Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Trip to New York City – Help Please
  • proutster
    Free Member

As it’s Miss P’s 40th Birthday in October I’m trying to earn as many brownie points as possible, so I’ve booked us flights for a long weekend to NYC.

Hoping to do this, as much as possible, as a complete surprise i.e. Wednesday evening – “pack a bag, we’re going away for a few days tomorrow and no, I’m not telling you where”.

By the time we get to Heathrow (flying from Manchester to Heathrow then Heathrow to JFK) I’m sure she’ll have twigged but that’s OK as it’s her birthday on the Thursday.

We’ll be there from Thursday afternoon until Sunday late afternoon.

Neither of us have been before so suggestions please for:

1. Boutique Hotels close to the “action”.
    2. Things to do whilst we’re there – already thought of a helicopter flight to see the sights from above. We’re not show fans so no Broadway stuff 😀
    3. Restaurants to eat – combination of classy but relaxed?

Plus anything else that the STW collective have done / experienced.

Thanks in advance.

hels
    Free Member

It’s years since I have been in New York, must the Museums are pretty special. Natural History, Metropolitan, and my favourite, the Guggenheim.

Got taken around some Irish bars by a few locals. Spotted Al Pacino walking down the street in Chelsea.

hels
    Free Member

Shopping is good too, I think Century 21 got flattened on 9/11, but there are some great second hand warehouse places in Brooklyn.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Boutique Hotels close to the “action”.

I stay here usually –
    http://www.hotelmela.com/

Rooms aren’t massive, but it’s very well located and very good service all round. Plus, just up the road from John’s Pizzeria…(Hmm, hungry now!) Good bar called The Long Room just next door to the hotel as well, with a great range of US microbrews.

The Met is indeed a MUST VISIT piece of NY. The Guggenheim is great, providing there’s something good on. Otherwise it’s a very expensive architectural tour, IMHO.

Top of the Rock is good as well.

Breakfast at Loeb’s Boathouse in the Park is a real winner if the weather’s nice. Go to the “posh” bit on the waterfront.

sandwicheater

Check out PDT (Please Don’t Tell). Cool bar/speak easy. Only assessable through a phone booth at the back of a hot dog restaurant and you must book, ace!
    http://pdtnyc.com/

FuzzyWuzzy

Been a couple of years since I went but we stayed at The Alex hotel which was OK although not mind-blowing. For a restaurant I’d recommend Rothmann’s, food was great (assuming you like steak or seafood anyhow, didn’t try other stuff) and the wine list is massive, prices aren’t crazy either unless you go silly with some of the wines (Porterhouse for 2 if you both like steak would be my choice)… http://www.rothmanns54.com/home.html

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

EDIT: Just read your post more fully.

crispo
    Free Member

My top sightseeing tip is the Top of the Rock.

Its in a better location then Empire state building as it is right by central park so you get a great view of that. Also the Empire state is nice to look over at whereas the Rockafella isnt so great. They do a dawn and dusk ticket which you go up once in the day and once at night which is really good as it looks so different, doesnt cost much more either.

Other tips from my trip:

Great diner called Pershing Square opposite Grand Central station, amazing place for breafast, think awesome pancakes, waffles, ‘french toast’ etc

When we went we got a 3 day subway pass and just used that to get around. Its a long way from downtown to Central park so using the subway means you can see alot in a short time.

Just spend an afternoon exploring central park, its huge and loads of bits to it. We were very touristy and had a hot dog there, gotta be done!

enduro-aid
    Free Member

I spend quite a lot of time in New York as I have family there so any questions just pm me

but off the top of my head

for short distances (up to 15 blocks) walk…new york is amzing just to wander and people watch, over 15 blocks use the subway, dont bother with cabs or the black limos they are expensive and slow

spend a day down in soho / noho and chelsea…all have amazing wee coffee shops and bars and have a very nice friendly culture

check out the highline in chelsea its a old high level railway line they have made into a park its a wonderful city space

dont do empire state building its crap and the Q is huge go up the rock much nicer and better views and no big iron bars at the top

food wise head to the shake shack on union square for awesome shakes and burgers…also seek out the le meridan hotel just off columbus circle, just to the right of the reception desk behing a big curtain you will see a neon burger sign…its a tiny burger joint and its the best in the city…also walk over the broklyn bridge and just under the bridge on the broklyn side is Grimaldi’s pizza joint..best pizza in NYC they only sell by the full pie so best be hungry

for posh food check out del frisco’s on 49th and 6th serious steak and sea food for a special night

one of the best tourist thing in the city and its free is the staton island ferry…jump on and grab a beer and take a seat out side for view of the statue. folk actually pay for the statue cruise not knowing you can get the same view for free on the ferry haha

like i said any questions just ask

enduro-aid
    Free Member

oh and remember to complete an ESTA before you go…….seen it too many times when folk arrive at the check in desk and are asked “have you been approved through ESTA” and they look blankly back haha

jd77
    Free Member

dont do empire state building its crap and the Q is huge go up the rock much nicer and better views and no big iron bars at the top

Also, the ticket for the top of the rock includes entry to MOMA which is worth a visit. As for eating, the Spotted Pig in the west village has a good rep, and as its basically a pub its fairly relaxed

DaRC_L

Went there 18months ago
    Top Of The Rock = great

Central Park = could have spent the whole afternoon there

Musuems = the other people we were with aren’t museum people 🙁 So I’d love to go

Staten Island Ferry = agreed

Walking = we walking from our hotel 20 blocks south of Central Park to the Staten Island ferry which was a great walk (although you’ll probably want to take a taxi back)

Shopping = Bloomingdales according to my shopping expertwife & Tiffany’s was good for the blink; but as it’s her 40th don’t take her unless you want to buy her something…

If you’re rock fans then you could do your own tour of famous album covers – Les Zep’s Physical Graffiti, New York Dolls & Hotel Chelsea

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

ESTA + Many, many millions!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you’re rock fans then you could do your own tour of famous album covers – Les Zep’s Physical Graffiti, New York Dolls & Hotel Chelsea

Not forgetting this…
    http://www.timeout.com/newyork/things-to-do/flight-of-the-conchords-walk

br
    Free Member

make sure her passport is not out-of-date…

proutster
    Free Member

Some great advice so far, thanks to all.

Noticed the ESTA thing on the tickets yesterday, so that’s to be done later this week when she’s out 😀

At the moment I can see enough Brownie points that n+1 should get easier!! But, as always, I’m well aware that those points are very difficult to earn but extremely easy to lose…

Keep ’em coming!!!

choron
    Free Member

+1 for top of the rock. Also if you like seafood, one of my alltime favourite restaurants is the seagrill in the plaza underneath the rockerfeller center. Great food, great views, and a pricetag to match.

timnwild

For eats, I loved Les Halles. Bistro food, great staff, nice wine, feels like a proper night out. Do NOT stay at the W in Times Square – I’ve never been treated more badly by a hotel in my life.

scuttler

make sure her passport is not out-of-date…

I think it may need six or even twelve months remaining on it to be valid. Have a dig around for passport and ESTA requirements or else your effort to impress will end with a weekend in London.

proutster
    Free Member

Well done all, some great ideas there- thanks.

Checked the passports and plenty of life left in both, so just the ESTA thingies to do tomorrow evening when she’s out.

sniff
    Free Member

Go to a Knicks game at Madison Square Gardens. Bizarrely the do draft Newcastle Brown!

Phone immigration and ask if there are any warrants for dudes with the same name as you – that’ll avoid a 5 hour wait while they phone the UK and check you out. *still fuming*

beej

We stayed here:
    http://www.iroquoisny.com/

Highly recommend it. Great location. Concierge got us four face value Blue Man group tickets (at their original, small theatre venue) when everywhere was telling us it was sold out.

robidoo
    Free Member

Proutster who did you book the helecopter flight with, it’s my wifes 40th in a couple of weeks too.
    I tried to book NY on the sly but she opened my mail (by mistake………hmmmmm!) and found a what to do in NY book.

proutster
    Free Member

Well, that was a win!!

On the evening before her B’Day I told Miss P that she needed to pack a bag as we were going away, but wouldn’t say where to – only that it would be warmer than here.

Then a surprise meal with 12 friends and family that night.

Then on the morning of her Birthday I gave her 2 B’Day cards, the first had a photo of the hotel inside (which could, obviously, have been anywhere) and the second contained a small street map showing the area around Times Square. She guessed it at that clue and was pretty excited!!

Anyway, thanks to:

Captain Flashheart
    1. We stayed at Hotel Mela and were very impressed with everything – the staff, room, location – all were perfect.
    2, Top of the Rock – superb (thanks also to Crispo, enduro-aid, jd77, DARC L, Choron).
    3. Brunch at Loebs Boathouse – what a setting and atmosphere.

FuzzyWuzzy – dinner at Rothmanns 54 was brilliant, great food, service and atmosphere.

Enduro-aid
    1. The burger at Le Meridien was great. What a funky little place. I’m sure Miss P wondered what-on-earth we were doing queuing in a corridor to the side of the reception desk but it was well worth it.
    2. Staten Island Ferry – couldn’t believe it was free!! Great views (thanks also to DARC L).

Timnwild – dinner @ Les Halles was great, they seem to think they really are French (i.e. it was disorganised amd we had to wait a while for our table, but there are worse places to wait!!).

The helicopter flight on Friday morning (booked through Zip Tours) was a highlight – we were lucky to have clear blue skies and 25-30C on both Friday and Saturday.

We’ve both now rated it as our favourite city and will be going back – perhaps next winter, when it’s cold and there’s snow on the ground, for Xmas shopping.

Anyway, thanks to all – the Brownie points are well and truly in the bag 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, that was a win!!

*Feels a warm glow of satisfaction*

Glad it all worked out for you!

Ro5ey
    Free Member

EDIT Whoops … I didnt read the whole post only the OP…

So how did I do on my “late” recommendations?

1) we stayed at a pretty cool hotel just west of time square.. I’ll find the name.

2) Yes …a helicopter trip is ace.

3) City Crab for great seafood and a relaxed atmos … Pastrami on rye in a diner just south in central park somewhere

Also get the stratton island ferry over to stratton island and back it’s free and it’s goes right past statue on Liberty… plus you get to see the NYC skyline from a distance which is great.

Other than that, just walking about taking the sight and the sounds in… it’s basically just great begin there.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Trip to New York City – Help Please’ is closed to new replies.