just hope he splits the Brexiteer bell end vote to deliver more seats to labour and deny a Tory majority

chewkw
    Free Member

Boris yes, he’s an out and out remainer.

Yes, we know that long time ago but just want to see how good a trick he can come up with for entertainment sake.

Also I want to see in my lifetime a main political party(s) to be decimated from British politics or history. For the moment and as far as my crystal ball forecast is concerned they are just about on course for that to happen. Good fun and good laugh.

Farage no. He is genuine, IMHO.

He is genuine.
    I support him by voting for the party he is in.

nick1962
    Free Member

I don’t care what his motivation is, I just hope he splits the Brexiteer bell end vote to deliver more seats to labour and deny a Tory majority

Which ironically would more than likely keep him in his well paid MEP job and maintain his high profile whilst berating all and sundry with his betrayal of the referendum result and anti EU rantings .
    A Tory majority and Brexit would see him out of a job and out of the limelight.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Farrage is in this for one thing (himself basically).

I suspect he’ll go for MP in the best chance constituency he can find, but to achieve this he has to do a ‘deal’ with the Tories so they don’t go up against him. Possibly if they realise people in the North might not vote Tory regardless, the Conservatives will maybe ‘forge’t to put a candidate up for that seat. And in return Farrage will throw the rest of his party under the bus (see what i did there…).

rone

Libdemmers running away with it.

(Random poll insignificance… But middle ground will almost certainly ebb away and I’m sticking with that prediction.)

Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.