Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What crank tool?
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I need to remove my Shimano M442 right hand crank to change the chain rings but I can’t figure out what type it is.

There is an 8mm cap that unscrews and you can see right through the BB with both ends off. It looks like Octalink but the cranks won’t pull off so I’m wondering what tool I need? I’m hoping to get the right thing online as I can’t get to my lbs very easily at the mo.

Thanks.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Park Tool CCP-44 will take off splined cranks.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I think it might be an ISIS I just found a youtube vid with it on and the bloke has an adaptor for the crank removal tool.

Mister-P
    Free Member

It won’t be ISIS as that is the non-Shimano splined set up. It will be Octalink but the tool I mention does both of them.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

OK thanks Mister. The Shimano cranks came with the bike but the BB is newer but not sure what type. So if the cranks are Shimano it can only be Octalink in this case right? If the adaptor does both then that’s fine anyway. Thanks again.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Yep, Octalink is only Shimano and ISIS is a standard that was open to anyone. The splines on Octalink are square and ISIS are triangular.

leffeboy

Web seems to suggest that M442 cranks are square taper. Are you sure that they are splined?

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Yeah. They’re definitely not the square type fitting anyway. I just found the bikes original spec and it say’s Octalink.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What crank tool?’ is closed to new replies.