Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 402 total)
  • 100 Day Challenge – Exercise every day for 100 days til Christmas
  • sandboy

We’re both still going, the boy is really back into his biking after our week in Wales so the last 2 evenings have been round the woods after school. As it’s half way I’ve had a look on my Garmin and I’ve ridden just over 1000 miles in 50 days which averages 20 miles per day which is just above what i used to commute. This is exactly what i wanted to get back into and this challenge has pushed me out of a rut and back to something i know i really enjoy. I’m really pleased the boy has been so dedicated, we’ve had some good laughs along the way and enjoyed some hard times together including the wettest ride I’ve ever experienced on our last day in Wales. Looking forward to the next half and hoping for good health and no set backs. Keep going folks!

onehundredthidiot

Great stuff well done.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

The weather this autumn is about the worst we could have had.Anybody else hoping for a dry,frosty sunny spell?I will get out on my bike tomorrow afternoon rain or sun.Sandboy and 100th you are really impressive and inspiring,well done.

onehundredthidiot

Was trying to paste a photo but …..meh.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Oh dear,bit of a fail over here.Managed to contract the Norovirus for the weekend.The results weren’t pretty!Still, I,ve managed a couple of half hour walks,plus fetching and carrying.Hopefully over the next few days I will get back to cycling and weight training.Anybody else feeling a little done in by the last months weather?I dont know if it’s my age but I,m really feeling it.Hope it’s going well elsewhere.Neil.

onehundredthidiot

Still going but legs buckled after the weekend rides. Training peaks showing that I’m fatigued, easy run tomorrow (maybe a leg turner turbo).

jimmy

Well, I just failed. Not sure why but I just fell out of the habit and am a bit disappointed with myself. It has got me doing more, and I felt great while doing *something* every day but I just stopped for a day or so and couldn’t get going again. I feel a bit low on energy, possibly the darkness effect but intend to get back to it.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Also feeling a bit CBA today but I have a bit of a migraine and it’s awfy dark up here now.

But I get to ride my bike tonight and that’ll be fun. It will!

I’m rock climbing tomorrow, though. Indoors, which will be really lovely.

sandboy

The weather has been making it tougher than usual to get out but as usual, once you’re over the first 10 minutes you forget about the cold. The worst thing is getting soaked and then cold, unable to warm up hands and feet no matter how hard you’re pedalling. Things I’ve learned this week is it takes so much longer to get out in the winter, sorting lights and other bits and pieces you don’t need any other time and yellow lenses make the trees look stunning in low afternoon sun. The boy is still going, mostly hooping because of the weather. I know it’s only a matter of time before I’m forced into the static spin bike but I’m determined to carry on outside until the ice forces me otherwise.

DrP

i find the commute/general cycling duties are meeting teh 30+ minute target… I’ve been adding in runs/gym etc…
    Might see how i feel tonight but my throat is proper croaky and wheezy today!

DrP

munrobiker
    Free Member

Ice is a worry but by this time last year I’d already slid 50 metres on my left arse cheek along a cycle path when I slid out and this year there’s been nothing!

jimmy

I’m rock climbing tomorrow, though. Indoors, which will be really lovely.

I’m on way to Ratho now. Eden Rock is close to home, keep trying to make that regular (and failing)

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Back in the swing of things.Two hour walk yesterday and a cool but sunny cycle today
    .I need to up my game now for the final push.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Had a GREAT climbing session this week (Alien Bloc for me, though I prefer Eden Rock but that’s miles from home). Because I’m going more regularly I’ve been able to push myself and done some harder stuff. Much poorer, though – it’s twice as expensive in Edinburgh as it was when I lived in Derbyshire.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Still on it despite this being the worst autumn I can remember.In fact,its the wettest ever and most folks around me seem to be Ill.Anyway,today I,ve done some weights and stretching.Tomorrow cycling and no F—–g rain hopefully.I,d pay for a month of dry,frosty and sunny weather.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I was going to come on and post that the dry, frosty weather has finally arrived and I hope everyone’s looking forward to it! Had to take it steady on the tarmac this morning but as soon as I was off road on something gravelly it was fast and the conditions this morning were lovely!

Bought some liner gloves for my cycling gloves though, it was chuffing freezing.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Yeh…temperatures dropping like a stone here.One of the mistakes I made four weeks ago was having a severe hair and beard trim.This just before the freezing monsoon kicked in.I wonder if anyone else gets cold s after a winter hair raid? I seem to.Keep going folks,Neil.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Two thirds of the way there – well done everyone!

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I suspect the lack of posts on here is due to Ill health.I think the attrition rate has been high for this challenge.I,ll try and keep going and do an extra day I lost through Norovirus.

onehundredthidiot

Still going not feeling bad at all. Hovering at 6.5kg weight loss so now down to 68. Which is good. Climbing quicker when I get on a real bike but legs feel heavy due to no real rest, either running or riding or both in a day.

twistedpencil

Tired legs here too, though it doesn’t seem to have impacted on riding the mtb, I think my brain just overrides the feeling as it’s fun time.

Missed one day so far but shattered at the moment! Looking forward to Christmas lunch 🙂

sandboy

We’re both just about still on this, the boy has been suffering with a cold but has still managed either bouncing or hooping everyday. I’ve started to feel really fatigued and lost a bit of motivation so decided to have an easy week this week to try to recover. Most evenings I’ve taken the dog down the river, me on my fatbike for a gentle ride in the dark. Big century ride tomorrow for a mates birthday so hoping the rest has paid off.

tiim
    Free Member

Good work all – I’m still going on a mix of CX racing, turbo in the evenings and lunch running when I can find the time around calls and meetings.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Of for an hours hike along the Tees to Stockton.No rain and some sunshine.Bit if a treat I suppose.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Still doing my bit despite this nightmare autumn.My outdoor gym plan has been ruined however.Walking tonight and cycling tomorrow.At least I am not ill, unlike those around me.

sandboy

Sad to say that yesterday I didn’t manage to get out, even for 30 minutes. We were involved in an accident on our way to work, no one was injured but the shock and adrenaline took its toll and I was just too exhausted to do anything. I’m not looking at this as failure but I accept that in the terms of the challenge it is exactly that. I’ve been out tonight, after work in the pouring rain and without this challenge that would never of happened. I intended to continue every day until Christmas and have also been talked into the Festive 500 by some mates. Keep going folks.

onehundredthidiot

This week’s been tough, short staffed at work, which as a teacher means cover and planning for other classes, then meetings afterwards.
    Still managed to ride or run everyday. Albeit at lower intensity. Should manage an hour outside this afternoon (thank goodnes for 1pmfriday finishes).

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’d not regard anything as a failure – you’ve kept to the spirit of the challenge and exceptional circumstances are exceptional circumstances.

Mine’s done a bit of a u-turn in profile – I’ve started a proper training programme to get fit for the Strathpuffer so in and amongst some recover rides I’ve done some cadence range training and some hill reps.

I also took it way too seriously last weekend – we were staying with some friends so I didn’t have my bike and they were off to do a park run so I went along. I’ve run a total of 15km this year, and 0 the year before (because running is bloody awful) and did it in 22:56. No idea if that’s good or not.

jimmy

For a non-runner that’s pretty darn respectable. Sub-20 used to be my target as a “runner” when I was triathlon training 8 years ago.

onehundredthidiot

Still going. Last week was a drag. It’s more work fatigue, it’s the rubbish time of term but a ride at whinlatter yesterday and grizedale today should put some spring back in my step.

Was asked what I’m doing after, think I might go for the year.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Today looked like being the day where it all fell apart for me – early train down to London from Edinburgh, work, seeing a pal and then catching the sleeper back up. Fortunately I’ve managed to find a climbing wall that I can kill an hour or two at so I can just about squeeze it in!

Three quarters of the way there now – not long left!

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Weights and yoga at the weekend.Just of for a hike along the Tees now.At least its dry folks.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Has anyone started counting down rather than up? Only 15 days left!

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

No.Sort of still on it but I think this autumn weather has curtailed my enthusiasm a good deal!Must read your original post for the final push.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Chris says – “stick at it!”

sandboy

Still going but not riding so much, really felt overtrained a week or so ago and to be honest it was beginning to feel like a chore. I’ve been focusing on strength training and doing 45 minutes of circuits each day for 2 weeks, planning on getting back on the bike for the last week or so. The lad has been doing the circuits with me which has been fun and a big help to motivate each other. Hoping to do a more structured program in the new year building up for next summer. Hope everyone is in good health and sticking at it.

schmiken

Still going strong – missed a total of 10 days due to Illness but dogwalking has helped when I haven’t wanted to do a run/ride/climb.

flowerpower
    Free Member

Just a bit of an update from me…

I dropped off the thread when I missed a few days through working away. But I had already felt the benefits of doing something daily, and I had started to enjoy the running, just felt that I needed to pace myself better. I used to run 15 years ago (a couple of mountain marathons), but had done very little since

So I just carried on and to pace myself I decided to follow a ‘Garmin coach’ half marathon plan. Then I figured that I may as well enter one (Alloa – in March). With that in mind I decided to give it a real shot (I’ll be 49 next year) so entered a marathon in August (Run Mhor) in the hope to be fit as I hit 50!

So although I missed a few days early on, I’m really grateful to this thread for getting me out and starting me running. I know it sounds daft, but once I’m out there it is a great way to spend an hour on a wet, dark evening, and makes me feel so much better in myself.

Thanks all 🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

That’s impressive flowerpower – it’s a really good way to train up for events like that, and it’s excellent that you’re rediscovered something. It’s really got me hot for rock climbing again (I’m going this lunchtime – 55mph winds here today meant I decided to can the bike ride).

I think sandboy’s son has also been really inspiring – his motivation must be incredible!

onehundredthidiot

Still going sufferfest has taken a beating and my 5km on the running machine is now 3@10kmph 1@11 0.5@12 and 0.5@16 (according to machine numbers). given I was struggling to complete 5km at a mix of 8and 10 in September I’m chuffed.
    Probably going to finish by starting the festive 500 which will kick me outside, been indoors too much.

Well done all still going and all that have been using it as an inspiration to do stuff.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 402 total)

The topic ‘100 Day Challenge – Exercise every day for 100 days til Christmas’ is closed to new replies.