Home Forums Chat Forum 2015-16 rugby, world cup year

• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 5,961 through 6,000 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • wrecker
    Free Member

Didn’t hit him in the face though did he?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    wrecker
    Free Member

No he didn’t! He strunk him with his elbow. Look at where his elbow stops. It was nowhere near his face.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stop defending the punchy racist.

Deserved a yellow for that, and a big ban (4 weeks starting tarrif ) for racism. Heat of the moment is no excuse.

wrecker
    Free Member

Piss off. Just because you’re salty at getting beaten, stop deflecting with faux offense. Lee wasn’t offended but you are outraged? A bloke gets a pretty pathetic elbow to the chest and you’re calling for citings?
    I’m not sure rugby is for you.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nothing to do with being beaten off the park by a better team on the day, and only remembering to play for about ten minutes.

No need to resort of telling me to piss off, thanks.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Didn’t hit him in the face though did he?

What do you reckon he was trying to do (if you’ve watched O’Flashearty’s linked vine)?

EDIT: I see you’ve already kinda answered that.

As for “heat of the moment” regarding his “gypsy” comment – not a great excuse. Don’t all these things happen in the “heat of the moment”?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Stop defending the punchy racist.
    Deserved a yellow for that, and a big ban (4 weeks starting tarrif ) for racism. Heat of the moment is no excuse.

4 weeks isn’t a big ban though is it? I’m surprised he didn’t get ban mainly because of the stink that’s been kicked up by MP’s, campaigners etc. What was said by Lee must have been taken into account.

wrecker
    Free Member

Marler will likely get a ban, and I’m certainly not going to cry about it. I made my view pretty clear earlier on the thread, I don’t think it’s racist but I do think it was inappropriate. What irks is the faux outrage by (weirdly enough) welsh fans when the man himself wasn’t bothered. It’s just deflection to ease the pain of a loss. Sledging happens in rugby. A player was recently fined for calling someone “faggot”. Marler will get what’s coming to him but that elbow was pathetic.

Bear
    Free Member

I’m not sure either of his actions are particularly defendable. Both are brain dead, both are in the heat of the moment, but that doesn’t make it excusable.

The whole name calling thing is getting blown up too much, Gatland for his credit tried to defuse it and has been dragged into it. They need to act, issue him with a suitable ban and possibly some work within the community.

One of the reasons rugby is a great game is it’s efforts at ridding foul and cynical play, that must continue.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s just deflection to ease the pain of a loss

No. It’s not. It’s really not. It’s about wanting rugby to retain the high standards which make it the sport it is.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Marler will get what’s coming to him but that elbow was pathetic.

I was pretty sure he’s getting nothing at all.

A player was recently fined for calling someone “faggot”.

If you’re referring to Poitgetier (sp?), funnily enough, he used the “heat of the moment excuse” as well. AU$10000 fine and another 10000 suspended but not match ban. Maybe Marler was taking notes?

peteimpreza

DD has it , no sanction for either incident .

He can play on Saturday .

wrecker
    Free Member

Capt, you cannot really be that wounded by this. It’s pathetic. It’s a long, long way from the biggest travesty in rugby. It’s a long was from the biggest travesty in rugby this year.
    Now excuse me gentlemen, my little angel had me up at 0500hrs (which might explain my somewhat grouchy outlook) so I’m off to put myself to bed.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Racism has no place in sport. That you choose to disagree is up to you. Wrong, but up to you.

wrecker
    Free Member

Except it’s not racism (IMHO).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Your HO is wrong.

wrecker
    Free Member

Nope

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Gatts and Lee are two lucky boys getting away with such an irresponsible use of the term banter. What is rugby coming to. The players sorted it out among themselves at half time. Appalling behaviour

dantsw13

Wouldn’t only a red card offence be a ban? The citing officer judged Marlers hit to be a pen/poss yellow only, so no further action.

For the gypsy comment, I’m surprised an example wasn’t made. I imagine Lee’s statement made a big difference.

zokes
    Free Member

I imagine Lee’s statement made a big difference.

Given that the ‘victim’ has effectively said “we sorted it out like adults, but thanks for your concern”, I would suspect so.

While far from a perfect outcome, I do think it’s preferable to an alternative where Lee whined about it in the press for days and a huge ban was handed out to someone who tried to rectify the issue as soon as he realised there was a problem. You don’t need a sledgehammer to crack every walnut…

The fact it was potentially racist has been highlighted. In immediately apologising and also being reprimanded by his management, it has also been dealt with quickly and effectively. The potential penalty for any future racist offence has been highlighted as a deterrent.

duckman

Just wheel out the chippy loser defence Wrecker! Oh hang on;you did.

anagallis_arvensis

Lee wouldnt whine about it in the press as he never ever speaks to them. What concerns me is that he would say he’s not bothered just to continue his quiet life.
    As for the elbow what pisses me off is its an obvious elbow seen by many at the time and missed by the blind idiot who was the video ref. It should have seen Marler binned. Cole should have been awarded the try and then have it removed due to Marler being a **** and had him sent to have 10 mins rest.

How Francis only got a pen against him given the discussions between the video ref and ref is a mystery too.

Pigface
    Free Member

Wrecker you let yourself down there.

Amazed he got away with the forearm, prone player and seemed to be unprovoked. If you are now allowed to do that then and it appears you are then the game is going badly wrong.

onehundredthidiot

It’ll be joubert. I’ll wager he’s been told to look at things carefully and err on the side of caution if in doubt review it later when someone can hold his hand through complicated bits. Was pretty much the pattern through the game.

Punch was pathetic just means French front row know who to niggle to get a reaction.

anagallis_arvensis

I do think it’s preferable to an alternative where Lee whined about it in the press for days and a huge ban was handed out to someone who tried to rectify the issue

Is this not just classic victim blaming a bit like dont rock the boat about drugs in cycling or you shouldnt wear short skirts or its just banter?

Had a welsh player said hey black boy to Itoje they would have been rightly punished. It says a lot about Marler that the question of ethnicity was at the front of his mind. If I was brave enough to try and get Lee to lamp me I’d call him a fat **** because I am slightly fatist

wrecker
    Free Member

Had a welsh player said hey black boy to Itoje they would have been rightly punished.

There is a massive difference between being racially abused and being abused due to a lifestyle, or did I miss the bit about traveller history where they were sold into slavery, murdered, burned and segregated, and in some cases still are now?
    Sorry but there is a world of difference between the two, like really huge.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

due to a lifestyle

Ooops.

or did I miss the bit about traveller history where they were sold into slavery, murdered, burned and segregated, and in some cases still are now?

As someone who seems to come across normally as intelligent and balanced, I think you need to reassess what constitutes race.

Twodogs

or did I miss the bit about traveller history where they were sold into slavery, murdered, burned and segregated, and in some cases still are now?

You might want to look at what happened to the Romany community in Europe in the 2nd World War….

ads678

Oh well, 172 pages of rugby banter don’t let it end up like every other thread on stw.

What tyres for ism’s and crap punches on a rugby pitch!!

DanW
    Free Member

I think the disciplinary discussion about Marler went something like “c’mon chaps there’s a Grand Slam on dontcha know… when will be the next time they get a chance….. and do we even know who the replacement is… best sort this from around 10pm on Saturday… if at all”

Punch was pathetic just means French front row know who to niggle to get a reaction.

This was my first thought too. If we see them get punished for similar things then can we officially rename “New Zealand rules” ;)

duckman

A quick Wiki suggests that there are 800,000 Romani in Brazil, BRAZIL?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

“c’mon chaps there’s a Grand Slam on dontcha know… when will be the next time they get a chance….. and do we even know who the replacement is… best sort this from around 10pm on Saturday… if at all. Now, are there any more of those spiffing biscuits?”

You missed a bit.

Pigface
    Free Member
    Twodogs

I do think saying it’s OK cos it was in the heat of the moment is an odd reason for not sanctioning.

Anyway, anyone else disappointed that Gatland hasn’t taken the chance to bring more young players in for the Italy game? The next World Cup is just around the corner…..

wrecker
    Free Member

For the record we are not talking about Romany here.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I do think saying it’s OK cos it was in the heat of the moment is an odd reason for not sanctioning.

To be fair, we’ve all twatted somebody and followed it up with a bit of ethnic abuse in the heat of the moment.

zokes
    Free Member

Is this not just classic victim blaming

No, it’s classic A_A can’t quite bring himself to agree with me.

Sure, he definitely shouldn’t have said it. He apologised at the earliest opportunity, and was also bollocked by his boss for it. The apology was accepted. What’s the point of punitive action if the matter is already resolved?

Have you never ever said anything you later regretted?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Sure, he definitely shouldn’t have said it. He apologised at the earliest opportunity, and was also bollocked by his boss for it. The apology was accepted. What’s the point of punitive action if the matter is already resolved?

Have you never ever said anything you later regretted?

Yeas, but the press and ‘campaigners’ need something to latch on and create a massive storm. It wasn’t big and clever, but it appears to have been resolved like adults which was enough for the powers that be. Time to move on?

DaRC_L

At this point can we quote from Snatch? :lol:

Viewing 40 posts - 5,961 through 6,000 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.