Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • what adaptor for compressor?
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

I have real trouble getting most of my tyre to inflate on my rims when running tubeless.
    This is more apparent on my 717’s, especially when running non-UST tyres and/or large volume tyres (2.4 racing ralph’s)

Before some of you ask, I will no longer persevere with a track pump – not even the compressor at my local garage gets the tyre on to the rim on some occasions.

So, i’ve finally gotten hold of an air compressor for the garage. But, what adaptor is required to fit a standard air gun type inflator in order to get a good seal on presta valves?

I’ve been using one of the standard brass jobbies ( http://www.wiggle.co.uk/silca-presta-to-schrader-valve-adapter/ )

loosely pressed into the pump at the local garage, and its done a reasonable job, but isn’t an airtight fit.
    My main trouble is I cant work out exactly which adaptors are required to attatch to an air gun inflator like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tyre-Inflator-Air-Compressor-Tool-Car-Van-Truck-Bike-Pressure-Guage-Pump-Airline-/251057475604?pt=UK_Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item3a74311014

Anyone able to show me through thier setup?

My compressor is a fairly small jobbie, with a narrow air line (need to check dimensions).

wwaswas

I’ve had similar issues and am seriously considering swapping the end of the airline bit for a spare adapter on an old track pump I have – do away with the adapter thing altogether.

Marko

Try this one:

http://reviews.wiggle.co.uk/7867-en_gb/5360061031/presta-valve-adapter-reviews/reviews.htm

The internal O-ring makes all the difference.

Hth
    Marko

slimjim78
    Free Member

ah yes, I recently purchased one just like that from ChainReaction, and it does indeed seal nicely on the valve, the trouble is, is doenst ‘screw’ into standard schraeder heads (like at the garage), rather, it kind of sits loosely in place..

I haven’t tried to attatch one to a gun type inflator like I linked above, but judging by wwaswas response above, im guessing this will still be the same issue?

ie, nicely sealed to valve, but loosely fitted to inflator.
    It’s critical that both interfaces are airtight, but as yet, I haven’t found the right kit to do the job. It must exist!

wwaswas

yes, it will be – a bit of electricians tape around the threads on the schrader bit of the adapter helps.

tbh, the biggest change I made was remvoign the valve cores and then usign one of the type Marko linked to – the o ring seals on the hole the valve goes into and you get maximum airflow into the tyre to seat the beads.

jota180
    Free Member

I use a Joe Blow hose and head grafted onto a standard tyre adaptor

slimjim78
    Free Member

wwaswas, when you mention removing the cores, I presume that means merely to seat the bead, as you’ll no doubt lose all pressure when reinserting the core?

When the bead is seated, they do seem to become easier to inflate. usually.

zilog6128

I bought a “Prestaflator” direct from the manufacturer on US eBay. Brilliant bit of kit, no idea why they don’t have a UK distributor! Looks very similar to the gizmo above ^^^ but is purpose built for the job. Came with a load of adapters as well (one of which even fit the air hose on my compressor!)

alfabus
    Free Member

http://www.prestaflator.com/

No idea whether you can buy one in the UK though.

Dave

wwaswas

slimjim78 – that’s right, once the beads are seated it’s a doddle to reinflate once the core is back in.

scruff
    Free Member

Mavic adaptors work well.

zilog6128

interesting.. is the ‘prestaflator’ not one of these:

In appearance yes, but apparently the Prestaflator has been designed to cope with much higher pressures than your average car tyre. Not an issue if you’re only using it for tubeless tyres on your bike – but could be if you also want to use it to inflate e.g. road bike tyres.

slimjim78
    Free Member

yes, having looked closer at the blurb on the prestaflator, it certainly looks like a worthy investment.

Im staggered that this kind of solution isn’t more readily available in the UK considering how many are running tubeless these days.

cheers guys

jota180
    Free Member

Not an issue if you’re only using it for tubeless tyres on your bike – but could be if you also want to use it to inflate e.g. road bike tyres.

I use mine for over 120psi at times
    TBH – road bike tyres are such low volume that a floor pump is much quicker than firing up the compressor

Lakes_Puma

I own a prestaflator, as I was in the same position so ended up ordering direct from the states, it arrived quicker than some royal mail post I’ve had!

slimjim78
    Free Member

prestaflator purchased direct!

NextDayTyres
    Free Member

Prestaflator now in the uk here ->
    http://www.nextdaytyres.co.uk/prestaflator

messiah
    Free Member

Does thread onto the outer stem as in step 3 below when the core is removed.

If so this device makes a lot of sense. Seating a tyre tubeless at this stage with normal presta adapters is a PITA as they thread onto the threads on the valve core which you want removed to get more air in (see step 3 above). Normaly have to sort of hold it on and faff about holding wheel, adapter, and squeezing compressor trigger… three handed job I tells thee.

Is that how this works?

scruff
    Free Member

Why did tubless start off with Presta? Shirley Schraedererer valves would be betterer as they have a bigger hole for more air flow?

coatesy
    Free Member

We’ve got similar guns in the workshop, and bought 1/4″ BSP tailed fittings to fit track pump hoses and adaptors that we’d salvaged from scrap pumps.Cost about a quid from Machine Mart.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘what adaptor for compressor?’ is closed to new replies.