Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • I feel like such a K*&B, can't fit a tyre?
  • cyclebiker

I wonder if anyone can help me?
    I have a stans crest 29er rims and WTB vulpine tyres…I want to run with a tube (as I’ve read lots about tubeless woes), anyway I even cannot get the flippin tyre on the rim to save my life.
    I have tried soap and water, neat fairy liquid (other washing up liquids are available) but I am still unable to get the tyre on the rim. I have watched several youtube videos where the “presenter” can simply put the tyre on with only hands. I’ve killed a tyre lever and am worried that if I go any further I will ruin my new rims.
    can anyone suggest a good method?
    Cheers,
    Mark.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

The inner bit of the rim is shaped to be a larger diameter at the rim edges than in the center. If you put the tyre bead nearer the centre of the rim, you will stand a greater chance of getting the tyre on.

althepal

Had the same prob with Roval traversees.. Evans weren’t able to set them up tubeless they were so tight..
    I had to buy 3 metal tyre levers to get the tyre back on to change a tube a few weeks back – nightmare!

toys19
    Free Member

Coolhandluke has it. Make sure the bead is in the centre of the rim as that’s where the smaller diameter is.

RustyMac

Coolhandluke has the answer you seek. It may seem counter intuative to push the bead of the tyre further in from the edge of the rim but it makes a big difference. The more of the bead you get in the channel in the centre of the rim the easier it is.

cyclebiker

Thanks, I’m not being a complete idiot then…Mrs. Cyclebiker is working on Saturday I’ll try again at sunrise and hope to squeeze a ride in before dark?
    Thanks for your replys.

mattjg
    Free Member

Mark I run Crest 26″

Some tyres won’t go on (reasonably) with a tube. That’s the way it is. I had to cut off a Maxxis ADvantage with a Stanley knife after a huge fight to get it on tubed. I cut it off because I would never have got it off the rim trailside, never. If you manage to get your Vulpine on eventually, will you ever get it off?

The point of Crests is to run ghetto tubeless, it’s what they are designed for, it’s what they do well.

You’re barking up the wrong tree. Change trees.

zippykona

My Ignitors were the same. I had nightmares about ever getting a puncture.
    Don’t worry they will stretch.

shortcut

It may be a lot easier to admit defeat and go tubeless!

cyclebiker

If…if i go tubeless will have have to get a sealant kit or can i just get valves seeing that i have ust rims and tyres? I have tried to get the tyre on without the tube and it felt the same…any way off to work i will fight with it this evening.
    Thanks for all your replies.
    Mark

robbo
    Free Member

Also I’d recommend the yellow Stans rim strip even if you’re running tubes as its thinner and therefore reduces the diameter on the inside of the rim.

Schweiz
    Free Member

Mount the tyre on another wheel, inflate to max rated pressure and leave overnight. The bead will stretch. Remove and mount on your crests.

Job done.

4ags4
    Free Member

For tubes: try starting opposite the valve and ensure the bead is correctly seated in the trough as you go round (as stated above) – should go on with just a bit of hard thumb pressure when you reach the valve.
    Inflate to hard to ensure the beads seat correctly on the inner edges of the rim walls.
    Deflate to required pressure.

Found this works pretty well with Crests and most brands of foldable tyres (never tried with wire bead) – and i’ve got girly hands!

Jeffus
    Free Member

Just fitted Maxxis Ikons tubless yellow tape etc went on no problems 29er rims as said keep the bead in the groove start putting the tyre on opposite the valve and finish at the valve, stans website has a great video and he explains it well , it just rolled on as it did for him in the video. ZTR Tire install

http://www.notubes.com/helpcenter.aspx

mattjg
    Free Member

If…if i go tubeless will have have to get a sealant kit or can i just get valves seeing that i have ust rims and tyres?

By all means do a dry run with no sealant but put some in before you go on the trail, then thorn flats will usually self-seal – otherwise a thorn flat will oblige you to put a tube in

What I usually do is get the tyre seated and inflated without the sealant, then deflate it, put sealant in through the valve hole, and reinflate, this has always worked for me,.

cyclebiker

Hello posting people.

I have great news after a day in the sun and all afternoon wrestling with the tyres I have them on and I am very happy, Coolhandluke (cheers dude I owe you a brew / beer) had the answer that seemed to be agreed by so many people. so thanks for all your suggestions but now they are on.
    Thanks,
    Mark.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Youre welcome Cyclebiker.

I only learned it myself about a year ago! Been riding mountain bikes for nearly 10 years.

STATO
    Free Member

cyclebiker, perchance were the vulpines on offer from jejames?

I just got one for the rear an HOLY CHRIST! I though they’d sent me a 26″ tyre at first. Now ive been there, done that fitting tyres. I can fit 99% of tyres/rims with no bother, only resorting to tyre levers for the super stubborn things like Michellin Mud2’s in winter, in a field, onto Mavic 729s. But these vulpines! christ!

I normally run rubber strips with my ralphs to ensure a tight seal but even with only yellow stans tape the vulpine was only 60-70% on before it was taught, and that was only the first bead with no valve and the tyre properly in the centre channel. I think im sending mine back as its just stupid stupid tight.

STATO
    Free Member

I should also say, once i got the second bead on (had to resort to soap/water, the shame!) i got to 75psi and the bead still was not seating. Left overnight and its better but still not 100% seated, crazy.

TheSwede
    Free Member

What is a K*&B?

singlespeedstu

TheSwede – Member

What is a K*&B?

It’s that thing that Si keeps sticking in your mouth.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Ah big toe. Strange way to spell it. I do like sucking big toes. Always was crap at hang man though.

singlespeedstu

Mmmmm.

Everyones loves the taste of toejam. 🙂

TheSwede
    Free Member

Si’s feet are beautiful. No jam or crusty cheese any where. Well on his feet any way. His knob looks like this

singlespeedstu

Woooohaa.

Si’s K*&B didn’t look like that when i saw it.

WTF have you done to it?

br
    Free Member

If…if i go tubeless will have have to get a sealant kit or can i just get valves seeing that i have ust rims and tyres?

But you haven’t got UST rims, you’ve Stans rims…

Anyway, easist way to get tyres onto a Crest rim is to use a tyre lever(s).

TheSwede
    Free Member

Had a gag reflex fit.

shinsplints

Stu I told you not to say anything about ‘us’ & ‘that’ ! X

singlespeedstu

It made me gag just looking at it before the “upgrade”

Though i did tell him it looked fantastic cause he gave me a beer.

TheSwede
    Free Member

It’s ok with the blood in it. Goes all smooth and shiny. Still gota watch those teeth in the ring though.

shinsplints

At least it’s straight swede ! 😉

singlespeedstu

Not sure what you mean Si Swede’s as straight as a nine bob note. 😀

shinsplints

Stu you cow. You said you liked the tickley teeth ! 🙂

TheSwede
    Free Member

I told you Si, it was the camera angle that made it look bent in the photo shoot!

singlespeedstu

*Waits for the photoshoped pics of Swede’s winkle.*

Where’s the winkey for having a bit of sick in your mouth?

TheSwede
    Free Member

singlespeedstu

It looks greener than i remember and the piercing holes seem to have gone.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Si had spinach a la creme.

shinsplints

& sweetcorn on end

cyclebiker

I really did not think that a K*&B and tyre thread would be so interesting, the picture on the other page looks like the male vision of the film “Teeth”…disturbing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘I feel like such a K*&B, can't fit a tyre?’ is closed to new replies.