Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Vice positioning on new workbench
  • organic355
    Free Member

Got a new budget workbench, quite pleased with not for £60. Steel frame with wooden shelves. I doubt the wood/mdf will take Much abuse but easily replaceable.

Anyway, where the best position for the vice? To one side like shown or in the middle somewhere?

samuri
    Free Member

middler than that. You’re going to be putting things in it you need plenty of room around.

edit: and yes, I’d replace the top with some heavy wood.

organic355
    Free Member

So right in the middle or in the middle 3rd?

If it’s right in the middle doesn’t it restrict the use of the flat surface for other stuff?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickjb
    Free Member

The flat surface should be full of other junk so you can’t really use any of it.

gusamc
    Free Member

mine is about 1/4 along (so as you say bench space)with jaws on edge (so I can put tall bits in upright without hitting bench),

stavromuller
    Free Member

As you can see, my vice is proportionally in the same positions you’ve placed yours. This works great, it’s been there since 1995 with no probs. It’s also in line with the side door so really long stuff can stick out (top tip).

Stoner
    Free Member

Make sure the rear jaw is positioned proud of the leading edge of the bench so that you can clamp long objects vertically.

jamesco

Needs to be as close to end as is feasable so you can work in two planes, like they were at school, and engineering college, after all what self respecting bikist can go into LBS and not say ‘I’m an engineer dontcha know’!!

kayak23

Your vise should be near to a leg ideally. Provides the most support. You don’t want any flex when smacking adjusting things with a hammer..

organic355
    Free Member

i am going to move it to the other end, about 1/4 of the way in there is more space that side.

organic355
    Free Member

oh and whats good for a top surface? old kitchen counter top? Is 600mm x 1200mm so not too big.

trail_rat
    Free Member

fire door

kitchen surface

lots of 2×2 or 4×2 glued , bolted and planed flat.

but offcuts of kitchen surface easier to come by.

if you go to your local supplier or even the woodwork corner of BnQ next tto the fire exit where they do the cutting in store they have an offcuts section for cheap cheap.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

as above, I used a collection of old stuff. When my worktop wasn’t as sturdy I had a plank below and a section above for the vice, so I could bolt it down hard and spread the load underneath.
    On positioning, imagine you need to use it to remove some hub end caps with a wheel attached and allow room for that.

convert

If treating the top as sacrificial it should not matter too much. MDF will turn into porridge with enough moisture though. Old kitchen worktop would do or a nice thick bit of (marine or exterior grade) ply would be nice.

My vice is proud of the bench, over a leg, and at a very slight angle so that very long things can be accommodated by sticking out of the door to the man cave. The last might not be relevant to where you have yours. As a lefty I prefer to have the long bit of whatever I’m cutting sticking out of the vice to the right so I can support it with my right hand. You cack handed righties might prefer it the other way around!

trail_rat
    Free Member

one thing i will say – if thats an aldi vice , remove the rotating base bit or your going to be removing nothing from anything.

just bolt it down to the table without the rotating base , as soon as you put any force into turning something the casting in the base splits.

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

I used 4×2 as a base with 18mm far eastern ply as a finish.
    I dont have much room on my work bench so I drolled the holes for the vice and only install it as and when its needed.

irelanst
    Free Member

I would say the vice is fine where it is if you’re right handed, but put it on the other end of the bench if your a wrong ‘un.

tinsy
    Free Member

If you don’t know where to position your vice I suggest you eBay off your tools. I hope this helps. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you don’t know where to position your vice I suggest you eBay off your tools. I hope this helps.

a bit harsh, but I can’t see where your going to put the laptop to ask STW mid job 😉
    (on a more practical not I did used to run my power from the room so that I could keep the cables off the bench

wwaswas

I have that bench (but with a drawer under) and put my rotating vice right in a corner over the leg so I can use it with stuff off the end of the bench as well as the front (off the end is great for cutting fork steerers etc).

It gets more support there too.

I did put another foot square lump of wood under the work top and bolted through that to give more support to the vice, tbough,

drummer
    Free Member

Vice in the middle works well…on 3/4″ ply… with too much junk on the bench to use the vice properly in the end anyway !

spacehopper

ive attached mine to the side near a leg like yours is positioned..

Ive used big bolts through the work surface and a reinforced plank with some big washers underneath the vice area..

ive also used big wingnuts on the bolts so its dead easy and quick to remove the vice if i need it out of the way for any reason!

yetidave
    Free Member

thinking that I need to take the No 0 record off and put the No3 on after reading all this, may extend the worksurface to accomodate both and increase the stuff out of boxes in the increased area to make look busy…

#edit, mounted on kitchen worktop – infact whole kitchen unit fitted, and braced into garge, next to the fridge freezer, which has both beer and icecream…

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve got a cobbled together workbench in the shed made from a kitchen work surface offcut. I have the vice at the side of the bench usually so its out of the way, but did drill some mounting holes in the front of the bench too, so I can move it between the two if needed.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Vice positioning on new workbench’ is closed to new replies.