Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Twentyfour12 solo pits
  • Paulio
    Free Member

With my first solo 24 hour race quickly approaching I’m starting to think about my pit area – how does it work at Twentyfour12? Is it best to set up my (quite big) tent right on the edge of the course (and rejoin where I left the track) or is there an official area that has to be used?

Ideally I want an area to leave my food, spare bike, workstand and spare kit etc. I’m unlikely to have any pit monkeys so I want to be able to have the food and drink on a table so I can just quickly grab it and be on my way.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

pushbikerider
    Free Member

…from what I remember they have a tented/covered area where solo’s can lay things out, but there’s nothing to stop you having an unofficial trackside ‘pit’ so long as you can nip in/out safely…

stumpy01

They have a solo camping area, that is a ‘quiet’ zone, I think. It is adjacent to the change over area, but not directly in it, I don’t think.
    There is a solo table in the changeover area for bottles etc.
    You probably could get a camping spot in the course if you wanted to & use that instead, but you’ll need to be there fairly early as the trackside spots go quickly.

njee20
    Free Member

Don’t set up a tent at all, you’ll only want to stop and sleep in it!

Paulio
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I’m planning on getting there on the Thursday so I think I’ll try and get a track side spot when I arrive. I am blessed with the gift of being to fall asleep anywhere so the tent shouldn’t offer much more temptation!

Taff
    Free Member

I had an interest in this too as I’m going. From what I understood there is the solo pit and also areas along the track where you can leave stuff if needed.

From the site:

Is there a solo tent? – Yes we make one available but with so much camping near the track not many people use it. As along as you rejoin in the same place you can leave the track go to your pitch, get sorted and rejoin.

Paulio
    Free Member

I know, I just found that too. Can’t have been looking hard enough!

Taff
    Free Member

For me it’s the protocol I don’t quite get. Read about some items though. As it says above you can come off the track and rejoin at the same place. Does that mean I can nip over the barriers in the paddock or do I have to come in/out at a certain place. Don’t really want to be finding this stuff out on the day. May send Martin an email but don’t really want to bother him…

BadlyWiredDog

24/12 is ace for soloing, the course is set up so there’s masses of trackside access. Take a table and simply stick it and your tent along the side of the track. Bottles, food etc on/under/near the table, roll in, dump old wrappers and bottles, grab new bottle and fuel, roll out, sorted.

That’s what most people do and it works really well, no temptation to limp off into a marquee and mope around wasting time 🙂

Edit: yes, you can pop off over the ropes at your pit-stop then get back on the course at the same spot no bother. You just pass through the timing thing on the start finish straight once per lap, the rest is just common sense. In real life it’s very straightforward.

Taff
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt2j0c_DHRs&feature=related[/video]
    This is what I want at 1:30. Tent right next to the track!

BadlyWiredDog

And that’s my teepee in the background with the prayer flags around that point, happy days 🙂

Taff
    Free Member

Thanks BWD, easing worries there.

BadlyWiredDog

No worries. You also, btw, get two number plates, so you have one for a spare bike if you have one and it’s a brilliant event with a really nice, engaging course. Have fun and maybe see ya there 🙂

Paulio
    Free Member

Thanks BWD and Taff, it’s all starting to come together as a plan. Just the toilet logistics to figure out now!

Taff
    Free Member

p*ss yourself and imodium are the words on the street…

Taff
    Free Member

I other the other hand am worrying about things like how many bottles, brake pads and whether to by the V1 or V2 light from mtb batteries!

Paulio
    Free Member

Batteries and pads all sorted here although it’ll be touch and go as to whether my Lumen Liberator will last the whole night.

I’m going to fill all the bottles I have (which is loads from various events and freebies) with energy drink and then when they are all empty use one of these to refill with them ready mixed drink. I’ll also have a thermos with strong coffee on standby.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

a really nice, engaging course.

great to push round in the rain when the course turns to treacle 😉

if it’s going to be wet set bike no2 up as a SS with mud tyres

Taff
    Free Member

I’m really hoping it doesn’t rain until at least mid-night

Taff
    Free Member

Just writing a list of stuff to take. Either I’m being a girl about it or there’s a lot to take before the luxuries! Got to spend a fortune on bits too

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Twentyfour12 solo pits’ is closed to new replies.