Viewing 17 posts - 401 through 417 (of 417 total)
  • Twenty years ago….What were you riding?
  • timmys

I’ve just ventured into this thread for the first time and the question of what I was riding 20 years ago is answered on the first page by transapp who posted a picture of the actual[/i] bike I was riding 20 years ago! I must have posted the pic previously and it is now a Google image hit for “Raleigh Discovery”!

transapp[/u] – Member
    one of these. And I loved it!

I actually got it for my 13th birthday which would have been 23 years ago last week. You have to love parents and the old “he’ll grow into it”. I’m 6′ 2″ and it is about the right size for me now. I must have been at least foot shorter back then!

I’ve actually very recently retrieved the bike from my Dad’s garage and treated it to some new tyres and saddle, replaced the broken thumbies with some new underbar shifters and bunged on my spare pedals for use as a commuter/hack bike.

She lives!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve just ventured into this thread for the first time and the question of what I was riding 20 years ago is answered on the first page by transapp who posted a picture of the actual bike I was riding 20 years ago!

ThreadWIN! 🙂

jodafett

I was riding a violet coloured Kirk Revolution. Massively flexy frame. It ended up in a skip with a split headtube.

………….wanders off to search internet for memories!

bearnecessities

This, with RC35’s and the full suntour groupset – way too small (16″) and bars that were about 4mm wide.

Bloody loved it.

renton
    Free Member

I was going about on a raleigh youkon and then got a job and bought one of the first muddy fox “rock and roll” full sussers in green on put white onza porcupines on it !

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bear, please tell me you had the full spec! With the Dr Dews and the Future Shock! Two of the greatest/worst evolutionary dead ends in MTB history!

bearnecessities

Bear, please tell me you had the full spec! With the Dr Dews and the Future Shock! Two of the greatest/worst evolutionary dead ends in MTB history!

Ashamedly, I can’t pretend to remember what they were?!

It was fully original though, I got it with Project 2 and suntour kit all round (still a mystery what defined the “pro” element, I always thought it was the suntour XC Pro kit). I remember the hubs has grease ports, which were flippin’ genius.

I stuck RC35’s on it, which I think were off my previous grey Cannondale M500, with an obscene amount of purple bolts.

I was a bloody legend on that bike, trackstanding all around Torquay and bunny hopping off/over anything that got in my way 😀

Keando

1988 Hardrock similar to that pictured on Page 1 and a upgraded Kona Cinder Cone (pic of actual bike in Page 5) which I still have 🙂

simmy
    Free Member

Same bike as I ride these days 😀

Rust 2 by S1mmy1, on Flickr

Well I only ride it when its dry weather as a second bike. I nipped out on it a few weeks ago, when I took the picture, intending to only be out half an hour and it turned into a 2 hour ride as I rode back to where I grew up and took it round the old trails ( well what’s left of them ) just chilling out and remembering the old days.

TiRed

Raleigh Avanti mtb – Full XT and 531 frame. Bought used and I never rode it off road 😳
    Dawes Horizon tourer – my student commuter bike, 501 frame as I couldn’t afford 531.

EDIT: I still have the XT thumb shifters on one of the tandems, but the rest have long gone.

Carlos45
    Free Member

No picture but it was the first production of a Kona Kilauea – all I remember was that them Project Two (?) forks were damn good ………

cynic-al
    Free Member

In 2 months though I was riding one of these – still the most expensive F&F I’ve ever bought at £600 – discounted trade price!

adjustablewench
    Free Member

A dodgy welsh man called jeff and the even dodgier raleigh montrey ‘mountain bike’ that he bought me as he didnt like me having a baby seat on a road bike

He is long gone and now I only have bikes ive picked 🙂

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Never had my own bike 20 years ago. But my dad had a Townsend Rambler that I was allowed to ride when he wasn’t riding it. Which was pretty much all the time.

Used it for the odd commute to uni and did a tour of youth hostels around Dublin and Wicklow on it on my first ever cycling holiday.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

mkidley
    Free Member

Some Magna BSO, but hey, I was only 8 then…

Viewing 17 posts - 401 through 417 (of 417 total)

The topic ‘Twenty years ago….What were you riding?’ is closed to new replies.