Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • What's your favorite company and design?
  • gazerath
    Free Member

I’m currently teaching my students about branding and logo design and I’ve got a little side tracked in thinking of my own company design.

I’ve been looking at bike companies and mountain sports. Found some cool stuff but I’m really liking discovering independent companies.

I just wondered if anyone has any cool companies they really like which are not big corporate kings, such as Alpkit or One Planet at Llandegla.

Just looking for cool logo designs and colours and how I can show my students that the logo, name and colour is vital in brand design.

Might be a bit of an obscure topic for anyone to comment on but thought I’d ask. And I’ve got singletrack and its logo before you mention 🙂

Thanks

Gaz

maccruiskeen

If only TJ was here 🙂

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Just looking for cool logo designs and colours and how I can show my students that the logo, name and colour is vital in brand design.

Not in the least bit bike related, but remember Blue Circle cement?

It doesn’t get any better than that.

Harry_the_Spider

The Fed Ex arrow. Didn’t spot it until somebody on here mentioned it.

gazerath
    Free Member

In terms of a logo Blue Circle Industries has the one of the simplest I’ve seen

nickewen
    Free Member

Never noticed the FedEx arrow before. Cheers!

gazerath
    Free Member

fedex brilliant didn’t see or think of that

cheese@4p

Brew Dog for cool logo, creative product and marketing and….
    PUNK IPA

njee20
    Free Member

I also hadn’t seen the arrow until one of these threads! Very pleasing.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Yep, love the use of negative space in many logos. Worth looking for.

squiff
    Free Member
    SaxonRider

I think Apple’s logo is brilliant.

Other brands that appeal to me for a variety of reasons:

1. Volvo
    2. Shell
    3. Budweiser (the American one. I hate the beer, but love the label.)

I’m a big sucker for good branding, and will talk about it for hours. So I’ll probably be back with more.

Harry_the_Spider

At the other end of the scale there was the one that had a computer mouse on it… that looked like a knob.

I like this one too.

… and this one 😉

Harry_the_Spider

and Peter Saville’s work for Factory Records.

Drac

Just make sure they get it right.

AlexSimon

Very tough to pick favourites within the bike/outdoors industry. Mainly because we attach so many other values to a company and their products.

Simply beautiful

Canyon is quite interesting.

I like how the Poc logo is followed through their product design:

Narrona have a very nicely drawn figure. The humbleness (not a word) and calm of the pose is quite interesting and fits well with the brand in many ways.

Yeti?

Five Ten have that optical illusion thing going on

There’s probably hundreds of great ones and hundreds of thousands of average/bad ones 🙂

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Company originally made aircraft engines, the colours represent propellers spinning against blue sky. Note the lack of orange or anything else to imply the presence of indicators.

And Sun Microsystems

maccruiskeen

Talking about the origins of branding helps to clarify how the brand is supposed to interact with the buyer. Theres more to it than ‘this looks cool’. Back in teh olden days (when the internet was in black and white) goods were sold loose in shops. With some goods thats fine, flour is pretty much flour, sugar is sugar. Looks the same, tastes the same. No problem. With something like washing powder though, the power could be really good or really rubbish and theres not really a way to tell by looking at it. By the same measure you could pay a price for good powder one week and be sold rubbish powder by the same shop, out of the same barrel for the same price.

To tackle that manufactures had to start selling their goods in sealed packets with their name on so that their goods couldn’t be mis-sold or cut with inferior product. So a ‘brand’ in the first instance is a guarantee of quality, anything sold with the brand on should meet the expectations you have of it.

But once you’ve sealed it the customer can’t touch/taste/ sample the product so the other job of branding is to confer / infer the qualities of the product so that you can gauge whether the product is for you or not. So in many instances a brand has a duel purpose – to attract the people who would want to buy a product and who would enjoy it and also to sort of repel the people who wouldn’t want to buy it.

Apple sort of illustrates that well, in the sense of their brand’s ability to repel people who wouldn’t want their products anyway. Apple’s strength is in offering an extremely small product line up, they can’t cater for everyone if they do that so they need people to self select themselves as non-apple customers.

headfirst
    Free Member

The Garmin one is quite subtle and people don’t often get at first.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve loved this logo all my life:

sugdenr
    Free Member

for some reason I really like this

AlexSimon

I don’t know what is interesting to your students, but Kathmandu have just changed logos. From left to right.

There are some outdoor brands I find it really hard to judge objectively (although they are undoubtedly successful designs). These being 2 of them:

SaxonRider

Of course, BigButSlimmerBloke, the colours are also taken from the Bavarian coat of arms.

squiff
    Free Member

Some of my own designs

davidjones15
    Free Member

Something like this is quite unique and appealing.

bencooper
    Free Member

Mortage Brokers?

bencooper
    Free Member

I quite like mine – though I didn’t design it…

Though now I come to think about it, it does fall into the stereotypical bike company logo based on a wheel.

TooTall
    Free Member

Said up there – Patagonia.

Got the ethics to back it all up, taking it way beyond graphic design.

binners

The bestest branding ever IMHO

Simple, elegent, timeless, and generally lovely from A.M. Cassandre, who also brought us such joys as…

If you’re taking the discussion on to the use of construction in design, this stuff is as good as it gets

Also worthy of mention….

bencooper
    Free Member

Mortage Brokers?

And now you changed your picture 😉

hp_source

amazon is also quite clever with the ‘a to z’ arrow

google also need a mention for how far you can stretch a logo/branding whilst still making it recognisable with all there google doodles…

Google Doodles

squiff
    Free Member

bencooper

😳 8)

molgrips
    Free Member

The Fed Ex arrow. Didn’t spot it until somebody on here mentioned it.

Then how’s it good, if hardly anyone sees it? Logos aren’t supposed to be a smart-arsed little joke, imo.

The Sun logo is gash, I reckon.

For music related, Ministry of Sound is a cool logo.

And I’m also liking the BBC one that everyone derided when it came out.

AlexSimon

bencooper – Member

Mortage Brokers?

And now you changed your picture
    Ha – yes he has. I think STW has been quite restrained in it’s response to those. I’m biting my lip.

shotsaway
    Free Member

The Office of Government Commerce.

Probably spend a fortune on this logo a few years ago and yet nobody every turned it through 90 degrees! Or the designers were having the last laugh?

PS – The school kids will probably love this one.

The Government had to backtrack quickly after the logo was launched

The OGC Website No Longer Exists
    Please Use The Links Below For Further Information

New information can be found on the Cabinet office website: http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/
    Archived OGC information

jfletch
    Free Member

See that Mountain Hardware one really puts me off their kit. It just looks a bit cheap and nasty. Much prefer something simpler, more timeless and backed up by a bit of history. In the same arena we have…

Which are great, but this one has been ruined by chavs…

bencooper
    Free Member

To be honest, I do wonder about some logos – take this one that was in the paper a while back:

Why does a test release of some wild beavers need a logo? Still, quite clever the thing with the water.

bencooper
    Free Member

Good outdoorsy:

jota180
    Free Member

Quite like the Garmin one

Not sure about the a-Style one

jfletch
    Free Member

Its impresive how effective branding is.

I am on the lookout for a new softshell jacket and am pining over something by Mountain Equipment, Haglofs or Arcteryx but would actively avoid even considering a mountain hardware jacket.

I know that makes me a weak sheep but its scary the power it has over me in certain areas (mainly outdoor equipment and bikes) where as in other areas I won’t even notice the brand or will choose purely on price and function.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘What's your favorite company and design?’ is closed to new replies.