Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • WATTBIKE training advice please
  • mikesbikes71
    Free Member

Hi All
    My 5 mins to walk to local gym has got some Wattbikes in. 2 Trainer and 2 Pro.
    I’ve synced up my iPhone and HR to it after downloading the hub app.
    Just did a 20 minute warm up with the phone guiding me followed by a 3 min power test. My MMP came out at 250W which I should imagine isn’t spectacular but its a baseline and somewhere to start my training from.

So has anyone found a good training routine to use? I’m aware there’s ones you can download but I not sure where to start really.
    I’m after increasing strength/power , fitness and weight loss although I suppose if I go after increasing power , fitness and weight loss will be a by product.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I’ve been training on a Wattbike at the gym for about 6 months – they hold classes on them a few times a week so I try to go at least once a week, often with a spin class in between and then my big MTB ride at the weekend. What I like about the Wattbike is that you can easily measure your progress. I usually try and do the 3 minute MMP, 20 minute and 2 x 8 minute tests every 6 weeks or so and am seeing decent progress of roughly 25% increase in power in the last 6 months. In between the tests I usually just do interval training and mix it up to keep it interesting,

Last week was a 10 minute warmup, and then 3 minutes at Zone 5 power then 3 minutes at Zone 2, repeated 5 times with a view to keep the power at the upper end of the zones at all times which I just about managed.

Previous week was a 10 minute warmup and then 10 seconds absolute max power, then 50 second recover repeated 5 times. The aim being to keep the max power as constant as possible. Mine went from 1150 to 950, to 750 then 480 and I could hardly do the last one which was sub 400. Couldn’t get off the bike for 10 minutes afterwards!

Only discovered the app this week so will start using that – have been taking photos of the screen at the end and am slightly annoyed the trainer hasn’t pointed out I could just sync my phone..

mrjmt
    Free Member

Well, following the huge response to my other thread…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/trainerroad-free-month

If you want a free month of trainerroad let me know.

According to this you can use it with the wattbike.

Not sure on the details, if its any use to you let me know.

frogstomp

WattBike themselves have some free plans, including a weight management one.

mikesbikes71
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I could fancy trainer road but not sure I fancy lugging my laptop into the gym.
    I did a pyramid speed workout from the app. It was good.

mrblobby
    Free Member

TrainerRoad has a very good iPhone app too. Not sure it would work with a wattbike over Bluetooth though.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I’ve always preferred to do a MAP ramp test than the 3 minute one as it’s easier to pace. I’d recommend doing one of those first. From then you can then work out all your zones

here’s a great list of Power based workouts

Favourites for me are 2×10 (not 2×20 as i’m time crunched at lunchtime)

10 x 1min – hitting power @v02max

30/30 – again power at v02max

Also been playing around with 30/15 (30sec at v02max with 15s recovery) which are really nasty – after reading this study:

Short intervals induce superior training adaptations compared to long intervals in effort matched approach

nickkanwetz
    Free Member

Hey guys,

You’ll definitely be able to use the TrainerRoad iOS app with your WattBike, but you’ll need to do so using ANT+ connectivity. Check out our Help Center article linked below to learn what you’ll need to get some hard earned training in with us:

ANT+ Connectivity

If you have any questions about getting started, shoot ’em over to support@trainerroad.com and they’ll get you sorted out. 🙂

Thanks guys!

Cheers,

Nick Kanwetz
    Community Manager at TrainerRoad – Cycling’s Most Effective Training Tool

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘WATTBIKE training advice please’ is closed to new replies.