Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Whyte wheels – what do you need to do to set up tubeless?
  • charliemort

I believe wheels on whyte t 109 and t 129 can be converted to tubeless

Is that right – for the alloy and also for the carbon ones? Do you need to buy a kit? And do the standard tyres work tubeless also

Thanks

z1ppy

My 929 (with WTB STi 29er rims) looks to have rim tape fitted & came with the valves to convert it. I believe the tyres were tubeless, but haven’t bothered converting them

yashmac
    Free Member

I converted my WTB STi19 29″ Rims that came with a T-129 to tubeless with no problems. The rim tape is already fitted so just added a couple of Stans No Tubes valves and some sealant.

mattjg
    Free Member

I don’t have mine yet bit have been told a) everything’s included, valves too b) the stock tyres will work but not well, was advised I’ll want to try something different.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I couldn’t get the stock tyres to seal with Stans… not tried the On-Ones as yet (running those on another set of tubeless ready wheels).

Thinking of trying something else on the T129 for summer, if it ever arrives, but not quite sure what yet.

mattjg
    Free Member

I couldn’t get the stock tyres to seal with Stans.

The shop told me the same, and when they eventually did they leaked a lot and the bead stretched.

mattjg
    Free Member

The stock wheels on my T129S came pre-yellow taped (it looks OK done) and I did get valves. I’ve not yet done a setup tho.

mattjg
    Free Member

Charlie, yes but with gotchas, see the ‘other’ thread.

mattjg
    Free Member

PSA: the Ardent on the front burped today causing the rider (luckily not me 😉 ) to crash. Fortunately he was not injured. Also when I looked at putting the Ikon on the rear tubeless last week I noticed a huge kink in the beading, (I don’t believe I did that), it would never have sealed and is in the bin.

I put a tube in the Ardent, and it’s staying there.

I won’t be running these tyres tubeless on these rims again, it’s not worth the risk.

subsy
    Free Member

FWIW, the shop where I bought the bike set up the stock rims / tyres tubeless and didnt seem to have any problem whatsoever.
    So far, probably have around 36 hours of riding on them and no burps or pressure loss.

YMMV,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Whyte wheels – what do you need to do to set up tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.