Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What a fantastic ride….29r content.
  • ask1974
    Free Member

Had a absolute belter of a ride this morning and apart from a few minor changes it was one of the loops we often take but wow, really, really good fun. Lots to consider and why so good….?

1. The sun was out.
    2. The trails were dry and grippy.
    3. It was warm.
    4. I was riding a mates Whyte 829 (The Alloy one)

My Five has just been set up for the Alpes with big, sticky, 2.35 Maxxis High Rollers front and rear. Not much fun on an XC route so I took up the offer to borrow the hard tailed 829. The only other 29r I’ve ridden is the FS Specialized Epic which at £3,300 is around twice the price of the 829. That was lovely but I recon this was every bit as good, and probably better. For one I found it much more controlled on steep or techincal decents and had no problem thrashing it on single track; it also tried to kill me on the climbs… blimey it was so easy it made me push really bloody hard, nearly lost a lung on at least a few occasions. All in all it put a great, big, fat smile on my face and well, that’s what it’s all about isn’t it.

I’ve been wondering what I wanted for a second bike and I think I just found it. Nothing like my Five for hammering and play, but bloody fast, comfortable and fun. So thanks to Jon for the loan, Whyte for creating a brilliant 29r and the sun for shining…..finally! Not that I needed reminding but days like this really drive home how much I love riding.

😀 😀 😀

cmadd
    Free Member

Got the same bike , agree with everything you say. If you are thinking of getting a 29r demo one of these beauties.

variflex
    Free Member

Glad you enjoyed it Ali 🙂
    Now you know the secret of getting up hills quickly.
    Was a good ride out with the guys, long may the weather hold.
    Have fun in the Alps if I dont speak before, take a few photo’s to make us jealous!

mastakillah
    Free Member

Just wait until you see the 2013 29ers from Whyte. There are 4 or 5 hardtails and 4 full suspension in the range for next year. The top end one has the new Whyte carbon rims and is a hell of alot lighter than the 829 this year. Really can’t wait to ride one.

ask1974
    Free Member

Sounds good mastakillah, when should we see them coming through?

martinh
    Free Member

Geometry of the 829 is remarkably similar to the much loved Canfield Yelli Screamy. Whyte’s only mistake was to build I up with a 100mm fork. Something they rectified for 2013 with the 929.

mastakillah
    Free Member

Think its the beginning of August. Getting to demo them sometime in the 1st week too.

variflex
    Free Member

Looking at the new range, the 829 spec doesnt exist anymore, so you either have to go cheaper with less spec or a 1×10 which isnt any good for decent singletrack. Either way, they look pretty good.

I just find the 829 a really fun bike which is completely different to my other bikes which arent slouches either.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Why do you feel 1 X 10 is bad for singletrack?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Had a similar couple of rides over the weekend on my Swift, the only fly in the ointment was the trails being so overgrown from a lack of use that I repeatedly got sucked into ditches by the undergrowth! My arms look like I’ve got chickenpox again this morning with all the various stings.

That and the random 50/50 of trails so wet they were underwater and bone dry trails with no rhyme or reason to differentiate which would be which.

Why do you feel 1 X 10 is bad for singletrack?

Because singlespeed is infinately better on ‘decent singletrack’.

variflex
    Free Member

Guess it depends on which type of single track. Round my way its very hilly, so trails are hard work and great fun also as there are b ig climbs but also great decents, but not very well suited to single speed. Again it totally depends on what you want out of a bike.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What a fantastic ride….29r content.’ is closed to new replies.