Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • 1,007,195 Unique Users visited us in the last month
  • Mark

That’s what our Google analytics report says this morning anyway, which we’ve just published on our front page 🙂

Singletrack Breaks 1 Million Threshold

piemonster

whatever

footflaps

Impressive! Got a breakdown by page eg is it the news or forum pages that draw people in?

singletracked
    Free Member

So even after the fabled evictions, about 1,007,000 people visited and didn’t come to the forum!!

What is that as a percentage change from when the rogues were here?

Mark

Majority in the forum as it happens, in terms of page impressions at least.

Growth in the last 12 months has been from just under 600k to a million.

Nice response there Pie, let the Singletrack bashing begin 😉

scruff
    Free Member

Its folk wanting to see if the Rapha jeans / VW Transporter / Whyte PSRT4 DH bike have sold yet.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

What is a unique visitor, Mark?

Sounds good, whatever this means. Congrats!

piemonster

timing is everything

psling
    Free Member

Always wondered if I was unique, now it’s been confirmed.
    Imagine that, over a million unique people doing the same thing… 😉

mogrim

Nice response their Pie, let the Singletrack bashing begin

there, not “their”. And you’re the editor?

{No, I am. All fixed now. Chipps}

cranberry
    Free Member

Well done, but they aren’t unique – they are all middling (IT) managers with an Audi, a coffee maker and set of “chef’s” knives.

😉

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

That’s one hell of a lot of procrastinating instead of riding being done!

Mark

Unique user is an individual IP address as measured by Google (It’s not us doing any measuring). The Google report states ‘1,007,195 people visited this site…’. But I don’t say that. All that can be measured is IP addresses or in basic terms, individual computers*

* I know it’s not quite as simple as that and there’s all sorts of things that alter the numbers, like 1 IP = lots of people on a network at work or IP addresses changing each time some users login etc… But as far as the internet is concerned a Unique user is at least a reasonably standard measure that can be used to make comparisons between websites. So it’s as close an approximation to a measure of people as is generally available.

Dave
    Free Member

That’s Chipps, keep up.

richmtb

Hmm interesting and er well done

How are unique visitor figure generated?

If it’s by IP address then unless people visiting the forum have a persistent IP they would generate a unique IP address the next time they visit – no?

footflaps

Google Analytics uses Cookies to track you….

Mark

I’m not the editor… Clearly 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Unique visitors by cookie and up address? Sadly, the growth in mobile devices is making this number a bit difficult to assign weight to. I’m not sure how that one can be resolved other than by enforcing log on.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thanks Mark, my question was a genuine one. I was wondering if it referred to activity levels or other factors. That makes sense, and suggests that all is going well with STW! Good to see.

footflaps

Although as I block Google Analytics from saving Cookies and running scripts, I’ll appear as a unique visitor each time I visit 😉

Mark

Google Analytics uses Cookies to track you….

I stand corrected then. Tom’s just confirmed that too 🙂 I guess that’s better than IP addresses
    and more accurate. Bonus! I’m even happier now 🙂

RustySpanner

Can we get them all to jump up and down at the same time?

Mark

You are ALL individuals!

🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

This news makes me so angry….

Although as I block Google Analytics from saving Cookies and running scripts, I’ll appear as a unique visitor each time I visit

Likewise.

singletracked
    Free Member

Aren’t you supposed to publish your cookie policy more clearly now?

richmtb

So serious question then.

How busy does that make STW compared to similar sites.

Eg other cycling sites or wider forums in general?

sparkyrhino

95% by mistake, they were looking for singlemuslims site.always top of my search list.Should stop deleting my browser history(for manly reasons nudgenudge winkwink)

wwaswas

I’m even happier now

you’ll have to buy a new tag 😉

Well done to the stw team – you put a lot of work into the site and put up with a lot of, errrm, dissent from people on here.

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

If anyone wants to know how Google do their complex calculations.
    How Visits are Calculated in Analytics

MountainMutant
    Free Member

I’m unique four times then.

Phone/iPad/Home PC/Work PC

footflaps

IP addresses are pretty hopeless for tracking people e.g. Cambridge University has 30k students who will all share a dozen or so IPs to browse the web from college systems.

Mark

I’m even happier now

you’ll have to buy a new tag

I’m sure it’s only temporary 🙂

darrell
    Free Member

You are ALL individuals!

seemingly we are not

we are a number

etc etc

Kit
    Free Member

You are ALL individuals!

I am Robert Paulson.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Look, however it’s calculated, there are folk in wherever stw is based with erections that’ll last all week. And for that, we should be thankful.

Mark

There’s a good website to look at if you want to make comparisons..
    http://www.alexa.com

I think it’s actually owned by Google. You can make relative comparisons between any website on there.

The caveat with that site is that the stats all come from a downloaded toolbar installed on users browsers. As such the sample size will be restricted. But it’s still an interesting way to judge the traffic of a website and we’ve noticed that it does seem to match a lot of our own measured numbers too.

phil.w
    Free Member

How have you found the near doubling over the last year to have affected bounce rate, I would expect it to have gone up but what sort of percentage?

Likewise how has time on site changed?

[/analytics geek]

Gary_M
    Free Member

So if I login from home, from my iPhone and from my work PC I take it that counts as 3 ‘individual users’?

Anyway whay matters is that the figures are going in the right direction, the absolute number doesn’t matter.

Jamie
    Free Member

Look, however it’s calculated, there are folk in wherever stw is based with erections that’ll last all week. And for that, we should be thankful.

Will make for some tumescent interesting photoshoots.

So, so angry…

Mark

Bounce rate has increased by 7% over this time last year. The current rate is in the report in the story on the front page. Time on site is in there too. That has dropped by about a minute over this time last year. Again the current rate is in the report 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘1,007,195 Unique Users visited us in the last month’ is closed to new replies.